• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So the warranty on my Jaguar XFS is about to run out later in the year, and I'm getting solid part exchange quotes so depreciation is very respectable. Thinking it's time I start looking at options for something different in the coming months whilst the value proposition still works in my favour.

What I'm after.

Given I'll probably go electric or hybrid in future (Tesla etc), I want this next vehicle to be a bit more noisy, quick and fairly fun, so I can enjoy combustion engines for a little while longer.

Thing is, I still need something comfortable, luxurious, practical, but quick. I do a lot of long distance driving, and often do airport runs with a stacked boot, have a car full of family or guests etc, so I can't go for a coupe/2 door or something too thirsty. Fuel efficiency still sort of matters, as does boot space and rear legroom.

Here's what I've shortlisted, what do you guys think out of the options? All cars would be the newer models.

The shortlist.

1.) BMW 540i with M Performance (not M Sport) body kit and M Performance Power and Sound Kit, possibly even a remap.

Pros: Incredible interior, infotainment, technology and comfort. Crap loads of legroom and great boot space. Quick 0-60 and still a fuel efficient engine. Sounds great with the aftermarket exhaust.

Cons: Not the torqueiest engine, so doesn't necessarily feel as quick as it is, especially at common rev ranges. Still a bit big and bulky, so not the most sharp and agile to drive.

2.) BMW 530D with M Performance (not M Sport) body kit.

Pros: Incredible interior, infotainment, technology and comfort. Crap loads of legroom and great boot space. Very torquey engine, so it feels much quicker than it is, plus fuel efficiency is incredibly good.

Cons: The acceleration isn't quite as fast as some of the other cars, plus the engine is pretty quiet, dull and boring compared to the more theatrical petrol motors, and no aftermarket exhaust system is going to change that. Still a bit big and bulky, so not the most sharp and agile to drive.

3.) Mercedes C43 AMG

Pros: Fantastic sounding with the AMG performance exhaust, lots of pops, bangs and gargles and a surprisingly sweet exhaust note given the cylinder count. Very fun and direct handling and feeling. Smaller in size too so can be thrown about a bit more. Very torquey engine, solid acceleration and still somewhat fuel efficient.

Cons: I really dislike the interior and infotainment system, and think the rear of the car looks ugly. Plus I dislike that it basically looks the same as most other C class models, to where the engine note is really the main thing distinguishing it. Boot space is a bit small too.

4.) Mercedes C63 AMG

Pros: Fantastic sounding, lots of pops, bangs and gargles and an addictive exhaust note. Very fun and direct handling and feeling. Smaller in size too so can be thrown about a bit more. Very torquey engine, great acceleration.

Cons: A fair bit more expensive than the C43 for very little difference in overall acceleration (just 0.5s 0-60 improvement), plus worse fuel efficiency. I really dislike the interior and infotainment system, and think the rear of the car looks ugly. Plus I dislike that it basically looks the same as most other C class models, to where the engine note is really the main thing distinguishing it. Boot space is a bit small too.

5.) Mercedes E43 AMG

Pros: Beautiful interior, with a very luxurious overall look, far more premium inside than a C43/C63. Very torquey engine, with good acceleration. Very practical with solid legroom and boot space.

Cons: More muted than the C43 in both engine notes and sound (less loud, far fewer pops and crackles etc). Less nimble, direct and agile than the C43/63 in terms of handling too. Also a fair bit more expensive than the C43 for very little difference in overall acceleration. I dislike that it basically looks the same as most other C/E class models, to where the engine note is really the main thing distinguishing it.

The ones that didn't make it.

Also looked into other cars that just missed out on being shortlisted, eg the M2 Competition (a bit small and too impractical on passenger comfort and boot space), the M3 (a bit pricey compared to the C43, plus super thirsty engine with poor fuel efficiency) and several Audis (not as keen on their designs).

Ideally I'd have loved a 2019 BMW 340i with an M Performance carbon package, but they're not out in the UK till later in the year, which means I'd have to wait another 6 months to a year after that before depreciation brought the value down to something more reasonable and less depreciating.

