• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
12.5 on a SW20 is fucking quick! Stock?

Not stock. He has some relatively popular JDM engine swap and ECU, intercooler pipes, exhaust, larger turbo, etc... All custom work.

If he gets a different, tunable engine computer, this car is set to rocket. But he loves driving it using the ECU that came with the engine. Alternative ECUs generally hurt driveability.

I still can't believe how well he was hooking off the line with the drag radials.

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys, not a real car enthusiast (at least not yet), but love the look of sporty cars.

Recently got a Civic Si in lime green, and I'm looking for the best way to protect it from the elements cause I don't have an indoor garage, or parking with shade to place it in.

I'm most concerned about:
  • Sun damage from harsh rays on the paint
  • Water sprinklers (they shoot waaay past plants and get on the car)
  • Rain
  • Dust/specs/abrasive particles in air, etc
What should I use to preserve the paint's luster while also providing a protective layer against nicks and scratches? I'm not ready for Cermaic Coats as they seem easy to fuck up, and I'd rather not have to drop extra $$$ at a detailer. That leaves me with wax and/or synthetic sealant right?

I did some research, and...jesus there is so much! (Liquid, paste, hybrid, wax and sealants saparatly, some sold together as one fusion )...I don't know what to use or choose.

Can I really layer both sealant and wax together? If so, any recommended brands? Any brands or types to stay away from?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated, thanks.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys, not a real car enthusiast (at least not yet), but love the look of sporty cars.

Recently got a Civic Si in lime green, and I'm looking for the best way to protect it from the elements cause I don't have an indoor garage, or parking with shade to place it in.

I'm most concerned about:
  • Sun damage from harsh rays on the paint
  • Water sprinklers (they shoot waaay past plants and get on the car)
  • Rain
  • Dust/specs/abrasive particles in air, etc
What should I use to preserve the paint's luster while also providing a protective layer against nicks and scratches? I'm not ready for Cermaic Coats as they seem easy to fuck up, and I'd rather not have to drop extra $$$ at a detailer. That leaves me with wax and/or synthetic sealant right?

I did some research, and...jesus there is so much! (Liquid, paste, hybrid, wax and sealants saparatly, some sold together as one fusion )...I don't know what to use or choose.

Can I really layer both sealant and wax together? If so, any recommended brands? Any brands or types to stay away from?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated, thanks.

That will really fuck up your paint. Try to avoid that as much as you can because water spots are just terrible. Look into ceramic coating, that should help protect your paint quite a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
That will really fuck up your paint. Try to avoid that as much as you can because water spots are just terrible. Look into ceramic coating, that should help protect your paint quite a bit.
Yeah ceramic is worth it imo

My issue with ceramic, aside from cost, is that (from what I've read) scratches and nicks that appear through wear and tear stay with it untill you remove the coat and reapply it all over again.

I could be wrong, but it seems like wax and sealants are much, much easier and cheaper to fix, and reapply as needed.

I'm also not sure if I can do cermaic period cause the car is leased.

Also, not to sound paranoid, what kind of a time frame of repeated exposure are we talking before water sprinklers actually fuck it up? It's already been two days where it has gone off on the car :(

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Also, not to sound paranoid, what kind of a time frame of repeated exposure are we talking before water sprinklers actually fuck it up? It's already been two days where it has gone off on the car :(

You probably won't be able to tell as easily with your paint color unless you look at the car up close and have a good amount of light on it. Not sure how long it takes, or if the water quality itself has a lot to do with it. I've had water dry on my car when washing it during summer days and seeing the spots shortly after.

Here's an example:

blogpost_waterspots.jpg

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For the next one, what d'ya guys think? This look and model is drawing me to it. Murdered out new 5 with the full carbon M Performance kit and wheels. Still a ways off before I need to decide, but starting research nice and early lol.

bmw-5-series-530i-m-sport-4dr-auto-317395054-1.jpg

bmw-5-series-530i-m-sport-4dr-auto-317395054-10.jpg

media

media

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the next one, what d'ya guys think? This look and model is drawing me to it. Murdered out new 5 with the full carbon M Performance kit and wheels. Still a ways off before I need to decide, but starting research nice and early lol.

bmw-5-series-530i-m-sport-4dr-auto-317395054-1.jpg

bmw-5-series-530i-m-sport-4dr-auto-317395054-10.jpg

media

media

Is the Giulia aping the beemer or the other way around?

