• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
anybody have guesses on what this could be? It was in the GM capital so i'm going to say a Chevy of some sort, possibly a Camero? My buddy thinks it's some sort of Buick Lacrosse or something similar due to the spoked rims.

traffic was slowed down so i tried to snap the best one i could. everything was pretty much wrapped
3-FCFE2-BA-2-AF1-4-E7-D-BE28-91-D12-F77-AF60.jpg

edit: more pics added
5910924-F-BD58-46-F6-847-B-0-D201-D7952-A4.jpg
A6-E3-FD92-CB8-B-404-F-8-F27-23-DAC33-E6-A89.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
anybody have guesses on what this could be?
That's no buick or camaro. Those wheels look aftermarket. The exhaust tips might be the only clue lol but I really can't be too sure since either the lighting is off or the car is debadged ant the taillights might even be aftermarket smoked out as well.

It might be a 2019 acura TLX with the chrome blacked out, but I doubt it actually, the exhaust tips are the other way.

2019-acura-tlx-interior-high-resolution-picture.jpg

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anybody have guesses on what this could be? It was in the GM capital so i'm going to say a Chevy of some sort, possibly a Camero? My buddy thinks it's some sort of Buick Lacrosse or something similar due to the spoked rims.

traffic was slowed down so i tried to snap the best one i could. everything was pretty much wrapped

LzVNnjI.jpg

This is the 2021 Malibu "refresh" - the fact that the thicker chrome near the b-pillar is obscured makes me think that's a tell but I dunno. In fact the black spaceframe behind the passenger glass is too different. So I'm ruling out Malibu for now. Those pipes guarantee it's not an Audi tho.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks all, unfortunately I spoke too soon about everything working properly, brake caliper bolts snapped on a test drive and the caliper gouged itself against the newly refinished wheel - at least I have a spare caliper ready to go but I'm not looking forward to having to send off the wheel again to get re-refinished. Total bummer but it should be fixed up in a week or two.
IMG-20190603-204054.jpg

Last edited:

Senger

Oct 27, 2017

3-FCFE2-BA-2-AF1-4-E7-D-BE28-91-D12-F77-AF60.jpg

A6-E3-FD92-CB8-B-404-F-8-F27-23-DAC33-E6-A89.jpg

The wheels give it away. It's a 2020 Genesis G90.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
That's no buick or camaro. Those wheels look aftermarket. The exhaust tips might be the only clue lol but I really can't be too sure since either the lighting is off or the car is debadged ant the taillights might even be aftermarket smoked out as well.

It might be a 2019 acura TLX with the chrome blacked out, but I doubt it actually, the exhaust tips are the other way.

2019-acura-tlx-interior-high-resolution-picture.jpg

of all of the test cars i've seen around detroit, a high majority of them have smoked out brake lights. they tend to only leave exposed the roof and exhaust pipes. this one was actually kind of disguised naked

The wheels give it away. It's a 2020 Genesis G90.

we got a winner
20181127-genesis-g90-facelift.jpg

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I'm trading in my RX8 for a Miata. It will be my daily and only car. Love the backseats on the former, but the miata gets exactly double the mpg of the thing and it's brand shiny new with 7 miles on it and comes with a warranty.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trading in my RX8 for a Miata. It will be my daily and only car. Love the backseats on the former, but the miata gets exactly double the mpg of the thing and it's brand shiny new with 7 miles on it and comes with a warranty.

Let me know how much insurance will cost you. For my 124 Abarth, no one knows what it is, and my insurance is $88 per month 😂

My WRX was 180.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
So I just purchased my first new car, a 2019 Civic Hatchback EX, and have to say I feel like I finally joined the 21st century. I am coming from a 2009 370Z which I loved but the car definitely was lacking in the interior design. Finally having an infotainment center, backup cam, blind spot camera, etc is an entirely new world for me.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Debating between an used BMW 2016 M235i and an used 2017 M240i. Both are roughly the same price but the M235i is in manual. Does anyone have an opinion either way? I feel like I should take the automatic as it's a year newer but I love driving manual.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Let me know how much insurance will cost you. For my 124 Abarth, no one knows what it is, and my insurance is $88 per month 😂

My WRX was 180.
Lucky! Would be nice if mine even slightly approaches that.

The deal I'm probably gonna close on is for a base auto. There's a GT manual on the lot, but it's $4k more and my trade in was given an extra $1500 boost for the base model quote. I don't track or do autocross and I live in a busy area with lots of stop and go, so a LSD and sporty suspension aren't huge priorities. I'm dreading the judgmental head shakes when other enthusiasts see the PRND. Oh well

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Lucky! Would be nice if mine even slightly approaches that.

The deal I'm probably gonna close on is for a base auto. There's a GT manual on the lot, but it's $4k more and my trade in was given an extra $1500 boost for the base model quote. I don't track or do autocross and I live in a busy area with lots of stop and go, so a LSD and sporty suspension aren't huge priorities. I'm dreading the judgmental head shakes when other enthusiasts see the PRND. Oh well

Congrats I hope it works out! So much fun

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Dealers who back out of a deal are really terrible, wasted so much time negotiating back and forth. Finally got a good deal. Father was ready to sign. Dealer was ready.
*10 mins later*
Oh we cant do this deal, this could get us in trouble.

wtf?

