• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Here's mine:
cjtYDLR.jpg

I won't talk you out of it :)

Such a beaut! Specs? Pros and cons please? I keep hearing centerlock wheels are bad for street use.

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
That's good to know about CarPlay. I've never really used the feature before. Seems nice and I guess I'll find out soon enough.

As for the Macan, I found the base engine to be fine. I don't mind more power if it's a reasonable price increase, but if I can't have it I won't lose any sleep at all. I test drove a base Macan and it had the getty-up-and-go from a red light that I'm used to having. Also, going with Macan opens up the world of CPOs, as used 2017s and 2018s would get warranties lasting through 2023, and 2024 respectively, with unlimited miles. And of course the prices would be even better. I admit that I am a smidge concerned about the Macan's storage space. It has *so much less* than its competitors and since I want to drive it cross country (3k mi trip), space is going to matter. I'm not sure how much I'll really need, but boy I sure would hate to suddenly not have enough as I'm finishing packing. IDK, but I'll need to have a good idea about it in oh...about 10 hours time.

I agree regarding the F-Pace on all counts. It really is in the same direction, but with *considerably* more storage space. It also has Apple CarPlay so maybe its relatively vanilla default infotainment system doesn't matter at all. After that, the only issue I had with the F-Pace was the finish on some of the plastic bits on the inside. Specifically around the door storage compartments. Along with the aforementioned hood panel alignment which could/should be better and would have to be addressed before I'd accept delivery. I didn't see anything that would stop me from buying this one. Everything was a generally good experience here.

Range Rover remains a wild card. I'll give it a good, honest look and let them see if they can get to a price competitive with the others. If they can and I like the tech just that much, I'll have a harder decision to make than I originally had to make that day.

I'll be at the Land Rover dealership at 8:30am when they open. I'm not wasting any time.

Right now I think the F-Pace is the leader. New and CPO Porsche's might sneak ahead. A new or low-mileage 2017/2018 Macan/S might push me to go Porsche if it has the options I need. Land Rover is idunno.

More feedback is certainly welcome! And the more I think about it, the more I'm glad all of these rather average infotainment systems can be overridden with CarPlay.
Long time no chat man!

F-Pace vs Macan is a question of size. If you need more than what the Macan offers, go with the F-Pace. If there's a crazy good lease option on the F-Pace, potentially go that route regardless.

But, if neither of those things are in play, 100% Macan. It's more reliable, a better driver, will hold value waaaaaaaaaay more than the F-Pace, and is overall a better vehicle.

I don't think waiting for the updated interior is worth a huge price hike, especially with the prices that you can get on slightly older ones that the dealer will be looking to make a deal on. The new engine is also a bit of a question mark, since it's no longer Porsche's, they're going with the VAG 6 that is found in pretty much everything.
Hi era - I am currently eyeing a CPO'd 911 GTS

Porsche-911-GTS-754766.jpg

Anyone have one? Anyone wanna talk me out of it? LOL
Year/Price? Shop it against a 997 GT3 or even an S. If you're after it for a DD and don't want to put miles on a GT3, I get it. But the 997 is more fun, IMO. 991s feel like GTs in comparison, which is potentially great if it's a DD. But as a second car with some track time, I'd go 997 all day every day.

Selling the M3?

*edit*

also, keep in mind, you'd likely be able to sell the GT3 for the same price you bought it for, if not more. Potentially the 997 S as well, last model with hydraulic steering, and before the bloat started. They'll be special.

Last edited:

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Year/Price? Shop it against a 997 GT3 or even an S. If you're after it for a DD and don't want to put miles on a GT3, I get it. But the 997 is more fun, IMO. 991s feel like GTs in comparison, which is potentially great if it's a DD. But as a second car with some track time, I'd go 997 all day every day.

Selling the M3?

*edit*

also, keep in mind, you'd likely be able to sell the GT3 for the same price you bought it for, if not more. Potentially the 997 S as well, last model with hydraulic steering, and before the bloat started. They'll be special.

Yeah I was considering GT3 but then that's a bit too hardcore for weekend pleasure car. I also want something my wife can drive with easy effort. That's why I am leaning towards GTS... GT3 would be badass if it was just me for sure, it's a halo car.

I am planning on selling the M3 and then making the S2k a track car... it's plenty fun and can be quick enough on track with the right mods. Also the S2k cost for mods, maintenance, etc is very cheap compared to my M3. For comparison rotors for S2k is less than $50 a pop vs $400 for M3 haha.

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
Yeah, the S2000 is really light on consumables too. Probably goes through tires and brakes half as quickly as the M3. Excellent track car.

Before you say the GT3 is too hardcore for a weekend car, try to give a 997 a go. There's a couple things about the 911 that make even the "hardcore" versions really livable. For starters, the entire engine is behind you, so you have a really isoalted/comfy cabin. They're also damped well, not like the performance versions of commuter cars like AMG/M/RS stuff. I'd be willing to bet your E90 is a bit harsher than a 997 GT3.

