• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
would be nice if someone does it

a discord just wrecks the traffic in the thread. I feel like the thread is better. Discord will inevitably have a bunch of OT chatter and stuff like questions, pics, etc will get lost in the noise. Thread only is better for participation and for others to wander in and start posting. With a discord, the thread becomes a ghost town and less people see it. It's happened with every ERA community that I am in. It turns your community thread into a more insular discord community, and the thread starts dying. I wouldn't.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever get super indecisive? Been looking at the MX-5, BRZ/FR-S, maybe WRX... just getting nervous about committing to the cost of purchase. Looking at only 2014 and newer, up to maybe even new.

MX-5 might be my first choice but to get a newer one (with the hardtop) is not cheap. ~_~

I'm trying hard to fight the urge to buy another practical economy car just because of the difference in cost. Ahhh. I just feel nervous about making the "wrong decision".
That's me... I like my Mazda 3 but I know I want a sportier car, but rumors of a new gen BRZ have me hesitant to jump in right now and there is no market for MX-5s in my area.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
a discord just wrecks the traffic in the thread. I feel like the thread is better. Discord will inevitably have a bunch of OT chatter and stuff like questions, pics, etc will get lost in the noise. Thread only is better for participation and for others to wander in and start posting. With a discord, the thread becomes a ghost town and less people see it. It's happened with every ERA community that I am in. It turns your community thread into a more insular discord community, and the thread starts dying. I wouldn't.
Well said.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I keep trying to see what I could get for my 2000 Civic Si (EM1) in order to move on to a FRS/BRZ/86. I do love the car it's just... I've wanted a FRS since before launch, following the long tease on the development to the car. The decision came between getting a FRS or going back to school. I went back to school, and I think it was the right decision, but the desire for the 86 never left.

I think if I clean up the EM1 a bit more (got a noisy accessory belt pulley somewhere, a leaky oil pan and trailing arm bushings to definitely do) I could probably get over halfway easily. Cheap FRSes are like 10-12k in my area; I threw a feeler out for my EM1 for 6k and my phone lit up. The EM1 still feels incredible, and refreshing rubber bits will give it even more life. But everytime I drive it in the winter I die a little inside. I feel like I'm hurting it and ruining the value lol.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
You got a 2016 right? i've been a little apprensive about going with a 16 over a 17 of 18 because i heard the 16s have weaker transmissions that got revised for the following years...

yeah, but those transmissions get replaced under warranty if you have one of the 5% of them or whatever that are bad. I would just buy a newer model, tho. You can get a 17 or 18 for right around 20k. Cheap!

Carvana good? I think that's what I'll end up using when I get my next car which is between the RF Miata and a Type R

Yep. i've bought my last 2 cars from them, and my sister's family purchased their cars from them as well. Prices well below used lots for the most part, you get a week or 400 miles to "try" the car out/have it inspected and if you don't want it, you get your money back no questions asked. It's great.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just like discord as its a more private place to chat/share than forums, but this is just my opinion

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
This has been such a blast to drive. I wish I could live in the 5000 to 7800 rpm range cause, man, what it sound. I also wasn't expecting sport plus to be so aggressive, the gear change is aggressive as fuck, I did not expect that kick. I might use sport plus here and there to enter the freeway but that's about it. Sport is good enough for me 99% of the time.

I already have radiator grills and clear side led markers on the way. After that I'm going to buy the GTS' rear diffuser and tail lights.

img_26061ugksp.jpg

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
This has been such a blast to drive. I wish I could live in the 5000 to 7800 rpm range cause, man, what it sound. I also wasn't expecting sport plus to be so aggressive, the gear change is aggressive as fuck, I did not expect that kick. I might use sport plus here and there to enter the freeway but that's about it. Sport is good enough for me 99% of the time.

I already have radiator grills and clear side led markers on the way. After that I'm going to buy the GTS' rear diffuser and tail lights.

img_26061ugksp.jpg
Awesome!

