• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Thank you!

I do think that interior options or tech features wise, it's not quite up to the standards of my previous XFS or the X5 (eg the reverse camera night vision is poor compared to both Jaguar and BMW), but that's somewhat to be expected given the C Class is a smaller tier sedan.

On the plus side, a few things it does better, for example the Burmester sound system is excellent, and the car heats up much quicker than the Jag or BMW (great for winter).

The 2019 C63/43 facelifts really ought to have had the new A class all screen infotainment set up though (as originally found on the E and S class). The fact that the new A Class has a better infotainment system than the C Class just seems a bit odd.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Jaguar redesigned one of the most beautiful modern cars.

Front fascia looks way more generic now. Like a curvy Cadillac CT5 mixed with a Maserati. It still looks good but has lost a lot of what made it so beautiful. Not a fan of this trend of lowering and thinning the headlights on sports cars, making them look like they have huge foreheads; the new Vantage suffers from this as well. Definitely looks more on-brand for Jaguar, though.

Last edited:

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jaguar redesigned one of the most beautiful modern cars.

Front fascia looks way more generic now. Like a curvy Cadillac CT5 mixed with a Maserati. It still looks good but has lost a lot of what made it so beautiful. Not a fan of this trend of lowering and thinning the headlights on sports cars, making them look like they have huge foreheads; the new Vantage suffers from this as well. Definitely looks more on-brand for Jaguar, though.

Still looks good, but doesn't look as unique or as exotic as the previous F-Type. It also looks too much like an XE, like it was a new XER Hybrid Coupe or something.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Late 2018 Mercedes C43 AMG I picked up a few weeks ago with barely any mileage on it.

Got an incredible deal direct from Mercedes on a cash buy. Didn't go for the newer face-lift model as it was a whopping 25-30% more money for something that was only a few months newer, plus I prefer the front end, headlights etc on the pre-face-lift model.

Fitted the 2019 OEM rear diffuser and tailpipes, GT-R grill and OEM matt black AMG wheels (they look gloss in the photos as the car wash lathered them with glossy finish).

Coupled with night package options, I think it makes the car look much more aggressive. Also, put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's for good measure.

Absolutely LOVE the car. It's a riot. The thing sounds incredible and is silly loud, it also constantly pops and crackles (has the AMG Performance exhaust). 4WD also means that no matter the weather or temperature, you always get instant fully controllable torque and acceleration, as a result it just feels so aggressive and confidence inspiring. it was one of the main reasons I picked the C43 over the C63.

Also, I tested my 0-60 using a friends Dragy when the sun was finally out, and the best I got was a 4.1, which I'm super pleased with as it's notably quicker than Mercedes claimed speed.

Anyway, a few mobile shots.

Damn that's a killer spec, love that color.
If the rumors are true, this will be the last non-4 banger AMG C class cars.

also damn that diffuser is nuts. Love it

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn that's a killer spec, love that color.
If the rumors are true, this will be the last non-4 banger AMG C class cars.

also damn that diffuser is nuts. Love it

Thanks dude, though it's no GTC :p

And yea, it's a bit disappointing really.

Not just that, but the new exhaust filter regulations mean that some of the newest versions of some of these cars already lack some of the theatre that previous year models had with their exhausts.

There are a lot of complaints on the forums about this with the new 2019/2020 C63/S, how it no longer has anywhere near the volume and pops, crackles etc as the previous years models.

And now the new C63 as you've hinted is supposedly going to be a 4 cylinder engine, which if the new A45 S AMG is anything to go by, means it likely won't sound nearly as good, and may instead rely on artificial sounds being fed into the cabin speakers to compensate.

Last edited:

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks dude, though it's no GTC :p

And yea, it's a bit disappointing really.

Not just that, but the new exhaust filter regulations mean that some of the newest versions of some of these cars already lack some of the theatre that previous year models had with their exhausts.

There are a lot of complaints on the forums about this with the new 2019/2020 C63/S, how it no longer has anywhere near the volume and pops, crackles etc as the previous years models.

