• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
2018 RF GT with optional grand sport package up here in Canada (brembos/bbs/nappa leather). Has 5000km, CPO. They're asking $34k CAD (or about $26.5k USD) before taxes. On the high end of my budget but would consider it.
Are you planning on only driving it part of the year due to RWD in the snow? Or are you not concerned? I'm half tempted to look into one but living in Maine, etc.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Are you planning on only driving it part of the year due to RWD in the snow? Or are you not concerned? I'm half tempted to look into one but living in Maine, etc.
We're in Vancouver so it's quite mild here (max maybe 1-2 weeks of snow, in which case I could arrange other transport/steal the Forester). I'd probably drive it year round. If I lived back east like we used to, it would definitely be a sunny season only vehicle though. Always sucked storing my motorbikes for the year and waiting out 6 months of snow!

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
We're in Vancouver so it's quite mild here (max maybe 1-2 weeks of snow, in which case I could arrange other transport/steal the Forester). I'd probably drive it year round. If I lived back east like we used to, it would definitely be a sunny season only vehicle though. Always sucked storing my motorbikes for the year and waiting out 6 months of snow!
Ah, of course, yeah, good friend lives in Gastown. And yes, tomorrow I'm going to fill the tanks with stabilized fuel, run them for a few minutes, and then take out the batteries and put the bikes into storage for the winter. I feel ya.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, of course, yeah, good friend lives in Gastown. And yes, tomorrow I'm going to fill the tanks with stabilized fuel, run them for a few minutes, and then take out the batteries and put the bikes into storage for the winter. I feel ya.
You're giving me flashbacks (lol). What bikes do you have? Any pics? When in Ontario I had a Ninja 250R and then an SV650S.

Found a couple pics of ours...
k8bk9CZ.jpg

ffMeSP8.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I've been driving my NC PRHT Miata daily year round here in Minnesota for about ~5 years with little problems. I don't have a long or rural commute though. Plowing is good here. Winter tires are everything. They use lots of salt here so I keep my car parked outside and give it a wash whenever it goes above freezing. I find a small weight balanced car to be preferable when a slide situation does occur compared to other types of vehicles (front engine or front engine top heavy truck/suv). The biggest obstacle is ultimately clearance. It's really just a blast to drive around after a fresh coating of snow, probably my favorite driving conditions. I don't know if I would have the heart to do it with a new car though...yet again some people won't even drive their miatas in the rain...

Last edited:

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
You're giving me flashbacks (lol). What bikes do you have? Any pics? When in Ontario I had a Ninja 250R and then an SV650S.
We have a motorcycle OT here that includes many pics of my bikes along with others:

www.resetera.com

Motorcycle-Era |OT| Two are better than four

I hope a few fellow riders made it over to the new community. I really enjoyed seeing all the pics of bikes from everyone. Hope to carry that over here.

I have three bikes, an 03 SV650, 17 DRZ400SM, and 17 DL1000. I should probably get rid of the SV650 but I hold out hope my wife will one day want to ride.

Plowing is good here. Winter tires are everything.

Yeah, similar in Maine, I run Nokians even on my WRX, which I sold and replaced with the IS350F several months ago. Need to figure out if I'm going to put winter tires on the IS350F, which is AWD. The WRX needed them because it was so light (or at least that's how I rationalized it).

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Finally finished my several month-long bout of test driving numerous different vehicles, got a great deal and have decided on a purchase.

Already sold the Jag XFS (it sold privately within just 3 days). Will update soon, including possibly posting brief impressions of numerous different vehicles I tested inc the Audi S4, S5, BMW M3, 540i, 340i, Mercedes C63, C43, E43 etc. Pretty interesting and fun comparing and contrasting them against one another.
Wow that's a pretty intensive set of cars to test haha

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Finally got around to getting a professional photographer to take some pics of the GTC. This is my absolute favorite.

560792a4-3ff3-4195-alhk6b.jpeg

Last edited:

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I'm curious to know just how many of us in automotive era own Miatas haha

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't decide between getting the X3M Competition or waiting for the next M3.

Wait for the new M3 I say. Whilst neither is going to be super compliant and comfy, I'd imagine dynamically the saloon is going to be far more enjoyable and precise than the X3M.

I've personally always found the saloons in BMW's line up to have better handling and comfort compared to the 4x4's. The 4x4's higher suspension travel that is often still rather stiff in certain performance or sport models, lends to more bumps with undulations in the road, whilst simultaneously offering more body roll in corners.

We have an X5 40D company car at the moment, and whilst it's not a full blown M car, it's still a tad too stiff and wafty at the same time. As a result, it simply isn't as dynamic as any of the saloons I've tested in recent times (inc a 3GT, M3, 540i, new 340i etc), and oddly the steering is also lighter too, which coupled with the higher suspension travel means it's a tad twitchier on motorways at high speed etc.

