• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My current baby. 2016 Jaguar XF S, just 7k miles on the clock.

Murdered out all black (grills, vents, wheels etc). Well optioned (10" Touch Pro infotainment, TFT dials, 20" rims, upgraded sound system, cold climate etc).

HeUNgB.jpg

AhJAR7.jpg

EdOOdj.jpg

UsQLsW.jpg

D5CUUK.jpg

dfdWLj.jpg

Last edited:

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Saleen is back?

01-2018-saleen-s1-la-1.jpg

04-2018-saleen-s1-la-1.jpg

The Saleen 1 revealed at the L.A. Auto Show is a compact, elegant mid-engine sports car that looks surprisingly finished coming from such a low-volume manufacturer. The car on display is clearly a prototype, but we were surprised at just how good it looks in person slathered in a dynamic orange paint. Even its leather-swathed interior didn't have the usual glued-together toy-like appearance expected of cars like this.

Details are a bit scarce about the Saleen 1, but here are the basics. It's roughly the size of the Porsche 718 Cayman and weighs in at 2,685 pounds. Its construction features an aluminum tub and carbon fiber body. Its 2.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder is apparently a ground-up Saleen creation, boasting 450 horsepower and 350 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed manual will be standard and a "paddle shifted automatic" with an unknown number of gears and clutches is optional. Saleen says it'll go from zero to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds.

Looks like a Chinese supercar alright.. The Raptor had so much potential :(

jongkookie

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey an auto OT... been hanging out at SLAENT since that's where almost all of the people migrated to and didn't know ERA had one so I guess I'll say hi lol.

Here's my ride:

It's also in glorious plaid because how else would you spec a GTI?

Haven't done any major mods coz I'm still under warranty but I did receive my Golf R replica HIDs this past weekend... will install it ASAP(pending when a shop can do it tbh) coz the reflector headlights are the only thing I really hate about my GTI. I was looking for a GTI with the performance and lighting package but it was like looking for a unicorn, so when this one(a GTI with the PP) popped up, I snagged it almost immediately.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Generally speaking, it doesn't look bad (although not beautiful by any stretch), and so much more defined than it's concept, but still feels so unnecessary from this particular manufacturer. I get it for Porsche, Aston, Rolls-Royce, Bentley etc. but it seems like nobody is safe as even Ferrari is full steam ahead with their SUV :( I guess the market will always be there for this kind of thing but it always feels like slow brand dilution.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Wondered if I could get some advice from you guys and gals.

So I recently picked up a Jaguar XF S (V6 3.0D) and I love it, however, I'm not sure I'm getting the most out of it because of the tires it's on.

Essentially I'm finding it is quite wheelspin happy. Pushing to full or even sometimes a little over half throttle, in the current weather and conditions the rear wheels spin right away. This isn't an issue so much, but I tend to drive quite aggressively and the wheelspin aspect is making me a tad more cautious or less confident than I'd like.

Granted the car has 516 ft-lb of torque, which is a hell of a lot for a RWD car, so I'm not surprised it wheelspins, but I didn't expect it in normal driving mode (not even in Sport or Dynamic), even when I'm not flooring the throttle.

Right now in the UK it's very cold, often icy (-4°C to say 8°C on average) and I'm thinking part of the ease to wheelspin might be the road conditions coupled with the tires I'm on, especially given my tire tread is perfectly healthy.

The car is factory fitted with Continental ContiSportContact 5P tires, which I've noticed on the manufactures website are high performance summer tires, designed for sports cars and ideal for temperatures 7°C and above.

Question is, do I stick with these tires despite the current climate and temperatures being colder than the tires are ideally designed for (there won't actually be any snow though), or will switching to a different tire give me back a bit more confidence and notably reduce the ease of wheelspin?

I don't want to go through the hassle and expense of changing tires if the difference is going to be minor, especially when summer comes around the corner and my Continentals will be ideal again. If however winter tires would make a fair bit of difference in colder temps, I'd definitely consider them.

What are your thoughts?

_______

Oh, and here's some images of the car. 2016 Jaguar XF S, just 7k miles on the clock.

