• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JakeG4

Oct 25, 2017
Car Enthusiasts Enter
37127041153_8085c549fe_o.gif

So in recent Car news;

Audi announce their new A7 and it looks spectacular
2019-Audi-A7-front-three-quarter-crop.jpg

2019-Audi-A7-steering-wheel.jpg

BMW's 8 Series concept looks great, but will probably look nothing like this when out of concept.
p90260634_highres.jpg

And praise be to Mercedes for finally sharing that S class interior love with another car
2018-Mercedes-E-Coupe11.jpg

Anyways to get started maybe share a bit of info about what you're driving and what you've drove in the past.

OP
OP
JakeG4

JakeG4

Oct 25, 2017
So as a relatively young driver I don't have much driving history and cars under my belt, but my past cars and current car arent bad.
So my first ever car was a SEAT Ibiza FR a 1.6 TRI
tAc0uMD.jpg

For a first car it wasn't too bad, fairly Torquey and nippy. My second Car was a Mercedes CLA 180 AMG Line, this time a petrol but still a 1.6. These smaller engine cars kept my insirance down as a relatively new driver who didn't want to be paying out of my arse for insurance.
86ZaKHZ.jpg

Slight upgrade from my first the interior was great or so I thought at the time. Self parked as standard which I now miss, although I barely used it to bay park. It was a nice trick to show off to others.
Finally my current car now, and Audi S5 Sportback
yjlTzmW.jpg

7rWR2Xx.jpg

lB9NY6L.jpg

This was delivered a few weeks ago and boyI love driving it. 3.0 litre Turbocharged engine, quick off the line and it flys.

Gritesh

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see an automotive discussion thread is over here now too.

I own a 2015 Subaru sti I'd love to post pictures of it but I can't seem to get the picture posting to work right now.

DronePhysics

Oct 28, 2017
I have been driving a fiesta st for the past 5 months now, what an absolute blast to drive. My first 2 cars were family sedans so the Fiesta has been an amazing experience. I just hope it ends up being as reliable as my previous cars.

That said, since this is the first "sporty" car I have had, I was not ready for the numbskull drivers that this car attracts. I regularly have people trying to race, or driving recklessly around me. Civics and Scion tc's are the main culprits in my area.

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was struggling to find the thread without "Auto" in the title. Half expected it to be a thread on ATVs lol.

Anyway, feelings on Mazda's Tokyo concepts?

The Kai (Future Mazda3)

Mazda-Kai-concept-profile.jpg

Mazda-Kai-concept-cabin-02.jpg

Mazda-Kai-Concept-front-overhead.jpg

horqbvmnh87j2jwtmipg.jpg

Vision Coupe (4 door, maybe Mazda 6? Takes a lot from that beautiful Vision concept)

Mazda-Vision-Coupe-concept-front-three-quarter-02.jpg

Mazda-Vision-Coupe-concept-rear-three-quarter-02-1.jpg

Mazda-Vision-Coupe-concept-tail-light.jpg

Mazda-Vision-Coupe-concept-interior.jpg

I love it all. If they can translate these concepts into production, and even add more powerful options on a more upscale Mazda6 for example, I might be a lifelong customer of Mazdas.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the market for a car in the next six months or so once my current contract is up. Currently have a pretty ordinary BMW 320d (from new, 2015) which to be fair has been solid and really enjoyable to drive. I will definitely be getting another BMW this time (plus I can get mate's rates through someone I know), question is what?

Looking to step up a bit more in terms of spend (whether that's cost of car, running costs or a sensible mix of the two). I do a reasonable amount of miles in the UK (~12k) for work.

I really like the look of the new 5-series, so a 520d is on the table with almost identical running costs. However I've been really tempted by the idea of the M140i - will be a similar price to my current car if I include the adaptive suspension and a few other niceties. I test drove it and it was comfy and really a lot of fun. Obviously thirstier, but I reckon I could live with that. But not so sure on the looks, and I do like bigger cars. The other option is to look at another 3-series but maybe step up the power to a 330d.

I kinda want to be in a position next year to know exactly what I want. I often go looking for cars with too many options in my head and it prevents me from getting the best deals, I reckon.

Anyone got any of these and have an opinion?

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Checking in. Was Agent AA1/Anion on the old site. (Had name changed then)

Reckoner

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the KAI is a really good looking car. Hopefully they keep what makes it so appealing if they translate that to the Mazda3.