The 4x4's main benefit is road precense and practicality with goods pick ups, shopping, airport runs or anything requiring storage basically. Unless you need the latter, go for the saloon, which is still going to be relatively practical, but more direct to drive, and also potentially better with fuel consumption too due to the weight difference.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Taking my 2017 GT86 (BRZ to Americans mostly) in for it's 2 year service tomorrow. I've been super happy with it, amazing vehicle for the money. Handling is super sharp, and it's surprisingly practical. Haven't done any mods yet. Would heartily recommend to anyone looking for sports car on a budget. Miata the only real competition as far as I can think of.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait for the new M3 I say. Whilst neither is going to be super compliant and comfy, I'd imagine dynamically the saloon is going to be far more enjoyable and precise than the X3M.

I've personally always found the saloons in BMW's line up to have better handling and comfort compared to the 4x4's. The 4x4's higher suspension travel that is often still rather stiff in certain performance or sport models, lends to more bumps with undulations in the road, whilst simultaneously offering more body roll in corners.

We have an X5 40D company car at the moment, and whilst it's not a full blown M car, it's still a tad too stiff and wafty at the same time. As a result, it simply isn't as dynamic as any of the saloons I've tested in recent times (inc a 3GT, M3, 540i, new 340i etc), and oddly the steering is also lighter too, which coupled with the higher suspension travel means it's a tad twitchier on motorways at high speed etc.

The 4x4's main benefit is road precense and practicality with goods pick ups, shopping, airport runs or anything requiring storage basically. Unless you need the latter, go for the saloon, which is still going to be relatively practical, but more direct to drive, and also potentially better with fuel consumption too due to the weight difference.

I LOVE a nice and stiff ride. One of my favorite aspects of the X3M Competition was how violent it was which I imagine will transfer to the M3. I'm going to call my BMW guy and see if he can get a proper deal for the X3M. If so, I'll pick it up and figure out the M3 thing later.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I LOVE a nice and stiff ride. One of my favorite aspects of the X3M Competition was how violent it was which I imagine will transfer to the M3. I'm going to call my BMW guy and see if he can get a proper deal for the X3M. If so, I'll pick it up and figure out the M3 thing later.

I like a stiff ride too, but that's in the interests of maintaining a flatter composure in handling and around corners. One negative of a 4x4 is that the higher travel or suspension height is always going to lend to more body roll and sway in corners than the lower saloon alternative, and stiffness simply won't mitigate that difference.

That's not to say the X3M wouldn't be super fun to drive, I'm sure it will be, but I doubt it'll be as confidence inspiring as the M3 equivalent. I'd also imagine the new M3 will have a rear bias favoured 4WD set up similar to the M5, hence it will still have more off the line bite and less rear wheel slip (unless 4WD is turned to RWD mode) than the outgoing M3 model.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man if Karma doesn't put this car into wild I'm going to be one sad person. All electric cars I've seen so far have been going with the mid engine, mid cockpit style that is synonymous with all you're super cars and now with the new Corvette as well. While I think their neat when I see them in person, that is not my style at all.

But Karma has shown off the SC2 and my hopes for electric car styling has been reinvigorated. For a second there I thought the era of long nosed cars, 2 seater GT cars was coming to an end. Now I'm not so scared anymore. The car will definitely be outside of my price range, but hopefully this GT front engine design style will remain when the industry is all electric.

Karma-SC2-Concept.jpg

Karma-SC2-Concept-Side.jpg

Karma-SC2-Concept-Doors-Up.jpg

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man if Karma doesn't put this car into wild I'm going to be one sad person. All electric cars I've seen so far have been going with the mid engine, mid cockpit style that is synonymous with all you're super cars and now with the new Corvette as well. While I think their neat when I see them in person, that is not my style at all.

But Karma has shown off the SC2 and my hopes for electric car styling has been reinvigorated. For a second there I thought the era of long nosed cars, 2 seater GT cars was coming to an end. Now I'm not so scared anymore. The car will definitely be outside of my price range, but hopefully this GT front engine design style will remain when the industry is all electric.

Karma-SC2-Concept.jpg

Karma-SC2-Concept-Side.jpg

Karma-SC2-Concept-Doors-Up.jpg
Not sure about the super long door, but my God is that a stunning vehicle.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I know it already passed, but SEMA happened and was cool. Some builds were actually quite built (and not just A90 Pandems)
maxresdefault.jpg

SEMA-2019-Toyo-Treadpass-Button-Built-F355-01.jpg

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Driving down in Pebble Beach and I ran into a wrapped Vantage AMR and a Drako GTE. I didn't take any pictures of the AMR but I did of the Drako. Weren't good though :(

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Yes, so when gas prices are cheap, people feel less bad about buying something relatively inefficient. Because people are extremely short-sighted.
They like big bulky cars to make them feel safe while they bully others on the road. Hence the dick measuring contest with ride height, and off-road claims for driving off the highway when traffic isn't moving fast enough for them.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
A big part of it too is that SUVs aren't that much more expensive to produce than sedans/cars. The cost of extra materials is not so great that they can't price them aggressively if they need to or make a healthier margin if they need to. What was once more of a segmented market has been blown up by the arrival of crossovers that have made things a lot more fluid in many respects.

