• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god there is a convertible 88 RX7 with 125k miles on it going for about 2500 bucks.
I am so tempted, but the convertible top looks like it's in rough shape even if the rest of the car looks like a trip to the detailer would make it basically brand new, there is some rust but it's mostly on the bolts and screws for the soft top and some around the badges in the back. The seats would probably have to be replaced but the interior is clean. Very tempted but I don't really know if I wanna go all in on this.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I set up a time to go see it tomorrow.
I am gonna take it for a test drive, redline it at least once and check for leaks.
If there are no leaks then fuck it's basically going to be mine.
Rotaries aren't awful to take care of you basically just need to get oil twice as often and watch the temp.
Oh and I guess I'll need to get a compression test.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah you get a really good discount for a convertible RX7 since for some reason the drop tops aren't as popular, if the engine is good go for it.

speaking of,

in the process of refinishing my brakes and i cleaned up the calipers and painted them red... originally was planning to polish the logos for some contrast but i actually like the way they look right now., not sure i wanna bother sanding down the logo any more.
IMG-20190314-205458.jpg

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not a bad call, I'd rather be out 200 rather than 2500.
I'm trying to think of what else I need to do to make sure I don't get myself into something nasty lol.
depending on where you live there may or may not be a mechanic that specializes in rotaries - if you are fortunate enough to live near a shop by that definitely take it there before buying to have them look it over.

Good Dreams

Oct 27, 2017
Hey AutoEra. I'm looking for a little help picking out a car. My wife and I are starting to plan for having a kid. She drives a Kia Forte which is a fine family car, but I drive a 2007 Porsche Boxster. Two seats isn't really ideal. So I'm looking to trade it in for something that can safely hold a car seat.

But - I'm not giving up on something that's fun and nimble to drive. I've had my eyes on a 2015 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8L R-Spec and a 2017 or 2018 Subaru BRZ. They both have pros and cons, but I'm wondering if there's something else in their price range that I'm missing out on that would be small and fun.

I'd like to keep it around $24,000, and under 60k miles. Certified pre-owned is a plus. Any suggestions?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK BritEra. I've been watching two UK car shows on the plane. It says they're National Geographic shows, so maybe they don't even airproperly over there. Car SOS - charming, interesting vehicles and a blend of real challenges, fake/edited drama and legitimately nice people getting surprised with immaculately restored vehicles. The cast and crew are great, personable, expert etc. A bit saccharine but still fantastic seeing a really weird range of classic cars. Great! Well done.

But uh.... Supercar Megabuild? Ralph and Ronin seem pleasant enough. But the show's premise - that these two are given what should be interesting challenges - like turn a Jeep into a pickup, or create a boosted right hand drive Camaro SS or a drift-ready Rolls Royce.. I like the sound of all that. But we have to talk about Kahn.

1. What is the point of him? He doesn't really do anything except own the place, doesn't appear to have any special insight or skill - and his taste is all over the place.
2. His "top clientele" look like people you'd cast to play stereotypes but couldn't afford union actors - posh bird, soccer player, businessman.
3. Whenever he is injected into the "drama" his business acumen makes Shark Tank look like Warren Buffet. "I want to break into the US market!" Ronin "sneakily" mods jeep in Tijuana, and Kahn "realizes he's in Mexico not LA" because... he sees a garage full of Mexican auto mechanics in the background. That's like deciding someone must be in Italy because they're eating pizza. I know the cast and crew have been to LA because they filmed a lot of it there. That means they deliberately ignored a bunch of really obvious facts and sold it back to the UK as an exotic drama. And the "champagne reception" to "debut" his Jeep pickup was humiliating enough to be in the Cringe Thread.
4. His ideas are so vague, with no actual customers in mind that I genuinely wonder what his income is derived from. The vehicles are sort of OK sometimes, but a scissor-doored right hand Camaro SS with a big enough horsepower boost to maybe accomodate the massive extra weight.

I know it's all scripted fluff and I shouldn't let it bother me, but the contrast between the two shows is really jarring when you watch them back to back and they both use almost exactly the same "time pressure oh no a problem" format, yet the end results couldn't be more different. If Kahn was like, even a mediocre concept sketcher, or able to source rare vehicles, or didn't look perpetually dead eyed and empty he could at least add value.