That profile they are near identical.

Its more similar cause a lady at work has a giulia in that midnight blue.

Alfa_Romeo-Giulia_Quadrifoglio-2016-1600-12.jpg

Last edited:

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the Giulia aping the beemer or the other way around?

That profile they are near identical.

Its more similar cause a lady at work has a giulia in that midnight blue.

Alfa_Romeo-Giulia_Quadrifoglio-2016-1600-12.jpg

Guessing the other way around since the 5 was essentially combining the profile of two of BMW's prior new gen models (3 series and, 7 series).

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3...lli-champion-porsche-s-vp-of-marketing-4.html

The VP of Marketing of the largest Porsche dealership in the USA scammed customers out of $2.5 million in deposits on cars and then skipped town.

It gets worse, too. The dealership had prior knowledge of this dude being shady and failed to act. Furthermore, they're not helping the victims.

Fucking Porsche and their artificial scarcity shit created this environment.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Crashed my friend's JDM party

44826146382_c94edaa0a9_h.jpg

43064467550_14f8816882_b.jpg

Then some punk blocked me in with his hooptie

44876209891_a243161c9f_b.jpg

44876199201_af00a4ce2d_b.jpg

Last edited:

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Retro is definitely the movement. Porsche announces a new 935, calling back to Moby Dick. Based on the GT2RS.

high-porsche-935-2018-porsche-ag-1-1.jpg

high-porsche-935-2018-porsche-ag-1.jpg

high-porsche-935-2018-porsche-ag-8-1.jpg

IceyD

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
my champ white CTR is going to deliver a month ahead of schedule, i pick it up in 2 weeks!

having to get a full set of wheels/tires for chicago winter is going to hurt though.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My lease contact sent me an unbelievable deal on a factory build BMW M2 Competition earlier today. Truth be told if I hadn't just bought the Jag in the last year to two, I'd have jumped on this deal without even a moments hesitation. The cost works out much cheaper than the depreciation on the vehicle otherwise would.

If any similar deal is around this time next year, practicality be damned, I'm getting an M2 Competition. Otherwise I'm still leaning 5 Series.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
This might not be the place to ask so feel free to steer me in the right direction if that's the case.

My car was totaled and I'm eyeing a practical commuter that has legs for a while. Corolla, Camry, Accord, and all the usual suspects. However, the most aggressively priced in this category around me is the Jetta. On top of that it has the best warranty. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with VW's Warranty? Are they hesitant to cover items under warranty or are they pretty flexible? I have zero issues working around the purported reliability issues so long as I'm not paying out of pocket for every repair.

Thanks for any input!

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This might not be the place to ask so feel free to steer me in the right direction if that's the case.

My car was totaled and I'm eyeing a practical commuter that has legs for a while. Corolla, Camry, Accord, and all the usual suspects. However, the most aggressively priced in this category around me is the Jetta. On top of that it has the best warranty. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with VW's Warranty? Are they hesitant to cover items under warranty or are they pretty flexible? I have zero issues working around the purported reliability issues so long as I'm not paying out of pocket for every repair.

Thanks for any input!
I haven't owned a VW but I'm 99% sure an Audi will be my next car. A good friend of mine owns a GTI, he brought it in for an oil change one day and it wouldn't start when he went to pick it up. They ended up replacing the engine under warranty.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I've only had experience with Audi warranty but while you have it they are pretty great about getting things serviced. Beyond the warranty period is a crapshoot though.
The more I see it the more I like the styling. The interior looks great, best in class when it gets released imo. The 330i M sport somehow looks better than the M340i which looks a little over styled in comparison.
Yeah I think they did a great job. Cant wait to see the M's

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
We had a bad experience with VW build quality (first year they started making the Jetta 1.8T in Mexico apparently), as well as service (expensive unexpected service after bringing in for warranty/recall issue), but it's hard to generalize the latter beyond the specific dealership, which is basically the only VW around here and thus less incentivized to care.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Edmunds doesn't rate maintenance/cost of ownership that different between Corolla and Jetta, and I can walk out today with a Jetta for less than a Corolla. The warranty ought to cover necessary service right? If it is essential and isn't wear/tear?

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Edmunds doesn't rate maintenance/cost of ownership that different between Corolla and Jetta, and I can walk out today with a Jetta for less than a Corolla. The warranty ought to cover necessary service right? If it is essential and isn't wear/tear?
Honestly it sounds like a really good deal, warranty should cover anything major. As long as you're comfortable with potential repairs after warranty. Pictures as soon as you get it!