From a consumer perspective, you get a lot more value going with a crossover than a sedan, with not that much more price. With electric crossovers, any lingering guilt of environmental impact is squashed as well. It's more of a mystery why this didn't happen sooner, although I'm pretty sure we could have gone a few more years without having to look at the X6.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Hey guys I'm wondering if you can share some advice with me on my situation. So I got my permit. I'm 26 I'm excited and serious on learning to drive. I'm taking classes But I also want to buy a car I live near a Toyota dealership and just so happens I do want a Toyota for my first car. Maybe 2018 or 2019 Camry XSE (USED). What would your advice be on getting my first car while having a permit? I also have Excellent credit but a bit more than a year old.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Why do you guys think SUVs are becoming more popular than other car types lately?

If we're talking crossover SUVs, its because they do a lot of things good enough for most people. They don't really excel at one thing like a car or truck would, but for the average person that only owns one car its what they want.

Personally, I'd rather just own several cars that do the job I want them to do.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm trading in my 2018 AMG C63 S Coupe for a 2020 Ford F250 Platinum W/ Tremor package and the revised 6.7L Diesel engine (475HP and 1050TQ). I know it's kinda crazy going to an AMG to a F250, but these new Super Duty trucks are awesome, plus it's only 5k less then what I paid for my AMG 2 years ago.

Another great things about Heavy Duty trucks, especially the Diesel ones are that they hold value really well. I think it's something like 60% of its value is retained over 5 years, which is really good.

If you ever have a chance to test drive a F250/350 with the Diesel engine you'll love it. The power it has is crazy for a heavy truck, it's pretty crazy how quick it is.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
had to go for a drive in the evo in the first snow storm of the year on my pilot super sport (summer) tires, and god damn what a difference winter tires make. still, had more confidence than virtually any other vehicle/tire combo i've driven, but the difference is astounding.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm trading in my 2018 AMG C63 S Coupe for a 2020 Ford F250 Platinum W/ Tremor package and the revised 6.7L Diesel engine (475HP and 1050TQ). I know it's kinda crazy going to an AMG to a F250, but these new Super Duty trucks are awesome, plus it's only 5k less then what I paid for my AMG 2 years ago.

Another great things about Heavy Duty trucks, especially the Diesel ones are that they hold value really well. I think it's something like 60% of its value is retained over 5 years, which is really good.

If you ever have a chance to test drive a F250/350 with the Diesel engine you'll love it. The power it has is crazy for a heavy truck, it's pretty crazy how quick it is.

are you going to do some serious towing?

otherwise I'd say this is pretty much the craziest shit I've ever seen.

Lol

from what I've seen those 6.7s do like 7-8 second 0-60s.

a v6 grand Cherokee is faster than that and it probably still has a better interior and options than an f250.

like what do you actually need the f250 for?

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
are you going to do some serious towing?

otherwise I'd say this is pretty much the craziest shit I've ever seen.

Lol

from what I've seen those 6.7s do like 7-8 second 0-60s.

a v6 grand Cherokee is faster than that and it probably still has a better interior and options than an f250.

like what do you actually need the f250 for?

I work in Construction for my family business so we haul and tow a lot. I have a GMC Canyon, but it's not really 'construction' truck, so it's payload is poor and it's towing is low

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Orgasmic amount of torque. Personally, I love Toyota trucks.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
My S5's battery keeps dying now that I hardly drive it. Should I get a trickle charger for it? If so, what do you guys recommend?

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Late 2018 Mercedes C43 AMG I picked up a few weeks ago with barely any mileage on it.

Got an incredible deal direct from Mercedes on a cash buy. Didn't go for the newer face-lift model as it was a whopping 25-30% more money for something that was only a few months newer, plus I prefer the front end, headlights etc on the pre-face-lift model.

Fitted the 2019 OEM rear diffuser and tailpipes, GT-R grill and OEM matt black AMG wheels (they look gloss in the photos as the car wash lathered them with glossy finish).

Coupled with night package options, I think it makes the car look much more aggressive. Also, put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's for good measure.

Absolutely LOVE the car. It's a riot. The thing sounds incredible and is silly loud, it also constantly pops and crackles (has the AMG Performance exhaust). 4WD also means that no matter the weather or temperature, you always get instant fully controllable torque and acceleration, as a result it just feels so aggressive and confidence inspiring. it was one of the main reasons I picked the C43 over the C63.

Also, I tested my 0-60 using a friends Dragy when the sun was finally out, and the best I got was a 4.1, which I'm super pleased with as it's notably quicker than Mercedes claimed speed.

Anyway, a few mobile shots.

34c2019120116092201sml0.jpeg

2019120116112901sml.jpg

201912011612110101sm.jpg

201912011609390101bs.jpg

2019120116105401sml.jpg

2019120116013801sml.jpg

a702019120116021501sml.jpg

Last edited: