• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Finally installed my BlackVue dash cams. Took 4 hours to install, but all the wires are hidden and it's hardwired to the car.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Soul Red has to be one of the best paint colors on a mainstream car anywhere. It looks good on any car Mazda puts it on and at certain times of the day (like sundown, especially) it is absolutely dazzling.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sooo. Went shopping for cars yesterday. I'm thinking about the new 2019 Vantage, but there are a few things that are turning me off. Mainly the price. There are sooo many cars in this segment that offer the same or more power than it for less money. The Z06 and ZR1, AMG GTR, 911, F-Type SVR. Hell even Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers are more of a deal. But the ook of this car has me hypnotized. It also comes with a ZF transmission which is my favorite feeling sequential transmission on the market. The Z06 feels sluggish by comparison. At this price point I feel it's just so you can have something that doesn't look the same as every other car on the road. The look of the new Vantage is also pretty divisive, but man I love it.

44405933552_085093c62c_h.jpg
44455199181_3e8e80bc61_h.jpg
44405934032_9dd69abfa3_h.jpg
44455199681_ee48d94fc5_h.jpg

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sooo. Went shopping for cars yesterday. I'm thinking about the new 2019 Vantage, but there are a few things that are turning me off. Mainly the price. There are sooo many cars in this segment that offer the same or more power than it for less money. The Z06 and ZR1, AMG GTR, 911, F-Type SVR. Hell even Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers are more of a deal. But the ook of this car has me hypnotized. It also comes with a ZF transmission which is my favorite feeling sequential transmission on the market. The Z06 feels sluggish by comparison. At this price point I feel it's just so you can have something that doesn't look the same as every other car on the road. The look of the new Vantage is also pretty divisive, but man I love it.
I think you need to get the Vantage, sounds like that's where your heart is.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I think you need to get the Vantage, sounds like that's where your heart is.
Agreed, an Aston purchase is always going to be made with the heart and soul and not necessarily with the head but if you are laying out that kind of money then the number one most important thing is that you love it and you want to drive it. And it still has plenty of performance, more than you can safely use on public roads most of the time anyway. If I had that kind of cash then it would absolutely be high on my list.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
So generally speaking, what should I look out for when buying a used car? I'm looking to buy my first car and I'm slowly becoming interested and learning about cars. I'd like the knowledge from enthusiasts and well versed car folks!

golem

Oct 25, 2017
So generally speaking, what should I look out for when buying a used car? I'm looking to buy my first car and I'm slowly becoming interested and learning about cars. I'd like the knowledge from enthusiasts and well versed car folks!
Definitely get a full Carfax and/or Autocheck done on a car you're considering. Not foolproof, but better than nothing. Also see if you can get service records for the car-- either from the seller or where it was serviced. Another thing alot of people do is get a Pre Purchase Inspection done by a trusted mechanic once you're pretty serious. Usually should cost somewhere from $100-200. I would also recommend checking out whatever popular forums exist for that specific car to see if there are common problems, gotchas or differences between model years.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
General things would include looking at the exterior for dents, scratches and scuffs, looking at the interior cloth or leather for tears, stains etc. Checking tire tread, make sure the radio, air conditioning, lights & turn signals work etc. Listen for any weird sounds, and take the car on a test drive. It wouldn't hurt to have someone with you too. Look up known defects for that make, model and year of car. Check the value with kbb.com and also look at what similar cars are going for on a site such as Autotrader.com, don't make your purchase off of emotion alone and don't be afraid to walk away from the sale. Most importantly always get a pre purchase inspection from a trustworthy mechanic.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Definitely get a full Carfax and/or Autocheck done on a car you're considering. Not foolproof, but better than nothing. Also see if you can get service records for the car-- either from the seller or where it was serviced. Another thing alot of people do is get a Pre Purchase Inspection done by a trusted mechanic once you're pretty serious. Usually should cost somewhere from $100-200. I would also recommend checking out whatever popular forums exist for that specific car to see if there are common problems, gotchas or differences between model years.

