• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I will run them all down for you.

1. 2 weeks off the lot i had to take it in for low idle issues, and AC condensation leaking into the passenger area.
  2. 2 months off the lot, had to take it in for low idle issues and had a ECU re-flash done.
  3. Just last month I had to take it in for what was a loose strut mount. The car had 6k miles on it. A loose strut mount!
  4. The car rattles so much in the cabin, that it drives my crazy. Rattles from the back, the sides, the driver and passenger sides.
  5. The front windows rattle when lowered to anything but fully lowered or fully raised.
  6. The Windows close so tightly, they ruined my tint by scuffing them all up.
  7. The CVT and its shift points are choppy and maybe the worst automatic I have ever driven.
And I still have low idle issues that never were fixed. I have not had a good experience. Im actually looking forward to unloading the car hopefully 3 months earlier than the lease expires,and get something else.

That's just crazy. Sorry to hear about your experience. Hopefully it's just your experience and not indicative of every Subaru driver's experience out there. But this is discouraging for sure.

What are you thinking about getting next? Any ideas?

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
That's just crazy. Sorry to hear about your experience. Hopefully it's just your experience and not indicative of every Subaru driver's experience out there. But this is discouraging for sure.

What are you thinking about getting next? Any ideas?
That's the problem! The market is shrinking, and choice is getting slim. My last cars were:

2015 FRS 1.0
2013 FRS
370Z
Infiniti G35
Jaguar Xtype.

Honestly don't laugh, but I was looking at the Fiat 124 Abarth edition, and I almost got that instead of the WRX,but Subaru was willing to get me out of my lease 6 months early.

As for whats next, I have no idea........The fun two door affordable sports car is becoming an endangered species.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
That's the problem! The market is shrinking, and choice is getting slim. My last cars were:

2015 FRS 1.0
2013 FRS
370Z
Infiniti G35
Jaguar Xtype.

Honestly don't laugh, but I was looking at the Fiat 124 Abarth edition, and I almost got that instead of the WRX,but Subaru was willing to get me out of my lease 6 months early.

As for whats next, I have no idea........The fun two door affordable sports car is becoming an endangered species.

I've driven the new Mazda MX-5 a couple years back and I think it's a great car. I've rented it on occasion on Turo.com when I just want a fun manual gearbox to play around with for a weekend.

I've never driven the Fiat Abarth 124 but it looks really fun, too.

It seems like you've already tried some of the best out there. If you want to go into hot hatches, how about the VW Golf or Ford Focus?

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I've driven the new Mazda MX-5 a couple years back and I think it's a great car. I've rented it on occasion on Turo.com when I just want a fun manual gearbox to play around with for a weekend.

I've never driven the Fiat Abarth 124 but it looks really fun, too.

It seems like you've already tried some of the best out there. If you want to go into hot hatches, how about the VW Golf or Ford Focus?

Its tough to go back to front wheel drive (GTI) Ford Focus is probably a no go, just not a fan.

I'm hoping something cool comes out in the next 1.5 years that excites.

If Subaru came out with a something impressive in 2020 for the WRX, I would take a look at it.

Honestly, I was hoping the Toyota Supra would have been more affordable, but the speculation on pricing means its DOA. They are crazy if they think people are going to spend $55-$60k on that car. Crazy!

Last edited:

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Its tough to go back to front wheel drive (GTI) Ford Focus is probably a no go, just not a fan.

I'm hoping something cool comes out in the next 1.5 years that excites.

Id Subaru came out with a something impressive in 2020 for the WRX, I would take a look at it.

Honestly, I was hoking the Toyota Supra would have been more affordable, but the speculation on pricing means its DOA. They are crazy if they think people are going to spend $55-$60k on that car. Crazy!

Yeah. I heard that too. It better be good. You can get a standard, no option Porsche Cayman for that money and if given the option between the two I'd go for the Cayman.

Hopefully it won't be too bad sticking around with the Subaru another year. Hopefully something cool comes out. Why not lease a BMW? They're surprisingly affordable to lease when there are specials. Also fun to drive.

But I personally think it's hard to beat the MX-5. Just a fun car.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Ha, thank you! Looking forward to the races for sure, although a little anxious about doing 24 hours at Silverstone!

I can only dream of doing what you're doing. I've occasionally tracked my car, but only as a hobby, nothing close to the level of racing you're doing. Keep us updated! We don't even get Citroen cars in the US...

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, just had to drop $1,100 in my Jeeps radiator and AC condenser and thermostat housing. A bit disappointed. Shouldn't need a radiator at 80k miles but it was leaking everywhere. AC condenser was also literally falling apart for some reason so just did it all at once as it's all right there. Was missing over a pound of freon.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine

My '14 WRX manual has not had any mechanical issues; only thing was a service bulletin around coating for brake linings in salt heavy areas which they took care of gratis of course. Cosmetically that front lip of course can not be kept whole, it will crack within months and you will be annoyed and then forget it.

