• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
FK2 looks like a rodent imo. Lol.
What if I went with two cars, Miata and Corolla Hatch, and boost the Miata to make it even more funsies. Getting them used I'd be looking under 40k for both.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
According to the press release it is different though with different pistons, compression rate and exhaust manifold. Not to mention the suspension being changed up.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Recently traded in my 208 GTI for something new. There were a few contenders like the Focus RS, Megane RS, Golf R, but I stumbled on an FK2 Type R ad by chance. I suddenly remembered that the FK8 was not the first type R in years, it was the FK2. It had a decent price, went in to look at the dealer and fell in love. Couple of days later I made the decision to go for it.

Still so happy with my decision, car's a hoot to drive. If there's 2 things I would have love to have seen better it's the soundtrack and the fact that you can't customize the +R mode. I love how the accelerator response improves but the stiffened dampers aren't really useable on the average road. A shame.
And the sound isn't that bad, but it's a shame that Honda didn't go the extra mile for that. The car has this crazy looking design, but then the sound is a little bit tame in comparison.

But they're fixable. I'm thinking of getting a Remus throttle responder that does the same thing as the +r mode, without having to live with the stiffened suspension. And a new exhaust system is also a possibility in the future.

Other than that the car is fantastic. Love how this ging just goes. Almost no turbo lag, and once over 3000rpm this thing just starts pulling and doesn't let go. the handling is fantastic, the seats are fantastic, driving position is excellent,....

And the looks? Yeah it's kinda a love it or hate it kinda thing. When I saw it for the first time I fell in love, but then my gf thinks it's incredibly ugly. And that's fine, I can live with it when people don't like the looks. I'm the one driving it though and I think it looks fantastic. Much better than the FK8 imho.

3A0A8550
by Bram's Videogame Imaging, on Flickr

3A0A8549

3A0A8557

I got an FK8 and I think the FK2 looks better! How's the sound compare? Since we never got this model I really haven't read up about it at all. Only thing I can say is the newer car is a lot more usable size-wise.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I wasn't expecting a turbo 4 Supra. If I were to buy one the first thing I'd do is replace the trunk lid and add a new spoiler. The butt is not flattering with that duck tail

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Eying a really good spec'ed 14 Cayman S for 47k. Tempted as hell to do it. I just wonder if the 4.0 GTS models are a one time thing. Supposedly next gen cayman's will be some sort of hybrid so I don't know if I'm better off waiting. It's just so hard to find these models with decent options. Most are dealer spec trash.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Maybe they'll drop a stick in it for the 2022 model. Can't really say I blame them when stick doesn't sell as well as the auto and the manual take rate for a 86 is about 35% if I remember correctly. There's no way this car isn't going to be refined each year and have more shit added to it over time.

I don't really care about them not being manual either. Don't get me wrong, if there's a manual version I'd pick it up over an auto but no manual won't stop me from buying a car. Most people who complain aren't buying one anyways so 🤷🏽‍♂️.

what I wonder is, since we are getting a 2.0t Supra, where does that leave a next gen 86 in terms of power/pricing. And will we ever get an MR2 due to this as well. Where would that even slot in terms of pricing.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they'll drop a stick in it for the 2022 model. Can't really say I blame them when stick doesn't sell as well as the auto and the manual take rate for a 86 is about 35% if I remember correctly. There's no way this car isn't going to be refined each year and have more shit added to it over time.

I don't really care about them not being manual either. Don't get me wrong, if there's a manual version I'd pick it up over an auto but no manual won't stop me from buying a car. Most people who complain aren't buying one anyways so 🤷🏽‍♂️.

what I wonder is, since we are getting a 2.0t Supra, where does that leave a next gen 86 in terms of power/pricing. And will we ever get an MR2 due to this as well. Where would that even slot in terms of pricing.
Is that 35% worldwide or USA only? Seems crazy to me but I'm UK (and while I am indeed needlessly complaining since I doubt I would buy a Mk5 Supra, I did buy a manual 86! The lack of manual does push that from "very unlikely" to "absolutely never", though).