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
IMG-b0b948d80c9a65e595c4861fe97ced31-V.jpg
IMG-af24676f794449ac67207ae8566e2517-V.jpg

still waiting for brackets...

as for the interior we are starting it at least a sample for the back seats

2020-02-28_15-34-11.jpg

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Is there a separate Tesla OT for questions with those? I searched but nothing's coming up. I got a Model 3 this week and I'm loving it but holy crap this thing's OS feels more buggy than PC gaming.

So far in 4 days here's all the glitches I've run into. Resetting the OS (takes about 20 seconds) has fully fixed it each time.

-Got in car first night and rear view camera was just a black screen with no image.
-New Feb update added ability to text, half the time I go to my contacts the text icon that lets you text isn't there, only call & address navigation. Had this happen about 3 times so far. Definitely seems like the new feature needs more patching.
-Last night I pulled up my contacts and it was blank and they had all disappeared.
-This morning I went to unplug the charge plug and it wouldn't unplug so I couldn't drive away. I pressed the button on the plug which is supposed to make the light blue for safe unplug but it didn't. I googled and it said use the app or car OS to "unlock charge port" and pressing that turned it blue and I could pull it out.
-I use my phone Tesla app to unlock my car as a key and about 2 times so far it hasn't worked and I've had to use the actual key to open it.

So yeah, that's all fairly minor stuff and a 20 second reset of the OS fixes, but my feeling so far is that it's pretty obvious that the OS is glaringly still a work in progress and as buggy as an early iOS/Android OS needs a lot of patching as the upgraded features keep getting added.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Is there a separate Tesla OT for questions with those? I searched but nothing's coming up. I got a Model 3 this week and I'm loving it but holy crap this thing's OS feels more buggy than PC gaming.

So far in 4 days here's all the glitches I've run into. Resetting the OS (takes about 20 seconds) has fully fixed it each time.

-Got in car first night and rear view camera was just a black screen with no image.
-New Feb update added ability to text, half the time I go to my contacts the text icon that lets you text isn't there, only call & address navigation. Had this happen about 3 times so far. Definitely seems like the new feature needs more patching.
-Last night I pulled up my contacts and it was blank and they had all disappeared.
-This morning I went to unplug the charge plug and it wouldn't unplug so I couldn't drive away. I pressed the button on the plug which is supposed to make the light blue for safe unplug but it didn't. I googled and it said use the app or car OS to "unlock charge port" and pressing that turned it blue and I could pull it out.
-I use my phone Tesla app to unlock my car as a key and about 2 times so far it hasn't worked and I've had to use the actual key to open it.

So yeah, that's all fairly minor stuff and a 20 second reset of the OS fixes, but my feeling so far is that it's pretty obvious that the OS is glaringly still a work in progress and as buggy as an early iOS/Android OS needs a lot of patching as the upgraded features keep getting added.

there is

www.resetera.com

Tesla Model 3 |OT| Shoot into Space if Old

Model 3 owners, come hither. Gather 'round the light, 'for I have despairing news to tell. All your Model 3's got delayed. And this will not be the last time this happens. Mine now says "Mid 2018". Before it used to say April-Jun 2018.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
P_20200303_132751.jpg
P_20200303_132806.jpg

thinking of converting to ITB also gonna inspect the engine if everything is on running order

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
P_20200303_132751.jpg
P_20200303_132806.jpg

thinking of converting to ITB also gonna inspect the engine if everything is on running order
That's gorgeous. Too bad you can't see it normally.

I find it hard to believe that fan is effective when it is mounted to high! Obviously it is...but then again, there's a reason they switched to water cooling.

I love that the gears in the transmission are mounted on the other side of the axles to pull the engine closer to the body. Amazing packaging.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've never actually seen a flat-orientation engine out of car. t h i c c b o i s

Keep us updated!
sure thing!, I'll hopefully get the rear seat sample work first thing next week

That's gorgeous. Too bad you can't see it normally.

I find it hard to believe that fan is effective when it is mounted to high! Obviously it is...but then again, there's a reason they switched to water cooling.