So which option would you guys opt for and why?

Last edited:

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Beautiful, congrats! The wait must be killer.
Thanks! I can't sleep, this is the longest week of my life haha
So the warranty on my Jaguar XFS is soon about to run out, and I'm getting solid part exchange quotes so my depreciation loss is very respectable. Thinking it's time I start looking at options for something different in the coming months whilst the value proposition still works in my favour.

Given I'll probably go electric or hybrid in future (Tesla etc), I want this next vehicle to be a bit more noisy and fairly fun, so I can enjoy combustion engines for a little while longer.

Thing is, I still need something comfortable, luxurious, practical, but quick. I do a lot of long distance driving, and often do airport runs with a stacked boot, have a car full of family it guests etc, so I can't go coupe or something too thirsty, fuel efficiency still sort of matters, as does boot space and rear legroom.

Here's what I've shortlisted, what do you guys think out of the options? All cars would be the newer models.

1.) BMW 540i with M Performance (not M Sport) body kit and Armytrix exhaust system.

Pros: Incredible interior, infotainment, technology and comfort. Crap loads of legroom and great boot space. Quick 0-60 and still a fuel efficient engine. Sounds great with the aftermarket exhaust.

Cons: Not the torqueiest engine, so doesn't necessarily feel as quick as it is, especially at common rev ranges. Still a bit big and bulky, so not the most sharp and agile to drive.

2.) BMW 530D with M Performance (not M Sport) body kit.

Pros: Incredible interior, infotainment, technology and comfort. Crap loads of legroom and great boot space. Very torquey engine, so it feels much quicker than it is, plus fuel efficiency is incredibly good.

Cons: The acceleration isn't quite as fast as some of the other cars, plus the engine is pretty quiet and boring compared to more theatrical petrol motors, and no aftermarket exhaust system is going to do much to change that. Still a bit big and bulky, so not the most sharp and agile to drive.

3.) Mercedes C43 AMG

Pros: Fantastic sounding with the AMG performance exhaust, lots of pops, bangs and gargles and a surprisingly sweet exhaust note given the cylinder count. Very fun and direct handling and feeling. Smaller in size too so can be thrown about a bit more. Very torquey engine, decent acceleration and still somewhat fuel efficient.

Cons: I really dislike the interior and infotainment system, and think the rear of the car looks ugly. Plus I dislike that it basically looks the same as most other C class models, to where the engine note is really the main thing distinguishing it. Boot space is a bit small too.

4.) Mercedes C63 AMG

Pros: Fantastic sounding with the AMG performance exhaust, lots of pops, bangs and gargles and an addictive exhaust note. Very fun and direct handling and feeling. Smaller in size too so can be thrown about a bit more. Very torquey engine, decent acceleration.

Cons: A fair bit more expensive than the C43 for very little difference in overall acceleration (just 0.5s 0-60 improvement), plus worse fuel efficiency. I really dislike the interior and infotainment system, and think the rear of the car looks ugly. Plus I dislike that it basically looks the same as most other C class models, to where the engine note is really the main thing distinguishing it. Boot space is a bit small too.

5.) Mercedes E43 AMG

Pros: Beautiful interior, with a very luxurious overall look and feel, far more premium inside than a C43/C63. Very torquey engine, with decent acceleration. Very practical with solid legroom and boot space.

Cons: More muted than the C43 in both engine notes and sound (less loud, far fewer pops and crackles etc). Less nimble, direct and agile than the C43/63 in terms of handling too. Also a fair bit more expensive than the C43 for very little difference in overall acceleration. I dislike that it basically looks the same as most other C/E class models, to where the engine note is really the main thing distinguishing it.

Also looked into other cars that just missed out on being shortlisted, eg the M2 Competition (a bit small and too impractical on passenger comfort and boot space), the M3 (a bit pricey compared to the C43, plus super thirsty engine with poor fuel efficiency) and several Audis (not as keen on their designs).