I'm sure he's a wonderful bloke. But man.

eXWpap5.gif

Oct 25, 2017
So unfortunately that RX-7 was a bust.
It actually ran well and was in decent shape on the exterior, i'd definitely need to end up getting new seats and doing something about the convertible top.
However the car did 2 things I definitely 100% didn't like / really sketched me out.

After redlining it and parking the car to turn it off, I instantly decided to try and turn it back on but the engine felt like it took a bit more effort to get started up again.
And it looked like there were tons of leaks around the water pump.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
OK BritEra. I've been watching two UK car shows on the plane. It says they're National Geographic shows, so maybe they don't even airproperly over there. Car SOS - charming, interesting vehicles and a blend of real challenges, fake/edited drama and legitimately nice people getting surprised with immaculately restored vehicles. The cast and crew are great, personable, expert etc. A bit saccharine but still fantastic seeing a really weird range of classic cars. Great! Well done.

But uh.... Supercar Megabuild?
I think I watched a snippit of Supercar Megabuild once but it's not for me.

Car S.O.S on the other hand I'm a huge fan of. Admittedly Tim really gets on my tits to the point where I'd like to punch him in the face just once as a bucket list thing. Fuzz is a sound chap though and knows his stuff...he used to be the technical editor of the very popular Practical Classics magazine over here in the UK. (He used to also be the drummer for the band Pop Will Eat Itself! )

The level of finish to the vehicles is staggering and I saw it for myself only a couple of weeks ago when I visited the Car S.O.S exhibition at The British Motor Museum in Gaydon, Warwickshire. Some recipients of finished cars from previous shows donated their cars for the exhibition and, even though there were only seven exhibits, it was worth the 300 hundred-odd mile round trip.

YqoIqOL.jpg

I find the show a real tearjerker tbh. There has been some criticism in the past that various owners who are already financially well endowed (and could easily afford a professional restoration) have been given restored classics now worth £££££ks for free, where maybe more deserving, financially challenged people should have been given preference...which I do agree with.

However, they give the same level of attention to detail to each and every motor they work on and I only wish I had the knowledge and skill to do similar.

The TV show is a petrolhead favourite here in the UK and the new series (bar the 'live show' which was also filmed at The British Motor Museum) is excellent and includes, what for me is, the best episode yet: Series 7, Episode 1. The Triumph TR4. Such a lovely, deserving man and his reaction at the end was priceless.

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey AutoEra. I'm looking for a little help picking out a car. My wife and I are starting to plan for having a kid. She drives a Kia Forte which is a fine family car, but I drive a 2007 Porsche Boxster. Two seats isn't really ideal. So I'm looking to trade it in for something that can safely hold a car seat.

But - I'm not giving up on something that's fun and nimble to drive. I've had my eyes on a 2015 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8L R-Spec and a 2017 or 2018 Subaru BRZ. They both have pros and cons, but I'm wondering if there's something else in their price range that I'm missing out on that would be small and fun.

I'd like to keep it around $24,000, and under 60k miles. Certified pre-owned is a plus. Any suggestions?

I don't think a BRZ will work, it's really small in the back seat. I've heard of people having trouble getting seats in and out of the car. I'm not familiar in a hands-on fashion with the Genesis, but a Mustang Ecoboost was plenty fun for me. From an eye-test the back seat looked slightly more accommodating. A GTI is always a great option too. Fiesta ST is a little smaller but you could probably find new old stock for about your budget new. However the rear crash ratings are not too hot (2 stars). A Focus ST might be a better bet if you think you might have solo child care duties without the Kia.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Whoa. BRZ would be catastrophic for dadding around. But you could have tons of fun flinging the proper Subaru sedans, hatches and wagons around and plenty of space for the sprog. Sounds like you're set on RWD and two doors, but if you insist on having the permanent hoon then you should easily be able to track down a Cadillac ATS coupe (or V but you'll spend more for mad performance but the base model coupe is a pretty high displacement V6 and no slouch) and they're a lot less horrible than you might think.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So unfortunately that RX-7 was a bust.
It actually ran well and was in decent shape on the exterior, i'd definitely need to end up getting new seats and doing something about the convertible top.
However the car did 2 things I definitely 100% didn't like / really sketched me out.

