• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
How do you feel about grille guards on a truck?
They serve a really important purpose in rural areas. You won't see a truck without one in Montana, because you will very likely be hitting an animal. They're great for offroading for the eventual bump/scrape with a rock or tree.

But putting them on for the sake of aesthetics is like putting a giant spoiler on a street car. It can look decent, but you're still a poser.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
If the 3.0 Supra base is $50k, what would you think the 2.0 turbo will be priced at? $42? If it's 37-42 I will bite.

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i kind of like the new supra. but at that price point i dont see it sniffing the ass of a m2 competition.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
ok, going out on a limb, white looks HOT

gh09rpbhd3go7tlscu33.jpg

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that I am able to comfortably trash the 86 in everything from off the line to twisties in my banal sedan continues to baffle me. I understand feel and throwability but it can't race anything except other 86s and old miatas.

I don't understand why it's used as a metric for anything except 86s.

My understanding is that the US is only getting the three liter and fancy trim Supra anyway so it looks like the Lexus and Infiniti two doors are the right comparison. I don't understand why the Toyobaru is being discussed outside of loose silhouette.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Does anyone here know how tunable the Z4 engine is? I hope it isn't as weak as the 86/BRZ and one can slap on some aftermarket parts and a bigger turbo without putting a new window in the block.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Even with a much smaller engine?
I'm reading US won't get the 197 HP version but instead will get the 258. From what I'm hearing 197 is only for Japanese market.
Even with a much smaller engine?
I'm reading US won't get the 197 HP version but instead will get the 258. From what I'm hearing 197 is only for Japanese market.

Welp I just read there are no plans to bring the 4 cylinder over to the us, so there go my hopes and dreams.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know if this was the best place to ask this. I currently drive a 1999 Nissan Sentra with an aftermarket radio already installed. Can I buy a new radio without having to do any rewiring

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I didn't know if this was the best place to ask this. I currently drive a 1999 Nissan Sentra with an aftermarket radio already installed. Can I buy a new radio without having to do any rewiring
Hard to say without seeing what the previous owner did, but in all likelihood, yes. If you can slide it out you can see if there's a custom wiring harness behind it with an adapter for the new head unit. You can go to some place like Crutchfield and enter make/model/year and see the options, and then call them and chat about installing it against what you have.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone here know how tunable the Z4 engine is? I hope it isn't as weak as the 86/BRZ and one can slap on some aftermarket parts and a bigger turbo without putting a new window in the block.

If it's turbo'd then there will certainly be ECU options available.

That said, the Supra is incredibly disappointing.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys expect Toyota to move a lot of units at that price point? By the time the car is out you might be able to find M2 competition, 718s, and a few other cars for ~50k used.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Until driving impressions come out I couldn't say.

But there's little chance that it outperforms the 718 in any capacity...

It really feels like they made the same mistake Acura did. Just release a new car with a famous name plate and ignore the things people liked in that name plate to begin with.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What model/year is it?

They've gotten a bit more reliable since they swapped from Citroen power plants to BMW.

2009, a base model. We sold it now though. Endless powertrain issues with the car...broke a tooth and skipped timing, bent a valve, cam sensor issues, extremely jerky shifting from the auto transmission, eventually started stalling outright which was troubleshooted multiple times by her dealer and myself and couldn't be solved. When we sold it (the seller was well aware of the problems and was willing to fix it), the buyer got back to me and noted the intake hose clamp was slightly loose 🤦 Felt like a dumbass on that one lol.

The MINI handled incredibly, but the experience left a bad taste in mouth. I want to like them, but it's hard to justify after that experience.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
2009, a base model. We sold it now though. Endless powertrain issues with the car...broke a tooth and skipped timing, bent a valve, cam sensor issues, extremely jerky shifting from the auto transmission, eventually started stalling outright which was troubleshooted multiple times by her dealer and myself and couldn't be solved. When we sold it (the seller was well aware of the problems and was willing to fix it), the buyer got back to me and noted the intake hose clamp was slightly loose 🤦 Felt like a dumbass on that one lol.