Ideally I'd have loved a 2019 BMW 340i with an M Performance carbon package, but they're not out in the UK till later in the year, which means I'd have to wait another 6 months to a year after that before depreciation brought the value down to something more reasonable and less depreciating.

So which option would you guys opt for and why?

I would go for the 540i. The B58 is the best engine on that list, amazing fuel economy, smooth and extremely tunable if you're comfortable with that thing. The new E class was very unreliable, had rear suspension issues and the interior build quality is awful. It looks great, but it feels very hollow. Plastic creaks and rattles, same with the C class.The Burmester speaker on the door panel would rattle every time I closed the door. I'm speaking from personal experience, I'd go for the 540i.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swplZPJT2A0

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks! I can't sleep, this is the longest week of my life haha

I would go for the 540i. The B58 is the best engine on that list, amazing fuel economy, smooth and extremely tunable if you're comfortable with that thing. The new E class was very unreliable, had rear suspension issues and the interior build quality is awful. It looks great, but it feels very hollow. Plastic creaks and rattles, same with the C class.The Burmester speaker on the door panel would rattle every time I closed the door. I'm speaking from personal experience, I'd go for the 540i.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swplZPJT2A0

Thanks for the response and input! What sort of tune could I get out of the 540i before I started seeing markedly reduced fuel efficiency or needing expensive aftermarket parts? A few friends have sort of put me off the idea of remapping due to the added pressure it can put on certain parts, so now I'm a bit apprehensive. Do you have any experience with it?

Last edited:

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Thanks for the response and input! What sort of tune could I get out of the 540i before I started seeing markedly reduced fuel efficiency or needing more aftermarket parts? A few friends have sort of put me off the idea of remapping due to the added pressure it can put on certain parts, so now I'm a bit apprehensive. Do you have any experience with it?
I had an M235i (sold it 6 months ago) which I kept tuned for 3 years and I had no issues. All I had was a catless downpipe (you can get a high flow cat version to pass emissions) and a remap and it made 410hp. My M235i had the N55 engine which was replaced by the B58. The B58 is even stronger of an engine and more fuel efficient, with a remap and downpipe replacement you're easily in the 440hp range with no reliability issues. I've got friends with 440i's, 340i's that have been running remaps since they bought the cars around 2 years ago and the cars have been running beautifully. You're not putting and added dangerous pressure on the engine, with a high flow cat you're basically freeing up all the performance that the B58 engine has. My best friend has a tuned stage 2 440i that constantly gets 40mpg, the car is quicker than a stock M4, that engine is crazy, has lots of untapped potential and has been proven to be very reliable.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had an M235i (sold it 6 months ago) which I kept tuned for 3 years and I had no issues. All I had was a catless downpipe (you can get a high flow cat version to pass emissions) and a remap and it made 410hp. My M235i had the N55 engine which was replaced by the B58. The B58 is even stronger of an engine and more fuel efficient, with a remap and downpipe replacement you're easily in the 440hp range with no reliability issues. I've got friends with 440i's, 340i's that have been running remaps since they bought the cars around 2 years ago and the cars have been running beautifully. You're not putting and added dangerous pressure on the engine, with a high flow cat you're basically freeing up all the performance that the B58 engine has. My best friend has a tuned stage 2 440i that constantly gets 40mpg, the car is quicker than a stock M4, that engine is crazy, has lots of untapped potential and has been proven to be very reliable.

Sounds good. Just did some Googling and I might get the M Performance Power and Sound Kit (MPPSK) direct from my local garage (improved bhp, torque and sound), and then do a remap after if I still fancy more power. It's not that much more than the Armytrix exhaust, and is official BMW so at least I keep my warranty intact if I do decide I don't need the remap.

Any company or brand for the catless downpipe, remap and/or stage 1 tune you'd recommend if I do go that route?

Last edited:

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Sounds awesome. Just did some Googling and I might get the M Performance Power and Sound Kit (MPPSK) direct from my local garage (improved bhp, torque and sound), and then do a remap after if I still fancy more power. It's not that much more than the Armytrix exhaust, and is official BMW so at least I keep my warranty intact if I do decide I don't need the remap.

