• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scavenger

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I own the Siren release from Australia. I think it's fine, although I haven't rewatched the whole series and am not a videophile.
The Siren Visual Blu-ray has the best picture quality of all English releases, but just like the Sentai Blu-ray it's unfortunately 1080i 29.97fps instead of 1080p 23.976fps. Some minor compression artifacts creep up from time to time.

I'm hoping Sentai will revisit Penguindrum someday, because their compression is so much better these days.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Just Because 03
RTdHKm7.jpg
W-why was he walking sideways ???

Just (Cut My Heart Into Pieces Senpai) Because 04

Just Because 06
All aboard the suffering train.

Still pretty nice. There was that one moment where I thought it was going to go into painful overdrama but thankfully it was defused quickly and it remained the low-key effort that I've grown to care for and like.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Neither am I, far from it. And huh you're the same region as Europe, I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for some deals from this direction too.

I'm European (British), and as PingDrum hasn't had a release over here this seemed like the best bet as Sentai's releases can be a little bit inconsistent in terms of whether the region coding is easily bypassed or not.

Australia occasionally gets odd things that the US (and obviously the UK) don't; for a long time it was the only place to get Dennou Coil and Kaiba from, for instance, although both on DVD only so I never got round to buying them. Curiously - and non-anime wise - they're also the only region with a BD release for Cartoon Network's Over The Garden Wall miniseries.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit Cineplex (Canada) actually has Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel listed on their website! They better have a Montreal showing this time.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Sun & Moon 50

Holy crap that was a good episode. I thought last week's was top stuff, but this one one-upped it in almost every way, packing in enough content to nail every single aspect of the series - from positive feels (Lillie's sheer joy at being able to touch ALL THE POKEMON again) to slice-of-life antics (SKIPPING ROPE! NOW WITH ADDED GIANT EXPLODING TURTLES!) to comedy villain antics (plenty from both Sauboh and Team Rocket) and finally the most serious drama we've seen in the series so far (including possible glimpses of Evil Lusamine even as she's being a goddamn hero).

Oh, and it looks like next week it's Ganbalillie time for reals. This ride just doesn't stop.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Rakugo 6-7
Those feels when you finally figure out what your good at, but then realize Shin told you it years ago.
This isn't going to end well for Miyokichi huh.

Black Clover - Episodes 6 & 7

I had a smile on my face the whole time while watching these last two episodes. Love these characters. They chose a great voice for Charmy! I'm really surprised they went for a low voice for Klaus.
Charmy is already hilarious.

These episodes reminded me that I'm glad Tabata kind of stopped using Gauche much after a point.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
The Night is Short, Walk on Girl

That was a LOT to take in but most importantly it's a pure delight to watch anything move. I haven't much to say but I want to point out the introspection sequence towards the end of it was fucking bonkers.

Aki-at

Oct 25, 2017
Gintama - 62

This level of stupidity is why I watch this show, glad it returned to it's light hearted nature after the arc with Takasugi.

This was pretty hilarious combination play with all the main characters, Otae really wants to straight up kill Gintoki, Kondo and ninja girls falling into the same traps, glad to have the stupid fun episodes back.

lbsa

Oct 27, 2017
Garo Vanishing Line : 07

Finally some progress on the el dorado storyline and hopefully they continue to focus on that going forward.

/XX/

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I will never understand how Tomino was considered a famous storyboarder back in the day.
Doesn't he still has the record of SBs in the Japanese animation industry by number of episodes (more than six hundred, I think)? So, it is only natural someone was recognised as such when his work was so ubiquitous then.

Watched one episode on TV. It is a pity 2D anime graphics were scraped in favour of 3D. Pace looks like a classical magical girl/thief genre series. Would have been funnier in that style.
Careful! You are re-opening Mad Pierrot's old wounds here. :-D

MAL says I first saw this in 2008 and I could barely remember anything other than the word Topless.
It is 'Transformation Of Potential Limit for Extra-SenseS', or T.O.P.L.E.S.S. for short as an acronym... please. :-P

Please don't suck.....
In GORIPON we (must) trust!

Kiznaiver was great, fite me
Yeah! If only for people like Hiroshi Kobayashi to have such a big chance of helming a project and demonstrate their talent, all effort put on the series was worth it. Those character interactions he helped devise, with the manner in which they are so well established organically within scenes also full of visual motifs, is a trait I adore in a creator like him.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Cardfight Vanguard G NEXT Episode 52 END (engdub)

And another season of vanguard done and it was awesome. I love how Kazumi ended up showing his true personality after the cardfight. Good end for him and good everyone. I do wonder what the next arc will be like, though they teased the characters I suspected would have a larger role, I just wonder how much time will pass in universe before they get to them, and where our favorites will end up. I hope Team Striders stays together, no more splitting like Try 3 did.

Oh and Kamui's training never gets old, Ride and Generation Stride practice with Tsuneto and the other Trinity Dragons would be amazing animated. Maybe Striders can join in again.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Kino no Tabi - 7
Pretty nice, Kino's master was truly amazing. The old cop at the end was pretty funny too.

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou - 7
First part as nice, getting lost in the Windows screensaver. Second part was amazing tho. Really funny, Yuu looks fantastic with a ponytail, and that Chii ration was amazing.
This week's Shoujo Shuumatsu Juugyo was great too.

Now, on a related note, I've just discovered that the author of Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou is pretty depressed, and saw some of the stuff she has drawn, and holy fucking shit, she needs help.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
A Woman Called Fujiko Mine

Oscar was such a reprehensible and inconsequential character. The guy is basically Rolo from Code Geass R2.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Nichijou 26 END

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee ? Eeeeeeeeeee girl didn't get another skit. Such travesty ...

A joy, a treasure, a delight. One of those times where I'm in severe need of time travel vehicle for the express purpose of delivering (with a bat) my displeasure to the baka past me that dared to drop this (twice) earlier on. Not every skit works, some of the shorter, cryptic ones especially left me befuddled more than anything else but a lot of weaker material that would, in any other show would pass without notice or elicit only boredom, here is uplifted into Himalayas by either great direction, superb animation or both. And when even the underlining jokes do hit this is simply put on par and maybe better with the top of the comedic material in the medium. I've lost track of all the particular skits that I loved (shotouts to the "Helvetica Standard" Library bit) so suffice to say there's a lot of great entertainment in here. S2 when.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
The Night is Short, Walk on Girl

That was a LOT to take in but most importantly it's a pure delight to watch anything move. I haven't much to say but I want to point out the introspection sequence towards the end of it was fucking bonkers.
This was easily my favorite movie that I watched this year. Glad you liked it.

I also recommend reading the novel since it's even better than the movie in certain aspects.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
If only for people like Hiroshi Kobayashi to have such a big chance of helming a project and demonstrate their talent, all effort on the series was worth it. Those character interactions he helped devise, with the manner in which they are so well established organically within the scene and also full of visual motifs, is a trait I adore in a creator like him.

Had no idea this was his first directial debut, despite his experience. Would like more series with similar approach.

Kinda like Otsuka did with Princess Yucie, setting the foundations for Little Witch Academia

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Heaven's Feel part 1 was good, but the wait for the second part is gonna suck. There wasn't much of a better place to leave the movie at so I can't fault them for that.

Highlight is easily the Lancer vs Assassin fight.

Oct 25, 2017
Love Rice 2 Episode 7
DO8CBJ-UEAAMVg1.jpg:small

I thought itd just be the usual random movie thing but to see a psychopass inspired one, mindblown.

Sasashiniki was actually good as the lead.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Girls Last Tour - 6

Aww, I was hoping she would make it. What a beautiful episode. And we got some really nice views of the city from above. And another city from far away! Such a beautiful world.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't followed up what's hot this and last season. What should i check out from this one?
Well I have no idea what you'd like but the stand out works appear to be:

- Land of the Lustrous
- Ancient Magus Bride
- Girls Last Tour

Those with a taste for comedies could probably advise better on this season's offerings as we have quite a few of those.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
The Ancient Magus Bride Episode 7:

The society of the fae seems to be a very emotionally distant one most of the time but suggesting that Elias is wholly incapable of forming attachment seems to be a very wrong calculation to have been made.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
3gatsu no Lion - 6
Amazing as always, this made go through a wide range of emotions. The last couple of scenes (Hina describing her anger and she dealing with the blackboard) were particularly striking.

Blend S - 7
Funniest episode for sure. From Mafuyu Monkey, to yutapon cubes, to Akizuki's reactions to grabbing Kaho's, to Manager being arrested (finally).

Mahoutsukai no Yome - 7
Best episode for sure, although Chise still can't catch a break, even if she's much more active and independent now. Story is moving along much better now too. The sorcerer couple are quite intriguing. Also that ponytail.

Houseki no Kuni - 7
Phos managed to keep up quite well huh. Tho, Phos is another one who can't catch a break (or rather, she catches too much break *wink wink*). Also, Sensei sleeping into a wall was really funny for some reason.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't followed up what's hot this and last season. What should i check out from this one?

I'll throw in Just Because, it's a pretty grounded romance/drama.

Houseki no Kuni 07

- I told you about fucking up Phos !
- It keeps happening !

Really good ep even though it dealt with the mostly mundane stuff. Comedy and the serious moments were well executed and we got even some fun action thrown in.

Last edited:

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel I Presage Flower

Although I don't like Fate as much as other Type-Moon property, and prefer other Fate entries more than HF, it's my favorite arc between the three routes so I decided to head to the theatre.

I've been skeptical about this project, ever since they announced it's going to be three separate movies, and felt like Aniplex is trying to milk the fanbase like they did with Kizumonogatari, make three half-assed movie instead of one. I'm glad I was wrong.

The movie isn't perfect by any means, but it was jam packed with fun and excitement, which I didn't see much in UBW. Even the fight sequences that I previously felt like Ufotable's weak part, was handled quite well. In the end, I didn't feel disappointed like when I watched Kizumonogatari, and was satisfied with the amount of stuff I got.

Can't wait for 2nd episode.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Even the fight sequences that I previously felt like Ufotable's weak part, was handled quite well. In the end, I didn't feel disappointed like when I watched Kizumonogatari, and was satisfied with the amount of stuff I got.

Yo...

Oct 25, 2017
Land of the Lustrous 07

DO8YOHSU8AAKIOv.jpg

Been a while since I've seen a screenshot thats able to describe a show so succinctly

This really is gonna be Nier Automata + The ship of Theseus paradox huh.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mahoutsukai no Yome 7

Creepy devil kid made Elias angry. You won't like him when he's angry.

So is this Black Dog fellow going to become Chise's familiar? It seems a bit too perfect not to happen - he's newly awakened as some kind of magical creature and all alone in the world after losing his sister (who Chise reminds him of!), while she's in need of a magical partner and seems to be immediately quite fond of him. Hmmmm.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Garo Vanishing Line 7
download.png

Perhaps one of the biggest problems with Vanishing Line is its a very boring looking show to be honest. The directing is just so dull, and you would think the cityscape could at least make for some decent layouts, but it's mostly a very bleh affair. This is an episode that's clearly building up to the real plot of Vanishing Line, but I felt my attention slipping as the minutes ticked on.

Also
they killed off the karate Nun, and that ain't cool man.

Oct 26, 2017
Land of the Lustrous 07

Episode was good, as at this point it's expected of the series. The landscapes are still excellent, the camera work and animation is notable, the comedy bits worked right, the new gem is cool (har har), and we start to see hidden depth in Phos beyond being a 'useless dolt', feeling guilty of her incapacity and knowing (s)he has to change, frustrated to not being punished for her failure, and now her anxieties literally acting against her.
I also liked how they got that weird custom of dressing formally for just hibernating, it's a hint that they aren't really humans and they have their own culture.

Oct 25, 2017

Although I don't like Fate as much as other Type-Moon property, and prefer other Fate entries more than HF, it's my favorite arc between the three routes so I decided to head to the theatre.

I've been skeptical about this project, ever since they announced it's going to be three separate movies, and felt like Aniplex is trying to milk the fanbase like they did with Kizumonogatari, make three half-assed movie instead of one. I'm glad I was wrong.

The movie isn't perfect by any means, but it was jam packed with fun and excitement, which I didn't see much in UBW. Even the fight sequences that I previously felt like Ufotable's weak part, was handled quite well. In the end, I didn't feel disappointed like when I watched Kizumonogatari, and was satisfied with the amount of stuff I got.

While splitting Kizumonogatari into three films was unnecessary, I would hardly call it "half-assed". It was a very strong production, as I would expect from Oishi.

Status
Not open for further replies.