Are you looking at the 991.2 or 991.1 for the GTS?

maxpl

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
[QUOTE="pedanticmikey, post: 16476103, member: 51070"

also, keep in mind, you'd likely be able to sell the GT3 for the same price you bought it for, if not more. Potentially the 997 S as well, last model with hydraulic steering, and before the bloat started. They'll be special.[/QUOTE]

not anymore.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Yeah, the S2000 is really light on consumables too. Probably goes through tires and brakes half as quickly as the M3. Excellent track car.

Before you say the GT3 is too hardcore for a weekend car, try to give a 997 a go. There's a couple things about the 911 that make even the "hardcore" versions really livable. For starters, the entire engine is behind you, so you have a really isoalted/comfy cabin. They're also damped well, not like the performance versions of commuter cars like AMG/M/RS stuff. I'd be willing to bet your E90 is a bit harsher than a 997 GT3.

Are you looking at the 991.2 or 991.1 for the GTS?

991.2 for the GTS. Also if I get GT3 it'll be 991.1 at least. Not looking to get anything too old esp for a P car. Most 997 GT3s have been beaten to death :p

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
Well shit, 991.1 GT3 is basically a comfy luxury car ;)

991.2 GTS would be a ton of fun as a weekend car, and great on road trips with that extra space. I'd personally still aim for the the N/A, but I could see the insane turbo torque being a fun change of pace for someone already rocking an E90 and S2K.

It's rly hard to go wrong with the 911. Probably the only car I'd consider selling my E39 for, aside from another E39!

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
I am with Rhindle in the GTS club - same color too. NA manual. It's fun as hell to drive and I have used it as a sort of DD - drove it to work a few times a week. I don't mind rowing gears in traffic, you need to able to tolerate that if you wanna DD it.

Had some health issues in recent times so it's been fairly idle, but slowly getting to a place where that will be rectified.

Wanted a 911 since I was a kid, finally got there in 2016. It's the last gas powered car I plan on owning.

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
You should want to. I was not a Porsche guy until I was given a ride in a few, and then had a go in a 993 and 997. Then a switch flips and all that praise that you put aside as hyperbole makes all the sense in the world.

LostInTme

Jan 3, 2019
Some nice motors in here! :)

Thought I'd add a few of my British marques to the mix. I bought the 650S Spider new a couple of years back, fully specced. MSO metallic Pearl White/red leather with alcantara headlining. Full carbon fibre interior/exterior kit, Sports exhaust, lifting gear, Meridian sound etc. Love driving the thing and have recently hit the 20k mileage mark, but will probably be chopped in next year for the 720S Spider.
UP975i7.jpg

Z2k7ing.jpg
Wow! My dream car right there! aren't you that FORCE guy with the crazy gaming/theater setup? I thought you had an Aston and a Bentley?

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should want to. I was not a Porsche guy until I was given a ride in a few, and then had a go in a 993 and 997. Then a switch flips and all that praise that you put aside as hyperbole makes all the sense in the world.

I LOVE Porsche; just in the last 8 months we bought a new house and planning a wedding. Need self-control in this case. Currently, I have a heavily modified E92 M3 with the S65 engine (and yes I replaced the rod bearings recently) that I use a fun car and couple of newer 2018s BMWs as DD.

One thing is that I don't know anything about working on Porsches - so that will be fun to learn down the line.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be redoing my brakes by myself for the first time, made sure I've read/watched every guide I can but still a bit nervous I'll mess it up...

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Such a beaut! Specs? Pros and cons please? I keep hearing centerlock wheels are bad for street use.

Cons are you can't change your own tire, but since you probably wouldn't have a spare even with the CS then you'd still be in the same situation: sealant and compressor. The only other big deal is who you buy your tires from. I use a local place that does not have a center lock torque wrench. And if you use a local place, they probably don't either. Which means dealership for new tires which means big markup on tire and labor.

But that might not be an issue for you.

Why the 458 over the 488? NA?

How you like it? I've run into a guy with a 570S a few times and he's loved the car but it's been stuck at the dealership constantly for issues.

Irate

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be redoing my brakes by myself for the first time, made sure I've read/watched every guide I can but still a bit nervous I'll mess it up...

There's not much to it, if you've watched someone do it I'm sure you'll be okay. Doubly so if you're just doing pads, there's not much that can go wrong there.

Don't forget to bed the brakes at the end with whatever the pad/rotor manufacturer recommends.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm refinishing the calipers which lead to switching to stainless steel lines which led to replacing the pads and rotors as well because they weren't shiny enough...

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
Why the 458 over the 488? NA?
I bought the 458 new. The 488 hadn't even been produced.👍🏻
How you like it? I've run into a guy with a 570S a few times and he's loved the car but it's been stuck at the dealership constantly for issues.
Love it. The only issue I've ever had was water entering the rear light array when washing/detailing the car which was fixed (for free) with a newly designed cover. I've met numerous owners either from car meets or from McLaren invite days and I've yet to meet anyone with serious issues whether it be a 570, 650, 675LT, 720 or P1.

McLaren Ascot have been exceptional with looking after the car for us from day one. They even pick the car up for us and return it on service days on their covered loader for the 190 mile round trip. Ferrari never did that.