I love that the gears in the transmission are mounted on the other side of the axles to pull the engine closer to the body. Amazing packaging.

yea, was really surprised when I saw it for the first time on actual.. the car is a 86 so it has a 915 gearbox rather a G50

I'm really conflicted if I would want to invest on an PMO ITB or postpone that until next year! been spending on a-lot of things plus I'm thinking of buying a newish car in the near future

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
sure thing!, I'll hopefully get the rear seat sample work first thing next week

yea, was really surprised when I saw it for the first time on actual.. the car is a 86 so it has a 915 gearbox rather a G50

I'm really conflicted if I would want to invest on an PMO ITB or postpone that until next year! been spending on a-lot of things plus I'm thinking of buying a newish car in the near future
I assume the ITBs really affect the immediacy of the throttle? I can believe that, given the length of those runners. I like mods that you can really feel. That would be a lot of fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Would love to gather some thoughts on this...

I have a C8 on preorder. Right now, I'm #150 in line at my dealership and they have been getting about 70 orders in each month per allocation from Chevy. 2020 orders will stop going in at the end of April before they shift to 2021 and probably increases in pricing. I'm literally on the cusp of April if they stick to the 70 per month allocation which they have been over the last couple months. I would need 10 people to drop out to ensure this. If I wait, my car will go into production probably around August.

This is all if COVID-19 doesn't ruin things in Bowling Green or parts in China. I would buy the car as Corvette's are terrible to lease which means some heftier monthly payments but it's not the end of the world. But I've leased my last 10 years worth of cars because I like to hop into new things fairly frequently.

The other option I have is a Jaguar F-Type R. Found a great deal for one nearby on a lease deal. It is a 2020 (Dark Blue) which isn't my #1 color choice but it's hard to find Jags in vibrant colors as I'm sure Jag knows they don't sell or resale well so they don't make many. I do love F-Type's. Kind of a dream car and I think they look great. They sound AMAZING. It's one thing the C8 is killing me on... the lack of sound and I'd hate to aftermarket and kill my warranty on a new C8 to fix that.

The other factors are that the C8 will be a head turner for sure but for how long? I love uniqueness in cars and Corvette's sell about 15x-20x the volume of F-Types in North America. Also the Jag comes with a better warranty that includes service and is a lease so I can hop out of it after a few years.

2020 F-Type's are a bit dated in terms of interior tech though. C8's have way better tech. The 2021 F-Type will but I know the lease offers won't be as great as the exiting model which is on some heavy incentives right now.

Help :(

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
If you care about uniqueness, the corvette will be old news after like 2 months. Or at least where I live where you see them all the time and they're nothing special.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean the F Type is your "dream car" go for it and imo I like the outgoing F type looks than the upcoming one

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Would love to gather some thoughts on this...

I have a C8 on preorder. Right now, I'm #150 in line at my dealership and they have been getting about 70 orders in each month per allocation from Chevy. 2020 orders will stop going in at the end of April before they shift to 2021 and probably increases in pricing. I'm literally on the cusp of April if they stick to the 70 per month allocation which they have been over the last couple months. I would need 10 people to drop out to ensure this. If I wait, my car will go into production probably around August.

This is all if COVID-19 doesn't ruin things in Bowling Green or parts in China. I would buy the car as Corvette's are terrible to lease which means some heftier monthly payments but it's not the end of the world. But I've leased my last 10 years worth of cars because I like to hop into new things fairly frequently.

The other option I have is a Jaguar F-Type R. Found a great deal for one nearby on a lease deal. It is a 2020 (Dark Blue) which isn't my #1 color choice but it's hard to find Jags in vibrant colors as I'm sure Jag knows they don't sell or resale well so they don't make many. I do love F-Type's. Kind of a dream car and I think they look great. They sound AMAZING. It's one thing the C8 is killing me on... the lack of sound and I'd hate to aftermarket and kill my warranty on a new C8 to fix that.

The other factors are that the C8 will be a head turner for sure but for how long? I love uniqueness in cars and Corvette's sell about 15x-20x the volume of F-Types in North America. Also the Jag comes with a better warranty that includes service and is a lease so I can hop out of it after a few years.

