• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to leave this here. You can hate it or like it as you wish, I don't really care what you do with your life TBH

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca.../?src=nl&mag=rdt&list=nl_rdt_news&date=080318
Truly an incredibly impressive feat of a car that has incredible promise for the next generation of automobiles, although I hope when race cars inevitably go electric, they'll figure out the cooling stuff a bit better. This stuff is going to go downmarket fast and that's perhaps one of the best things about Tesla, is pushing performance alongside technology.

Car of the decade, no question IMO.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Truly an incredibly impressive feat of a car that has incredible promise for the next generation of automobiles, although I hope when race cars inevitably go electric, they'll figure out the cooling stuff a bit better. This stuff is going to go downmarket fast and that's perhaps one of the best things about Tesla, is pushing performance alongside technology.

Car of the decade, no question IMO.
In terms of the cooling stuff, the 3 is notable because it will hypothetically sell for $35k. Judging from this guy running his almost base (except long range battery) 3 at Laguna Seca, the $35k car one can actually do almost the same thing in terms of running with minimal cooling throttle back as the Performance version except it will not have the 3.5s 0-60 nor will it have the Track Mode function.

Much more expensive electric cars, and race cars, have had no issues with cooling awhile now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_E
Formula E has been operating for some years and their cars have pretty hefty cooling in place. They used to have to hot-swap cars during races not because of cooling but because they needed the batteries to be lighter for racing and so the capacity was smaller. But even that is going away soon as they are now moving to a higher-density battery pack for next season.

In terms of road cars, both the NIO EP9 and the Rimac Concept One (which Richard Hammond famously crashed on The Grand Tour) are supercars that don't overheat when driven hard for a long time. The upcoming $200k new Tesla Roadster will presumably also not have problems with overheating.

NIO EP9 running the Nurburgring without any heat issues:

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of the cooling stuff, the 3 is notable because it will hypothetically sell for $35k. Judging from this guy running his almost base (except long range battery) 3 at Laguna Seca, the $35k car one can actually do almost the same thing in terms of running with minimal cooling throttle back as the Performance version except it will not have the 3.5s 0-60 nor will it have the Track Mode function.

Much more expensive electric cars, and race cars, have had no issues with cooling awhile now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_E
Formula E has been operating for some years and their cars have pretty hefty cooling in place. They used to have to hot-swap cars during races not because of cooling but because they needed the batteries to be lighter for racing and so the capacity was smaller. But even that is going away soon as they are now moving to a higher-density battery pack for next season.

In terms of road cars, both the NIO EP9 and the Rimac Concept One (which Richard Hammond famously crashed on The Grand Tour) are supercars that don't overheat when driven hard for a long time. The upcoming $200k new Tesla Roadster will presumably also not have problems with overheating.

NIO EP9 running the Nurburgring without any heat issues:

Oh wow, I didn't know Formula E wasn't gonna hotswap their batteries anymore, neat.

Super exciting times for cars right now, indeed.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Please keep your eye out for tires on sale, mine are shot. Looking specifically for a set of Michelin pilot super sports (or equivalent).

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to leave this here. You can hate it or like it as you wish, I don't really care what you do with your life TBH

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca.../?src=nl&mag=rdt&list=nl_rdt_news&date=080318

That's an interesting read. Electric sports cars have come a long way, that's for sure. I don't know if anyone else enjoys the Goodwood Festival of Speed hillclimb, but this year an electric car won, just madness:

Still, I don't know if I could really dig owning an electric car. The roar of a petrol engine is an essential part of the driving experience.

Deleted member 1852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please keep your eye out for tires on sale, mine are shot. Looking specifically for a set of Michelin pilot super sports (or equivalent).
You can order most Michelins at Costco even if they don't have them in stock there. Call the nearest Costco Tire Center and tell them what you want and they can probably look it up and order it. Michelin and Bridgestone rotate sales there so wait until the next Michelin sale.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2016 GTI SE. Took it for a drive today and absolutely loved it. Car is in great condition and is a blast to drive. Would be my first car purchase so obviously a bit nervous/excited... any last minute things I should be thinking about??

