• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Are in-wheel electric motors available to consumers? Or is it still just auto manufacturers

Chibits12

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, MD
How did I miss this thread?

My dd is an Altima but the Golf R32 is the weekend car. It is nose heavy with DSG but it makes a pretty good sound:
xL8BKxe8sm5Ll4_taYGZCmtZsBG0C3ntsZtVLPlWYIKjo__PXsAa2Eek0LLK6pWnWmUSUIYaWcsYm9DIJrzFlT7uYLtfkTtHDQ9Mv0MMQq1BcrGpVUaAsjFv2AvD1OK3l6UgMQkYGjGRRiUwlbIJvxcmOcwF-EvuN4Xm6lHXMbC-wa2PygI3kXDrqCvbIodszl9979LyXAeaGJRwuMQoZhJYAKjEiGTAg8yBYY8CvL3LUeLdlIluNZpxmIFvXfRkyOG9YbLhMcDV7-kPxUWzqbGNbhX8zFjaBszyUG5jRI57lKtUNxg3ReKkTFi3X4vBYL-iGQKbXDjstp388FqUTO5ohOzgJgNaT7lzUCnlMvQO7LJU9m0vHkRN_WYsgiWua3NCeIpce2ftgpw7mjKEGMuoEhro5vk_hWUBpfM_W-tMb90TTbi0hKOvHpCbFb-oztwYjgOFsYDPNkexVGkozk5it8wypoodomPcJLam8M-et_dOn11Q3lL3QRoOLKDKog7dX950bLf7fyuh9ClXYbmJhgAm32dFDP_30tGr2SnjRIQPb6J2tAY7R780bnbBOHNPtbyKjXcapPa5idGo2dWOD9UBQHEzFeZH0DaIvOrOjMahcAz4FVlkvxhp7dAKGWxDaRgoyEqr1AWU7kr_0aE1XfHUHGk=w1227-h920-no

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is gonna be a real dumb question but the faceplate of my car receiver broke. Is there any way I could buy a faceplate of a different model (say, one that has bluetooth) and plug it into the same slot?

Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be a real dumb question but the faceplate of my car receiver broke. Is there any way I could buy a faceplate of a different model (say, one that has bluetooth) and plug it into the same slot?

Do you literally just mean the plastic trim frame around the head unit? It should just snap into place yeah if it's still the same car just a different trim level.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
So used Caymens with about 30k miles can be had for $38k. With the world of cars changing and going the way they are, I am seriously thinking of getting one. I'll put $10k down and finance the rest. I only put 8k a year on my cars.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
Another cracking day here in Bath. Off to the Haynes Motor Museum in Sparkford to see the Bentley exhibition celebrating their centenary, but first it'd be rude not to do all the wicked A and B roads there are here.

WER95z.jpg

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you literally just mean the plastic trim frame around the head unit? It should just snap into place yeah if it's still the same car just a different trim level.
Sorry forgot to mention that this is a 3rd party. I have a Pioneer DEH-6300UB. The plastic hook that secures the front plate broke, so I'm wondering if I could just replace the front with another similar Pioneer faceplate with bluetooth. But I guess the part thats in my car would be the thing with the bluetooth module right?

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Back in the 90s the entire point of the detachable face system was that it couldn't be trivially replaced since each face was keyed distinctly to a backend unit--to deter theft. I'm sort of curious if that's still the case.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I don't quite feel fancy enough to post in here, but I am taking delivery of a 2019 Mazda3 hatch tomorrow, so that's exciting. It's replacing a Fiesta ST.

Back in the 90s the entire point of the detachable face system was that it couldn't be trivially replaced since each face was keyed distinctly to a backend unit--to deter theft. I'm sort of curious if that's still the case.

Boy, you just reminded me that detachable faceplates were a thing.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The fact that it non-functionally wraps up onto the hood is just absurd.

Bring back the E46, pls.

It isn't actually non functionally. The new grills have an active air stream system where they have internal bars and flaps that dynamically open and close to assist in temperature control, direction and cooling when needed. It's one of the reasons they're bigger on the newest models.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It isn't actually non functionally. The new grills have an active air stream system where they have internal bars and flaps that dynamically open and close to assist in temperature control, direction and cooling when needed. It's one of the reasons they're bigger on the newest models.

Active aero is fun. These new Bimmers don't do anything for me, though.

Maybe I'm getting old.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I don't quite feel fancy enough to post in here, but I am taking delivery of a 2019 Mazda3 hatch tomorrow, so that's exciting. It's replacing a Fiesta ST.

The 2019 hatches are already available? I thought they were rolling out after the sedans.

Nice weather is only weeks away and my rx7 isn't even close to being put back together from all the work over winter...