Not gonna lie, the bs involved sometimes makes me so sick that I just dont feel like finding another car elsewhere and going through the whole process again.

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
dealers are suppose to waste your time so that you give in. find a broker that does the work for you. you don't even pay the broker, the dealer does as a pseudo independent sales agent.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My negotiations took all of 15 minutes when I bought my Mazda3, told them my offer he went back with a shitty offer I told him go back and talk to your boss. Came back with another shitty offer and I told them "You got my number, don't waste my time, call me if you want to make a deal." Came running after me and said they would accept my offer if I used Mazda financing, which I refused, they caved and I was out the door with a new car.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
My negotiations took all of 15 minutes when I bought my Mazda3, told them my offer he went back with a shitty offer I told him go back and talk to your boss. Came back with another shitty offer and I told them "You got my number, don't waste my time, call me if you want to make a deal." Came running after me and said they would accept my offer if I used Mazda financing, which I refused, they caved and I was out the door with a new car.

nice job... specs?

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

2019 Mazda 3 polymetal grey with red interior and manual transmission, car was still on the truck when I came into the dealership, just happened to be there when they delivered it. They also knew I had leverage being that the car is manual and nobody buys manual anymore.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
2019 Mazda 3 polymetal grey with red interior and manual transmission, car was still on the truck when I came into the dealership, just happened to be there when they delivered it. They also knew I had leverage being that the car is manual and nobody buys manual anymore.

yaye great get... my wife has a 2017 GT hatch... may upgrade her to new 3 hatch when her lease is up

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
Pal of mine allowed use of his garage and excellent DA polisher so I could do a two stage paint correction on my wife's Challenger. Took about 15 hours over two days, with a good portion of that being masking. End result is fantastic though.

IMG_20190609_105706.jpg

MVIMG_20190609_105815.jpg

Removed all the scuffs and scratches, and I was able to get out almost all the water spots, but there's a bit of etching left on the fender you can see with LEDs. Invisible in regular daylight, though. She's happy with it.

Furious Fuchsia SRT8 Manual, one of 100.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
dealers are suppose to waste your time so that you give in. find a broker that does the work for you. you don't even pay the broker, the dealer does as a pseudo independent sales agent.
Thats not a bad idea, I had no idea this was a thing. Right now Im just kinda sick of the whole process, so might revisit it later lol.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Any stances on extended warranties? Thinking of getting Continental Ultra for 3k. I had Fidelity quotes starting at $4500 for a $500 deductible so Fidelity doesn't really make sense.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wash and waxed my car today using Meguiar's Wash Plus and Turtle Wax Seal n Shine. Wash Plus has abrasives and fillers in it so it does light polishing while you wash but my goodness this Turtle Wax is the best spray wax you can buy for $6.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
yeah some of the store products are really good. I buy my stuff from a detail store and even some of the professional stuff they got isn't worth it over the stuff from Walmart.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, AutoERA. My car was recently totaled in an accident, and I'm going to have to rush acquiring a new car by the end of the weekend. I plan on getting a used Asian sedan in the $5-10k range, hopefully with <70k miles. I just wanted to know if there are specific questions I should be asking at the dealership, or obvious red flags that should cause me to steer clear. And are there any dud years in the 2010-2015 range for Toyota/Honda/Hyundai/etc?

Let me know if I should be asking this in a different thread instead. Thanks for any help.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Hi, AutoERA. My car was recently totaled in an accident, and I'm going to have to rush acquiring a new car by the end of the weekend. I plan on getting a used Asian sedan in the $5-10k range, hopefully with <70k miles. I just wanted to know if there are specific questions I should be asking at the dealership, or obvious red flags that should cause me to steer clear. And are there any dud years in the 2010-2015 range for Toyota/Honda/Hyundai/etc?

Let me know if I should be asking this in a different thread instead. Thanks for any help.

The upper end of your budget can get you something almost new. I'd go to a toyota dealership and see what they have for certified pre-owned. You can get a newish corolla or maybe camry for that amount. I don't know where you live, but where I live dealerships that only sell used cars are usually shitty and sell cars with problems, and I would avoid them.

I personally wouldn't buy a hyundai/kia because from my experience the years you can afford I don't think they're as reliable as a toyota would be. Don't have any experience with current year models though.

The current honda civics with the 1.5L are having issues/recalls so I wouldn't get one.