In a way, it is what a Tesla would look like with some character.

Last edited:

Duracelllll

Oct 27, 2017
Checking in too. Same username, good to be here! Still have the R34 GT-R which is going good in my 6th year of R34 GT-R ownership.

mygtr.jpg

OP
OP
JakeG4

JakeG4

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Guys,
Been away over the weekend, got the thread name changed so it's a bit easier for others to find now.
nekkid Have you looked at a 2 series?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi Guys,
Been away over the weekend, got the thread name changed so it's a bit easier for others to find now.
nekkid Have you looked at a 2 series?

I'd probably stump up the extra for the M2 if I had the choice, but I've got a couple of young kids, so I need to maintain a level of practicality. My wife has the big car if we need to transport a lot of stuff, so I just need something I can easily get 2 kids in with their seats and stuff in the boot.

I know a 2-series GT is coming out next year, but it's build on the new FWD platform - which is what the new 1-series will also have. Even worse, the new 140i and 240i will be 4 cylinders, as well.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any Ford Focus RS owners here? I'm going to replace my 2013 WRX in the next 6-7 months, and I'm considering the Focus RS, the Golf R, the Subaru STI, and the Audi S3. My biggest concern with the RS/Golf R/Audi S3 is that these are front wheel-biased AWD systems. I hear that they have torque steer under power?

Really want an S3 but that's pushing it price-wise.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any Ford Focus RS owners here? I'm going to replace my 2013 WRX in the next 6-7 months, and I'm considering the Focus RS, the Golf R, the Subaru STI, and the Audi S3. My biggest concern with the RS/Golf R/Audi S3 is that these are front wheel-biased AWD systems. I hear that they have torque steer under power?

Really want an S3 but that's pushing it price-wise.

I've not got one, but I've driven one and they are are good. Does the job well, but a little unrefined. Hard to argue with the price tag, though.

Word of warning, though: I know TWO people who have had their brand new ones stolen in the last 12 months. One from their house and one from a hotel car park by cloning their keyless entry signal from outside their damned room. They're massive targets for theft, apparently.

OP
OP
JakeG4

JakeG4

Oct 25, 2017
Word of warning, though: I know TWO people who have had their brand new ones stolen in the last 12 months. One from their house and one from a hotel car park by cloning their keyless entry signal from outside their damned room. They're massive targets for theft, apparently.
Jesus what an awful story. Kind of makes me glad to not have keyless entry now. I don't know what I'd do if I had my car stolen.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought a 2018 WRX. Love it so much. This car idles really low and rough. 600 rpm at a light, with dips below 500. I have taken it to the dealer twice, and the deem it fine. All I have done is HID's and exhaust, but the idle has always been a problem, even before I started to mess with it. Doing research online, I have seen a lot saying its fine, and just deal with it. Ive had the dealer relern idle, and do an ECU reset. Its still the same. Do I just live with it? Here are some pics with different stages.

api0cYl.jpg

tKgHfGu.jpg

ZonU4UR.jpg

HrWct1i.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've not got one, but I've driven one and they are are good. Does the job well, but a little unrefined. Hard to argue with the price tag, though.

Oh wow. Are you in the US? Usually manual transmission cars aren't stolen that often here.

I'd like to check out the Golf R, test drive that, the RS, and the STI on the same day if possible, but there is like 1 within 100 miles of me. And I wouldn't buy blind without a test drive.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow. Are you in the US? Usually manual transmission cars aren't stolen that often here.

I'd like to check out the Golf R, test drive that, the RS, and the STI on the same day if possible, but there is like 1 within 100 miles of me. And I wouldn't buy blind without a test drive.

I'm in the UK. Sorry, should have clarified that.

Jesus what an awful story. Kind of makes me glad to not have keyless entry now. I don't know what I'd do if I had my car stolen.

That guy was heartbroken - he'd had it about 4 months after having it on order for about 9. He took the cash from the insurance rather than get another one.

The worst thing was the state the police found it in. They'd found it in a raid on a garage, and it had the seats and bodywork taken off (presumably to be sold for a quick quid) and replaced with a Zetec S kit with the matching number plate.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

totally not biased, but you should check out a final edition evo x too :)

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liquidsnake that white looks marvelous! The 2018 made some little changes that make it a better-looking car.