General things would include looking at the exterior for dents, scratches and scuffs, looking at the interior cloth or leather for tears, stains etc. Checking tire tread, make sure the radio, air conditioning, lights & turn signals work etc. Listen for any weird sounds, and take the car on a test drive. It wouldn't hurt to have someone with you too. Look up known defects for that make, model and year of car. Check the value with kbb.com and also look at what similar cars are going for on a site such as Autotrader.com, don't make your purchase off of emotion alone and don't be afraid to walk away from the sale. Most importantly always get a pre purchase inspection from a trustworthy mechanic.
I see, I've been doing those things already sans the preinspection thing. I wanted to know more about what to look out for in terms of mileage and other stuff. Currently I'm looking at a 2014 Nissan Maxima SV as my first car.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I see, I've been doing those things already sans the preinspection thing. I wanted to know more about what to look out for in terms of mileage and other stuff. Currently I'm looking at a 2014 Nissan Maxima SV as my first car.
Condition and mile-age and all that really depends what you are comfortable with and what your budget is. There arent really any hard and fast rules but generally I think its accepted that cars are driven about 10-15,000 miles a year. Some people might be wary of purchasing a used car that far surpasses that general ballpark number such as a 2017 car that already has 50,000 miles on it. Others might see it as a good value. For example I wouldnt have a problem buying an older Toyota Land Cruiser/Tacoma etc with over 150,000 miles on it as long as its been maintained correctly. But I would probably balk at an used Audi S6 with more than 45,000 miles. Other people might feel differently depending on how they perceive brands and models.

Part of it is knowing the major maintenance intervals a car has to go through such as timing belt services, carbon build up cleaning, tire replacement, etc. Also maintenance costs don't really change too much as the car gets cheaper so a $500 service on a new BMW 3 $40k series would still cost about the same on a used $20k one purchased at half the price.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
That's probably a safe bet for a first used car as Nissan's are generally reliable but it still wouldn't hurt to do your due diligence and do all of the things that have already been mentioned here. Even good cars can be abused by their owners and if it has what seems to be an unusual number of scratches on the outside or dirt and stains on the inside or if the tires look unevenly worn or if there are unusual sounds or smells then those can be a hint to walk away.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A Maxima is a good choice, Japanese cars tend to have good reliability. It's really going to come down to budget as far as mileage goes, 12,000 miles per year is considered average. I've known a few people with older Maxima's that have gotten up to 150k+ miles over the years. A 2014 would average 50-60k miles if not more. If you can find examples under 50k miles that'd be even better.

Feel free to include budget and area if you'd like help looking, or if you have examples of sales postings you're looking at already we'd gladly share our opinions.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Condition and mile-age and all that really depends what you are comfortable with and what your budget is. There arent really any hard and fast rules but generally I think its accepted that cars are driven about 10-15,000 miles a year. Some people might be wary of purchasing a used car that far surpasses that general ballpark number such as a 2017 car that already has 50,000 miles on it. Others might see it as a good value. For example I wouldnt have a problem buying an older Toyota Land Cruiser/Tacoma etc with over 150,000 miles on it as long as its been maintained correctly. But I would probably balk at an used Audi S6 with more than 45,000 miles. Other people might feel differently depending on how they perceive brands and models.

Part of it is knowing the major maintenance intervals a car has to go through such as timing belt services, carbon build up cleaning, tire replacement, etc. Also maintenance costs don't really change too much as the car gets cheaper so a $500 service on a new BMW 3 $40k series would still cost about the same on a used $20k one purchased at half the price.
Yes this is information I like to know.
That's probably a safe bet for a first used car as Nissan's are generally reliable but it still wouldn't hurt to do your due diligence and do all of the things that have already been mentioned here. Even good cars can be abused by their owners and if it has what seems to be an unusual number of scratches on the outside or dirt and stains on the inside or if the tires look unevenly worn or if there are unusual sounds or smells then those can be a hint to walk away.
Absolutely and I will keep that in mind.
A Maxima is a good choice, Japanese cars tend to have good reliability. It's really going to come down to budget as far as mileage goes, 12,000 miles per year is considered average. I've known a few people with older Maxima's that have gotten up to 150k+ miles over the years. A 2014 would average 50-60k miles if not more. If you can find examples under 50k miles that'd be even better.

Feel free to include budget and area if you'd like help looking, or if you have examples of sales postings you're looking at already we'd gladly share our opinions.
That's my plan. I'm not buying one quite yet but I'm building a list of potential cars. Cars look so sexy it's hard to choose! Now I've been eyeing a Civic Hatchback Sport and Infiniti Q50 and my heart just catch feelings.

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone refinanced a car before? We just purchased an Audi Q5 and had to finance with Audi Financial Services for the (ridiculous) rate of 5.99% in order to get a $2500 rebate. Reading through the finance contract there is no penalty for prepayment, but the finance manager told me I have to stay with Audi Financial for a year.

ZvOF8NVl.jpg

Also, any recommendations for a Xpel install in North Jersey?

Thanks

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Surprise! My Focus RS has headlights that aim when you turn the steering wheel. I didn't actually know this until yesterday.