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 2019 hatches are already available? I thought they were rolling out after the sedans.

Nice weather is only weeks away and my rx7 isn't even close to being put back together from all the work over winter...

The hatch configurator's not up yet, but they are on lots! Really looking forward to mine after six years of Ford ergonomics.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Grats dude. Love the look of the new Mazda's, though I do wish they'd stayed even closer to the original concept designs. Perhaps they'll do a special sport/performance model later down the line that'll be even more representative of the concept.

_sp_8569.jpg

Mazda-Vision-Coupe-Concept-08.jpg

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grats dude. Love the look of the new Mazda's, though I do wish they'd stayed even closer to the original concept designs. Perhaps they'll do a special sport/performance model later down the line that'll be even more representative of the concept.

_sp_8569.jpg

The hatch is actually surprisingly close when you look at them side by side - the fenders are a bit less extra, and the wheels are smaller, but more of the design carried over than you generally expect from the production version of a concept.

Really like what Mazda's been doing with their design language; the de-emphasis on strong character lines and focus on organic surfacing really sets them apart. I'm looking forward to their eventual Mazda6 remodel. I'm guessing we'll see more RX-Vision in there.

I'll post pictures later if I can find an appropriately aesthetic place to take them.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
I'm still away for a few days but my detailing chap has finished working on my classic Mini Flame Red Checkmate for the last couple of days and sent a few pics over to me. Machine polished to remove all swirls and protected with Drexler Ceramic. I'm well chuffed with the results and will have to get some decent pics.

VM78iFR.jpg

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still away for a few days but my detailing chap has finished working on my classic Mini Flame Red Checkmate for the last couple of days and sent a few pics over to me. Machine polished to remove all swirls and protected with Drexler Ceramic. I'm well chuffed with the results and will have to get some decent pics.

VM78iFR.jpg

Gorgeous.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

_sp_8569.jpg

Imo those are super ugly and wouldn't age well at all. Reminds me of like an intrepid or lumina. Futuristic looking at the time but actually just ugly.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god it looks incredible! That's awesome dude!

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
uh, to each his own.

I like the actual design of the new 3, it's way better than these concepts imo. And yeah of course that's just my opinion.

I don't understand Mazdas unwillingness to put that 2.5 turbo in every car it fits in as an option though. The official line of well, it fits in there, do it yourself, is laughable.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the actual design of the new 3, it's way better than these concepts imo. And yeah of course that's just my opinion.

I don't understand Mazdas unwillingness to put that 2.5 turbo in every car it fits in as an option though. The official line of well, it fits in there, do it yourself, is laughable.

I agree re: the 2.5T. It's a nice motor and it would have been cool to have the option. But oh well.

Very pleased with my hatch so far. The manual transmission is just such a sweetheart.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Went back in to test drive IS 350s again. My local dealer is a non-commission so we just went over their list prices, chatted about this and that, etc. Nice guy. In the end he tried to sell me on the detuned IS 300 as practically the same experience, but it's hard to see a hp number equivalent to my WRX but a weight so much higher. $5k for 53hp is a bit daft though I suppose. Had a long chat about how leases work, too, which was interesting. Still prefer just paying cash and owning things free and clear and not worrying about it. They were doing 0.9% financing also which is technically a good arbitrage but... ehhh...

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Went back in to test drive IS 350s again. My local dealer is a non-commission so we just went over their list prices, chatted about this and that, etc. Nice guy. In the end he tried to sell me on the detuned IS 300 as practically the same experience, but it's hard to see a hp number equivalent to my WRX but a weight so much higher. $5k for 53hp is a bit daft though I suppose. Had a long chat about how leases work, too, which was interesting. Still prefer just paying cash and owning things free and clear and not worrying about it. They were doing 0.9% financing also which is technically a good arbitrage but... ehhh...

Hell, at 0.9% you're pretty handily beating inflation.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At 0.9, I'd finance, throw the rest of the money in an index fund, and park the gains.

As someone that also has a WRX, I'd opt for the 350.

If I could redo my car purchases, I would've gotten an used S2000 AP2 and new 2016 IS350 F-sport instead of an RSX, BRZ, and WRX. Would've saved me like 20k...lolz

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
At 0.9, I'd finance, throw the rest of the money in an index fund, and park the gains.

Interestingly they were providing a $3k rebate on finance/cash and a $5k on lease. Either way I generally hate having debt, so I'm willing to pay a premium to not deal with that. Although it's like 4.5k over 36 mo with a 4% return so maybe I should reconsider...

Yeah, when I lived in Cali the S2K was a goal car, derailed by children. A good friend had a really nicely kept one, custom carbon hardtop for it. He traded it in for a Z3 because the badge impressed the, uh, "dancing ladies" more.