The only negative is that McLaren Ascot also look after that Shmee's car too so I do my best to avoid him whenever I'm up there lol.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ive been talking with my father, I think we might end up getting an SLC kit in a year. We always joked about restoring a car, but that requires a lot of tools/experience that neither of us have.
After reading the SLC forums and what not - it will definitely be a challenge but we figured why not especially since you are able to order 1/16 stages at a time if you even want. Only difficult part will be that he is a busy doc and I will be in my last year of med school/residency by the time we begin lol

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Discovered something rather annoying about my TT Mk3 this morning.

Went out to head to work and found that the keyless fob battery had run out with no warning. More annoyingly I was at my parents so didn't have the spare key to hand. When I unlocked the car using the manual key it immediately triggered the alarms which seems rather stupid if the car has been unlocked with a legitimate key. Managed to get the car locked again which stopped the siren, but the lights were still flashing.
Fortunately I was able to use my dads car to head home, grab the spare keyless fob which still worked and then turn off the alarm and start the car.

Checking the user manual though it turns out that whilst you can unlock the car using the manual key (with the manual making no mention of the alarm being triggered when you do), it is impossible to actually start the engine without a working keyless fob. Given how easy fobs are to clone there seems to be no security advantage to not having an emergency way to start the engine using the keyless fob. What are you supposed to do if it runs out when you're out and about in the middle of nowhere? Especially when the car doesn't warn you the battery is running low. (The manual says it's supposed to, but mine certainly didn't)

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
I'm .a lurker on the bluray forum. ;) I saw that post about the McLaren film and found it interesting. You should share that here.
Aaah I see. That was a great evening!

Amanda McLaren (Bruce's daughter) invited a few of us to the McLaren Technology Centre (MTC) in Woking back in August 2017 for a special screening of the McLaren Film which was hosted by herself and her husband Stephen.

We all met up at McLaren Ascot for a few drinks and a chat (excuse the cacky iPhone pics):

NRZaKVm.jpg

a0QLOHS.jpg

Then we all drove in convoy (which got split up almost straight away due to UK traffic!) the short journey from Ascot to MTC. A quick vid of the trip:

Arrival at MTC:

YPeLxCJ.jpg

Then we went underground into McLaren's secret bunker....the place is space age. We had some nibbles and refreshments before the flick and had time to check out the 570S Spider:

yjSMaGu.jpg

Then it was time for the main event. McLaren have a purpose built cinema underground at MTC. Very impressive. Amanda gave a chat before hand, then Stephen introduced the film. Extremely interesting:

Hg64uOP.jpg

It was a great night and one I'll remember for years to come.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to search for used cars these days (private listings)?

There's so many sites: Craigslist, Facebook, Offerup, LetGo, Ebay, newspaper classifieds. And the listings all feel kind of scattered. Craigslist used to be the go to spot, but it's sort of ovewhelming now.

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
BringATrailer is the best if you're after an enthusiast car.

AutoTrader and Cars.com are good if you're after general inventory. Just make sure you get a PPI done prior to purchase, and you should be good to go. Craigslist is decent for local hidden gems.

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
I don't think there's any reason why enthusiast cars can't be great commuter cars, and always try to talk people in to something with character that they love, rather than a transportation appliance.

But if that doesn't sound interesting, and you just want an appliance, then yeah, BAT is not the place to look.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I love BAT, just the other day they had a very low (like 4k miles) r5 turbo. So bad ass... but how would you even maintain something like that in the states?

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
Eh, iono about that.

Keeping my E39 M5 from BAT running solid as a DD for over two years now. I'm definitely not rich.

R5 turbo has plenty of aftermarket support. I think it'd be fairly easy, as long as you are open to doing work yourself or have a local mechanic that would be comfortable working on it.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, iono about that.

Keeping my E39 M5 from BAT running solid as a DD for over two years now. I'm definitely not rich.

R5 turbo has plenty of aftermarket support. I think it'd be fairly easy, as long as you are open to doing work yourself or have a local mechanic that would be comfortable working on it.

that too is problematic. i live in a very rural area. while i think i have a good and fair mechanic not sure he'd be a good fit. this is literally just dreams though. i'm not in the market for a new car, and when i am i think i'll stick with something more responsible

camaro z1 1le

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
that too is problematic. i live in a very rural area. while i think i have a good and fair mechanic not sure he'd be a good fit. this is literally just dreams though. i'm not in the market for a new car, and when i am i think i'll stick with something more responsible
Yeah this is a concern for me living in Maine if I go down the 911 route. The local Porsche dealer is not the greatest and there isn't a significant supply of third party mechanics.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Is a car with four wheel drive less fuel efficient all the time, or is it only when you're actually in four wheel drive mode?

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Is a car with four wheel drive less fuel efficient all the time, or is it only when you're actually in four wheel drive mode?
It'd still be slightly less efficient than the equivalent 2WD vehicle, due to the additional weight and there'd still be some transfer case friction. But yes, it is more efficient in 2WD mode than 4WD mode.

Oct 25, 2017
Man I am kind of disappointed with the new Supra, between the BWM engine, the weird styling, it just doesn't feel like it's going to be a successor to the MK4 none of that spirit feels like it's in the A90.