A 2.4L NA BRZ/86 is rumoured, guess we'll see if that becomes a reality. Not sure what I'd do if it does appear soon.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Is that 35% worldwide or USA only? Seems crazy to me but I'm UK (and while I am indeed needlessly complaining since I doubt I would buy a Mk5 Supra, I did buy a manual 86! The lack of manual does push that from "very unlikely" to "absolutely never", though).

A 2.4L NA BRZ/86 is rumoured, guess we'll see if that becomes a reality. Not sure what I'd do if it does appear soon.
I believe it's US only which makes sense. The BRZ manual take rate is much higher though at about 56%

yeah the next one is rumored to be on Toyota's platform so I guess we'll see what they have up their sleeve.

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
I got an FK8 and I think the FK2 looks better! How's the sound compare? Since we never got this model I really haven't read up about it at all. Only thing I can say is the newer car is a lot more usable size-wise.

Sound is pretty much the same. Pretty tame but once you floor it high in the rpm's it makes a pretty decent sound.

Don't underestimate the size of the fk2. It looks smaller but storage space is very decent with a 500l boot. Everyone's always so surprised when they look in to the boot.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So the electric Mustang doesn't actually look too bad. And the standard has a 280 mile range so would be workable for my 150 mile round trip commute.

Though sadly comes out a few months too late for me as my current car is up in June :(

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
get a second opinion from another mechanic!

A used cat replacement shouldn't be more than like $1k even in a high COL area for a car like the Matrix. It also might just have a bad sensor but there's more money in selling and installing a cat because it'll take only a bit longer than a sensor and they have to use a senior tech for both but the cat replacement (w/ the sensors too) has way more repair book value.

There's no timing belt, it has a chain, what on earth is driving the other $3k estimate?

These cars are pretty bulletproof as cars go. Curious to know what everything else added up to. Stuff like random minor seepage getting the "replace main seal/all valve cover gaskets" or some random suspension grease meaning that you need to replace a CV axle or two.

So this is a 2008 Toyota Matrix @ 140k miles. I was taking to a Toyota dealer repair directly. Overall the car has not given me any major problems in the last ~10 years, except the computer was replaced but that was while the car was still on warranty.

They were asking $2000 for a cat claiming it was hit by something and damaged, but it seems like that I should look for a used one for much cheaper and I need to confirm it is not the sensor.

The other stuff on the repair cost:
Drive belt replacement. (Is this different from the chain?)
Front headlight bulbs (broken).
Both front break pads.
Engine and cabin filters.
Wiper blades.
They also suggested something called Throttle Body Service and Fuel Injection Cleaning Service but I thought that was BS.

I assume CV axle and suspension system may be something I need to be careful of going forward given the mileage on the car?

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
The engine and cabin filters are super simple to replace if you're willing to do it yourself. Same as the windshield wipers. Save a few bucks there. What measurements they give you for your brakes? Also. What is the labor rate at the shop you're going to?

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
RIP.
I love seeing Chevy SS's with Holden badges around here. There's a guy who dailies his and see it often around work. One guy once brought his Holden Ute to drop off his wife that was picking up her Land Cruiser. Guy didn't want to tell us how he got it over here but I'm guessing it cost a lot.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that's a huge shame. One of the things I love about the world is the variety and uniqueness of various countries vehicles, and this is a large reduction in that. Sad for the staff now out of work too of course. Many of these twitters are saying "GM is basically done with right-hand drive", so perhaps the end of Vauxhall in UK too?!? I have a hard time believing that, but with brexit who knows...