After redlining it and parking the car to turn it off, I instantly decided to try and turn it back on but the engine felt like it took a bit more effort to get started up again.

And it looked like there were tons of leaks around the water pump.

How long did you drive it for before starting again? I know the Renesis engines would flood if started and stopped too soon, but not sure about 13Bs...

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The cars on your list are too small unless you and your wife are less than 5'6, especially in the brz. I made the brz work for a little over a year and could've stretched it out longer, but any carrier or car seat for your kid with essentially make the front passenger seat useless unless you don't care about the safety of your occupants. You also won't be able to transport much, which will be an issue.

Just get a sedan.

Oct 25, 2017
How long did you drive it for before starting again? I know the Renesis engines would flood if started and stopped too soon, but not sure about 13Bs...

I probably drove it for a good 10min after redlining it. I only redlined it from 2nd to 3rd. I have heard that 13B's should start up smoothly even after being just powered off if they're healthy. The fact that this struggled a bit seemed like it could be a bad sign, plus with the water pump leak. Car ran well enough, but the 2nd start up just felt sketchy.

It wasn't like I was trying to start it up when the temp gauge was high or something, the needle was right at mid.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, a weak hot start is a sign of a bad rotary. I've never flooded my RX-7 even when I was stalling it every light while getting used to the clutch and 0 bottom end torque, it can happen to 13bs but not nearly as common as with the renesis.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I was paranoid about flooding when I first got my RX8 but after a few months now I have a good feel for it. Basically, the only way you'll flood is if you start driving immediately after starting up and turn it off again within 2 minutes. My engine compression isn't exactly amazing either and I've had no issues with weak warm starts. Once your engine is warmed up, you can start stop for re-parking or whatever without worry.

On that note, my 8 is in pretty good shape and I'm considering keeping it stock except for reliability mods like a SOHN adapter and adjusting the fan timing. It kind of seems like a shame to mess with a stock car that's still in good condition. It runs great as it is too. Maybe I should look into buying an RX7 shell and building from the ground up.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got my header :)

Gonna do what the Honda community calls "VTEC Killer" on the K20A3 in my EP3. I have the bottom and top end to eventually all-motor build a K20A2 (RSX-S engine) that's gonna be my slow build, but I literally have all the parts for a VTEC Killer + the higher comp pistons from the A2. So this will be something to keep things interesting in the meantime.

Essentially VTEC Killer only runs the car on the big lobe of the cams. It makes some decent gains when tuned, people have seen about 40whp (from 160 to nearly 200). It sounds like it's a lumpy muscle car as bonus. I'm hoping the slight compression increase by putting the A2 pistons in will the bottom end of the power band a bit (a 1.2CR increase).

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa. BRZ would be catastrophic for dadding around. But you could have tons of fun flinging the proper Subaru sedans, hatches and wagons around and plenty of space for the sprog. Sounds like you're set on RWD and two doors, but if you insist on having the permanent hoon then you should easily be able to track down a Cadillac ATS coupe (or V but you'll spend more for mad performance but the base model coupe is a pretty high displacement V6 and no slouch) and they're a lot less horrible than you might think.
Base ATS coupe is actually a 2.0T (which can be had with a manual unlike the V6, if you prefer that). I have the sedan, it's a great car. Not sure how well a car seat would fit in it, but probably better than the Genesis Coupe or BRZ.

I don't have any kids, but I can't imagine ever wanting to deal with a car seat in a coupe. Rear facing seats in particular seem like they'd be a pain in the ass.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about leasing an M240i

Thoughts? Bad idea? Good idea? I just really want to have a 6 cylinder manual from BMW while they still exist in the segment. Was thinking about the Supra as well but I haven't been as impressed with what it is on paper.