The MINI handled incredibly, but the experience left a bad taste in mouth. I want to like them, but it's hard to justify after that experience.

Yup. That's the Citroen platform, notoriously bad. The new 100% BMW stuff is in the X1, X2, and will be in the upcoming FWD 2 Series additions.

I really would like a Mini Clubman but even the JCW version is incredibly underpowered and expensive.

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
The fact that I am able to comfortably trash the 86 in everything from off the line to twisties in my banal sedan continues to baffle me. I understand feel and throwability but it can't race anything except other 86s and old miatas.

I don't understand why it's used as a metric for anything except 86s.

My understanding is that the US is only getting the three liter and fancy trim Supra anyway so it looks like the Lexus and Infiniti two doors are the right comparison. I don't understand why the Toyobaru is being discussed outside of loose silhouette.
Performance as a sole measurement of, "why would you buy a performance car", is kinda ridiculous.

Let me put an extreme example out there, a new Camry would likely destroy a Countach as well as a G body Porsche around most tracks. Why would anyone bother buying one of those?

Or a more modern example, why would anyone buy an M2, F-Type, or RS5 when a Model 3 Performance would outpace all three on a track?

In the case of the 86 and Miata, the same thing applies. They're two of the most distilled and inexpensive pure driving experiences out there. They're a total joy to row through gears in, especially on back roads.

It's a great metric to use for, "fun driving experience."

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Performance as a sole measurement of, "why would you buy a performance car", is kinda ridiculous.

Let me put an extreme example out there, a new Camry would likely destroy a Countach as well as a G body Porsche around most tracks. Why would anyone bother buying one of those?

Or a more modern example, why would anyone buy an M2, F-Type, or RS5 when a Model 3 Performance would outpace all three on a track?

In the case of the 86 and Miata, the same thing applies. They're two of the most distilled and inexpensive pure driving experiences out there. They're a total joy to row through gears in, especially on back roads.

It's a great metric to use for, "fun driving experience."

Exactly. If you care about fast lap times, or beating other cars around a track or in a drag race, then the 86 is not for you. Its a car for people who just want a fun car to drive around. Fun cars don't have to be fast, or even handle that well.

I have a nissan 240sx for a track car, and its not very fast at all, or even the fastest car I own, but its still fun to drive.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
What's your guys thought on the new Jeep Wrangler JL. I was thinking of buying a 2D Rubicon 6spd manual as a second car?

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion Toyota needed to bring the Supra 4 banger to the US at $39-42k. It would have sold well. They made a huge mistake.

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
What's your guys thought on the new Jeep Wrangler JL. I was thinking of buying a 2D Rubicon 6spd manual as a second car?
As a former Jeep owner: don't buy one unless you love the Jeeo experience, or are planning on off roading.

It's not a great car by any measure. It's awful on the highway, it's noisy, it's not very comfortable. But if you dig the experience of driving top down with the doors off, there's nothing remotely like it, and all those negatives go away.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
My car (that I got in September) was in for MOT this morning. Needed one new wiper blade to pass. However the brake pads, brake discs, back wiper and both back tyres (on from original, 2013 plate) were "advisory." I only do about 6 miles a day now so I'm hoping this outlay will be the only work I ever need to do on it before handing over the keys to my daughter in 16 years time. If I tell myself that, the £350 bill is a bit easier to stomach.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
As a former Jeep owner: don't buy one unless you love the Jeeo experience, or are planning on off roading.

It's not a great car by any measure. It's awful on the highway, it's noisy, it's not very comfortable. But if you dig the experience of driving top down with the doors off, there's nothing remotely like it, and all those negatives go away.

Yea, it would be like a fun car. I already have a AMG C63S and a 2019 Ram Rebel, I just wanted something fun (I know my C63S is fun) and taking off the door in the summertime and stuff like that would be cool.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I rather like the V6 pentastar in my wk2, and a wrangler would be even more fun off-road than the grand Cherokee. My wk2 churns through snow like it's nothing too. It's got enough go. You could go the 4 cycliner turbo route too and tune it. Apparently there is no manual option with that for some reason. Bummer. I was thinking that might be my next rig a few years down the line. The V6 has awful city fuel economy unless you reeaaaaallly baby it. 25 highway and like 15 city for me unless I really make an effort I can get to 18 or so city.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
I rather like the V6 pentastar in my wk2, and a wrangler would be even more fun off-road than the grand Cherokee. My wk2 churns through snow like it's nothing too. It's got enough go. You could go the 4 cycliner turbo route too and tune it. Apparently there is no manual option with that for some reason. Bummer. I was thinking that might be my next rig a few years down the line. The V6 has awful city fuel economy unless you reeaaaaallly baby it. 25 highway and like 15 city for me unless I really make an effort I can get to 18 or so city.

I would have got the 4 banger in a manual, but as you said they don't offer it for some reason and I think it's like another 2-3k more.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Hello! I recently just came back from Japan and wanted to share some photos with all of you! Growing up in SoCal during the hype of Gran Turismo and Fast and Furious, these were always the "holy grail" cars for me so I was quite in awe of all of these. Of course that awe turned into great excitement when I rented an R34 GT-R and drove it up Mt Tsukuba....man I loved it.

I'm no photographer by any means but, enjoy!

Album

Also, I was wondering how they would let a Midnight Purple R34 become some renters toy....but I popped the hood and checked a VIN it was just a respray from a black V-Spec haha.

Last edited:

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
That's spectacular, and definitely the best color GTR. Respray or not, still looks outstanding. Must have been an amazing trip!

Gritesh

Oct 25, 2017
Whelp.

I've gone and done it, I sold my 2015 stage 2+ sti the other day.

I went ahead and ordered a 2019 ZL1 to replace it with, I am in Canada so I likely wont see the car till April or May anyways..

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Very cool! Mega Web is incredible, so much old school JDM goodness in the history museum.

I accidentally stumbled into that Mega Web after checking out Team Labs with my Wife, she wanted to take a photo of this nice lit up bridge. So I stood there just looking around and I see the words HISTORY GARAGE...I immediately darted for the entrance, haha.

That's spectacular, and definitely the best color GTR. Respray or not, still looks outstanding. Must have been an amazing trip!

I agree, there's something about the Midnight Purple that just pulls you in...the trip was great. Japan was such a great place to visit!

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the place where I can ask about DIY parts replacement? Looking to replace the spark plugs in my Rav4 for a long drive I have to make this week. I've been noticing my car taking a little longer to start, and I know my current plugs are way past due. After looking up some videos on YT the front plug looks pretty simple to replace. However, the rear plug seems to be a real pain to get to. Have any of you replaced your own spark plugs, and have any advice?

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the place where I can ask about DIY parts replacement? Looking to replace the spark plugs in my Rav4 for a long drive I have to make this week. I've been noticing my car taking a little longer to start, and I know my current plugs are way past due. After looking up some videos on YT the front plug looks pretty simple to replace. However, the rear plug seems to be a real pain to get to. Have any of you replaced your own spark plugs, and have any advice?
Hardest part of spark plugs is always getting to them - if you can find a good way to access them the actual installation should be straightforward from there. I know on my RX-7 you have to put it up on stands to access them from underneath, but it's trivial from there.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

taking longer to start could be a lot of things tbh.

Anyway, as for spark plugs, it could be easy or a bit difficult depending on whether your rav4 is a 4cyl or v6. Also, if you don't have one, I would highly recommend investing in a torque wrench for installing new spark plugs. That and its just good to have one anyway. Also, only do one at a time so you don't mix up the spark plug wires.

Oct 27, 2017
So sold the Camaro I posted in here back on page 2 I believe. Sold it last year for a 2014 Raptor. Really enjoying it. Wife and I talked about a fun weekend car though once we pay off her Outlander and my truck in the next 2 years. I want an Audi R8 v10 but people have been telling me to stay away. Otherwise I'd consider a GT350 or a ZL1 1LE.

ta7D8Sw.jpg

Y3YAVgU.jpg