Where else are you going to see amazing Utes like this:

EQ8bGd5U0AEO_MF

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
New car got delivered today, the interior's so much nicer than anything I've ever owned before

20200217_114026.jpg

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
^^ very nice pictures and congrats on the new car Kromeo.

just got back from Carmel and was stuck behind a Hellcat Redeye. That thing is so badass. He floored it a couple of times and it sounded glorious.
Took the nice scenic routes in Monterey/ Carmel and then went by Laguna seca and drove through Laureles Grade on my way to go hike. It was a very nice road although short.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Is there no way to use Android Auto wirelessly? I'm not really seein great benefit of it other compared to just connecting the phone to the car through bluetooth, other than voice commands which I don't use anyway. it also seems to disable the touchpad on the streering wheel apart from anything else

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So this is a 2008 Toyota Matrix @ 140k miles. I was taking to a Toyota dealer repair directly. Overall the car has not given me any major problems in the last ~10 years, except the computer was replaced but that was while the car was still on warranty.

They were asking $2000 for a cat claiming it was hit by something and damaged, but it seems like that I should look for a used one for much cheaper and I need to confirm it is not the sensor.

The other stuff on the repair cost:
Drive belt replacement. (Is this different from the chain?)
Front headlight bulbs (broken).
Both front break pads.
Engine and cabin filters.
Wiper blades.
They also suggested something called Throttle Body Service and Fuel Injection Cleaning Service but I thought that was BS.

I assume CV axle and suspension system may be something I need to be careful of going forward given the mileage on the car?

This is all IMO from a perspective of doing some light shadetree mechanics in my time:

Matrix is timing chain IIRC. It's not technically impossible for chains to need replacement but it's quite rare compared to the typical 100k miles for an actual timing belt. I would challenge them on to why they think the chain should be replaced. I'm not sure the spec for this engine but it's typically a number relating how much slack there is at one point or how many links there are between a reference point (i.e.: Honda's K engines should have 9 links between two markings on the camshaft sprockets at top dead centre). If they can't give you an actual reason or specification to judge against I would tell them to pound sand.

Bulbs, cabin filters and wipers are easily done IMO but depends on your comfort level. Pads are also straightforward and if they have never been changed yet in your 10 years of ownership I don't think they are pulling your leg on that one.

You can cheap out on fuel injector service by using those fuel additives. I've never used any myself personally but have heard good things for injectors that are not completely fucked. Literally just buy a bottle of STP Fuel Injector cleaner and throw it in the tank as a maintenance item. If they actually clean the injectors by taking them out and properly cleaning them it can be a good service to do but more along the lines of a nice-to-do versus a must-do. I would wait for if the car starts to feel sluggish are gives check engine lights/codes before getting to the point of removing injectors.

Throttle body service is again another nice-to-do IMO. Generally it's cleaning of the throttle body itself (the valve that is actually linked to the throttle to control how much air gets in the engine). It's not a bad thing to do, as it's a butterfly valve that does get some crud eventually in it but it's again something you could do if comfortable. Buy some cleaner, take off the intake tubing going to the throttle body, spray the shit inside and wipe. Older cars with steel cables connecting the throttle pedal to the throttle body can adjust the tension in the cable to keep it nice and responsive. But if the Matrix is electrically connected between the throttle pedal and body it's literally cleaning for the most part.

The catalytic converter is the biggest cost unfortunately and if it's hit probably prudent to eventually change. I agree with trying used/aftermarket and in diagnosing if it's the sensor/wiring. $2000 on this mechanics word when they are already trying to pile on a lot of extra services is suspect.

-----

Bought a blow-off valve, a HKS SSQV4. Always loved the sound of these things. Slowly getting the turbo build in place on the EP3. I think by the end of the year I would actually be ready to install. I found someone who did a similar build (log manifold, smaller turbo (T04E), VTEC killer head and a K20A3 bottom end) without some of the extras I'd be doing and they're almost 350hp/300tq on 12psi of boost. I think that will be enough for me for now until I bone up some other aspects of the car.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As much as I'm absolutely loving my C43 AMG, I'm now eyeing the E63S S AMG as my next purchase. Either way, that AMG sound with AWD has me hooked. Just want to savour the V8 equivalent now lol.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Matrix is timing chain IIRC. It's not technically impossible for chains to need replacement but it's quite rare compared to the typical 100k miles for an actual timing belt. I would challenge them on to why they think the chain should be replaced. I'm not sure the spec for this engine but it's typically a number relating how much slack there is at one point or how many links there are between a reference point (i.e.: Honda's K engines should have 9 links between two markings on the camshaft sprockets at top dead centre). If they can't give you an actual reason or specification to judge against I would tell them to pound sand.