Rival

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Midlands
After telling myself I would wait for a Hybrid to be my next purchase, I've went ahead and took up a great offer at work!

I now own a Range Rover Velar D250! It's absolutely fantastic, I'm in love with it thus far although I feel I should have got a different colour

https://ibb.co/d28pre

Last edited:

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
After telling myself I would wait for a Hybrid to be my next purchase, I've went ahead and took up a great offer at work!

I now own a Range Rover Velar D250! It's absolutely fantastic, I'm in love with it thus far although I feel I should have got a different colour

Beautiful in my opinion and fantastic color choice. You can't really go wrong with black on black. The only other color I think that's equal would be Silver.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That black on black looks so good. Only bad thing about that color is it's hard to keep clean and you got to at least buff, polish, and wax once a year to prevent swirl marks.

It is worth it to me.

Rival

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Midlands
Looks great! Man you guys are some ballers in here.

Ionly got it because work gave me an amazing deal on it! It's a two year lease, 0 deposit and only 280 a month... Couldn't really say no!

I already own a 335d(daily) and M140i(selling), Ive worked for several automotive manufacturers so tend to get very lucky when it comes to getting cars cheap

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I'm heading up to New England Dragway tomorrow night to race my stock Focus RS. Ok, it has a K&N air filter. Any guesses as to what I'll run in it? :)

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
My sister is planning on buying a used entry level family car, and i made these 4 suggestions to her in this order. Sounds good? Anything you would change?

Mazda 3
Subaru Impreza
Corolla
Jetta

Obviously the year matters as well but we havent gotten into it yet, but the year will be something along the lines of 2013-2016.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
For a family car the parameters I would think about:

- does it need to be AWD?
- how many people need to fit?
- does there need to be a stroller in the back?
- are you transporting pets also?

We have had an older Jetta 1.8T wagon which was great functionally, fun to drive, but terrible reliability, would not buy VW again. We replaced that with an Outback which ticked every box except fun to drive--AWD, lots of people space for car seats, back hatch space for groceries, pets, reliable, etc. We replaced that with a Tacoma now that our kids are older, and we need to transport goats along with the kids.

I think Mazda 3 5-door is a good rec if you don't need a ton of space but want options, and Outback if you want the room. If I'm going to get a sedan I'd get a Civic or Corolla, probably. I had many Civics before/while we had kids and I think I had something like $230 accumulated non-standard maintenance costs across 3 of them over 12+ years. I now drive a WRX hatch which is a nice compromise in utility and sportiness.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
For a family car the parameters I would think about:

- does it need to be AWD?
- how many people need to fit?
- does there need to be a stroller in the back?
- are you transporting pets also?

We have had an older Jetta 1.8T wagon which was great functionally, fun to drive, but terrible reliability, would not buy VW again. We replaced that with an Outback which ticked every box except fun to drive--AWD, lots of people space for car seats, back hatch space for groceries, pets, reliable, etc. We replaced that with a Tacoma now that our kids are older, and we need to transport goats along with the kids.

I think Mazda 3 5-door is a good rec if you don't need a ton of space but want options, and Outback if you want the room. If I'm going to get a sedan I'd get a Civic or Corolla, probably. I had many Civics before/while we had kids and I think I had something like $230 accumulated non-standard maintenance costs across 3 of them over 12+ years. I now drive a WRX hatch which is a nice compromise in utility and sportiness.
Yea i test drove a 1.8T Jetta before and it was such a fun car to drive especially in that segment, but i did also hear about reliability issues which was why i put it in last place on my list. she also mentioned she want the Jetta because she likes the way it looks.

Don't need alot of room, shes just driving around 2 little boys, 3 and 6. And would probably like to keep the car on the smaller side, so Outback is slightly bigger than i would recommend. I put the Impreza there because it had the awd option incase that was something she wants.

I hear great things about the Mazda3, and sounds like the best overall package.

And Corolla for good ole reliability.

Lastly, it just need to be functional, and reliable. She just got her license, and she will not be the primary driver. Her husband will be doing most of the driving and he has an audi hatchback and an SUV. This is mostly just for casual use for when she wants to take the boys out when he cant.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Our family is expanding, and while our 2012 CRV has served us very well for many years, with soon to be two kids in the back, and a stroller + bags in the cargo area we are feeling a bit cramped in the car these days.

Thinking about trading in a 2012 CRV with 50 thousand miles on it for a 2015 Honda Odyssey. I'm hoping to get $12K for the CRV, and paying the difference for the Odyssey. Not sure if this is a smart move since we would be going from 4WD to only FWD.... but the crv is starting to feel a bit dated as well.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My sister is planning on buying a used entry level family car, and i made these 4 suggestions to her in this order. Sounds good? Anything you would change?