Murdered out all black (grills, vents, wheels etc). Well optioned (10" Touch Pro infotainment, TFT dials, upgraded sound system, cold climate etc).

gMa5Ft.jpg

UsQLsW.jpg

D5CUUK.jpg

dfdWLj.jpg
Winter tires will definitely make a difference but it wont be cheap. Unless it isn't raining much or snowing, I suggest keep your current tires and manage the throttle. Keep the car in comfort so throttle is more dull and less sensitive. I've never put winter tires on my M235i, even during cold winters but where I live it doesn't snow at all and it only rains rarely but we do get -2c temps sometimes.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Winter tires will definitely make a difference but it wont be cheap. Unless it isn't raining much or snowing, I suggest keep your current tires and manage the throttle. Keep the car in comfort so throttle is more dull and less sensitive. I've never put winter tires on my M235i, even during cold winters but where I live it doesn't snow at all and it only rains rarely but we do get -2c temps sometimes.

Yea that's what I'm thinking too.

In fact, now I'm actually thinking of swapping over to a full set of Michelin Super Sport 4S's for all year use, as Jaguar is willing to put some money towards a swap over, and I can get a really good deal with my local shop. From what I've read the Michelin's are some of the best tires on the market and should give me a bit of extra traction comparative to the tread on my current set. The Conti's, in contrast, have a reputation for being great performers but more so towards the beginning of their life, otherwise they apparently wear and lose optimal performance quicker than other brands, and are a stiffer compound which don't like the cold as much.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Yea that's what I'm thinking too.

In fact, now I'm actually thinking of swapping over to a full set of Michelin Super Sport 4S's for all year use, as Jaguar is willing to put some money towards a swap over, and I can get a really good deal with my local shop. From what I've read the Michelin's are some of the best tires on the market and should give me a bit of extra traction comparative to the tread on my current set. The Conti's, in contrast, have a reputation for being great performers but more so towards the beginning of their life, otherwise they apparently wear and lose optimal performance quicker than other brands, and are a stiffer compound which don't like the cold as much.
You can't go wrong with Pilot Sport 4S, best tire in the market.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Really interesting. I wonder if being under Chinese ownership means they might be more affordable?

Probably not, see Jaguar and Land Rover (owned by Indian Tata), though that's understandable given most JLR production vehicles (bar those for the Asian markets) are still designed and made in Coventry, Merseyside, Warwickshire, Birmingham and Solihull (all in England).

Presumably production of Lotus vehicles will remain in the UK? (Hethel, Norfolk.)

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Probably won't see price come down. Volvo prioritized their luxury segment over their premium vehicles under Geely. They'll probably be cheaper than Porsche but not "affordable". Maybe they'll be alternatives to the Corvette.

I know I want one. Used Lotus and Maserati has always been a dream car but the maintenance and reliability have been big red flags.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I got my Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's fitted. Already feeling an improvement in terms of handling feedback. You get an ever so slightly better sense of the car and it's connection to the road. I've also gained a bit of traction back, so whilst it can and does still wheelspin on flooring it, they bite down and dig in earlier and as a result appear to let you feel or extract more of the torque.

Not sure if they're necessarily better at cornering overall than the Continental 5P's, as the latter was excellent in that regard and very confidence inspiring and direct, but at the limit of cornering at high speed, I do feel I have less correction to do with the Pilot Sport 4 S's as they seem to hold positioning at high-speed cornering ever so slightly better.

Road noise between the two tires is about the same.

Anyway, a quick snap. Already got them muddy as I had to park on some dirt at a building site. Also, for those that are curious, they come with around 8mm of tread on them new.

ZkkLT1.jpg

Last edited:

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
McLaren announced the Senna yesterday. Slots in-between the 720S and McLaren P1 in terms of pricing, but apparently the performance will be comparable to the P1, if not better. Asking price of around £750,000 (already sold out), 789bhp, no electric hybrid systems.

I really like it from certain angles, but others it just looks slightly toy-like, over exaggerated or strange.

front_3-4_2.jpg

dead_front_high.jpg

rear_3-4.jpg

side_on.jpg

rear_high.jpg

rear_low.jpg

dsc02102-2.jpg

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
My new pickup. 1991 Honda CRX. 5 speed, bought from the original owner, 141k miles and in excellent mechanical shape.

Just took it out to the mountains and it is an absolute blast. I love the tiny 13" wheels. :lol

dsc01322_auto_nowb-codoq14.jpg

dsc01320_auto_nowb5cuzy.jpg

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Wondered if I could get some advice from you guys and gals.

So I recently picked up a Jaguar XF S (V6 3.0D) and I love it, however, I'm not sure I'm getting the most out of it because of the tires it's on.

