• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Hello! I recently just came back from Japan and wanted to share some photos with all of you! Growing up in SoCal during the hype of Gran Turismo and Fast and Furious, these were always the "holy grail" cars for me so I was quite in awe of all of these. Of course that awe turned into great excitement when I rented an R34 GT-R and drove it up Mt Tsukuba....man I loved it.
Sounds like an amazing time! Was just in Japan too for Tokyo Auto Show but didnt get to do any actual driving. Prob gonna be back there later this year, can you let me know what rental car company you went through and what kind of paperwork/insurance was necessary? You need an international drivers license to operate vehicles in Japan, right?

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Sounds like an amazing time! Was just in Japan too for Tokyo Auto Show but didnt get to do any actual driving. Prob gonna be back there later this year, can you let me know what rental car company you went through and what kind of paperwork/insurance was necessary? You need an international drivers license to operate vehicles in Japan, right?

Oh man, I literally left right when Tokyo Auto Salon started, was pretty bummed but I didn't go to Japan for it. How was that show? Yes all you need is your International Drivers License and to reserve your car. I went to Omoshiro Rent a Car, specifically I went to their Noda location because it was the closes and it also happened to be their main shop so they have the widest selection available. - https://www.omoren.com/en/shop/detail/1

I reserved the R34 on their website, went over there on the reserved day, they copied my original Driver's License, Passport and International Driver's License, made me sign agreements that I wouldn't imitate Initial D, showed me all the dings on the car, and they said ENJOY!

The process to rent a JDM legend is much easier than renting from Enterprise or Hertz, haha.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I literally left right when Tokyo Auto Salon started, was pretty bummed but I didn't go to Japan for it. How was that show?
That show is a total carnival lol. Half the people seemed to be there for the booth models rather than the cars but there was lots of cool vehicles though from supercars to classics.
32048914047_b8281315c3_c.jpg

Also went by Mooneyes in Yokohama, an american speed shop that was purchased by japanese owners. They have a combo parts store and american diner in their building as well as a garage, really cool. Planning to delve more into the auto culture next time im there.
46076492995_a64843fc2d_c.jpg

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
What do people think of the Volkswagen Arteon or Alfa Romeo Giulia?
It's kinda naff that they only come in 5 door rather than 3 door mind.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Y'all,

I figure y'all be the most well-informed in the community about my forthcoming purchase. First time getting a car, and I want to make sure I'm not getting screwed. I'll copy and paste what I wrote over at Reddit:

Car: 2018 Toyota Camry LE
Certified Pre Owened
Pre-Approval for 4.49% via a Credit Union (five year, no early payment penalty).
Mileage: 14596.
Original Car Price (Pre-Tax): $20K, got it down to $18500.
State: Colorado
Down Payment will be $5000.00.

This is my first car purchase in my life, so I want to ensure I'm not screwing myself in any way. Went to the dealership due to my 1999 Lincoln Towncar slowly dying on me (trade in at dealership is $250; I'm ok with getting rid of that car at that price). I've planned on waiting to get a new car until I got promoted later this year (from $55000 to $66000), but the car is forcing my hand a little. I went to the dealership pre-approved and negotiated the car down a couple thousand dollars from its listing price.

I spoke to the manager as we spoke prices, and we've reached a tentative deal of $18500 for this particular car. I put down a $1000 deposit, as I wanted to be certain in my purchase (I have until Tuesday to pick up the car). I expect this will be the best deal I can muster for this particular vehicle. I'll be spending about 10% of my monthly take home on my car payments (until I get promoted and be more aggressive about paying it all off). Want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything before I finalize the deal and take the car home.

I appreciate any advice or thoughts on my situation!

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Y'all,

I figure y'all be the most well-informed in the community about my forthcoming purchase. First time getting a car, and I want to make sure I'm not getting screwed. I'll copy and paste what I wrote over at Reddit:

Certified Pre Owened
Pre-Approval for 4.49% via a Credit Union (five year, no early payment penalty).

This is my first car purchase in my life, so I want to ensure I'm not screwing myself in any way. Went to the dealership due to my 1999 Lincoln Towncar slowly dying on me (trade in at dealership is $250; I'm ok with getting rid of that car at that price). I've planned on waiting to get a new car until I got promoted later this year (from $55000 to $66000), but the car is forcing my hand a little. I went to the dealership pre-approved and negotiated the car down a couple thousand dollars from its listing price.

I spoke to the manager as we spoke prices, and we've reached a tentative deal of $18500 for this particular car. I put down a $1000 deposit, as I wanted to be certain in my purchase (I have until Tuesday to pick up the car). I expect this will be the best deal I can muster for this particular vehicle. I'll be spending about 10% of my monthly take home on my car payments (until I get promoted and be more aggressive about paying it all off). Want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything before I finalize the deal and take the car home.

I'll let others chime in but I think it's a good deal.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Y'all,

Certified Pre Owened

This looks good to me, I say go for it.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Y'all,

Certified Pre Owened

Looks like a solid purchase to me.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Y'all,

This is what your dealer likely paid or would pay for a similar car
whkxYHB.png

So seems like its a solid purchase.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate all the quality advice. I'll be going ahead tomorrow and taking that car off the dealership's hand. Feels weird that I'll finally make a major purchase such as this.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm toying with the idea of getting a Civic Type R. Anyone have that car here? My wife isn't really happy with my Focus RS and, as a daily driver, it's pretty raw. I hate the looks of the Type R but I could probably live with it in black.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I had an '06 Si four door and it was a great daily driver, suspension far more forgiving than my WRX for example. The rev hang on the drive by wire was a bit eh as I remember it but nothing terrible. I can't get down with the new aesthetics but would be willing to test drive one if I was in the market at that price range.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how people buy cars online. You can't test drive them or have a trusted mechanic look at it.

Is there something about it I'm missing?

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how people buy cars online. You can't test drive them or have a trusted mechanic look at it.

I bought my previous car by just calling my guy at the dealership and asking him to order it. We sorted all of the numbers through e-mail. No regrets were had.

golem

Oct 25, 2017

People are lazy and used to ordering stuff online? I'm pretty sure Shift at least will bring the car to you for a test drive + their own inspection service and a 5 day return policy

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine

Same way people browse at retail and then order online. Go to local dealer, arrange test drive, buy wherever price is lowest--assuming new. Used is a whole other story of course, dependent on status of factory warranty and certified pre-owned situation.

For my higher end buying experience because inventory is so low in Maine I've had to drive down to Mass. and test drive there. Higher end shops will hand deliver the car even when 100+ miles away.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Starting to do some preliminary shopping on my next car. Currently drive a 2016 Challenger Hellcat.

I definitely want to keep a manual. I'd like to move to four doors, but it's not critical. I want power. Options in the US are... not plentiful.

Right now I'm flipping between:

1. Used CPO M3
2. New M2 Competition
3. ZL1 1LE
4. Wildcard: Jeep Gladiator

Leaning heavily toward the M2 Comp. I like that it's very light on options - what you see is what you get. I drove a 2017 M2 and it was good... but not great. The interior and extras seem way better for 2019, and every impression I've read says the new engine breathes some incredible life into the machine.

Really, the only thing holding me back is that the backseat is smaller than what I have, I don't like black leather interior, and I'd probably have to buy instead of lease, because the leasing options are garbage.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to do some preliminary shopping on my next car. Currently drive a 2016 Challenger Hellcat.

I definitely want to keep a manual. I'd like to move to four doors, but it's not critical. I want power. Options in the US are... not plentiful.

1. Used CPO M3
2. New M2 Competition
3. ZL1 1LE

Leaning heavily toward the M2 Comp. I like that it's very light on options - what you see is what you get. I drove a 2017 M2 and it was good... but not great. The interior and extras seem way better for 2019, and every impression I've read says the new engine breathes some incredible life into the machine.

Really, the only thing holding me back is that the backseat is smaller than what I have, I don't like black leather interior, and I'd probably have to buy instead of lease, because the leasing options are garbage.
If you'd like 4 doors, a better backseat, and interior options besides black, the M3 the most sense to me. Just depends if you can find one you like for a price you're willing to pay.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

1. Used CPO M3
2. New M2 Competition
3. ZL1 1LE

Why no CTSV?

Chevy SS? Or is that not a big enough power plant for you?

Manual SS is a beast.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
If you'd like 4 doors, a better backseat, and interior options besides black, the M3 the most sense to me. Just depends if you can find one you like for a price you're willing to pay.

Yeah, agreed. M3 seems like the most obvious choice. But man, BMW's CPO is just so damn stingy. Just +1 year from its original in-service date. Most 2016 models were sold mid-2015... meaning that if I bought one today, it would only get another ~18 months of warranty. Unlimited miles is useless if I'm only gonna get a year and half, anyway. A 2015 that was purchased in 2014 only has a few months left. And the problem is, a 2016/2017 still hasn't seen the brunt of the depreciation curve. I'd have a hard time spending $60K on a used M3 when it would get me a brand new M2. Maybe that's silly... but being under warranty is very important to me.

Why no CTSV?

Chevy SS? Or is that not a big enough power plant for you?

Manual SS is a beast.

CTS-V was one of my favorite cars six or seven years ago. But yeah, manual is only in an ATS-V. ... Though that's actually a good suggestion. Might take a look at an ATS.

Chevy SS is out just because it's... not pretty. Really don't like how it looks. All for a sleeper. The G8 GXP was awesome. But I find the SS to be super, super vanialla and "GM rental" looking. Cool car, though. I rode passenger in one this past summer and yeah, it'll go.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You didn't say you wanted new, so that's why I through the CTSV out there. :P

If I needed a manual super sedan then the CTSV is absolutely the go to.

Right about the SS being bland, but that's what makes it the ultimate sleeper.

If you want to absolutely crazy then a Cayenne Turbo manual is an option.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Someone please explain Toyota's rational to not bring a more affordable 4 cylinder Supra to the US? It cant be because of the 86, at least if thats the reason, then jesus christ.

I can't afford $50k, but 39 or maybe even 40 was doable. WTF.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't afford $50k, but 39 or maybe even 40 was doable. WTF.
I expect that Toyota is thinking that the new supra won't be selling very well past its initial release when all the enthusiasts and people who were excited for it already bought one, so they're probably just trying to minimize releasing tons of trims for it until a market is proven for the Supra.

After all the idea of a 4 banger Supra is just not very exciting. Supra's are inline 6, that's like the main thing the new one got right. I don't think many people would be willing to pay 40k for a 250 horse power Toyota with a BWM Z4 engine, when they could just buy a BMW Z4. At least I figure it's the Z4 engine. If it isn't I'd be surprised.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
got the evo stuck this afternoon. i fear no snow, no ice... but burms. i could feel the evo getting lifted from the burm left from passing trucks. hoped i could continue to plow with my front lip, but alas, it became too much. thankfully i got quite a bit of people to stop and help and got it cleared and back to the main road that was plowed more recently.

Oct 25, 2017
That honda EV concept finally got a prototype variant, after all the safety regulation redesigns I still am absolutely in love with the design. Only thing I would change is making the black piece on the hood the same shade of white. But man It looks really neat.
2DaUp4J.jpg

I also love this interior
HmiBCKR.png

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
Volvo's Polestar 2 - the Model 3 competitor. Release planned for Summer 2020. 408hp, 78 kWh battery (275 mile range). 55k launch edition, 45k base (all after credits).

Configure here: https://www.polestar.com/

Planning on getting my next car somewhere in 2021, and it'll definitely be an electric. Android foundation is very much an advantage considering how embedded I am in Google's stuff. Volvo's usually look a lot better in person too, and I like how distinguishing they are. Sort of a fastback, elevated design here, kinda digging it.

What does everyone else feel?

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Seemed weird at first having Polestar be the name of their electric brand. But it works. Makes for a cool logo, too.

Heh, they are doing the phone as key thing, too? One of my coworkers has a Model 3. Since we can't bring our phones into the office, we leave them in the car. The Model 3 comes with a card you swipe on the B pillar instead of using the phone. I assume the Polestar 2 will have something similar if not a regular key fob.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely not the target audience for either of those (the Polestar and the Honda) but they both look really awesome. I am actually interested.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about getting a Ferrari is the stupidly long wait time for delivery.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
An acquaintance who had one said the worst part was having to get it repainted constantly when people keyed it. Eventually sold it for a Jaguar F-Type R.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Well now that I've found this topic, I thought I'd share that today I SORN my car of 13 1/2 years. I still own it but it is now in storage whilst it continues to be my project. Here are some photos of when it was in a national UK magazine.

TaGo3Hi.jpg

UkCh3CQ.jpg

GeLRS5M.jpg

yEvTfkE.jpg

It's been an emotional day.