Interior noise and suspension rattle are a real thing though, and the latter especially annoying. I just did a 7hr holiday drive and man there were some bad bumps that make it feel like the front suspension completely bottoms out. I'd be curious about after market improvements to that if I don't get the IS 350 (dealership calling me about one on the lot...).

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I currently have a 2014 Civic Si with about 52k miles. I also have a 99 NB Miata. Wife has a 2014 Lexus ES.

I'm thinking of selling my Si and NB and getting an RF ND...am I crazy? Either that or waiting to see where the Supra is going to land on the price scale.

GAFChuck

Nov 23, 2017
I just had a complete loss of power on my way back from work in my 2.0t Santa-fe. It's a 265hp engine so it usually accelerates decently, it was taking forever to get to 30mph, even with my foot to the floor. It was revving all the way to redline, but just... nothing, it felt like I had a 60hp engine. No check engine lights.

Then I took it for another spin to do some tests... and now everything is fine, acceleration is back in full force. Any ideas what could cause this?

I was thinking turbo or exhaust, but why would it work again after stopping for about an hour?

Happened again a couple times, it seems it only happens when the car is cold. When I start my car in my interior garage, everything is fine. But every time I'm at work and it's parked outside (sub-0C temp), the problem always comes back.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happened again a couple times, it seems it only happens when the car is cold. When I start my car in my interior garage, everything is fine. But every time I'm at work and it's parked outside (sub-0C temp), the problem always comes back.
To me that really is sounding like a bad transmission, does yours have a CVT?

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
There's a new Mazda 3

kmsvj4yhaqv4x1qkpxji.jpg

hlb3ao6hcrkwsbioko5h.jpg

jnhhfuyxinruwv3uvw3l.jpg

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so undecided on that front end. Some angles it looks great, some angles it looks too squinty, some angles it looks too sparse. I think the sedan looks better with the added form in the C-pillar and trunk than the hatch. Interior looks incredible. The manual still lives!

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone gone to the LA Auto Show? I'm mildly curious to just look around (especially the 3) and the price for tickets are like $15. Worth it?

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Has anyone gone to the LA Auto Show? I'm mildly curious to just look around (especially the 3) and the price for tickets are like $15. Worth it?

I'd love to go if I lived nearby or had a free weekend coming up. I've been to other auto shows and I think they're a great experience. If you live nearby and have a chance, you should totally check it out. A lot of car makers unveiled their upcoming models and you get to be right there with them.

Oct 25, 2017
Man there are a bunch of late 88 - 91 MR2s in my area for sale. I kinda wanna pick one up as a fun car. I hear they're super intense around corners though.

But they're so cheap that it's tempting just to have a fun toy lol.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought a new 2019 Ram Rebel back in August, and I guess they never told me that it can't get Chryslers Uconnect. So I went to the dealer that I bought it at, and there is nothing that can be done. BUT my sales man asked me if I wanted a new truck? I'm like well if I have to pay and whatnot then no, but he said he would see if he can do just an even exchange with no problems and more equipment then the truck that I have now.

If he can get me into a new truck with no add cost or anything else, then I'm really surprised about how above and beyond my dealer will go.

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
So I bought a new 2019 Ram Rebel back in August, and I guess they never told me that it can't get Chryslers Uconnect. So I went to the dealer that I bought it at, and there is nothing that can be done. BUT my sales man asked me if I wanted a new truck? I'm like well if I have to pay and whatnot then no, but he said he would see if he can do just an even exchange with no problems and more equipment then the truck that I have now.

If he can get me into a new truck with no add cost or anything else, then I'm really surprised about how above and beyond my dealer will go.

No way they will get you into a new truck with no added cost. The second that truck drove off the lot, it lost money.

What do you mean that it can't get the Uconnect? As in it has the base 5" screen? Honestly that's more on you than the dealer not telling you. You should have researched the three different Uconnect versions they offer. Keep an eye out on https://www.infotainment.com. You may be able to swap it out eventually when they get parts. I have a Grand Cherokee which has the same system, and you can upgrade the screen in that and it's plug/play.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that 2019 Mazda 3 in the new Polymetal Grey and the Black out kit(rear diffuser, rims, front lip) looks sexy. It also comes with a Burgundy Red interior, which is exclusive to the hatch. Hopefully the SkyActive X engine lives up to the hype.

The fact that this vehicles come in both Auto and Manual with the AWD option, is awesome. This will be my new daily driver if it is set to release anytime in the spring/summer of next year.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i was worried about the hatchback from the press shots but in the film it looks so much better wow

secondgen

Oct 27, 2017
California
Hi everyone! There's a lot of awesome cars in here and no bad ones for sure! Don't know why it took me so long to post in here but better late than never. This is my pride and joy, my 2005 Pontiac GTO. Bought her in February 2010 bone stock with about 45,000 miles on the odo. One previous owner.