Also, I gotta chime in, I've been watching this Youtube channel and they have some glorious stuff:

Love these cars on this course, and they have some (sadly untimed) supercar videos too.

totally not biased, but you should check out a final edition evo x too :)

The Evo X is amazing, probably still the best AWD system in that segment, but I don't know if I could live with that interior. It's worse than my WRX, and my WRX is terrible. I guess if I wanted an Evo X I'd probably look for a 2014, since IIRC that year still had the Recaros? I do love that car.

Last edited:

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Liquidsnake that white looks marvelous! The 2018 made some little changes that make it a better-looking car.

The Evo X is amazing, probably still the best AWD system in that segment, but I don't know if I could live with that interior. It's worse than my WRX, and my WRX is terrible. I guess if I wanted an Evo X I'd probably look for a 2014, since IIRC that year still had the Recaros? I do love that car.
Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. The car is pretty sweet, except for the idle issue.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not all that picky about that stuff, but you're right. Biggest standouts are laughably cheap Sun visors (like, come on), and limited tweaks to sitting/steering position.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a Jag F-Pace parked next to an Alfa Romeo Stelvio yesterday and it was like a hot chick who hangs out with dumpy girls to boost her self esteem.

Buttons

Oct 31, 2017
Yay the thread is up, I was waiting for it. :D

I think this is a good point for everyone to reintroduce themselves and/or their current cars.

It's been a few weeks since I bought my manual R172 Mercedes SLK and I have been loving every second of it. Never thought it would make such an awesome daily driver. Fuel consumption is on the high side but that was pretty much to be expected when daily driving a roadster in city traffic.
Need to take some new photos but here are some from a few weeks ago.

slk_fun14vuqv.png

slk_fun2f9uy0.png

slk_fun3rtufk.png
slk02f8uky.png

Looking forward to what this thread will bring in the next few months! :)

33-Hit-Combo

Oct 30, 2017
I'm in the UK. Sorry, should have clarified that.

That guy was heartbroken - he'd had it about 4 months after having it on order for about 9. He took the cash from the insurance rather than get another one.

The worst thing was the state the police found it in. They'd found it in a raid on a garage, and it had the seats and bodywork taken off (presumably to be sold for a quick quid) and replaced with a Zetec S kit with the matching number plate.

It's more or less the same story with the M140i/M240i unfortunately, but of course theyre less common and not as many people spec keyless entry. People are having their garden door locks snapped and keys stolen though, so be careful if you go for one of these! I managed to spook two guys trying to break in a few months ago, have since upgraded locks, installed a camera, parked in the garage and now sleep with the alarm armed!

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope it's okay to ask for auto repair advice here.

I drive a 2007 Toyota Yaris (112,000 miles) and for about a year, my belt has been squealing, with it getting a bit worse after the last 6 months or so. It typically occurs when starting the car or when when the car is idle at a traffic light. Recently, Ive had some other symptoms that have started that I'm curious are related to the belt or maybe even the alternator.

It seems to only happen at night when I have the headlights on. I'll be driving down the road and might turn the a/c on. For a split second, the dashboard and headlights will dim and the radio will cut off. If I make a sharp turn, I'll lose power steering. It doesn't ways for this, some nights are fine, while others I have to be careful to keep the a/c and radio off so I won't lose power steering.

Any ideas if the belt could cause this?

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
Man. Did the auto community evaporate?

I found a small chip on my '14 535i the other day and ordered the official bmw Alpine white spot fix kit. I hope i can pull it off without it looking too bad. It's on the edge of the front bumper before the gap across from the hood.

RedValkyrie

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man. Did the auto community evaporate?

I found a small chip on my '14 535i the other day and ordered the official bmw Alpine white spot fix kit. I hope i can pull it off without it looking too bad. It's on the edge of the front bumper before the gap across from the hood.
They're all on SL&ENT.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got a rental 2017 Mazda 6. I think it actually lives up to the hype. The seats are amazing, the engine is willing if not powerful, the handling is sharp, the interior stylish... it's worlds away from the Kia Optima that was my last rental. I wish it had Android Auto :/

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn. I didn't know there was one of these created over here. I tried searching for it last week or so. Subbed.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought a 2018 WRX. Love it so much. This car idles really low and rough. 600 rpm at a light, with dips below 500. I have taken it to the dealer twice, and the deem it fine. All I have done is HID's and exhaust, but the idle has always been a problem, even before I started to mess with it. Doing research online, I have seen a lot saying its fine, and just deal with it. Ive had the dealer relern idle, and do an ECU reset. Its still the same. Do I just live with it? Here are some pics with different stages.

api0cYl.jpg

tKgHfGu.jpg

ZonU4UR.jpg

HrWct1i.jpg

I don't know why my pics disappear. Is it an Imigur issue?

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I drive a Toyota Camry. Nothing exciting but it's extremely reliable, gets great gas mileage, cheap to maintain, low insurance, etc... My previous car was a Camry as well.
I like cars (especially sports cars) but for now I just enjoy reading about them, talking about them, and looking at them but don't actually spend my money on a sports car lol.
I'd love to own a Porsche Cayman or 911 someday though.

Unknown

Oct 29, 2017
I was interested in taking a look at the Chevy Bolt, so I went to the local dealer.
Well, turns out they aren't allowed to sell the bolt here, because they didn't sell enough volts.

Ok then...
Good work GM.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sooo.... while looking at the Superformance Shelby Daytona... I'm kind of thinking of putting an LS7 engine inside of it. That in itself is grounds for probably getting threats. From what I'm told Peter Brock has an LS in his personal Superformance Daytona. Seems a little sacrilegious, but I cannot find a small block ford engine that can push 700hp without using forced induction or paying ridiculous amounts of money.

Last edited:

Buttons

Oct 31, 2017
Current (operational) rides :D

36776570632_6b274be981_c.jpg

That Porsche is gorgeous, please post more photos! *__* I absolutely love those wheels.

yea, might not be as busy as the gaf thread here, shame too, lurking that thread was fun what with the car-spotting reports. anyway here's a picture of my car, i put in the quad exhaust recently ...
9PsvHca.jpg

Love those TTs, very fun cars to drive and very practical as well for such a little sports car. I was considering one before I bought my SLK.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Porsche is gorgeous, please post more photos! *__* I absolutely love those wheels.

Love those TTs, very fun cars to drive and very practical as well for such a little sports car. I was considering one before I bought my SLK.
yea its a nice ride, has some decent tuning and aftermarket options too. i've got a tune and a bigger turbo, etc. on it and it can make 0-60 in 3.8 seconds. love to cruise and gas it. lol

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My dad just spent $8,000 and more repairing a 2001 Lexus IS300. He's not even done.

I just need a drink after hearing this. I don't know what the fuck is going through his head, but he really should have told me before he made such a irrational decision. The car doesn't even go for that much money anymore.....

Fuck. Fuck.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
FXX K Evo.. when your track day only Ferrari needs more aero haha

01_54.jpg

http://autoweek.com/article/supercars/check-out-new-ferrari-fxx-k-evo

My dad just spent $8,000 and more repairing a 2001 Lexus IS300. He's not even done.

I just need a drink after hearing this. I don't know what the fuck is going through his head, but he really should have told me before he made such a irrational decision. The car doesn't even go for that much money anymore.....

Fuck. Fuck.

Oof what went wrong on it?

OP
OP
JakeG4

JakeG4

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only thing I'm jealous of with you lot over the pond, is the lack of you needing a front Reg plate.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Came over because of the other garage thread.

Picked up an 09 X5 35d. The biggest issues with the line are the exhaust/dpf/egr systems which are not required by my state.

When the issue arises, I've been thinking about a dpf/egr delete which increases mpg and bhp (440ish bhp) and massive torque. Downside is particulate output. It's almost an ethical issue at this point as the future repair would be the same cost as the delete and reprogram.

What are y'alls thoughts on the option? Was maybe thinking about purchasing trees to plant to offset the emissions?

I hope it's okay to ask for auto repair advice here.

I drive a 2007 Toyota Yaris (112,000 miles) and for about a year, my belt has been squealing, with it getting a bit worse after the last 6 months or so. It typically occurs when starting the car or when when the car is idle at a traffic light. Recently, Ive had some other symptoms that have started that I'm curious are related to the belt or maybe even the alternator.

It seems to only happen at night when I have the headlights on. I'll be driving down the road and might turn the a/c on. For a split second, the dashboard and headlights will dim and the radio will cut off. If I make a sharp turn, I'll lose power steering. It doesn't ways for this, some nights are fine, while others I have to be careful to keep the a/c and radio off so I won't lose power steering.

Any ideas if the belt could cause this?

Yes, the "jesus" belt controls all that.

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
i look at the audi a3 just about once a week ... i really cant wait till the day when i lease one lol i REALLY rs3 is what i would like but i gotta be realistic haha