Essentially I'm finding it is quite wheelspin happy. Pushing to full or even sometimes a little over half throttle, in the current weather and conditions the rear wheels spin right away. This isn't an issue so much, but I tend to drive quite aggressively and the wheelspin aspect is making me a tad more cautious or less confident than I'd like.

Granted the car has 516 ft-lb of torque, which is a hell of a lot for a RWD car, so I'm not surprised it wheelspins, but I didn't expect it in normal driving mode (not even in Sport or Dynamic), even when I'm not flooring the throttle.

Right now in the UK it's very cold, often icy (-4°C to say 8°C on average) and I'm thinking part of the ease to wheelspin might be the road conditions coupled with the tires I'm on, especially given my tire tread is perfectly healthy.

The car is factory fitted with Continental ContiSportContact 5P tires, which I've noticed on the manufactures website are high performance summer tires, designed for sports cars and ideal for temperatures 7°C and above.

Question is, do I stick with these tires despite the current climate and temperatures being colder than the tires are ideally designed for (there won't actually be any snow though), or will switching to a different tire give me back a bit more confidence and notably reduce the ease of wheelspin?

I don't want to go through the hassle and expense of changing tires if the difference is going to be minor, especially when summer comes around the corner and my Continentals will be ideal again. If however winter tires would make a fair bit of difference in colder temps, I'd definitely consider them.

What are your thoughts?

_______

Oh, and here's some images of the car. 2016 Jaguar XF S, just 7k miles on the clock.

Murdered out all black (grills, vents, wheels etc). Well optioned (10" Touch Pro infotainment, TFT dials, upgraded sound system, cold climate etc).

gMa5Ft.jpg

UsQLsW.jpg

D5CUUK.jpg

dfdWLj.jpg

I don't know if anyone's answered yet. I don't think you are going to get much more grip out of a winter class tire. As long as it's not super cold or icy, a uhp summer class is going to give you the better grip than a winter or all season.

With high torque in cold weather like that, it's wheelspin will come easily. How's the traction control work for you?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My new pickup. 1991 Honda CRX. 5 speed, bought from the original owner, 141k miles and in excellent mechanical shape.

Just took it out to the mountains and it is an absolute blast. I love the tiny 13" wheels. :lol

dsc01322_auto_nowb-codoq14.jpg

dsc01320_auto_nowb5cuzy.jpg

Nice. Now don't let it get stolen, lol.

I've been tempted to get an old honda. I've never owned one and there's always a ton on craigslist. But I've never really been into fwd. Plus I think I also want an rx7. Decisions.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if anyone's answered yet. I don't think you are going to get much more grip out of a winter class tire. As long as it's not super cold or icy, a uhp summer class is going to give you the better grip than a winter or all season.

With high torque in cold weather like that, it's wheelspin will come easily. How's the traction control work for you?

Traction control didn't help all that much tbh, but it's because of all the torque.

As an update, I swapped to an entire set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires (summer performance tires), and I've definitely seen an improvement in traction and overall grip, especially in the wet. I still get wheelspin at command, but I can modulate the throttle far better to get better off the line or rolling pace.

The new tires have given me enough confidence that I leave the car in Dynamic Sport mode all the time now. On the old Continentals, I was a bit cautious to do that.

Random side note, I've noticed because of the torque, pulling power is barely reduced with a fully loaded car full of passengers in this car. Where on my previous BMW I'd notice the more sluggish performance as a result of the added weight immediately, with the XF S you barely feel the difference in performance from a lot of added load/weight. In fact sometimes the added weight with a car full of passengers means you get less wheelspin and often a more efficient or linear pull.

Anyway, appreciate the follow up advice!

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Traction control didn't help all that much tbh, but it's because of all the torque.

As an update, I swapped to an entire set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires (summer performance tires), and I've definitely seen an improvement in traction and overall grip, especially in the wet. I still get wheelspin at command, but I can modulate the throttle far better to get better off the line or rolling pace.

The new tires have given me enough confidence that I leave the car in Dynamic Sport mode all the time now. On the old Continentals, I was a bit cautious to do that.

Random side note, I've noticed because of the torque, pulling power is barely reduced with a fully loaded car full of passengers in this car. Where on my previous BMW I'd notice the more sluggish performance as a result of the added weight immediately, with the XF S you barely feel the difference in performance from a lot of added load/weight. In fact sometimes the added weight with a car full of passengers means you get less wheelspin and often a more efficient or linear pull.

Anyway, appreciate the follow up advice!