Any company or brand for the catless downpipe, remap and/or stage 1 tune you'd recommend?
Stage 1 is considered just remap, stage 2 is remap + downpipe so if you're getting the downpipe upgraded then you'll do a stage 2 remap. I had armytrix on my BMW and I can vouch for them as for the remap HCPerformance is the best B58 tuner. He does all the tunes for PureTurbos if you've heard of them. Any professional shops should know HCP or Bootmod3.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imo intakes and downpipes aren't typically any better than stock. It's just so the tuner can hit you for an extra $1-2k before they do the stage 2 for you. Lots of aftermarket intakes are actually worse than the stock set up because they are just an air dam in the engine compartment just like the stock set up but it wasn't designed as well for your car, or stock actually had sort of a snorkel where aftermarket usually doesn't. It just makes shit louder. And then a bigger downpipe isn't necessary a good thing if you look at actual Dyno results. Most car companies aren't putting such a small exhaust on there that a bigger one really does anything.

A good custom tune on a stock set up would do more than a canned tune with an intake and exhaust. If you just want to make noise sure put an intake and exhaust on there.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After doing some more reading of reviews, comparisons etc, I'm still very much undecided. I remember preferring the XFS's handling dynamics to the 5 series during my last bout of testing, and feel that could be a point of contention again, including versus the C43/63 or E43. Think I might just have to test drive them all.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a manual M240i and I cannot find A-N-Y.

There's a total of 1 it seems on the west coast. Insane. I suppose you can always order the car from the factory, but you have less negotiation flex when you do that, right?

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I know at least in regards to the N55, bang for your buck mods seem to be:

Tune
Downpipe
FMIC
Charge pipe (preventative as they are made of plastic and are known to blow under increased boost)

Intake/exhaust will give minimal gains. Not sure about the B58.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's a total of 1 it seems on the west coast. Insane. I suppose you can always order the car from the factory, but you have less negotiation flex when you do that, right?
Yeah, the dealer has little reason to offer a discount other than the manufacturer incentives if you're placing a custom order.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can still negotiate with ordering - have done it myself multiple times. In fact, BMW really pushes for people to order their cars.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
So Nissan at NYIAS is having their 50th anniversary with the GT-R R35 and Z34
nissan-gt-r-50th-anniversary-edition-1.jpg

2020-nissan-370z-50th-anniversary-live-photos.jpg

Like I understand why their doing it, but god damn these are such old chassis at this point. We really need a new successor. I guess it won't happen until the Ghosen scandal comes to a close. At the progress Nissan is going, I'd rather just take an old S chassis or one of their 90s car.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Nissan really needs to do something for those two models. The 370Z refresh of the 350 is nice, but is getting really long in the tooth. I can understand why they are taking their time with the GT-R though because they need to nail that one perfectly.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Nissan at NYIAS is having their 50th anniversary with the GT-R R35 and Z34
nissan-gt-r-50th-anniversary-edition-1.jpg

2020-nissan-370z-50th-anniversary-live-photos.jpg

Like I understand why their doing it, but god damn these are such old chassis at this point. We really need a new successor. I guess it won't happen until the Ghosen scandal comes to a close. At the progress Nissan is going, I'd rather just take an old S chassis or one of their 90s car.

New Altima is pretty slick. They'll be fine.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I had a 370Z from 2009-2012. Seems like a lifetime ago.

How bad is the wheel gap on Mustangs? Are lowering springs a must?

Last edited:

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Found a 2018 M240i in manual! Currently negotiating a lease with the dealer. I'm getting nervous and having second thoughts, but I just keep telling myself that this is probably going to be the last few years before the manuals are gone, and maybe even the small RWD straight 6 BMW coupes.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Got my mx-5 this morning and spent the last 3 hours driving it around. Pretty pleased, not used to how responsive it is and hurt myself getting out of it the first time lol. I feel like a million bucks driving this thing around.

Even though this car has been out for what, 3 years now? People still stare at it like its something exotic. Lots of looks at redlights and stop signs.

20190418_104715.jpg

20190418_104826.jpg

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Got my mx-5 this morning and spent the last 3 hours driving it around. Pretty pleased, not used to how responsive it is and hurt myself getting out of it the first time lol. I feel like a million bucks driving this thing around.

Even though this car has been out for what, 3 years now? People still stare at it like its something exotic. Lots of looks at redlights and stop signs.

20190418_104715.jpg

20190418_104826.jpg

Beautiful! Love that color too, it's such a gorgeous car. I love my NB and can only imagine how much nicer a more updated and newer car must feel. Congrats!

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Found a 2018 M240i in manual! Currently negotiating a lease with the dealer. I'm getting nervous and having second thoughts, but I just keep telling myself that this is probably going to be the last few years before the manuals are gone, and maybe even the small RWD straight 6 BMW coupes.
Congrats! My wife and I got a pearl white CPO 2017 F22 last fall, we love it. This week we got the M Performance front splitter installed along with a set of black grilles, looks even more sporty now lol. Granted it's an auto because it's primarily my wife's daily commuter. It's a very nice and smooth transmission but I'll admit it's not as engaging to drive compared to a manual. It's still fun to drive tho.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
the evo is acting up :(

going full throttle i'll build boost and feel it pulling till higher in the rev range where the power just falls off. i think i caught some darker smoke the first time i felt this. the boost guage shows roughly standard numbers, though the AFR may be a tad richer than it was. otherwise the car drives fine and there has been no CEL. quick googleing sounds like a variety of possible causes from vacuum lines coming off, to fouled plugs, fuel relays, or even bad fuel, up to blown head gaskets.

nearest shop is at least 1.5 hrs away, i suppose it'll be fine to drive so long as i keep it out of boost.

Oct 27, 2018
The finance deal is up on my wife's Fiesta and she's decided she wants a big car; an SUV. I'm worried big car = more babies, but we'll see!

Anyway, it has to be Ford because my Uncle gets us a very good discount (privilege voucher) so she wants either a Kuga or a Focus Active.

However, I've read conflicting reviews that the Focus Active is not really any bigger inside, or any higher, than the non-Active version of the Focus. We're going to go look at them, but can anyone here shed some light on the matter?

For the record, I'm in the UK so I'm talking about the Focus Active (thhe 5 door, not the estate) and the Kuga (preferably the Titanium edition).

However if there really is no benefit to the Active, I'd may as well also consider the regular Focus too, right? I think I liike the ST-Line model best there, but I'm not sure my wife would choose that over the other two, sadly.

Already had one offer from using carwow (anyone from the UK used that website? Seems great. You spec out the car(s) you want and dealerships vie for your business.) which was this:

skDWJIC.png

It's not to my specs (presumably one they have ready cos they said I could drive it away this month) as I wouldn't normally go for silver, or particularly care for parking sensors (I'd rather have the wireless charging pad!) but a Focus Active for £192 a month seems like a good deal to me.

Waiting for a few more offers to come in then I'm gonna go to the local Ford dealer, armed with all these offers, and see what the guy who sold me the Fiesta can do to beat them. :)

Would appreciate any thoughts on my Kuga vs Focus Active quandary in the meantime though, folks.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The finance deal is up on my wife's Fiesta and she's decided she wants a big car; an SUV. I'm worried big car = more babies, but we'll see!

Anyway, it has to be Ford because my Uncle gets us a very good discount (privilege voucher) so she wants either a Kuga or a Focus Active.

However, I've read conflicting reviews that the Focus Active is not really any bigger inside, or any higher, than the non-Active version of the Focus. We're going to go look at them, but can anyone here shed some light on the matter?

For the record, I'm in the UK so I'm talking about the Focus Active (thhe 5 door, not the estate) and the Kuga (preferably the Titanium edition).

However if there really is no benefit to the Active, I'd may as well also consider the regular Focus too, right? I think I liike the ST-Line model best there, but I'm not sure my wife would choose that over the other two, sadly.