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
VW warranty wasn't a problem to me. They covered the intake manifold and water pump without a problem. Can't speak for jettas but the GTI has been pretty reliable with the only two problems being those I mentioned, which pretty much every mk6 gti goes through... lol. I do my own regular maintenance on the vehicle and I'm about to change the fuel pump and fuel filter.

I know some dealerships will give you a hard time though. Where I work they'll try to fuck you out of warranty over a "lack of service history"

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I lit a deposit on it today. Wanna shop around some used cars to make sure I can't get a better value but if I can get pricing right I'll bite.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
About 2 weeks with a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Altitude package, and I'm absolutely in love with this thing.

It's the first car I've had that I really feel is a solid vehicle. Coming from a 2016 Honda Fit EX to this thing is a world of difference.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got to see and hear the 935 at Rennsport Reunion. It sounds good, definitely louder than a GT2 RS. It's kind of an odd car, though. It's not a homologation car and they're only building 77 of them. They're going to end up in collections gathering dust or being driven to Cars and Coffee once a year.

IceyD

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
damn the dealer already detailed and waxed the car, and filled it up with the wrong octane after i specified not to. boooooo.

oh well. delivery is saturday!

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Left the mountains for the "big city" today and crossed paths with three evos (but strangely not a single sti!), a sick m3, and my first demon. That sucker can take off from a rolling 70 mph, jesus

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
why?

cameras replacing side mirrors makes sense for a number of reasons; you could remove the need for the mirror housing, you're not limited to placement of the image behind you and it could be better incorporated into the drivers line of sight, to name a few. this though fixes nothing and is literally just a direct replacement to what a mirror does. for what? why? ugh

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
why?

cameras replacing side mirrors makes sense for a number of reasons; you could remove the need for the mirror housing, you're not limited to placement of the image behind you and it could be better incorporated into the drivers line of sight, to name a few. this though fixes nothing and is literally just a direct replacement to what a mirror does. for what? why? ugh
I usually figure these things are hamstrung by regulations, but I generally agree, instrument panels and right in-front of the driver (or projected onto the windshield, although I'm not sure how robust this technology is to different lighting conditions) is where most of the relevant information should be. Also, strangely one of the things that you find more commonly on supercars than your average car, where consumers would benefit most.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
why?

Yeah, like I get Cadillac's rear camera mirror, because the camera is in the back of the car, so you don't get seats, pillars, and passengers blocking the view. Though I'm sure the rainy window in that image is intentional. The screen isn't obscured by the rain. Unless the camera gets wet. I suppose having screens allows for the same sort of augmented reality stuff you get with backup cameras, which could be nice.

The article also mentions aerodynamics, I'd be interested in actual hard numbers of what sort of difference these actually make in that regard.

Last edited:

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I know this is a short in the dark, but I think a couple of you have owned Audis so maybe I'll get lucky. I've got a 2010 A4 B8 and on my way home on monday, the "parking brake malfunction" error icon and "AIR BAG" light came on at the same time. The car acted completely normally, and the parking brake was fine as well when I tested it once I got home.

I used my OBDII scanner and the torque app, but got 0 fault codes. I tried again with a VAGCOM scanner, but it crashed, so I went ahead and just cleared the codes to see if they'd come back. I checked all of the usual forums, and it seems like a common issue usually related to a loose connector, often under one of the seats. I looked around a bit last night, but couldn't see anything amiss.

The error came back up today on my way to work, so I re-ran the VAGCOM and got four fault codes:

8K0907379B - Very few direct results, seems to point to an ABS pump
8K0907064D - Body Control Module? Seat module I assume?
8K0907801H - Parking Brake Control Module
8T1035186R - Audio System

None of this makes any sense as the brakes have been in perfect condition and the "BRAKE" warning light hasn't come on. I haven't had an issue with the seats, the parking brake, or the audio system in the eight years I've owned the car.

I've posted the codes on the Audi forums so hopefully someone will be able to share their experience, and I'll try to look for loose connections this weekend when I have some time to do it thoroughly. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here in case anyone has had a similar issue or at least has heard of this and might have a recommendation for what else I should check.

I'll take it to the dealership for a scan if I can't resolve it, but I'd like to at least get an idea of what's actually wrong with it.