The catalytic converter is the biggest cost unfortunately and if it's hit probably prudent to eventually change. I agree with trying used/aftermarket and in diagnosing if it's the sensor/wiring. $2000 on this mechanics word when they are already trying to pile on a lot of extra services is suspect.

For the drive belt he might be thinking of the serpentine belt for the a/c, alternator, ect. At least that would make sense.

For the cat, I'd just go to an exhaust shop and see what they can do.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For the drive belt he might be thinking of the serpentine belt for the a/c, alternator, ect. At least that would make sense.

For the cat, I'd just go to an exhaust shop and see what they can do.

That's true. If it's this kind of drive belt and it's never been changed in the 10 years of ownership I would probably give it legitimate thought to change it.

I keep forgetting about exhaust shops lol. Typically pretty cheap for the work done and very flexible. You can bring your own parts and they'll put it in no problem.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
So carmax offered me 18k for my S5, which matches what kbb gave me in their estimate online. I'm waiting for the 981 CS to arrive so that I can inspect it and take it for a drive before deciding if I want to go through with the purchase.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Unless I'm missing something Mercedes doesn't let you permanently turn off the lane departure thing, a few times now its activated when I've been in the middle of the lane, and it doesn't just beep, it slightly applies the brakes on one side of the car... less annoying but it also doesn't seem to let you save what dynamic mode you want the car to be in between drives..

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm, so Tesla Model 3 with 20,000 miles per year from £546/month. Which sounds a lot, but my fuel bill is currently £200-300/month due to a 150 mile round trip commute 3 times per week in a Diesel Audi TT (which I'm paying £486/month for) which will be drastically reduced to something like £50-100/month in electricity, if that.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, so Tesla Model 3 with 20,000 miles per year from £546/month. Which sounds a lot, but my fuel bill is currently £200-300/month due to a 150 mile round trip commute 3 times per week in a Diesel Audi TT (which I'm paying £486/month for) which will be drastically reduced to something like £50-100/month in electricity, if that.
How many weeks per year would that commute be?
52*150*3=23,400 miles

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
How many weeks per year would that commute be?
52*150*3=23,400 miles
I get 7 or 8 weeks of Annual Leave per year, every 4th week I only commute twice per week instead of three times and sometimes I'll travel with work to other offices and spend a week there, which is a journey by train.

My Audi is coming up on 4 years old in July and hasn't quite done 70,000 miles, and 2 and a half years of that I was doing the commute more frequently.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Hello Auto-Era.

I'm new to this thread and so is my new car! Last car I've owned was a 2008 Mazda 3. I can't express how happy I am!

I know it's not a V8... but I wanted a car I could commute on daily without paying too much for insurance and gas while still packing a punch.
And oh boy, I've never driven anything above 105bhp.... and having 310 now is literally mindblowing when I put my foot down!

l9j8jrt5mx441.jpg

Amazing car. Any new pictures? My friend is thinking about getting one as well.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone ever get super indecisive? Been looking at the MX-5, BRZ/FR-S, maybe WRX... just getting nervous about committing to the cost of purchase. Looking at only 2014 and newer, up to maybe even new.

MX-5 might be my first choice but to get a newer one (with the hardtop) is not cheap. ~_~

I'm trying hard to fight the urge to buy another practical economy car just because of the difference in cost. Ahhh. I just feel nervous about making the "wrong decision".

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Anyone ever get super indecisive? Been looking at the MX-5, BRZ/FR-S, maybe WRX... just getting nervous about committing to the cost of purchase. Looking at only 2014 and newer, up to maybe even new.

MX-5 might be my first choice but to get a newer one (with the hardtop) is not cheap. ~_~

I'm trying hard to fight the urge to buy another practical economy car just because of the difference in cost. Ahhh. I just feel nervous about making the "wrong decision".

Have you ever had a sports car like those before? I was in a similar situation years ago before getting into cars. We can probably help if you tell us more about your preferences. For instance, I've rented all of those cars before and they're all great. I went with something else but I enjoyed my time with them. I even considered one of them time and time again.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Have you ever had a sports car like those before? I was in a similar situation years ago before getting into cars. We can probably help if you tell us more about your preferences. For instance, I've rented all of those cars before and they're all great. I went with something else but I enjoyed my time with them. I even considered one of them time and time again.
Owned? No I haven't. Closest would be a 1991 CRX I had the last couple of years which was fun, and a long time ago I had .. 1995 (I think) Ford Probe GT, which was also fun at the time.

I've test driven a lot of cars over the past few months but I don't really wind them out or anything on the test ride (just not my personality). I've just always been interested in cars (and the miatas... but for safety reasons don't want to go for old ones) but I've never had that "sports car experience". Last car we bought was a family hauler/my wife's car (Forester), which has been great. But I'm in the spot where I just need something for myself, and up till now money has been an issue so I've been reluctant to splurge much in general (life of an academic, but just changed careers).

In general I feel more drawn to light cars, preferably RWD, and low power is OK as long as the handling is good. I'd love to take this local "learn to drive on the track" course, but don't have a car for it yet lol.

Thanks!

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eying a really good spec'ed 14 Cayman S for 47k. Tempted as hell to do it. I just wonder if the 4.0 GTS models are a one time thing. Supposedly next gen cayman's will be some sort of hybrid so I don't know if I'm better off waiting. It's just so hard to find these models with decent options. Most are dealer spec trash.

Is it a manual or PDK? Having learned that PDK is non-serviceable makes me not want to ever own one without a warranty. The replacement cost is $17,000.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Owned? No I haven't. Closest would be a 1991 CRX I had the last couple of years which was fun, and a long time ago I had .. 1995 (I think) Ford Probe GT, which was also fun at the time.

I've test driven a lot of cars over the past few months but I don't really wind them out or anything on the test ride (just not my personality). I've just always been interested in cars (and the miatas... but for safety reasons don't want to go for old ones) but I've never had that "sports car experience". Last car we bought was a family hauler/my wife's car (Forester), which has been great. But I'm in the spot where I just need something for myself, and up till now money has been an issue so I've been reluctant to splurge much in general (life of an academic, but just changed careers).

In general I feel more drawn to light cars, preferably RWD, and low power is OK as long as the handling is good. I'd love to take this local "learn to drive on the track" course, but don't have a car for it yet lol.

Thanks!

I totally understand being in that situation. I think only you truly know your own finances so it's always wise to work within your means and not push it too much. I don't like pushing cars on test drives as well unless I'm really serious about a car and I know I'm about 80%-90% sure I'm getting that car. Then I'll test drive various models of the car at a dealership to make sure it's everything I want it to be. However, if you live in an area like San Francisco or Los Angeles where there are a lot of people renting out there cars, then use Turo. It's a great way to rent a car for a day or two and test out the car to see if you like living with it. I've used Turo to rent cars to experience them or teach friends how to drive manuals. It's also how I got to experience the ND MX-5, BRZ, WRX, etc. on top of test drives.