I kept it unmodified for about 2 years and then the insanity started. It started small, as all insanity does. I figured some smog legal shorty headers and an intake would be no big deal. Then coilovers. Can't have coilovers without wheels and tires, oh no. And hey, why not just a little more performance while I'm at it. Maybe a cam. What kind of cam? Dunno. Nothing too lopey or extreme that would affect idle or the tamer driving characteristics of the car that I would like to keep. Oh look at that, GM makes a factory blower cam. Of course, that would require a blower on the car to make any kind of logical sense. Welp, I've always wanted a forced induction car...

So with a tad over 80,000 daily driven miles on the car I added a Magnuson TVS 1900 supercharger, LS9 cam, upgraded valve springs, lifters and hardened pushrods. The exhaust from the cats back is still stock.

80,000 fun filled, grinning like a lunatic miles later, something went wrong. I started to notice a squealing, like a bad belt or pulley. No big deal, I'll take it to my local mechanic in a week or so to get it checked out. Then I noticed a tap tap tapping sound. A sound that definitely hadn't been there before. Oh God no...

So I take it to this local shop and they seem to think it might just be the water pump. Phew, crisis averted. Nope. After installing the water pump the squealing and tapping are still there. So they run the car briefly without the accessory belt and the squealing and tapping are still there so it can't be a belt or pulley. He says he thinks the tapping is coming from the bottom end and it may be a rod bearing and that I should prepare myself for a rebuild or new motor. So a decision will have to be made.

There's more to the story but this is already a long ass wall of text post, so I'll finish it in another post, but just know the story will have a happy ending.

Last edited:

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wow there are so many updates here since I last visited. Absolutely loved reading everyones posts and seeing pictures of your cars and new cars you guys have posted.

On a side note, I have discovered VinWiki's youtube car channel stories and Im absolutely loving Ed Bolian's style and stories

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
How do I learn to drive a manual transmission without owning a manual car?
Do you know anybody with one that can help you learn on theirs? My dad and my sister had stick shift cars over the years, so I would occasionally attempt to drive one and understood the basics. But I never truly learned how to drive on until I owned one myself.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Do you know anybody with one that can help you learn on theirs? My dad and my sister had stick shift cars over the years, so I would occasionally attempt to drive one and understood the basics. But I never truly learned how to drive on until I owned one myself.
I don't think I know anyone with one.

The only reason I'm thinking about it is I'm considering buying a used truck and you have a much wider selection if you opt for one with manual transmission.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I know anyone with one.

The only reason I'm thinking about it is I'm considering buying a used truck and you have a much wider selection if you opt for one with manual transmission.
Yep, and they tend to be cheaper. Bought a truck with a manual transmission last year.

Hmm. While you certainly can buy one and learn on it, it'll make evaluating them difficult. The owner/salesman may help you out, though.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Buy one! Lol I basically learned how to drive manual myself by just buying one and driving it home after a quick crash course from the seller. It was a messy drive but it was satisfying.
When I was first learning to drive I would ask my parents about manual cars and they were always like "You'll burn out the clutch!'

So now I have this like deep rooted fear about it.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
'Just do it' sounds crazy to me, especially if you live anywhere with hills, etc. I learned on an old Dodge truck with a super loose clutch, was a nice intro, and then bought a manual Civic which was also quite forgiving. Have only driven manuals for the last twenty years.

Surprised to hear you have lots of manual trucks, too? Are you not in the States? Only new truck you can buy here that is a manual is a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier. We had a hell of a time finding a manual Tacoma and getting any leverage on price, etc, due to that scarcity, which sucked.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal, but I would say literally half the trucks I've seen listed were manual. I guess people feel it provides extra power for hauling?

The Toyotas in particular seem to be regarded as virtually unkillable. I see lots over 200k miles with owners insistent they're good for much more than that.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
'Just do it' sounds crazy to me, especially if you live anywhere with hills, etc. I learned on an old Dodge truck with a super loose clutch, was a nice intro, and then bought a manual Civic which was also quite forgiving. Have only driven manuals for the last twenty years.

Surprised to hear you have lots of manual trucks, too? Are you not in the States? Only new truck you can buy here that is a manual is a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier. We had a hell of a time finding a manual Tacoma and getting any leverage on price, etc, due to that scarcity, which sucked.
The Colorado and Canyon both offer a manual as well. As do the Ram 2500/3500 with the diesel engine, oddly enough.

How common they are depends on age. Last year, I was primarily looking at mid-90s to early 2000s compact trucks. While they were far from the majority a decent amount had a manual transmission. Wound up getting a 2006 Mazda B2300 with a manual transmission for $3k.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You might be harsh on it at first but clutches aren't these fragile parts that you're supposed to treat with a delicate touch, people would have you believe they are. They are built to take abuse.

Depends on the car - and I weep for engineers who created what they thought were bulletproof tolerances when I hear some Scubies and GTIs at traffic lights.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
especially if you're just slipping it at 2k rpm in first, you aren't gonna destroy your clutch starting out