Mazda 3
Subaru Impreza
Corolla
Jetta

Obviously the year matters as well but we havent gotten into it yet, but the year will be something along the lines of 2013-2016.
That's a good list, I'd agree with the Mazda 3 at the top.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are you OK with the brutal depreciation of Astons?

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you OK with the brutal depreciation of Astons?

The Vantage v12 next to it had a price drop down to $112,000.

I'm currently in the process to purchase a 2002 Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A. I feel like this car will be a great investment and it'll be the next car that will permanently be in my collection. I'm getting rid of my F-Type for it. I'm hoping to get an even trade.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Those cars look amazing and are probably an utter blast to drive. Can't wait to see some footage.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Vantage v12 next to it had a price drop down to $112,000.

I'm currently in the process to purchase a 2002 Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A. I feel like this car will be a great investment and it'll be the next car that will permanently be in my collection. I'm getting rid of my F-Type for it. I'm hoping to get an even trade.

I was behind a V12 Vantage on Mulholland Highway a couple of weeks ago. It sounded so good. That's a car that will be sought after some day, especially 6 speeds.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Our family is expanding, and while our 2012 CRV has served us very well for many years, with soon to be two kids in the back, and a stroller + bags in the cargo area we are feeling a bit cramped in the car these days.

Thinking about trading in a 2012 CRV with 50 thousand miles on it for a 2015 Honda Odyssey. I'm hoping to get $12K for the CRV, and paying the difference for the Odyssey. Not sure if this is a smart move since we would be going from 4WD to only FWD.... but the crv is starting to feel a bit dated as well.

Odyssey's are great. My brother and his wife have 4 kids and have gotten great service out of theirs. I wouldn't worry too much about AWD vs FWD as snow tires on a FWD vehicle can handle most every winter storm out there making the AWD only fractionally more useful in the real world.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Odyssey's are great. My brother and his wife have 4 kids and have gotten great service out of theirs. I wouldn't worry too much about AWD vs FWD as snow tires on a FWD vehicle can handle most every winter storm out there making the AWD only fractionally more useful in the real world.

Thank you for the very helpful reply! I am going to check out a used 2015 Odyssey today. Never thought I would be excited about owning a Mini-Van haha!

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
That said the Sienna has an AWD variant if you're really interested in hedging your bets. A friend of mine who is a woodworker uses one as his project vehicle, likes it a lot. We're in Maine so winter performance is a thing.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, amidst all the good Ferrari news, I just doubled back and found out they also named their SUV - the Purosangue. Also hybrids and 15 new models (includes special editions, so likely not that many regular models) by 2022.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i'll fall on my sword saying that awd is at least in the same ballpark an upgrade in snow as snow tires are on any 2wd vehicle. AND you get even better results, obviously, with AWD coupled with snow tires. if you live somewhere that has snow and ice for a decent chunk of the year, awd should be priority IMO

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
We found that on the Outback we could get away with no snow tires, but on my WRX it was so light that it just couldn't get traction in active snow w/o snow tires. I now have some Nokian Hakkapelitta, they're pretty awesome.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
We found that on the Outback we could get away with no snow tires, but on my WRX it was so light that it just couldn't get traction in active snow w/o snow tires. I now have some Nokian Hakkapelitta, they're pretty awesome.

interesting. my evo, even in summer tires, feels better than any 2wd car i've ever had to drive in the snow/ice. with some throttle it would always grip to some extent whereas a 2wd car either wont or throws you more off with throttle. of course snow accumulation is a concern too with a car that is low to the ground too

of course it should be said that full time awd > awd that only engages when the computer notices a slip and that all awd systems are not equal

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Anyone here look at the 2019 Jeep Cherokee yet?

I know many dislike FCA brand vehicles, but the 2019 Jeep Cherokee looks awesome IMO.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I went to New England Dragway last night with a bunch of friends. First time we had all been there in like 10 years! We used to all own DSMs, but now own a variety of other cars. It was a fun night.

My best run of the night in my Focus RS is on the left. My buddy's convertible AWD Eagle Talon (yes, there are all sorts of things wrong with this statement, there never was an AWD convertible DSM. There never was a convertible Talon!) was in the other lane.
Timeslip by shapegsx, on Flickr

NED by shapegsx, on Flickr

Lined up in order of age (completely by accident).

My friend's MR2 was running consistent 12.5@108mph with a 1.70 60-ft on drag radials. That car hooks!
42155154_10156908239033013_7500856105505914880_n by shapegsx, on Flickr