I would avoid any Nissan that has a cvt transmission. They're fine if its a manual or a traditional automatic. Chances are if you want a sedan it will have a cvt, as they only manual cars are the versa and sentra, and the automatics are the larger trucks/suv's and the infiniti sedans.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

IIRC in that age range I would stay away from the 2.0T Hyundai Sonata. They were recalled for engine failures. The Camry and Accord have some smaller scale recalls (power steering, shoddy battery terminals leading to fires, etc). The Corollas and Civics in those years are fairly robust if unremarkable for the time. The Elantra was decent enough the few times I've been in it.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would be more comfortable with certified pre-owned through a manufacturer dealership than one of those random used car lots. Generally longer warranties, inspections (whatever they are worth), less willing to resell crap. Might just be my personal experiences with the two.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the replies. So certified pre-owned actually means something?

As someone who used to work at a manufacturer dealership, yes they do mean something. To be a certified pre-owned, it has to meet many criteria specified through the manufacturer, which is why those cars will also sometimes have a real warranty. Of course that means you also pay a premium, because you're guaranteed that service has been done and everything checks out. On a normal used car on the lot, even at a proper dealership, sometimes things like brakes don't get done if its determined not worth doing and they have enough life left where they will last until next year or something. Same with other services that might not be due, but will need to be done soon. Those things get done on a certified used car.

One reason I don't trust many of those used car only lots, is because not only have I interacted with people who work there and realized they know nothing. But when a proper dealership gets trade-ins, if they're not worth fixing to put on the lot they end up going to auction. Those cars are then purchased by those used car dealers because they can get away with not fixing issues and therefore making a profit. You wouldn't believe the number of times I recognize cars that we rejected and sent to auction, which later come in for service months later where the new owner is angry that it needs so much work done because they got shafted at a shady dealer.

I would honestly trust a car off craigslist more than I would from a used car dealer.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still too new but whats the word on tires? Is Michelin still the gold standard?

Anybody ever use Plasti-Dip for emblems?

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Still too new but whats the word on tires? Is Michelin still the gold standard?
Like for daily driving? Or like on the track?

I have a set of Michelin 4S summer tires and they are probably the best tires I have ever had. I dont track my car tho, so if your asking about track tires, idk. Tirerack has some amazing stats tho

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
look up the vids on Turtle Wax Seal n Shine. it's only $6 shipped from Amazon and is demolishing waxes costing 2-3 times as much.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I joined the Civic Type R club, traded my 2018 Focus RS in for one at MSRP with no markup. No pics because it's black and splattered with bug guts since it's firefly plus June bug month here in Maryland. The Civic feels lighter, which it is, and it handles great. Slower from a start than my Focus but very very fast once it gets moving. The RS was awesome but it was a pretty hardcore car- loud, terrible mileage (I was at 18 mpg in 5k miles of ownership), tight seats. Unfortunately the interior of the Type R is not really good and the shifter + clutch is weird. It's really short with a high engagement point. Rev-matching downshift is great but I disabled it immediately because I reflexively rev match. I'm kinda conflicted on this car. On the one hand it's comfortable and fast but it's quiet and FWD + torque steer is annoying. The RS has some torque steer plus a weird AWD intervention that I hated... I wish Subaru wasn't on a 20 year old engine because I think their AWD is the best in the segment.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well just picked up my M235i. Definitely feels 'rougher' than my WRX. I was so concerned I took it to a BMW dealership yesterday to make sure nothing was abnormal and manager said it was fine. I guess the lesson is Pennsylvania roads are garbage.

It's definitely taking some getting used to.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Like the suspension feels rougher than a WRX? I thought such things didn't exist.

Meanwhile, who wants to buy my '14 WRX 5-speed. Come on people. So many tires that will come with it.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Like the suspension feels rougher than a WRX? I thought such things didn't exist.

Meanwhile, who wants to buy my '14 WRX 5-speed. Come on people. So many tires that will come with it.
It's weird as initially I thought it felt way smoother than my WRX. However driving it on Friday, it was vibrating all over the place and my gas foot was numb from the vibrations. I thought something might be wrong so I took it to the dealership shop yet manager gave it the clear.

So I guess I have to chalk it up to the suspension being stiffer than the WRX and I'm just feeling the shitty roads more.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
So I guess I have to chalk it up to the suspension being stiffer than the WRX and I'm just feeling the shitty roads more.
Jeez, that sounds rough. My '14 WRX suspension was what made me finally trade up to the I350, just tired of Maine roads (and uncovered parking lots, I'm on a wharf) telegraphing every pothole into my body. Which is a shame as it's so much fun to drive, and 1e5 times less bourgeois.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Jeez, that sounds rough. My '14 WRX suspension was what made me finally trade up to the I350, just tired of Maine roads (and uncovered parking lots, I'm on a wharf) telegraphing every pothole into my body. Which is a shame as it's so much fun to drive, and 1e5 times less bourgeois.
Yea, the 'Comfort' mode isn't exactly comfortable. lol

I really didn't have any complaints about the suspension on the WRX so this is new territory for me.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird as initially I thought it felt way smoother than my WRX. However driving it on Friday, it was vibrating all over the place and my gas foot was numb from the vibrations. I thought something might be wrong so I took it to the dealership shop yet manager gave it the clear.

that doesnt sound right at all