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
You can order most Michelins at Costco even if they don't have them in stock there. Call the nearest Costco Tire Center and tell them what you want and they can probably look it up and order it. Michelin and Bridgestone rotate sales there so wait until the next Michelin sale.
Nice. Thank you. Not a member but my parents and in laws bith are. I assume tire sales are advertised on their website?

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Just bought a brand new Porsche - my first. Kind of a childhood dream so I'm pretty fucking amped right now.

n3Zljfu.jpg

Literally just paid the deposit after getting a few grand off following my visit to the showroom on Saturday. I'm still shaking, ha.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought a brand new Porsche - my first. Kind of a childhood dream so I'm pretty fucking amped right now.

n3Zljfu.jpg

Literally just paid the deposit after getting a few grand off following my visit to the showroom on Saturday. I'm still shaking, ha.

Congratulations! It's a nice ride.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

n3Zljfu.jpg

nice! 718 gts?

as for me i haven't started my porsche restoration

i did changed my pedals bought rennline kit. and fixed my AC. and this week the stereo. using a bluetooth+aux only as source. no more headunit

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I was driving back from picking up my son at the Worcester, MA Uno on Saturday night when what do I see pulling onto Park Ave? A freaking Enzo Ferrari! In Worcester. First one I've ever seen anywhere.

Left my jaw on the floor. I wish I could have taken a picture!

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017

n3Zljfu.jpg

Im so happy for you. The smell, the feel, its unlike any other car in the world. There is no substitute.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I was driving back from picking up my son at the Worcester, MA Uno on Saturday night when what do I see pulling onto Park Ave? A freaking Enzo Ferrari! In Worcester. First one I've ever seen anywhere.

Left my jaw on the floor. I wish I could have taken a picture!
Lucky!

I've never seen my dream car in person, but I went to an auto show once where they had it in the back and if you asked to see it, you could, but I didn't know until afterwards (seems odd in general), but I really wish I had known then.

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

n3Zljfu.jpg

I fucking hate you. Congratulations!

golem

Oct 25, 2017

One person is right in this video and one is wrong ;)

Also everyone should own a Porsche at one point in their lives so obviously BriareosGAF you should do it.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
While I love living in Canada due to all the freedoms and advantages it gives me, probably the one area I don't like is that difference in automarket compared to the US. It is so much easier to get a really nice luxury brand sport car down south, whether new or used, compared to the price we pay up here.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have a newer WRX?
Looking at a possibly moving on a newer 2018 one.

I need something with 4 doors with the kiddo on the way.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine

Not quite newer, I have a '14 WRX, although my kids were all post car-seat age when I picked it up. It was the last of the hatches so I imagine the interior dims have changed with the line refresh. Hatch is great for getting strollers in/out I would guess, although the total volume is actually not as large as you might think vs a sedan.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Rant alert:
I am so tired of a mess that I've had for a year.

Last years some goons keyed my car when I moved to Philly - like within the first 2 weeks of me moving. I literally think it was cause my car was probably the most expensive looking, with tire stickers, the red paint and what not. Regardless, they scratched it so deep that I needed all 4 doors repainted.

Needless to say, getting the doors painted fucked up many things in my car, even though the body shop was Mercedes Qualified and the best in the region - they fucked up both my rear window regulators and I didn't notice until a week later. (also they did a shit job at buffing the paint as there were paint drop concentrations all over prompting me to fix that shit myself)

Which prompted me to go to the dealer and have them fix it. They fixed only one side.
So I went back to have them look at the other side and they claimed "dust was preventing the other side from coming up." For the first time I actually got mad at my service rep - I dont know if he expected me to believe him and drive off with that issue. Like lol, do most people believe shit like that?

regardless, fuck people who key cars, fuck people who cant do their job, and fuck service reps who bullshit in really stupid ways. I cant wait till my window is fixed and hopefully with no other dramas unfolding.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rant alert:
I am so tired of a mess that I've had for a year.

Last years some goons keyed my car when I moved to Philly - like within the first 2 weeks of me moving. I literally think it was cause my car was probably the most expensive looking, with tire stickers, the red paint and what not. Regardless, they scratched it so deep that I needed all 4 doors repainted.

