• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
really need some pics to get an idea if it will work or not... hope it's less squat looking than the current 370z
70979714_2413789655505484_5864295436723964905_n.jpg

73161308_591332574952823_4148083043961137067_n.jpg

71888821_606645076763405_5072869923838002322_n.jpg

I really like this interpretation of a modernized 240z style front end

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah something along those lines would be sweet.

Well, I lost the liner somewhere... When I was installing the spare, the liner was still somehow attached to the bumper. I started hearing something scraping the ground on my way home, thought it might be low pressure in the spare. The scraping sound went away some minutes later, and I got home to find the liner gone.

I plan to get a cheap generic one off ebay since it doesn't seem very hard to do it myself. But the tire shop dude told me I could wait til spring, I don't get it.

I'm also shocked how fragile these bumper components are.
yeah it's not a critical component of your suspension or anything but if you drive in bad weather you should get it fixed up sooner rather than later.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Had the credit check approved for an A200 AMG, won't be as fast as my last few cars but will be so nice to have a car where everything just works and not dreading the MOT every year

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
Hello Auto-Era.

I'm new to this thread and so is my new car! Last car I've owned was a 2008 Mazda 3. I can't express how happy I am!

I know it's not a V8... but I wanted a car I could commute on daily without paying too much for insurance and gas while still packing a punch.
And oh boy, I've never driven anything above 105bhp.... and having 310 now is literally mindblowing when I put my foot down!

l9j8jrt5mx441.jpg

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hello Auto-Era.

I'm new to this thread and so is my new car! Last car I've owned was a 2008 Mazda 3. I can't express how happy I am!

I know it's not a V8... but I wanted a car I could commute on daily without paying too much for insurance and gas while still packing a punch.
And oh boy, I've never driven anything above 105bhp.... and having 310 now is literally mindblowing when I put my foot down!

l9j8jrt5mx441.jpg

Looks awesome.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hello Auto-Era.

l9j8jrt5mx441.jpg

The EcoBoost has some beans, I loved it when I drove one last year.

Got the truck started, but then the serpentine belt immediately snapped. So I have that on order now. But when it ran, it actually sounded...pretty good? I have the new plugs and ignition coils on hand, so I'll do those tomorrow while it's warmer.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Considering getting out of my 2016 Challenger Hellcat. I've had it for about three years - and for the last month its sat in a garage during this midwest winter. Considering my itch, figure it's better to look around now than just letting it rot in my garage for four or five more months. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the thing - but I now have a kiddo, the warranty is about dried up, and I don't trust the thing not to start falling apart in the semi-near future.

Ideally I'd find a 4-door manual with lots of power. The obvious choice is an M3. But I don't want a used BMW, and the new M3 will probably be ~$80K decently equipped.

I could say "f-it" and get the new C8. But that's gonna be a long wait. And I'm pretty much in the same spot, less the stick :(

I looked at the M2 Comp - cool car. But the backseat is tiny and as a dude who is 6'2", it felt ... small. All around me.

I'd LOVE an Alfa Romeo G QV, but new is $70K+, no manual, and lol @ our dealer network out here.

Right now I'm cross-shopping a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon and a 2020 M340i, lol. If the 340i offered a manual, it'd be a done deal. The Jeep is something TOTALLY different - I like the idea of how absurd it is, has a stick, doors come off, can ride with the family. All cool. And it holds its value pretty well. In a couple years if I settle on something, it's easy to sell it for something else.

But the 340i is WAY more my speed, as I'm a car guy not really an SUV guy.

I dunno - this is just my stream of consciousness... The truth is the Hellcat was like an "insta dream car" the moment I saw it. I knew I had to have it. And it lived up to all my hopes and dreams. But it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me right now, especially as it gets a bit older. I'm struggling to find something new that still makes me smile as much.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering getting out of my 2016 Challenger Hellcat. I've had it for about three years - and for the last month its sat in a garage during this midwest winter. Considering my itch, figure it's better to look around now than just letting it rot in my garage for four or five more months. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the thing - but I now have a kiddo, the warranty is about dried up, and I don't trust the thing not to start falling apart in the semi-near future.

Ideally I'd find a 4-door manual with lots of power. The obvious choice is an M3. But I don't want a used BMW, and the new M3 will probably be ~$80K decently equipped.

I could say "f-it" and get the new C8. But that's gonna be a long wait. And I'm pretty much in the same spot, less the stick :(

I looked at the M2 Comp - cool car. But the backseat is tiny and as a dude who is 6'2", it felt ... small. All around me.

I'd LOVE an Alfa Romeo G QV, but new is $70K+, no manual, and lol @ our dealer network out here.

Right now I'm cross-shopping a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon and a 2020 M340i, lol. If the 340i offered a manual, it'd be a done deal. The Jeep is something TOTALLY different - I like the idea of how absurd it is, has a stick, doors come off, can ride with the family. All cool. And it holds its value pretty well. In a couple years if I settle on something, it's easy to sell it for something else.

I dunno - this is just my stream of consciousness... The truth is the Hellcat was like an "insta dream car" the moment I saw it. I knew I had to have it. And it lived up to all my hopes and dreams. But it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me right now, especially as it gets a bit older. I'm struggling to find something new that still makes me smile as much.

I'd test drive the C43 and C63 too. I think you might be pleasantly surprised, especially against the 340i.

I test drove a similar selection of cars a few months ago, and ended up getting the C43 just for the added Jekyll and Hyde factor vs the others, eg it's a great, practical and comfortable luxury sedan when you want it to be, but then an aggressive and shouty beast when you want more fun factor and theatrics.

The AMG Performance Exhaust option is a must though, that way you get louder and deeper exhaust notes, as well as far more cracks, pops and bangs, and the ability to shut the exhaust valves too.

There's a good comparison vid here.

Oct 30, 2017

Can I ask why you're really only considering new cars? All of those are going to depreciate hard so you'll end up spending more on that than any out of warranty maintenance costs.

As far as which car, though, I'll throw in my cap for a Giulia. I have a '17 Ti with the performance package and I have been absolutely in love with it. Leagues above the competition from BMW in driving character with plenty of usable space and daily comfort. Now it's not the QV with oodles of power, but there are light tunes that will take the 2.0T near to 400hp without much fuss. I get your point on not having an Alfa network around, but so far mine has been great aside from needing a couple of software updates and a delaminating screen, neither of which impacted actual reliability. Across the board the powertrain has so far proved reliable with no major faults reported.

Seriously I love mine to death, and because everyone is hyper-reactionary about Alfa reliability you can have one with 15,000 miles for around 50% of new price, it's ludicrous.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'd test drive the C43 and C63 too. I think you might be pleasantly surprised, especially against the 340i.

I test drove a similar selection of cars a few months ago, and ended up getting the C43 just for the added Jekyll and Hyde factor vs the others, eg it's a great, practical and comfortable luxury sedan when you want it to be, but then an aggressive and shouty beast when you want more fun factor and theatrics.

The AMG Performance Exhaust option is a must though, that way you get louder and deeper exhaust notes, as well as far more cracks, pops and bangs, and the ability to shut the exhaust valves too.

There's a good comparison vid here.

Thank you for the suggestion, I really appreciate it. I'm really not much of a fan of Mercedes' design language. It just doesn't call to me much at all - but I'll take a look around and see if one's available for test drive. Always open to giving something a shot.

Can I ask why you're really only considering new cars? All of those are going to depreciate hard so you'll end up spending more on that than any out of warranty maintenance costs.

As far as which car, though, I'll throw in my cap for a Giulia. I have a '17 Ti with the performance package and I have been absolutely in love with it. Leagues above the competition from BMW in driving character with plenty of usable space and daily comfort. Now it's not the QV with oodles of power, but there are light tunes that will take the 2.0T near to 400hp without much fuss. I get your point on not having an Alfa network around, but so far mine has been great aside from needing a couple of software updates and a delaminating screen, neither of which impacted actual reliability. Across the board the powertrain has so far proved reliable with no major faults reported.

Seriously I love mine to death, and because everyone is hyper-reactionary about Alfa reliability you can have one with 15,000 miles for around 50% of new price, it's ludicrous.

I like to drive my cars hard, and so I just really like the comfort of a new vehicle and one under warranty. Additionally, I like exciting new tech - even my 2016 Hellcat lacks things like Carplay - or even better, wireless carplay, wireless charging, 360 camera, pseudo auto-pilot, etc. Finally, I'm very much drawn to whatever is "new and exciting." 3-4 years ago it was all about the Hellcat on any car site - and a 707 hp engine with a third pedal with a standard manufacturer's warranty just called to me. And now a few years later, the new hotness are things like the Gladiator, the brand new 3 series, the C8, the Supra, etc. And so those are the things I'm shopping for. Not vanity - but because new, to me at least, is fun. Also: for something like a BMW, I'd lease.

Thanks for the tip on the Ti! Yeah, I've noticed the used market on Tis is crazy low - it'd be worth a shot. But I think not having the QV would always eat at me a bit. I can even deal with the questionable reliability - I have a backup vehicle for winter that could be used during repairs - but other than ONE dealer here that has questionable reviews, there are scant few choices - and I don't want to be mad everytime I have to deal with something. But again, like you said, maybe it's all overblown. I need to go test drive one again and see how I feel relative to the price, and then maybe take a Ti for a spin and do the same thing. Thanks!

I did put in an offer over email for an M340i last night. Pretty much my perfect spec at $64.5 MSRP. Got them to $56K right now + 1,000 in fees. I don't think we're gonna be able to get the numbers to work - it's been very respectful and professional, but they're still a bit off where I'd like to be on a lease and I don't see us closing the gap this week. But the shopping is starting to feel more "real." If they said they could hit the details I outlined, I'd go pick it up this weekend.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I actually rather like the GR Yaris (as well as the GR Copen). I think we need more quirky small hot hatches

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Radiator cracked in the EM1. Now for some late night winter wrenching 😤 I've wanted to keep it as OEM as possible for when I eventually sell it but...$1000CAD for the same plastic piece of shit is a no go when I could get an all-aluminum Blox for $250.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
after a year i finally have all the parts exterior wise so we began stripping the car.

also ordered some leather from relicate at new york final interior design is different from the one i uploaded here a year ago

for now we have yet to see any rust in the car so that's great news
IMG-a6cbfa89e8adb42587f68607b5d66931-V.jpg
IMG-09c9a7195ff569d3cebd5f43c26edbd6-V.jpg

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a 2017 GT soul red miata popped up at that same dealership for ~20k...

Yeah I'm driving down there in 2 weeks when I get my break

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to get out of my 2015 F-Type R so I went car shopping this weekend. I got to test drive the Supra and the M2 Competition. I'll say that when it came to performance and interior quality I'll have to say the M2 by a long shot. The base M2 isn't that much more than what they are selling Supras in my area. The M2s can also be tuned to 500+ hp for less than $1900. The thing about the M2 is that it has back seats and I hate having back seats in a sports car. The rear tires are not as wide as I thought they were too. I think the rear sits on 265s? I mean it's a tough looking car.

I guess the coolness factor goes to Supra for people who see it rolling down the street. For me though there were things that irked me about the car. It has non-functional air vents with no way to make them functional without actually cutting into the panels and doing other major body work. It really gives the car a cheap look to me. The body panels seemed off to me almost making it look like a kit car in some areas. The interior is also almost the exact same as an older BMW. Down to the knob control and the buttons on the dash. It's the exact same layout as my 2015 328i. The steering wheel is a BMW steering wheel. The air vents seem unique. Performance was ok. I'm sure you can spend money on it to bump it over 400hp but the same can be done to the M2 to get it to 500hp.

If the Supra actually sold for it's MSRP then I'd say it would be a deal. But the dealers in my area are selling the car for 57K to 58K with some marking them up to 70K.

Neither car is really for me. I was thinking about the new F-Type, but the 2021 face lift killed the cars design for me. Now it looks like all their other Jaguars. It's by no means ugly, but they just gave it the same design cues found in all their other vehicles. That and nothing has really changed outside an interior update and the R having the SVR tuned engine. I was under the impression that it would have a new powerplant.

Not much sub $100,000 looks good to me. The 718 is something else I'd like to check out. Any other $40-$100,000 sports cars to check out? I tried the Z06 and did not enjoy the transmission in it compared to the ZF in the F-Type. I also don't mind manual, but no one here sells manual cars. I'm almost about to just call it quits for like 2 years and wait for there to be a few used 2019 Vantages in the used car market.

The new M3 will be a beast.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 2008 Toyota Matrix that was valued at $4000 about 5 years ago, presumably less now. It has repairs needing to be done around $4000. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money to buy a new car right now. What should I do? Should I get a loan car?

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 2008 Toyota Matrix that was valued at $4000 about 5 years ago, presumably less now. It has repairs needing to be done around $4000. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money to buy a new car right now. What should I do? Should I get a loan car?
Maybe get like a 2012ish used honda civic?

Out of curiosity, what went wrong with the matrix? I have a 2006 Matrix myself.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Man, the 987.2 cayman has such a sweet spot in my heart. I think it's the most gorgeous iteration. I'm so tempted to pick up a higher mileage model and clean it up. Just waiting for the right spec is hard considering they are a bit rarer due to their release coinciding with the recession.

If a nice blue, Sc PDK model pops up...

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
EM1 not pissing coolant everywhere now. I changed a thermostat last year, but the new one didn't come with a new gasket. I reused the old one but paid the price since it gave up the ghost soon after I replaced the radiator. New gasket seems to have done the trick. It was significantly more pliable and thicker than the old gasket. I think the car is getting to the point where "old" is a valid diagnostic reason.

Got the F150 started on Saturday. After the new battery, the alternator almost immediately seized and snapped the serpentine belt as a result. Took a while to get this alternator between misleading pricing and needing to get an alternate when one was out of stock. Was my first time doing both on anything but it wasn't so bad. Lots of clearance in the engine bay, good weather, and lots of smooth idlers to push the belt over to get it in place. It definitely runs like it's got a misfire so the plan is to change out those plugs and coils today on the cylinders I have codes for.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Catalytic converter broke and then just routine repairs/upkeep, no major problem but it adds up in $.

If you don't want to spend a huge amount of money on a new car, it means you're buying a used car that will probably just need all the same work in the not too distant future. Your car is only 12 years old, so you wouldn't be getting anything much newer. I would just fix your current car and keep saving up.

Oct 25, 2017
Heavily considering canceling my C8 deposit and just getting a 2020 F-Type R or SVR (depending on the deal)

Am I stupid? :(

my impatience is showing as it sounds like I won't get my C8 until August now.

Oct 25, 2017
Just 2K. Nothing too crazy.

The new F-Type embargo ended this morning. Lots of videos online. Seems pretty nice. Seems like they toned down the exhaust but its still loud on acceleration - but now has a quiet mode for startup if needed.

I honestly like the new looks now over the older model. Grew on me. Looks sleek.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017

get a second opinion from another mechanic!

A used cat replacement shouldn't be more than like $1k even in a high COL area for a car like the Matrix. It also might just have a bad sensor but there's more money in selling and installing a cat because it'll take only a bit longer than a sensor and they have to use a senior tech for both but the cat replacement (w/ the sensors too) has way more repair book value.

There's no timing belt, it has a chain, what on earth is driving the other $3k estimate?

These cars are pretty bulletproof as cars go. Curious to know what everything else added up to. Stuff like random minor seepage getting the "replace main seal/all valve cover gaskets" or some random suspension grease meaning that you need to replace a CV axle or two.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just 2K. Nothing too crazy.

The new F-Type embargo ended this morning. Lots of videos online. Seems pretty nice. Seems like they toned down the exhaust but its still loud on acceleration - but now has a quiet mode for startup if needed.

I honestly like the new looks now over the older model. Grew on me. Looks sleek.

I'd go with the Jag but either choice is viable.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lord, fuck these ignition coils in the F150. It's got the 4.6 V8, so not the one (the 5.4) where the spark plug breaks in the head on removal. Instead the ignition coil itself broke into three pieces while getting it out. That and in removing a what looks to be some sort of fuel pressure sensor for clearance I broke another bolt. Finally prompted me to buy a bolt extractor kit. Just waiting for some better weather till I get outside again. I at least feel glad that the misfire diagnosis was on the ball with regards to the spark plugs; the one I managed to take out had the electrode pretty much burned off.

So uh, now three more to go with two of them pretty much against the firewall...

NeoBob688 I echo frags suggestion, get it checked at another mechanic. Or, if this is one you trust, buy the parts yourself and get them to install it. Cut out the little bonus they get from buying the parts for you. A cat is pretty straightforward but does require you to get under the car.

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
Recently traded in my 208 GTI for something new. There were a few contenders like the Focus RS, Megane RS, Golf R, but I stumbled on an FK2 Type R ad by chance. I suddenly remembered that the FK8 was not the first type R in years, it was the FK2. It had a decent price, went in to look at the dealer and fell in love. Couple of days later I made the decision to go for it.

Still so happy with my decision, car's a hoot to drive. If there's 2 things I would have love to have seen better it's the soundtrack and the fact that you can't customize the +R mode. I love how the accelerator response improves but the stiffened dampers aren't really useable on the average road. A shame.
And the sound isn't that bad, but it's a shame that Honda didn't go the extra mile for that. The car has this crazy looking design, but then the sound is a little bit tame in comparison.

But they're fixable. I'm thinking of getting a Remus throttle responder that does the same thing as the +r mode, without having to live with the stiffened suspension. And a new exhaust system is also a possibility in the future.

Other than that the car is fantastic. Love how this ging just goes. Almost no turbo lag, and once over 3000rpm this thing just starts pulling and doesn't let go. the handling is fantastic, the seats are fantastic, driving position is excellent,....

And the looks? Yeah it's kinda a love it or hate it kinda thing. When I saw it for the first time I fell in love, but then my gf thinks it's incredibly ugly. And that's fine, I can live with it when people don't like the looks. I'm the one driving it though and I think it looks fantastic. Much better than the FK8 imho.

3A0A8550
by Bram's Videogame Imaging, on Flickr

3A0A8549

3A0A8557

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
With the four banger Supra announced I don't know if I'll hold out for that as I'm super interested in it. My four choices at the end of the year are: Miata, Golf R, Type R, Supra 2.0T. It's all going to boil down to the price on the supra but I don't see it being over 40k.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
1st year Supra owners got rekt out of this world with yesterday's announcement. Imagine paying over sticker lol Whew