About that ... A turbo has a property of running at a speed independent of the engine speed. The turbo actually responds to engine load.

So there's many situations where the turbo will kick in a bit more and make more torque as a reaction to things like extra weight in the car, going uphill, and even low barometric pressure at higher elevations. Where a high elevation will make an na engine wheezy, a turbo will make up for it by working a little harder.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. Now don't let it get stolen, lol.

I've been tempted to get an old honda. I've never owned one and there's always a ton on craigslist. But I've never really been into fwd. Plus I think I also want an rx7. Decisions.

Fwd is the bomb. It will be back in style one of these days. :3

And which rx7 do you want?

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I test drove an M4 Competition Package. The problems plaguing the regular M4 (dead zone in the steering, odd feel, weird handling balance) have been fixed. I am pretty close to buying one. I used to have an E90 M3 with variable rate dampers. The M4 Comp on "comfort" is firmer than my E90 was on "sport plus.". And the M4 is substantially more powerful.

I also drove a 2017 911 Carrera S PDK. Very nice. This one was a used demo car and their asking price was very high. I made an offer and the dealer got offended. So I walked.

Before the Carrera I also drove a Cayman S 718. Manual transmission. GREAT handler. I loved the responsiveness of the front end and the quick steering. However the manual sucked ass. The clutch engagement point was too high and the shifter was vague. But the real problem was the sound. The exhaust sounds terrible and it booms and resonates in the cabin at all speeds. I would get a headache after an hour of driving it.

And last of all I tried the new Mercedes E63S AMG. That car is really fun. Massive torque, AWD traction, 9 speed trans, and the interior quality was well beyond both Porsche and BMW. But it is not my type of car.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Oh my!

So I have the chance of purchasing a 2012 Lotus Evora 2+2 with 34,000 miles on it. It's an automatic transmission.

Any opinions on this car? Yay or nay? Anything I should be aware of?? Looks like this

Never driven one myself, but it looks awesome! Can't you take it for a test drive?

Quick Google shows these reviews / long term tests.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re.../lotus-evora-s-22-2012-long-term-test-review/

http://www.evo.co.uk/lotus/evora/7065/lotus-evora-s-2012-model-year-review

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/lotus/evora-s-2011-2015

Señor Craig

Nov 13, 2017
Hey guys. My lease is about to end on my 2015 GTI so I'm in the market for a new car.

I am currently debating between 2017 mx-5 RF, 370z, WRX or a used WRX STI. Would love to get people's opinions on the three. Thanks!

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys. My lease is about to end on my 2015 GTI so I'm in the market for a new car.

I am currently debating between 2017 mx-5 RF, 370z, WRX or a used WRX STI. Would love to get people's opinions on the three. Thanks!

If you're gonna change it up, then change it up and don't hop from a GTI to a WRX.

I'd get the Miata. Targa's are <3 and while the 370z is a fun car it's an incredibly old and limited platform and also compared to the Miata it's super fat and overweight.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you ever get the chance to test drive all 4 cars? I was seriously considering buying a 2017 Golf R, but none of the VW dealers near me (Wash DC area) would let customers test drive their R's. They said R buyers won't purchase them if there are test drive miles on them.

I test drove an autobahn GTI instead. It had the same adaptive dampening system (DCC) as the R, and the same brakes. I liked it so much I bought the GTI instead. The VW dealers in the Northern VA area offer crazy good deals on GTI's, often $6,000 below MSRP. Unfortunately no deals on the R.

The GTI is enough power and quickness for my daily commute. I'd get in trouble quickly with significantly more power.

No, with the holidays being so busy, I put this off until like March 2018.

I think for me the GTI is too down on power. Just looked and there's only 1 R within 100 miles of me, so looks like that is a non-starter. I'm heavily leaning towards the Focus RS. While it doesn't look special at all, 350 hp plus that torque is right where I want to be for a stock hot hatch. I'm seeing more of these in my area and they have a great stock sound plus they are so capable.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
No, with the holidays being so busy, I put this off until like March 2018.

I think for me the GTI is too down on power. Just looked and there's only 1 R within 100 miles of me, so looks like that is a non-starter. I'm heavily leaning towards the Focus RS. While it doesn't look special at all, 350 hp plus that torque is right where I want to be for a stock hot hatch. I'm seeing more of these in my area and they have a great stock sound plus they are so capable.