Based on what you are looking for, I think the BRZ/GT-86/FRS will be the most affordable that matches the Rear-Wheel Drive, light weight and superb handling. The same year comparable WRX and MX-5 models will cost more than the BRZ/GT-86/FRS models. I think any of these cars are a safe bet for reliability and costs of repair/maintenance. Maybe think about the Mustang 2015+ Eco-boost or V6 models as well since they're relatively affordable and cost of maintenance isn't as bad as German cars either. All of these cars about 4-5 years old will cost about $13-22K based on which car model and year. But before you shop around, just test drive them or rent them on Turo for a day or two.

For me, I love driving and I don't look at cars as just a point A to point B appliance. I learned over time that I absolutely love these cars and I'll go out of my way to get to my destination just to enjoy the ride a little more. But this isn't something that everyone has. If you just want a car for prestige or to look cool then I don't think it's worth it. But if you enjoy driving, enjoy sharp handling, the emotion of the drive emerges as you take on a corner on the twisty countryside/mountain roads then I think having a great sports car is a great investment into yourself. I look at driving a nice car as therapy sometimes.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
As much as I'm absolutely loving my C43 AMG, I'm now eyeing the E63S S AMG as my next purchase. Either way, that AMG sound with AWD has me hooked. Just want to savour the V8 equivalent now lol.
Yesssss, nib95 - now the Merc fever will infect you for life as it has to us.

ed29bf74-ec42-4818-9lvjbk.jpeg

Is there no way to use Android Auto wirelessly? I'm not really seein great benefit of it other compared to just connecting the phone to the car through bluetooth, other than voice commands which I don't use anyway. it also seems to disable the touchpad on the streering wheel apart from anything else
Congrats btw - that interior is my favorite part of the new CLA/A class. What is yours? A CLA? If so, you should check out the MercedesCLA.org forum. You can get a pretty good answer and potential workarounds for that problem.
Unless I'm missing something Mercedes doesn't let you permanently turn off the lane departure thing, a few times now its activated when I've been in the middle of the lane, and it doesn't just beep, it slightly applies the brakes on one side of the car... less annoying but it also doesn't seem to let you save what dynamic mode you want the car to be in between drives..
You def can, it's a setting you get to from the steering wheel controls - but that was the case before the full digital dash. I'm 100% positive you can disable it tho, not sure where you would look - but I would start with the steering wheel controlled menu

Last edited:

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesssss, nib95 - now the Merc fever will infect you for life as it has to us.

ed29bf74-ec42-4818-9lvjbk.jpeg

Congrats btw - that interior is my favorite part of the new CLA/A class. What is yours? A CLA? If so, you should check out the MercedesCLA.org forum. You can get a pretty good answer and potential workarounds for that problem.

You def can, it's a setting you get to from the steering wheel controls - but that was the case before the full digital dash. I'm 100% positive you can disable it tho, not sure where you would look - but I would start with the steering wheel controlled menu

You're my arch enemy lol.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Is it a manual or PDK? Having learned that PDK is non-serviceable makes me not want to ever own one without a warranty. The replacement cost is $17,000.

PDK, I picked it up on Saturday and it started raining as soon as I got the keys lol This thing sounds insane when the tach hits 7000+. YouTube videos didn't quite prepare me for how good it sounds. Here's a dirty shot in some out of town empty roads.

14 981 CS with PSE, Sport Steering wheel, SC, full leather interior black/tan

d8faf03f-4a4c-4e2d-9r2kt5.jpeg

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks!
If it helps I bought a '17 facelift GT86 (so BRZ/FR-S mostly in USA) a couple of years ago with similar thoughts, and while I have yet to take it round my local circuit (maybe this summer!) I still very much enjoy it's incredible handling and it leaves me with a smile every time I drive it. No regrets so far!

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PDK, I picked it up on Saturday and it started raining as soon as I got the keys lol This thing sounds insane when the tach hits 7000+. YouTube videos didn't quite prepare me for how good it sounds. Here's a dirty shot in some out of town empty roads.

14 981 CS with PSE, Sport Steering wheel, SC, full leather interior black/tan

d8faf03f-4a4c-4e2d-9r2kt5.jpeg

Congrats, the 981 is the generation to get.