Needless to say, getting the doors painted fucked up many things in my car, even though the body shop was Mercedes Qualified and the best in the region - they fucked up both my rear window regulators and I didn't notice until a week later. (also they did a shit job at buffing the paint as there were paint drop concentrations all over prompting me to fix that shit myself)

Which prompted me to go to the dealer and have them fix it. They fixed only one side.
So I went back to have them look at the other side and they claimed "dust was preventing the other side from coming up." For the first time I actually got mad at my service rep - I dont know if he expected me to believe him and drive off with that issue. Like lol, do most people believe shit like that?

regardless, fuck people who key cars, fuck people who cant do their job, and fuck service reps who bullshit in really stupid ways. I cant wait till my window is fixed and hopefully with no other dramas unfolding.

Damn, that sucks. Philly is only good for getting your education and something good to eat. Got out of there ASAP.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So that's why my wipers stopped working...

JWghl7C.jpg

Pictured: wiper motor vs all the lint I pulled out that was clogging it up

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well shit.

The 718 was such a better car compared to the 982 GT4. The 718 GT4 is going to be wild. I wish I could justify getting in line for the Spyder.

great. nothing set in stone yet. i still have my 4c & 3.2 carrera + another alfa

i just finished upgrading the pedals of the 3.2 carrera... used the rennline one. and today i needed help to remove and install new set of speakers for the 3.2

deleted the headunit and replaced it with a bluetooth+aux receiver from

https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/hidden-audio/hidden-bluetooth-amplifier/

works great and sounds decent too...

as to when Ill start the full restoration and reupholster by carlex design + rsr look upgrade im still buying parts bit by bit and im almost halfway there

for the car itself it was engine rebuilt awhile ago. (haven't fully broken it in) no visible rust hopefully wont find gremlins when we start to fully strip this

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Any recommendations as to what to go for when detailing a brand new Porsche guys? Picked mine up on Saturday (oh boy) and I'm not sure what to have done when I book her in for detailing this week.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my boost problem fixed.... 25 year old solenoids aren't the most reliable. Now that my internals are all up to par can focus on cleaning up the interior/exterior!

Senger

Oct 27, 2017
xDKCbUt.jpg

Picked this up over the weekend. Primarily as a road trip car/family hauler. Traded in my 14 manual Mazda 6. Will miss the third pedal but the 5.0 is quick and so smooooth! Took it to San Diego (~200 miles) and let the adaptive cruise do most of the driving. Works surprisingly well. Don't trust it completely but will be using it a lot more than expected.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking good!

I need something with 4 doors with the kiddo on the way.

I had a 2013 WRX and looked at the 2018 STI and WRX closely before buying my Focus RS. I think the WRX is impressive for the price point of the base WRX. In that segment it beats out the competition pretty handily. The interior is spacious, great visibility. It gets good gas mileage. It's fun to drive. I think Subaru's AWD is fantastic, particularly in the snow or wet, very grippy and predictable. It's just a capable car overall and great on the street. I do hear that the tuning is kinda wonky and cuts power a lot but a tune would fix that.

I don't think the Limited trim is worth the price. At that point you are within spitting distance of the Civic Type R, if you can find one without dealer markup, and you don't mind losing all-wheel drive. Premium with Recaros would be the trim I'd go for.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Haven't checked in in a couple of days and I see I have missed some stuff. It's good to be back! Someone linked a "unicorn" car on another forum and I had to share it here. I didn't even think you could get one like this in 2012. It's a BMW 650i with a 6 speed manual of all things. https://www.carmax.com/car/15368516

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I was going into Best Buy today I saw several Porsches in the parking lot including a GT2RS. It looked amazing @_@

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
What's ERA's thoughts on the time to change tyres? At my recent service last month, they noted that the front left was below the wear indicator (5mm), three other tyres were ok

They recommended I change the front two tyres but the OCD in me wants to change all four

Current tyres are Continental ContiSport 5P which have done 34,000km but based on my research, Michelin Pilot Sport 4s seems the way to go. Also not sure if there are any drawbacks of having different brands at the front and rear of the car

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Bugatti has unveiled the Divo. Much more radical changes to the bodywork than I expected. Vulcan-esque tail lights.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I like that!

Now everyone thats driving a mere Chiron looks like a chump.. jk

----
Audi PB 18 E-tron
Showcar-5-1440x1029.jpg

Showcar-4-1440x1029.jpg

Showcar-1-1440x1080.jpg

Last edited: