• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
i just slid into a new role at work, got my boss' job along with the boss' paycheck so I think now would be a good time to spend money foolishly and free myself from my Infiniti chains

A5/S5, Alfa Giulia 2.0t, 4 series gran coupe, 4 series coupe, jag xe...what should I do, ERA? leaning towards A5 or Giulia. And no, i don't have the money for the Quadroformaggio

Anyone have any experience with the Jag XE?

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
back in my 1st year of college many moons ago, I acquired what was at the time my "dream" regular car - a Nissan 240sx. I drove that fucker for 8 straight years, and then on and off for the next 4. Garaged it at my mom's house, and finally sold it off to someone my family knows when it just got too old and unreliable to bother with. My mom caught up with the guy who bought it, and look what happened to it. ;_; Oh well, at least it still lives and someone is enjoying it 27 years after it rolled off the line.

39049381755_7ac7a1b609_c.jpg

28167777869_65c3ed152f_c.jpg

According to my mom, the guy took out the auto and installed a 5-speed, did the engine swap along with the, ahem, other changes. Apparently the guy drifts it at some local track.

I kind of wish I had hung on to it now and saved it from this drift missile fate

Aside from the wheels (not enough meat imo), it seems he did right by it. I'm not a fan of drifting, but the cars are fucking bonkers and I love them. And 240s are the bread and butter of the sport. Do you know what he swapped in?

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not a brawny as I'd want a Supra to be, at least from that shot. But no one bought it when it was a Japanese muscle car, so might as well be class competitive for what they are aiming for.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. Giant dumb wings are the de rigueur these days. The new GT3 RS has an even bigger and douchier wing than its predecessor, if such a thing was possible.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb wings are fine, just would have been a great opportunity to pay homage using a 90s Supra dumb wing. I have a similar gripe about the new NSX.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
So the Supra is basically Toyota's GTR?

Not sure about the look. A slightly refined mk 4 look would have been better.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Why are some people such incompetent drivers?

I was stationary in a Costco parking lot when an old dude in an suv scrapes my front while trying to turn. It's a very minor scuff luckily and certainly not worth contacting my insurance about.

But seriously, if you can't drive without hitting things (on inspection he had a bunch of impacts on the side of his car) maybe you shouldn't be driving....

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone driven one of these things?

Lexus_SC_430_Tiger_Eye_Mica.jpg

I hated this shit when it came out. Now I really like it. Never driven one. It's the successor to the Supra the same way the delsol is the successor to the CRX.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
Watch the Aspark Owl EV do 0-62mph in <2s. I know there are a ton of these kinds of videos for hypercars, but good god look at that thing just skip forwards, literally fighting the moden limits of physics as it does so.

I'm all for EVs and respect their performance, but I'll never not miss the sound and feel of a gasoline engine.

Anyone driven one of these things?

Lexus_SC_430_Tiger_Eye_Mica.jpg

I hated this shit when it came out. Now I really like it. Never driven one. It's the successor to the Supra the same way the delsol is the successor to the CRX.

But the Del sol had character. The 430 is just boring. Overweight, underpowered, and developed during Lexus' dark times.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
T hats the successor to the supra? For real?

Sort of. The GT team started mounting that V8 in the Supras. Then they actually changed over to this new SC. plus the SC is the new soarer, which was was the same platform as the Mark 4 Supra. So in my eyes, there's a direct lineage.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This is all stock exhaust it's pretty quiet on the outside. I'm a bit torn on what to do with it. Mostly because I don't want attention.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
So are they replacing the 86 with the Supra? No mention or no rumors of a next-gen 86.

A sportscar like the 86 can run for more like ten years without a replacement. Corollas and camrys get replaced every 4 years because those are ultra-competitive segments. The new 86 might only be halfway thru it's run.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
So are they replacing the 86 with the Supra? No mention or no rumors of a next-gen 86.

I thought the Supra was going to fill a slightly higher price range, like the $50k to $100k area. Was the Supra an entry level sports car? I was always under the impression that it was above that. At least by the time the mk 4 came around.

Speaking of price/performance levels, is there an honest competitor to the STI? I mean, it could really use it. Also Subaru should bring back the 2000's style hood for the WRX.

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is all stock exhaust it's pretty quiet on the outside. I'm a bit torn on what to do with it. Mostly because I don't want attention.

I mean you definitely can get quieter systems that only get loud when you step on it. Even individual mufflers; the APEX'i Noir and Vibrant mufflers in general are quiet.

I still want/need a cat in my next system which kinda limits my options to a DC5 Type R manifold (a longer tube setup, smaller diameter but affordable) or K-Tuned (an actual long tube, large diameter race header with a detachable cat section but costs $$$) :/ I miss the top end from my old setup.

I wouldn't mind a new 86 if only to make the used market a little more palatable. Beat to shit examples are still like 15k+ in my area.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the Supra was going to fill a slightly higher price range, like the $50k to $100k area. Was the Supra an entry level sports car? I was always under the impression that it was above that. At least by the time the mk 4 came around.

The mkiv had a hard time with market segments. In japan it was relatively affordable. Then in the us is was like 44K or something Which was a ton for a Toyota. Then one year they slashed the price like almost 10k down I think. In magazine tests, the supra was put in comparison test against the corvette and 911. So auto-enthusiasts knew that this new supra was in a ~300hp gt class, but to the general public it was nothing. It might as well have been a celica. This is ultimately why these japanese cars failed.

These days in the post gran-turismo world, they'll have an easier time positioning the supra since it will actually be recognized as a respectable sportscar. It will have to be more than the 86. Maybe they're shooting for gtr-level, which is like 80k I guess? Hopefully they do more like 50k. The mkiv supra was not especially fancy.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I mean you definitely can get quieter systems that only get loud when you step on it. Even individual mufflers; the APEX'i Noir and Vibrant mufflers in general are quiet.

I still want/need a cat in my next system which kinda limits my options to a DC5 Type R manifold (a longer tube setup, smaller diameter but affordable) or K-Tuned (an actual long tube, large diameter race header with a detachable cat section but costs $$$) :/ I miss the top end from my old setup.

I wouldn't mind a new 86 if only to make the used market a little more palatable. Beat to shit examples are still like 15k+ in my area.

Have you seen a dyno comparison of these two manifolds? I have a strong preference to factory parts and I'd want to see that dyno.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen a dyno comparison of these two manifolds? I have a strong preference to factory parts and I'd want to see that dyno.

An exact is hard to find. Honda kids are cheap, at least by forums and Google it's hard to find a comparison to the K-Tuned with cat. Most just go for a PLM header these days (a slip joint, high gauge stainless steel replica of a much more expensive header) as it's easily the best bang for the buck. But with no cat I have no chance with emissions. I rather get the higher quality option with actual engineering put into it.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Captain's Log: Day 99892389283982938

Still keeping hope alive for the release of the next gen Mazda Kai/3 at the end of this calendar year.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
An exact is hard to find. Honda kids are cheap, at least by forums and Google it's hard to find a comparison to the K-Tuned with cat. Most just go for a PLM header these days (a slip joint, high gauge stainless steel replica of a much more expensive header) as it's easily the best bang for the buck. But with no cat I have no chance with emissions. I rather get the higher quality option with actual engineering put into it.

shopping

Like this? That's pretty nice.

And this is the oem type r?

yhst-1408381693991_1826_26929627

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty close on the K-Tuned, that looks like 8th gen Civic header. But more or less the same thing, just the polished stainless version. Eventually, probably in the summer once my life slows down a bit lol.

Okay so more like this.
rsxk20header1a.jpg

That;s a fuckin nice piece too bad its up on the firewall. I'm seeing these for ~450usd. I think that's a good price. This is a nice set. Are there any dynos of this at all? I don't need a straight comparison. Just something to look at.

Lets see....

Okay this is supposedly a before and after. The damn pic is upside down tho.

158554d1434732877-k-tuned-header-hp-tq-gains-ao6mo5.jpg

Comes from this thread: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/bolt-ons-all-motor/551194-k-tuned-header-hp-tq-gains.html

Yes the dyno i posted was straight bolt on and dyno with no tuning. Then we plugged in the flashpro for the first time and tuned and dynoed it. It took me from 193whp to 200whp with stock cat back and test pipe. I then ordered invidia q300 with vibrante 2 1/2 High flow cat and that took me too 205whp. i think the reason why i didnt gain so much was because the test pipe had given me maybe an extra 2-5hp and when i installed the highflow cat it took some of that away but none the less i was more comfortable driving around the city knowing i wasnt going to get fined 500$ for no cat
wink.gif
sometimes you need to sacrifice to be legit
wink.gif

That's kinda huge but that's just one dyno. I don't even know if this is the right car. I'd also like to see some for the type r header.

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so more like this.
rsxk20header1a.jpg

That;s a fuckin nice piece too bad its up on the firewall. I'm seeing these for ~450usd. I think that's a good price. This is a nice set. Are there any dynos of this at all? I don't need a straight comparison. Just something to look at.

Lets see....

Okay this is supposedly a before and after. The damn pic is upside down tho.

158554d1434732877-k-tuned-header-hp-tq-gains-ao6mo5.jpg

Comes from this thread: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/bolt-ons-all-motor/551194-k-tuned-header-hp-tq-gains.html

That's kinda huge but that's just one dyno. I don't even know if this is the right car. I'd also like to see some for the type r header.

A rough comparison is 3whp over a stock setup for the DC5-R header. A worse header, the DC Sports race header, gets about 7whp on top of that. I'd image with smaller piping the midrange on the DC5-R is better.

Man I wish I could get the K-Tuned for 450 lol. Their website price for the polished stainless steel is $700US, plus $150 for the cat. Once it's all converted I'm looking at almost $1100CAD :/

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I love fake knock-off shit. I wear a fake Rolex and I tell people that motherfucker is real. No shame. It won't even keep time when you take it off overnight. But as long as people have a Rolex, I don't care.

Now. With that said.

Has anyone here tried knockoff recaros or other fake touring seats? I've tried real recaros and I'm sure there has to be some substantive difference in quality. I'm just wondering for anyone who's tried both cheap internet seats and genuine Aftermarket seats: how long do you think the fake ones could fool you?

I finally got my black license plates in the mail, and they are going to spruce up the look of the car very nicely. I think my next bang for the buck option visually is going to be a pair of touring seats. But I ain't trying to pay a thousand bucks for a set.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
OK, its one thing to buy knockoffs. Its another to be a poser and pretend its the real deal. Dont be that guy.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sparco Sprints man. An FIA approved seat for like $400USD a seat. I have a fake seat for my eventual racing sim build. It's comparable in physical design to those Recaros that come in JDM Integra/Civic Type Rs. It's comfortable, but for something that has a huge impact on crash safety I wouldn't fuck with fake stuff. Unknown to what standard they are built to.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
Go cheap, not fake.

With cars, "cheap" is okay, and - more often than it has any right to be - it means reliable. That's not to say more money doesn't mean a better product, it does, but trying to hide the "cheap" usually means misplaced priorities, if that makes any sense. And with seats, the priority of creating the best possible seat for the given price should trump making a cheap look alike.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm well versed in experimenting with various grades of equipment. I'm never going to buy fake wheels but a seat im not very worried about and I certainly don't think it would kill me.

Go cheap, not fake.

With cars, "cheap" is okay, and - more often than it has any right to be - it means reliable. That's not to say more money doesn't mean a better product, it does, but trying to hide the "cheap" usually means misplaced priorities, if that makes any sense. And with seats, the priority of creating the best possible seat for the given price should trump making a cheap look alike.

I've found there can be overlap between fake branded product and plain generic stuff. For example, you may find two copycat sparco seats: one with a sparco brand blatantly faked on. We'd typically call that fake. Then there may be one that is right off the same line but sold with an original logo embroidered on. That we would likely call generic. But they are the same product.

Some I'm looking at are suspiciously cheap. Like $229 a set. I don't think I would feel comfortable going with that unless I got some indication that the quality was better than the bottom barrel price would indicate. As of now I'm looking more closely at sets that are twice more than that, but still way cheaper than brand. Many of them are fake or generic copy.
My post was a little tounge in cheek with my Rolex story. I'm no specifically looking to fool anyone. :D I want a clean looking pair of seats and I don't mind if they are generic or fake branded as long as they are decently close to a real sport seat.

What would be a b would be to spend 500 and still get creaky junk. xD

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Sparco Sprints man. An FIA approved seat for like $400USD a seat. I have a fake seat for my eventual racing sim build. It's comparable in physical design to those Recaros that come in JDM Integra/Civic Type Rs. It's comfortable, but for something that has a huge impact on crash safety I wouldn't fuck with fake stuff. Unknown to what standard they are built to.

I really want something with a reclining mech.