Already had one offer from using carwow (anyone from the UK used that website? Seems great. You spec out the car(s) you want and dealerships vie for your business.) which was this:

skDWJIC.png

It's not to my specs (presumably one they have ready cos they said I could drive it away this month) as I wouldn't normally go for silver, or particularly care for parking sensors (I'd rather have the wireless charging pad!) but a Focus Active for £192 a month seems like a good deal to me.

Waiting for a few more offers to come in then I'm gonna go to the local Ford dealer, armed with all these offers, and see what the guy who sold me the Fiesta can do to beat them. :)

Would appreciate any thoughts on my Kuga vs Focus Active quandary in the meantime though, folks.

Man Europe and the US really have vastly different standards on what a big car is. My gf has a focus and it's cramped af in there.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

going full throttle i'll build boost and feel it pulling till higher in the rev range where the power just falls off. i think i caught some darker smoke the first time i felt this. the boost guage shows roughly standard numbers, though the AFR may be a tad richer than it was. otherwise the car drives fine and there has been no CEL. quick googleing sounds like a variety of possible causes from vacuum lines coming off, to fouled plugs, fuel relays, or even bad fuel, up to blown head gaskets.

nearest shop is at least 1.5 hrs away, i suppose it'll be fine to drive so long as i keep it out of boost.
Anyone

Anyone able to chime in or give me advice? I'm in a rural community, could my local mechanic properly troubleshoot or address possibly turbo related issues on a tuned car? Am I over thinking this?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone

Anyone able to chime in or give me advice? I'm in a rural community, could my local mechanic properly troubleshoot or address possibly turbo related issues on a tuned car? Am I over thinking this?

Is this a DI engine or no? Sounds like carbon build up maybe in your injectors. Pay someone like $400 for the job or take that shit apart yourself and spray a fuck ton of seafoam all over the injectors and clean off the gunk.

If it's not DI you can spray seafoam right into the TB. They make a seafoam bottle with a long hose. Take apart your intake right where the TB is, put it back on, spray a whole can in there while revving at like 2000rpm. 2 person job.

Irate

Oct 25, 2017
Direct injection. I don't think Evos are, but im not an owner so i couldn't say for sure.

If i were troubleshooting I'd check the plugs and gaps, boost leak test, compression check. All pretty easy to do with minimal tools except an air compressor for the boost leak.

Also how do you know the power is falling off? Do you have a vdyno plot from before and after? Butt dyno can be wrong sometimes.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a DI engine or no? Sounds like carbon build up maybe in your injectors. Pay someone like $400 for the job or take that shit apart yourself and spray a fuck ton of seafoam all over the injectors and clean off the gunk.

If it's not DI you can spray seafoam right into the TB. They make a seafoam bottle with a long hose. Take apart your intake right where the TB is, put it back on, spray a whole can in there while revving at like 2000rpm. 2 person job.

its port injected (?). thanks, i'll do some research about this and maybe give it a shot.

Direct injection. I don't think Evos are, but im not an owner so i couldn't say for sure.

If i were troubleshooting I'd check the plugs and gaps, boost leak test, compression check. All pretty easy to do with minimal tools except an air compressor for the boost leak.

Also how do you know the power is falling off? Do you have a vdyno plot from before and after? Butt dyno can be wrong sometimes.

sounds like my local mechanic could investigate those things. i dont have the confidence in doing this stuff any more, especially as it relates to potentially bigger damage. i'm the reason your mechanic has that sign in his/her office that says "labor is $80 an hour. unless you work on your own car, then its $120/hr".

all butt dyno. its pretty apparent. my car would hit a noticeable boost at about 3500 which would then get a second surge higher (5k?). that second surge is entirely absent despite all indicators it should be there (psi climb into mid 20s). i first noticed it middle of last week but did a few WOT pulls a few days ago and its the same. trying not to over do it.

thanks again guys, i appreciate it

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

skDWJIC.png

The focus and focus active are basically the same car, just the active is the crossover version. Its the same like with the Subaru impreza hatchback and the crosstrek, same car but one is a crossover version with higher suspension, bigger wheels, ect. Body dimensions are all the same.