And now the new C63 as you've hinted is supposedly going to be a 4 cylinder engine, which if the new A45 S AMG is anything to go by, means it likely won't sound nearly as good, and may instead rely on artificial sounds being fed into the cabin speakers to compensate.
Haha but really, speaking of the GTC - I heard that the 2020 facelift has less crackles and pops too. Really sad, cause the whole AMG experience was that "gutteral deep sound" with those addicting crackles.
It really is the end of the era if AMG follows through. Now I don't know jack about how these cars will be valued, but IMO it would make me want to chose a current gen AMG over anything newer if I was in the market.

How do you like your new baby after the first week? Still look back at her after you park? Haha
Any plans for tunes down the road? I've read that the C43 is an absolute beast with tuning

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haha but really, speaking of the GTC - I heard that the 2020 facelift has less crackles and pops too. Really sad, cause the whole AMG experience was that "gutteral deep sound" with those addicting crackles.
It really is the end of the era if AMG follows through. Now I don't know jack about how these cars will be valued, but IMO it would make me want to chose a current gen AMG over anything newer if I was in the market.

How do you like your new baby after the first week? Still look back at her after you park? Haha
Any plans for tunes down the road? I've read that the C43 is an absolute beast with tuning

It probably won't just be fewer pops and crackles, but potentially also lower max volume overall too. I believe new EU regulations require phasing down the max dB of exhausts over the next few years.

And yea, I've actually had her for a few weeks now. Purchased the car before that test drive post I made a couple of weeks ago. Still checking it out all the time, and also just finding any excuse to drive it, especially late nights on my local country lanes where I'm able to just beast it around.

Most of the time driving aggressively I get disgusting fuel economy/mpg though lol, that said if I drive fairly sensibly in Comfort or Eco it actually doesn't do too badly at all.

Not looking to do any performance mods yet, mostly because I have 2 years of warranty left and don't really want to jeopardise it just yet.

Are you looking to do any mods on the GTC, whether cosmetic or performance? Have you done any timed acceleration tests/runs with it yet?

Last edited:

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Late 2018 Mercedes C43 AMG I picked up a few weeks ago with barely any mileage on it.

Got an incredible deal direct from Mercedes on a cash buy. Didn't go for the newer face-lift model as it was a whopping 25-30% more money for something that was only a few months newer, plus I prefer the front end, headlights etc on the pre-face-lift model.

Fitted the 2019 OEM rear diffuser and tailpipes, GT-R grill and OEM matt black AMG wheels (they look gloss in the photos as the car wash lathered them with glossy finish).

Coupled with night package options, I think it makes the car look much more aggressive. Also, put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's for good measure.

Absolutely LOVE the car. It's a riot. The thing sounds incredible and is silly loud, it also constantly pops and crackles (has the AMG Performance exhaust). 4WD also means that no matter the weather or temperature, you always get instant fully controllable torque and acceleration, as a result it just feels so aggressive and confidence inspiring. it was one of the main reasons I picked the C43 over the C63.

Also, I tested my 0-60 using a friends Dragy when the sun was finally out, and the best I got was a 4.1, which I'm super pleased with as it's notably quicker than Mercedes claimed speed.

Anyway, a few mobile shots.

34c2019120116092201sml0.jpeg

2019120116112901sml.jpg

201912011612110101sm.jpg

201912011609390101bs.jpg

2019120116105401sml.jpg

2019120116013801sml.jpg

a702019120116021501sml.jpg
Congratulations!

Stunning car. Nothing quite does it for me like Mercedes interiors.

I feel like in the last generation they've brought down so much of the luxury look and styling from the S-Class that the C has basically become a baby S-Class inside and out.

Deleted member 25834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm thinking of potentially purchasing my first car next year.

Any thoughts on the 2019/2020 Civic Hatchback Sport? It's what I've been leaning towards for the last couple of weeks (ever since I realized my dream of owning a Telsla Model 3 is dead for now -- too expensive). It would be an automatic/CTV transmission.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I'm thinking of potentially purchasing my first car next year.

Any thoughts on the 2019/2020 Civic Hatchback Sport? It's what I've been leaning towards for the last couple of weeks (ever since I realized my dream of owning a Telsla Model 3 is dead for now -- too expensive). It would be an automatic/CTV transmission.

Yep great car esp 2020 refreshes models. Also check out mazda 3 hatch it is way more luxurious feeling and less boy racer look if you're inclined.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
There's this 2007 Honda S2000 for sale close by me at a good dealer for 21k. 48k Miles, no mods, bone stock and clean title no accidents.

I REALLY want to buy it since the S2000 was my dream car since I was like 17 and saw Johnny Trans in F&F.

Also, prices seem to be creeping up now since 6 speed manuals are getting rare and high reving NA engines are rare now, plus kids my age can buy them now.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
There's this 2007 Honda S2000 for sale close by me at a good dealer for 21k. 48k Miles, no mods, bone stock and clean title no accidents.

I REALLY want to buy it since the S2000 was my dream car since I was like 17 and saw Johnny Trans in F&F.

Also, prices seem to be creeping up now since 6 speed manuals are getting rare and high reving NA engines are rare now, plus kids my age can buy them now.

Buy it, you probably won't lose a ton of money on it if you decide to sell it down the line.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It probably won't just be fewer pops and crackles, but potentially also lower max volume overall too. I believe new EU regulations require phasing down the max dB of exhausts over the next few years.

And yea, I've actually had her for a few weeks now. Purchased the car before that test drive post I made a couple of weeks ago. Still checking it out all the time, and also just finding any excuse to drive it, especially late nights on my local country lanes where I'm able to just beast it around.

Most of the time driving aggressively I get disgusting fuel economy/mpg though lol, that said if I drive fairly sensibly in Comfort or Eco it actually doesn't do too badly at all.

Not looking to do any performance mods yet, mostly because I have 2 years of warranty left and don't really want to jeopardise it just yet.

Are you looking to do any mods on the GTC, whether cosmetic or performance? Have you done any timed acceleration tests/runs with it yet?
Ive heard about that as well. Incredibly disappointing, especially considering how cool the new MBUX is. I guess there is a tradeoff in the future tho.

You must have incredible self control to drive in Eco lol, I dont think Ive spent any time in Eco thus far haha. Its always been sports+. Race is a bit too aggressive.
Haven't done any mods yet, but I'm in the same boat as you. Have a few years left in the warranty, but I have not heard about any issues, so I might be tempted to change something up. Might get a custom tune at most, but nothing planned for now

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

Where do u live? I bought my ap2 2 years ago with similar specs around that price.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Man, struggling to decide on a model sucks. I can't wrap my head around a specific car and the more I think about it, the more I add cars in my head within my budget and it feels like it's never-ending.

I've tested all of them and enjoyed every single one of them for different reasons:

2017+ Lexus GS350
2017+ Lexus IS350
2017+ Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
2017+ Infiniti Q50 3.0T Red Sport
2018+ Genesis G70 3.3T
2018+ Genesis G80 Sport 3.3T
2017+ Genesis G90 5.0 Ultimate

Damnit...

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
So apparently the Taycan gets 200 miles of range according to the EPA.

https://jalopnik.com/the-porsche-ta...1-miles-is-so-1840366884#js_discussion-region

The U.S. government's fuel economy site lists the Porsche Taycan Turbo's range capacity at just 201 miles—far shorter than the estimated 280-mile range of the European WLTP testing standard for the same car.

This ranks the Taycan Turbo worse on range in the U.S. than every current Tesla model, the Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Audi E-Tron, and the Jaguar I-Pace. Nearly all of these vehicles feature a smaller battery than the Porsche's 93.4 kWh pack.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I would still take the Taycan over any of those and I imagine that most people that could afford a Taycan will get one because it's a Porsche.
Oh definitely, you buy one for the performance and the badge (and it looks damn good). Something had to give for that level of performance though. It'll outlast any Tesla on track and that's what most of its target audience wants I presume.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I would still take the Taycan over any of those and I imagine that most people that could afford a Taycan will get one because it's a Porsche.
Definitely, but I do wonder if it will slightly impact them if it sours people going into it thinking they'll have a grand touring car.

I'm really not sure if it's more of a performance EV or a GT car, though, or whether there is a difference currently. EVs are in this weird place where a Model 3 can go 0-60 at hypercar speeds, and instantaneous acceleration, which is probably the most rewarding/differentiating part of owning a performance car for the small fraction of people who don't track them, is becoming really accessible across the market. Really curious to see how the performance segment develops in response, and what selling points emerge.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely, but I do wonder if it will slightly impact them if it sours people going into it thinking they'll have a grand touring car.

I'm really not sure if it's more of a performance EV or a GT car, though, or whether there is a difference currently. EVs are in this weird place where a Model 3 can go 0-60 at hypercar speeds, and instantaneous acceleration, which is probably the most rewarding/differentiating part of owning a performance car for the small fraction of people who don't track them, is becoming really accessible across the market. Really curious to see how the performance segment develops in response, and what selling points emerge.

The turbo and turbo S models would be performance EVs in my opinion. I really think that people who choose to get those trims know exactly what they're getting into and sales aren't going to be affected by the low range. The 4S trim is where it gets interesting because its price range will be a lot closer to the model S performance and it will most likely be a daily driver for the vast majority of customers. I don't think the badge will be enough to get people to jump in when the Tesla nearly has double the range. It's a very tough sale.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The Taycan is in a strange place for me because it's a 4 seater hyper sedan. The 200 mile range limit does hurt it if it's aimed at folk who want to use it for road trips.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Took a gamble holding off on putting winter tires to make a long trip where the weather was much warmer. Ended up costing me $3700 because I slid into a concrete culvert 10 min from home. God damn. I feel dumb.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Took a gamble holding off on putting winter tires to make a long trip where the weather was much warmer. Ended up costing me $3700 because I slid into a concrete culvert 10 min from home. God damn. I feel dumb.

Hat damn. Sorry to hear that dude. I've never put on Winter tires here in the UK, but luckily I've never had to drive on snow or anything. The Pilot Sport 4S's seem to do fairly well even in freezing conditions, but obviously they'd be useless in snow. Presumably your car is real wheel drive?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Hat damn. Sorry to hear that dude. I've never put on Winter tires here in the UK, but luckily I've never had to drive on snow or anything. The Pilot Sport 4S's seem to do fairly well even in freezing conditions, but obviously they'd be useless in snow. Presumably your car is real wheel drive?

No, awd, Evo x. Just made a 90 and started sliding. Did the right thing, had I had better tires, and pulled the ebrake and gave it throttle, which made it worse. Slid into a small ditch. No big deal, but I didn't take a second to assess the situation and instead wanted to save face. I just went to pull out of it knowing I would ebentually. Didn't see I was sliding into the cement culvert I never knew existed till it was too late. Ripped the side skirt off, did some body and door damage. Ugh.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Oof damn Im sorry man. Glad you are safe though, I had a friend in the same situation as you except his car slipped and flipped and the poor guy had fractured his wrists. At least its repairable and it seems like you are safe.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Oof damn Im sorry man. Glad you are safe though, I had a friend in the same situation as you except his car slipped and flipped and the poor guy had fractured his wrists. At least its repairable and it seems like you are safe.

true. about 20 min later, going down the hill on a windy hwy, i came across an early 2000s mustang that slid out right as the road transitioned from wet to slush, clipped a tree on the outside, spun the car around, leaving the front left wheel hanging off the edge of a cliff. they were pretty shaken up. didnt help my driving confidence either!

Oct 30, 2017
i was under steering so i tried to swing the car around. gas was to pull out of the slide. it works, just not on pilot super sports in the snow. i would have been (much) better off just letting it slide with little to no input and assessing the situation before going on, but well, shit.
I would practice some more in the snow, everything you did reduced turning grip and your post accident assessment is much better.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So the Cayman GT4 is EVO's car of the year. Interested in the vehicle for a future purchase goal, but to me 0-60 in 4.2s (4.4s for the previous model) seems a bit slow, relatively speaking? Even on zeroto60times.com the best time recorded for a GT4 is 4.1s, which is the same exact time I've recorded in my C43.

Seems bizzare that a super light track orientated sports car would post the same sort of 0-60 as a much cheaper heavy mid-sized sedan, and figured £100k in 2019 ought to buy you something notably quicker off the line, not just around a track. I appreciate it'll handle infinitely better, but speed and theatre matters too. And on that point, the new 718 GT4 doesn't sound nearly as good as the older 981 GT4, so there's that too.

Last edited:

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i was under steering so i tried to swing the car around. gas was to pull out of the slide. it works, just not on pilot super sports in the snow. i would have been (much) better off just letting it slide with little to no input and assessing the situation before going on, but well, shit.

I have stupidly drive on Super Sports in the snow with 487 lb-ft of torque and 523 HP at the wheel. It was a harrowing experience but it made it home safely.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
So the Cayman GT4 is EVO's car of the year. Interested in the vehicle for a future purchase goal, but to me 0-60 in 4.2s (4.4s for the previous model) seems a bit slow, relatively speaking? Even on zeroto60times.com the best time recorded for a GT4 is 4.1s, which is the same exact time I've recorded in my C43.

Seems bizzare that a super light track orientated sports car would post the same sort of 0-60 as a much cheaper heavy mid-sized sedan, and figured £100k in 2019 ought to buy you something notably quicker off the line, not just around a track. I appreciate it'll handle infinitely better, but speed and theatre matters too. And on that point, the new 718 GT4 doesn't sound nearly as good as the older 981 GT4, so there's that too.

Gearing makes a huge difference for 0-60. A sport oriented car may be geared so that you have to shift twice before 60mph. The GT4 is a manual, right?

An automatic may have a distinct 0-60 advantage regardless of how many shifts you need since a shift in such a short span of time is a relatively large portion of the run.

A 1/4mi time is more representative of overall performance.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gearing makes a huge difference for 0-60. A sport oriented car may be geared so that you have to shift twice before 60mph. The GT4 is a manual, right?

An automatic may have a distinct 0-60 advantage regardless of how many shifts you need since a shift in such a short span of time is a relatively large portion of the run.

A 1/4mi time is more representative of overall performance.

Even the recorded quarter-mile runs aren't massively different though. Around 12.6s for the C43, and 12.3s for the (981) GT4.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A couple of random mobile shots, as well as two GoPro exhaust recordings.

Excuse the poor audio quality, these were using the default built-in GoPro mic, which isn't great.

42nib95C432.jpg

nib95C431.jpg

Last edited:

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Help me out AutomotivEra!

Background: I have been used car shopping for a while now because I want a smaller car after far too long with a crossover. I was hoping to stay under $10K but was willing to go as high up as $20K for something special. My plan is to drive it around for like two years and then hand it off to my brother who will be finishing high school/getting ready to go to college.

I am strongly considering a Dodge Dart. Anyone here have any experience with the Dodge Dart? What were your thoughts? Specifically the 2.4L ones.

I am also open to other recommendations for cars to check out. Below in spoilers you can see the journey I took before getting to this point. I won't actually test drive the Dart until next weekend but if I end up hating it I don't even know what I'm going to do. Also yes, I am specifically avoiding the Honda Civic, Accord, and Camry because where's the fun in that?

At first I was looking for roadster. I tried a Mercedes SLK but it felt too small and cramped when I test drove it. Same with the Porsche Boxster. I had my eyes on a Porsche Cayman but then realized the maintenance on a Mercedes or a Porsche would be an expensive headache to pass on to someone else.

So then I decided maybe an import would be fun. There was a MK3 Supra but the entire interior was mad gross. Then there was a Mitsubishi 3000GT that the previous owner had put in an Apple CarPlay radio and seemed perfect. But the engine was rattling and seemed to be in rough shape.

So then I thought, a muscle car would be cool. My dad had (still has) a Mustang, and I used to drive it all the time so I wanted something else, and the Challengers are wide boats, so I looked at Camaros. There was an awesome price on a 2010 Camaro SS but the visibility sucked and there was no backup camera or nav system. And I don't care for the tail lights on the newer models, plus the bigger engine ones are more expensive than what I wanted to spend.

Then there was an AMC Javelin that was in seemingly decent shape, and a Bricklin SV-1 in even better shape but neither seemed practical as a daily driver.

And then as I am browsing Car Gurus specifically for cars that have a back up camera, the Dodge Dart catches my gaze and refuses to let go. It seems practical, safe, and fun. And I kinda really like the way it looks. Digging a little deeper on Google there seems to be a decent sized community that swears by them. Sure, it isn't nearly as "cool" as the other cars would be for a high school student to be driving, but it is a hell of a lot more practical. And it has the modern features you expect from cars now days.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Help me out AutomotivEra!

Background: I have been used car shopping for a while now because I want a smaller car after far too long with a crossover. I was hoping to stay under $10K but was willing to go as high up as $20K for something special. My plan is to drive it around for like two years and then hand it off to my brother who will be finishing high school/getting ready to go to college.

I am strongly considering a Dodge Dart. Anyone here have any experience with the Dodge Dart? What were your thoughts? Specifically the 2.4L ones.

I am also open to other recommendations for cars to check out. Below in spoilers you can see the journey I took before getting to this point. I won't actually test drive the Dart until next weekend but if I end up hating it I don't even know what I'm going to do. Also yes, I am specifically avoiding the Honda Civic, Accord, and Camry because where's the fun in that?

At first I was looking for roadster. I tried a Mercedes SLK but it felt too small and cramped when I test drove it. Same with the Porsche Boxster. I had my eyes on a Porsche Cayman but then realized the maintenance on a Mercedes or a Porsche would be an expensive headache to pass on to someone else.

So then I decided maybe an import would be fun. There was a MK3 Supra but the entire interior was mad gross. Then there was a Mitsubishi 3000GT that the previous owner had put in an Apple CarPlay radio and seemed perfect. But the engine was rattling and seemed to be in rough shape.

So then I thought, a muscle car would be cool. My dad had (still has) a Mustang, and I used to drive it all the time so I wanted something else, and the Challengers are wide boats, so I looked at Camaros. There was an awesome price on a 2010 Camaro SS but the visibility sucked and there was no backup camera or nav system. And I don't care for the tail lights on the newer models, plus the bigger engine ones are more expensive than what I wanted to spend.

Then there was an AMC Javelin that was in seemingly decent shape, and a Bricklin SV-1 in even better shape but neither seemed practical as a daily driver.

And then as I am browsing Car Gurus specifically for cars that have a back up camera, the Dodge Dart catches my gaze and refuses to let go. It seems practical, safe, and fun. And I kinda really like the way it looks. Digging a little deeper on Google there seems to be a decent sized community that swears by them. Sure, it isn't nearly as "cool" as the other cars would be for a high school student to be driving, but it is a hell of a lot more practical. And it has the modern features you expect from cars now days.
this is probably not what you want to hear but if your goal is to get a used, reasonably reliable/won't break the bank when repairs are due, compact daily driver then you should go for the civic, corolla, mazda3, etc, like everyone else especially if you only need it for 2 years, drop down the manual tax if feeling sporty is really that important to you - save the used boxter/cayman/JDM import once you're really ready for it. I do not think you get any substantial benefit from getting a dart over any other compact commuter car, but test drive a few and see for yourself - my feeling is that you will find it is not especially sporty and the build quality will be lacking compared to the "boring" cars, but if it really clicks and you've done the research on the particular trouble areas for that car, go for it! Other options to consider that might be more fun/engaging to drive compared to the civic/corolla while remaining reasonably practical would be the Ford Fiesta especially in the ST trim, and i've heard similar things about the Honda Fit - may be worth researching as well.