2020 F-Type's are a bit dated in terms of interior tech though. C8's have way better tech. The 2021 F-Type will but I know the lease offers won't be as great as the exiting model which is on some heavy incentives right now.

Help :(

F-Type. You don't even have to see the car to know that something special is around the corner with that exhaust. You might regret the c8 after you start running into a bunch of them. I see a ton of stingrays everyday and an F-Type once in a blue moon. I had my eyes set on a 981CS for a long time and when the c8 was revealed I debated getting that instead but in the end I just went with what I truly wanted. Once I got over the specs of the c8, it was an easy decision to go back to wanting that Porsche.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
So I've heard the horror stories but are BMW's that bad with reliability?

I have been wanting a second car as a project car/ weekend vehicle and have really been looking hard at 2009-2015 3 Series.

Most have higher mileage (60-100k) which is expected but would it be worth taking a gamble or buying one as long as it isn't a primary vehicle?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So I've heard the horror stories but are BMW's that bad with reliability?

I have been wanting a second car as a project car/ weekend vehicle and have really been looking hard at 2009-2015 3 Series.

Most have higher mileage (60-100k) which is expected but would it be worth taking a gamble or buying one as long as it isn't a primary vehicle?

If its not a primary vehicle then it doesn't really matter. At least that's my opinion as someone who has multiple non-running cars at the moment.

I would do your research though, because bmw's after early-mid 2000's got worse in regards to reliability.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Labour intensive but gorgeous.

Finished a bunch of shit on the F150 from my last update. Installed a new tailgate, bed lights, installed everything back in the interior, and finished the plugs and coil packs. I broke a bolt on installing a fuel pressure sensor but it had two and I put some gasoline-resistant gasket maker on the mating surface to stop leaks temporarily till I get a new fuel rail.

Started it up today and it sounds so much better. Isles beautifully, far better than before. On acceleration I hear what I think is a knocking/pinging from the left side of the engine. There was a lean code from this bank before I started all the repairs which I think is the pinging. So now I need to chase a vacuum leak. A first look at fuel trims doesn't seem to suggest so, though...

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Not sure if this is quite the right place to ask, but my 2007 Prius was hit by a falling tree over the weekend. Windshield looks like a spider web and there's some denting in the frame on both the driver and passenger side around the windshield. With around 130k miles on the thing I'm expecting the prognosis isn't good when the body shop comes to pick it up tomorrow morning.

I'm not really a car enthusiast by any stretch of the imagination so I'm not looking for anything super fancy or expensive. My last two vehicles were the Prius and a Subaru Outback so I'd like to stick with a hatchback and preferably a hybrid of some sort. I'm currently interested in a Kia Niro, Hyundai Ioniq or another Prius as a replacement. If anyone has any experience with the Ioniq or Niro I'd be interested to hear more about them. Or people have a recommendation for other hatchback hybrids to consider.

Also, which is the better place to shop: Carmax or Carvana? I have no experience with either of them but I'd prefer to avoid dealerships this time around and buying (gently) used kind of appeals to me right these days (even though I can afford to buy new if necessary).

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is quite the right place to ask, but my 2007 Prius was hit by a falling tree over the weekend. Windshield looks like a spider web and there's some denting in the frame on both the driver and passenger side around the windshield. With around 130k miles on the thing I'm expecting the prognosis isn't good when the body shop comes to pick it up tomorrow morning.

I'm not really a car enthusiast by any stretch of the imagination so I'm not looking for anything super fancy or expensive. My last two vehicles were the Prius and a Subaru Outback so I'd like to stick with a hatchback and preferably a hybrid of some sort. I'm currently interested in a Kia Niro, Hyundai Ioniq or another Prius as a replacement. If anyone has any experience with the Ioniq or Niro I'd be interested to hear more about them. Or people have a recommendation for other hatchback hybrids to consider.