Oct 27, 2018
The focus and focus active are basically the same car, just the active is the crossover version. Its the same like with the Subaru impreza hatchback and the crosstrek, same car but one is a crossover version with higher suspension, bigger wheels, ect. Body dimensions are all the same.
So is it actually a little bit higher than the standard Focus? Thanks btw.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks clean! I'm picking up my new set of wheels from the refinisher this afternoon, nearly have my car all back together.

Oct 27, 2018
According to google, the active's suspension is only 30mm higher than the regular focus. So unless you drive on rough dirt roads or something, you'll never notice or even need it.
Good info.

Had a look at more pics of the Focus Active and the more I see it, the less I like it. Plus it doesn't come in black. I reckon the Kuga might be the right choice.

Had two more quotes from carwow, both from the same dealership:

Quote 1 - Ford Kuga Titanium Edition 1.5T Ecoboost 150ps 5dr Manual 2WD in Shadow Black and with optional Family Pack (in hindsight the £150 family pack is completely unnecessary so I'll take that out) 38 x Monthly Payments of - £222.97

Quote 2 - Ford Focus Active 1.5T Ecoboost 150ps 5dr Manual in Magnetic with optional Wireless Charging Pad - 38 x Monthly Payments of - £207.21

Considering our budget is £220-230 (which I didn't tell the dealership) that Kuga could be the one.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
If all goes well, I have decided to get rid of my WRX, and this will be my next car.

497a5e5311a152e63d3767735f516988x.jpg

The shit part is I have to wait till December at least. (leased WRX)

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How is it? Does it make that infotainment unit tolerable? Because after 1 week with my mx-5, i want to hunt down whoever designed this infotainment unit and punch them in the face

Having only used it once or twice so far my impression is mixed. W/ Android Auto you will have no touchscreen functionality whether moving or stopped. The dial or voice has to be used for everything. It also completely replaces the interface when attached, so there is no way to access Mazda connect at all when AA is up (mostly a good thing). The plus is that the nav music and home buttons function in AA instead. The voice control is decent, so you have to get a little shouty for it to register because the car isn't exactly quiet. It also runs much snappier than Mazda connect from my gut feeling. The module that is needed includes a much faster USB charger so that's nice too. It's a better experience in many ways, so I generally feel it was worth it, but that no touchscreen.... ick.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Some idiot (read: me) didn't realize while de-badging his IS 350 that the side F Sport badges have pegs on the back into holes on the bodywork. $73 to replace one of those little semi-metal badges. Pro tip: they bend easy.

Rear is cleaned up nicely now though.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else like the new Jeep Gladiator? I have a 2019 Ram Rebel and a Sports car, but I kinda just want one for fun. A convertible truck would be awesome.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer a regular cab version with a 6' bed length, but yeah I like the Gladiator.
They did a concept:
j628japntb6gtle5ldc20li11oscg_0.jpg

Yea the J6, I saw this and I would want this one. I don't know why they didn't offer this too. The other concept had the Hellcat engine in it.

I wish they offered their 392 Hemi in one of these or even a Wrangler as an option.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Yea the J6, I saw this and I would want this one. I don't know why they didn't offer this too. The other concept had the Hellcat engine in it.

I wish they offered their 392 Hemi in one of these or even a Wrangler as an option.
I assume they did market research and determined that there just wouldn't be enough demand for a 2-seater pickup. Standard cab pickups are almost dead in the US at this point.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Some idiot (read: me) didn't realize while de-badging his IS 350 that the side F Sport badges have pegs on the back into holes on the bodywork. $73 to replace one of those little semi-metal badges. Pro tip: they bend easy.

Rear is cleaned up nicely now though.
Damn lol. I never would have realized that either

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I assume they did market research and determined that there just wouldn't be enough demand for a 2-seater pickup. Standard cab pickups are almost dead in the US at this point.

Yep, they have been for a while. Back when I was working at a dodge, chrysler, jeep dealership, I'd say at most 10% of the trucks on the lot were standard cabs. And they were all base model work truck configurations.