Oct 25, 2017
Well since that RX-7 was a bust I guess I've got more time to spend on my 2018 Si.
I kinda wanna do a cold air intake, I've heard a lot of good things about the injen kit.
https://www.injen.com/sp1581wr.html
Anyone have any experience installing these or with injen as a whole? Is their stuff really made to last or is it something im gonna be fixing up / replacing parts for constantly?
I know a lot of people love the PRL cobra intake, but I wanna know if it's really worth 100 bucks more.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well since that RX-7 was a bust I guess I've got more time to spend on my 2018 Si.
I kinda wanna do a cold air intake, I've heard a lot of good things about the injen kit.
https://www.injen.com/sp1581wr.html
Anyone have any experience installing these or with injen as a whole? Is their stuff really made to last or is it something im gonna be fixing up / replacing parts for constantly?
I know a lot of people love the PRL cobra intake, but I wanna know if it's really worth 100 bucks more.

I have an Injen cold-air on my EP3 for the past 4-5 years and it's been OK. The install kinda sucked given the size of the intake, I had to cut part of my fender liner. And the elbow that connects to the hard piping to the intake manifold just barely touches the hot hose of the radiator...

However it's been reliable in terms of not coming loose or needing much attention. The waterproof cover is legit; you can literally fill it with water and it won't leak.

Oct 25, 2017
I have an Injen cold-air on my EP3 for the past 4-5 years and it's been OK. The install kinda sucked given the size of the intake, I had to cut part of my fender liner. And the elbow that connects to the hard piping to the intake manifold just barely touches the hot hose of the radiator...

However it's been reliable in terms of not coming loose or needing much attention. The waterproof cover is legit; you can literally fill it with water and it won't leak.

Good to know, yeah the install on the 10th gen after watching some vids doesn't seem awful except for the part where it looks like you need to basically remove the entire front bumper to get to where the filter sits. It looks like it sits in the corner at the bottom.instead of on top like most CAI's I've seen. It sounds great, but you can only get so much of the sound quality through a youtube video. It seems like it has a very loud blow offy sound is that how it sounds in yours?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Base ATS coupe is actually a 2.0T (which can be had with a manual unlike the V6, if you prefer that). I have the sedan, it's a great car. Not sure how well a car seat would fit in it, but probably better than the Genesis Coupe or BRZ.

I don't have any kids, but I can't imagine ever wanting to deal with a car seat in a coupe. Rear facing seats in particular seem like they'd be a pain in the ass.

I've read my response eight times now and I literally can't explain how I ended up typing the exact opposite of what I was suggesting. Like, legitimately questioning my sanity - and I can't remember if I was cut and pasting or if something has actually failed in my brain.

What I remember typing (or intending to type) was actually a comparison between the low power and flingability of the BRZ and the 2.0 base - and that the base was more powerful than the BRZ but the V is a completely different car and priced accordingly.

And also that the 2.0 is much easier and cheaper to live with. And can be had easily at the poster's price and mileage needs. And further I knew the V was flapped but I didn't realize the Base could be had with stick. That's counterintuitive. I briefly considered a Caddy over my A4 because with rebates I'd have been able to get the Caddy equivalent of an A6 or E class but I really only got back into caddies from rental experience and the mental V (especially the "wagon" which I'd have to have gotten used anyway) and I don't think I'd have been happy in the long run with the bigger barge.

What I actually typed was... Well - you saw it.

I've handed my automobile card in at the front desk. And my English card. And my advice credentials.

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know, yeah the install on the 10th gen after watching some vids doesn't seem awful except for the part where it looks like you need to basically remove the entire front bumper to get to where the filter sits. It looks like it sits in the corner at the bottom.instead of on top like most CAI's I've seen. It sounds great, but you can only get so much of the sound quality through a youtube video. It seems like it has a very loud blow offy sound is that how it sounds in yours?

Not super familiar with the 10th gen but it sounds like the difference between a short-ram intake versus a cold-air intake. Cold-air is technically better but at the cost of increased install pains; I had to take my front bumper off too. Mine definitely has a different sound when you floor it, I think the best approximation is the sound you get when you blow into a coffee cup.

Do you have Hondata Flashpro yet for the car?

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's ordered but it's not gonna show up for another 2 weeks unfortunately lol.
I'm thinking I am just gonna stick to the +6 tune rather than go all out on the +9.
I kinda wanna get an upgraded clutch before I do the +9 but nothing too heavy since I do daily my car in fairly heavy traffic.

The +6 sounds pretty safe. Bless turbos, the only way we can get torquey Hondas.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I've read my response eight times now and I literally can't explain how I ended up typing the exact opposite of what I was suggesting. Like, legitimately questioning my sanity - and I can't remember if I was cut and pasting or if something has actually failed in my brain.

What I remember typing (or intending to type) was actually a comparison between the low power and flingability of the BRZ and the 2.0 base - and that the base was more powerful than the BRZ but the V is a completely different car and priced accordingly.

And also that the 2.0 is much easier and cheaper to live with. And can be had easily at the poster's price and mileage needs. And further I knew the V was flapped but I didn't realize the Base could be had with stick. That's counterintuitive. I briefly considered a Caddy over my A4 because with rebates I'd have been able to get the Caddy equivalent of an A6 or E class but I really only got back into caddies from rental experience and the mental V (especially the "wagon" which I'd have to have gotten used anyway) and I don't think I'd have been happy in the long run with the bigger barge.

What I actually typed was... Well - you saw it.

I've handed my automobile card in at the front desk. And my English card. And my advice credentials.
And my comment may have been confusing too. So, the (non-V) ATS coupe can be had with a 2.0T I4 and a 3.6L N/A V6, of them, only the 2.0T has manual as an option. I meant that the 2.0T was the bae engine between those two.
The ATS-V has a 3.6L TTV6, which can be had in manual or automatic. The sedan offered the engines above as well as a 2.5L N/A I4 as the base engine below the 2.0T, also automatic only.

Last edited:

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of lease numbers are you looking at

Down? Per month?

Not sure TBH, I need to do more research on what they're going for around me. I believe I saw on leasehacker that the residual value is something like 55%, so would need to do the calculations from there.

If possible, I'd be looking around $500/mo. Not sure if that's feasible.

Oct 25, 2017
If possible, I'd be looking around $500/mo. Not sure if that's feasible.
Just a few light tips from someone who used to work at a dealership
If you're leasing a car you intend to buy make sure you don't tell them you want to lease until you get your price negotiated first. So they negotiate the lease based off of the price you negotiate as the capitalization cost.
Second, if you intend to buy it make sure you understand that when unless you're paying the residual in cash at one go you're effectively financing a used car (which is silly i know) which means your interest rates are going to be highish, like 5-7%.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Just a few light tips from someone who used to work at a dealership
If you're leasing a car you intend to buy make sure you don't tell them you want to lease until you get your price negotiated first. So they negotiate the lease based off of the price you negotiate as the capitalization cost.
Second, if you intend to buy it make sure you understand that when unless you're paying the residual in cash at one go you're effectively financing a used car (which is silly i know) which means your interest rates are going to be highish, like 5-7%.

Thanks for the tips. I don't think I plan on keeping the car long term.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you guys see the X7? I was at the dealer yesterday and they said that 4 of them were sold just that day. Guess it's BMW's answer to the Escalade more or less.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did you guys see the X7? I was at the dealer yesterday and they said that 4 of them were sold just that day. Guess it's BMW's answer to the Escalade more or less.

If a market is there, gotta go for it. It's reviewing fairly well it seems. When the X5 came out it was an affront to what I thought BMW was about. Now, it's normal. As long as cars are still around and they don't pull a Ford, I'm fine with this.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If a market is there, gotta go for it. It's reviewing fairly well it seems. When the X5 came out it was an affront to what I thought BMW was about. Now, it's normal. As long as cars are still around and they don't pull a Ford, I'm fine with this.

Fortunately, BMW offers cars for all types of drivers and yet every BMW feels like a BMW at the end of the day.

The new grills on the 2020 BWMs are fucking comical.
They are so big.

I still think they look good.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Well, today marks the 1st year of owning my Audi. It's a 2013 A5. The more I drive it, the more I love it. ^_^
Just finished giving it a nice wash and ceramic boost. :)
54523855_480109039191058_779422945159151616_o.jpg