Also, which is the better place to shop: Carmax or Carvana? I have no experience with either of them but I'd prefer to avoid dealerships this time around and buying (gently) used kind of appeals to me right these days (even though I can afford to buy new if necessary).

+1 for Carvana. My last 2 cars have been from Carvana, and both my sister's cars have come from them. Super easy to deal with.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
So I kept the OEM wheels from my S5 when I sold it and now I'm wondering where's the best place to sell these things? I could use the money I get from them to get the GTS tail lights and rear diffuser.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid detailing question: When applying a modern polymer paint sealant by hand, is it best to put it on with a swirling, circular motion or back and forth in long, straight strokes?

I'm going to use Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection for the first time, but the bottle just says to apply a thin coat with a foam applicator.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So I kept the OEM wheels from my S5 when I sold it and now I'm wondering where's the best place to sell these things? I could use the money I get from them to get the GTS tail lights and rear diffuser.

By S5 I assume you mean Audi S5 right? I would suggest a VW/Audi forum. There's also facebook groups or if you don't mind weirdo's there's always craigslist

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So last week me and a bunch of friends booked a weekend away at this country Manor, which happened to have some incredible roads all around that were near empty, so we did a fair amount of hard spirited driving (basically racing around country lanes).

My C43 AMG is a fast car (Draggy puts me at 0-60 in 4.1s), but I still desire faster (eyes on the E63S). A little less so after I drove in the Model 3 Performance (brand new) and saw how impractical such speed can be lol.

It does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds with AWD which is eye wateringly fast in real life. Infact, it's so fast it actually feels like a continuous roller coaster that after a while gives you discomfort, specifically a bit of neck pain along with a headache.

Suffice to say, I'm no longer lusting after 0-60 in 3 seconds as much as I was before, because simply put such speed is not comfortable over a slightly prolonged period of time or daily driving (I daily drive my C43 in Sport+), though it is really fun in short bursts.

I honestly feel like Teslas need another mode in between Sport and Chill that locks the 0-60 to 3.8 seconds or something, instead of being either 3.2s or 6.9s, which is too much of a difference.

Anyway, it turns out there can actually be such a thing as too fast lol. It's insane that massive saloons are hitting 0-60 in 3s these days. Literally super car speeds.

Side note, whilst I love the Model 3's speed and simplicity, I massively missed the fanfare and theatre of not just a more rawkus engine and exhaust notes, but also the feeling of gear shifts and the pops, bangs, crackles that go with them, not to mention a more flamboyant interior with actual tactile buttons.

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bought probably the biggest part of the turbo build...the turbo! A classic Garrett T3/T4 hybrid. A power adder has been a dream for a very long time, across multiple cars. It feels good to finally take this step.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I didn't realize how cheap a used BMW i8 is in comparison to their new price. Some of the 2016s are in the 50s. Prolly costs a fortune to own though.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
did you say s5!? i hear thats a 190mph car!

some guy rolled up on my asking to race for pinks, i leaned back in my seat to see his s5 badge and said "sure, i can take you" to which he laughed and said in his best biff tanner impression "this is a 190 mph car!"

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
did you say s5!? i hear thats a 190mph car!

some guy rolled up on my asking to race for pinks, i leaned back in my seat to see his s5 badge and said "sure, i can take you" to which he laughed and said in his best biff tanner impression "this is a 190 mph car!"

Hahaha you should've spanked him just for fun.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
btw updating people that we halted the build for the porsche since march 15 hence the lack of updates

I won't restart it until i know that the workers would be safe from the ongoing virus.. some parts arrived tho like the Electronic AC from classicretrofit

but this wont be installed until towards the end of the build

really wanted to finish this before end of april but safety and health must be the priority

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
btw updating people that we halted the build for the porsche since march 15 hence the lack of updates

I won't restart it until i know that the workers would be safe from the ongoing virus.. some parts arrived tho like the Electronic AC from classicretrofit

but this wont be installed until towards the end of the build

really wanted to finish this before end of april but safety and health must be the priority

Just a small delay and definitely doing the right thing by installing once this whole mess is out of our lives.