I've heard the rs has some major engine issues. If you're looking at those, may want to hold off for the 2018 and see if that's been sorted. Plus, the black roof and wing look pretty great imo

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's a thread on /r/cars about their engine issues and several folks stating that the issues have already been resolved.

But they'll forever be an ugly ass jelly bean looking hatch, so...

Buttons

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, wonder if it counts as a double post if it's a day apart. Anyway, for Christmas I was down near Stuttgart and had the opportunity to visit the Porsche Museum, Mercedes Museum and Motor World again. For some reason I can't find my images from the Porsche Museum and Motor World (amazing cars, wish I could show you guys.)
I did however manage to find the ones from the Mercedes Museum so I thought I would share.

This dreary winter weather really is not nice, my car is constantly dirty.
20171216_131813cgqcu.jpg

The Mercedes Museum on the other hand is truly amazing. If you are ever near Stuttgart Germany, it is a must visit. Even if it is not your favourite brand, the automobile history shown in the museum is simply awesome. I'll just let a few of the photos speak for themselves.

20171221_102544yfp28.jpg

20171221_10435635p0n.jpg
20171221_1051538ipry.jpg
20171221_105344j2o3f.jpg

20171221_105449flrt9.jpg

20171221_110406w5p88.jpg

20171221_111950k6pqz.jpg

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
So yesterday when leaving work I hit the curb when backing up at around 2-3mph, I was turning the wheel to the left so the passenger side front wheel bounced off the curb. I don't have any tire or wheel damage. Alignment doesn't seem to be messed up, will have to find a nice flat space and drive the car slow to see for sure. I'm just being paranoid that something can be wrong, right?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Omg im changing my struts and there's these 19m nuts on the upright. They looked like the hadn't moved since dinosaurs walked the earth. No rust. Just... On there. I was laying on the ground kicking the breaker bar. Well. They're off now.

One side, that is. I hope the other one isn't any harder than that.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
So yesterday when leaving work I hit the curb when backing up at around 2-3mph, I was turning the wheel to the left so the passenger side front wheel bounced off the curb. I don't have any tire or wheel damage. Alignment doesn't seem to be messed up, will have to find a nice flat space and drive the car slow to see for sure. I'm just being paranoid that something can be wrong, right?

You can totally bump it out like that or bend something, or it can totally be fine. Just check it out like you said.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks awesome. Grats on the beast!

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I've never owned an AMG before and never even considered it until very recently. I immediately took to it in a way that I did not feel with the M4. The MCT transmission and the C63's agility were the big surprises. The steering is amazingly precise, especially for a car that weighs 4,000 pounds. And the trans shifts smoothly and instantly in both manual and automatic modes. I have been warned that the MCT can exhibit lag when manually shifting at redline, but since I'm still breaking the motor in I haven't been able to test. I did take it up to 6,000 one time at about 90% throttle and there wasn't any lag.

I got the non-S C63, which is rated 30hp lower, has 1" smaller front brake rotors (with 6 piston calipers) and a mechanical locking differential rather than an active electronic diff. The horsepower difference is 100% software. It has the exact same engine, turbos, etc. All it takes is a flash to gain a whole lot of extra HP if I decide to go that route. So far I'm pretty doubtful that I need it, the car already builds speed so quickly even when I short shift it at 4,000 - 4,500. The mechanical diff works fine and the car also has torque vectoring, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything I'll need as I'm not going to track it. If I want to upgrade to C63S front brakes it's a direct swap: Calipers, pads, rotors. The rest of the hardware is the same. It costs about $3,500, so I'll need a lot of convincing before putting down so much money on what may not be a very impactful upgrade.

I may or may not lower it a bit with KW height adjustable springs. At most I'd do a 20mm drop. But the suspension is working so well as-is that I'm very reluctant to tamper with it.

It has the AMG performance seats which are on par with Porsche's carbon bucket seats in terms of support and firmness, but the AMG seats are fully adjustable and heated.

It also has the AMG performance exhaust, which I can't believe is DOT legal. In Sport+ mode it basically opens a cutout and bypasses the mufflers. So the sound is coming directly from the downpipes. The pops on fast upshifts sound like firecrackers.

The car is hilarious and makes me shake my head in disbelief because it's so brawny yet it has so much agility, it's insane that a porky two ton Mercedes can dance around on its toes the way it does. I'm sure the M4 Comp is faster around a track but it lacks the theater of the AMG and the M4 suspension is very stiff, even in comfort mode. The C63 in comfort mode drives like a regular C class.