• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017

In what amounts to the most shocking twist in Star Wars history, Colin Trevorrow's script for Episode IX was better than the version J.J. Abrams gave us—on paper, at least. A breakdown of the script, co-written by Trevorrow and Derek Connolly, appeared overnight in r/StarWarsLeaks, which has a surprisingly sound track record with regard to, well, Star Wars leaks. (Major plot points from The Rise Of Skywalker, along with a pair of screenshots from the film's climax, appeared in the subreddit months prior to its release.) While neither Disney nor Trevorrow have commented on the leak, we've spoken with another source who was able to independently confirm the legitimacy of the Trevorrow/Connolly script.

Summary located here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLe...bert_meyer_burnett_reviews_an_early_draft_of/

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
It's just a story treatment. And it might've pleased people who'd loved TLJ more, but it really doesn't sound any more satisfying than TROS and just as stuffed with plot.

But I do like some parts of it. Just like TROS I guess.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
It seems interesting but I dunno if I'd call it better. It does follow up on the themes setup in The Last Jedi more though.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It sounds like a much better film (mainly for building off TLJ rather than wasting time unwriting it) - but a lot of that is due to it being a hypothetical film. I'm sure this pitch would've been dulled & twisted a million ways - and Trevorrow's direction may not have done it any favors.

But it does absolutely answer the question of whether or not is was 'impossible' to write a satisfactory sequel to TLJ.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"You're not like my father or my brother. You're new. Whatever happens, remember the force choose you Rey. You're story isn't written by anyone else."

I like the concept but that line is a little on the nose isn't it?

Anyway, it sounds like a film that embraces The Last Jedi rather than rejecting it. Not a fan of the idea. I don't think there's really anything they could've done other than deliver 2 films instead of 1.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
I don't know if I like it, but it has some interesting ideas and builds upon TLJ more than TROS did. Not a fan of Ben doubling down on evil and dying without redemption, I know that much. I think overall I'd feel content with this movie but it'd still be the worst of the trilogy.

As a Jurassic World stan who was excited for Trevorrow's movie until Book of Henry I would feel so vindicated if it turns out this is legit and he actually had some better ideas than the actual Episode IX

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's literally no indication this is legitimate. "/r/starwarsleaks has a good track record" is like saying "4chan has a good track record." Individual contributors to the site might have a good track record, but literally anyone can submit anything without verification.

Really sloppy writing by io9 here.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty wack but not so bad that I'd risk bringing in a completely new team to rush script and production which is what they did with JJ.

They were better off just tweaking this script and finding common ground and enjoying more time for production.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
There's literally no indication this is legitimate. "/r/starwarsleaks has a good track record" is like saying "4chan has a good track record." Individual contributors to the site might have a good track record, but literally anyone can submit anything without verification.

Really sloppy writing by io9 here.
They literally independently verified the accuracy of the script.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Steal a star destroyer? lol...

Everything sounds good in theory in and in an overview/treatment like this. I have no idea if it would've translated to a good movie.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
The leak itself doesnt come from reddit, that reddit just transcribes the content of the leak. I saw it yesterday and yeah its probably real.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It's pretty wack but not so bad that I'd risk bringing in a completely new team to rush script and production which is what they did with JJ.

They were better off just tweaking this script and finding common ground and enjoying more time for production.
If this script was written before Carrie Fisher's death that may have been the biggest problem.

Also guessing Disney's creative team didn't like the idea of Kylo going without redemption.

Anyway, seems like it would have been neat. I didn't mind TROS for what it was, but it's clear J.J. was scrambling.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I think that sounds better than ROS. By how much, I don't know, but it does sound better.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really read like an improvement, just another take. Would have been cool to see Morris though.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
For those who have read this: is it as completely empty and unsatisfying as TRoS was, or does it actually make this feel at least something like a coherent trilogy of films?

I'm not asking for an all-time classic here, just something that isn't the most uninteresting "yes, and" of all time.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't sound as layered as TLJ but nothing as stupid as Palpatine's granddaughter, or Lando being like Jesus rallying the whole galaxy against thousands of ships that can destroy Planets, and it doesn't sound like it ruins Anakin's sacrifice by bringing Palpatine back. The perfect ending would be Kylo volunteering to go into exile and not try to earn redemption, but at least try to do something good, like the recent Arthur Morgan or the lone gunslingers in some classic westerns, but at least he doesn't get his grand romantic moment because he doesn't fucking deserve it.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
For those who have read this: is it as completely empty and unsatisfying as TRoS was, or does it actually make this feel at least something like a coherent trilogy of films?
It feels more like a coherent folow-up imo, though it misses a redemption for Kylo (which is something I feel the trilogy was moving towards since TFA). There are no backtrackings on what TLJ told us. Rey is still a nobody, the conflict is focused on the new cast in stead of pulling Palpatine in, ...

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I like the concept but that line is a little on the nose isn't it?

Anyway, it sounds like a film that embraces The Last Jedi rather than rejecting it. Not a fan of the idea. I don't think there's really anything they could've done other than deliver 2 films instead of 1.
It's also Star Wars, where good guys are elementally noble and bad guys have scars, wear black, and make their lightsabers "bleed". Subtlety has never been the franchise's strength.

Problems with RoS aside, I'll be damned before I start commending the work of Colin Trevorrow after his recent portfolio. "Atleast it's not as cowardly as Rise" ain't a high bar.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Eyerolls for days at these parts:

Darth Maul-esque droid. He has stubble indicating search has been for a long time.

At some point is revealed Kylo killed Rey's parents at the behest of Snoke.

Still pretty much garbage tbh. Unimagintive and full of lazy fan service. Trevorrow is a hack.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
It feels more like a coherent folow-up imo, though it misses a redemption for Kylo (which is something I feel the trilogy was moving towards since TFA). There are no backtrackings on what TLJ told us. Rey is still a nobody, the conflict is focused on the new cast in stead of pulling Palpatine in, ...

This new cast got shafted so hard, so that at least sounds like an improvement.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I've read it all... this either seems like it too would be (force) lightning paced or better off as two movies.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is Palpatine alive? No? Immediately orders of magnitude better than TRoS.

And it builds from TLJ? Even better! Sign me up for this reality. As it is I can't see myself watching TRoS again, it just doesn't exist for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really read like an improvement, just another take. Would have been cool to see Morris though.
It doesn't sound great, but ROS plot twists and resolutions were awful or awkward. Even a generic SW film that didn't have these and tries to develop secondary characters like Rose and Hux, would be a significant improvement.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Lovecraftian sith lord is something I wasn't aware I wanted so damn badly.

Also no Reylo, thank fuck.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Like the reports of the "Abrams cut" of TROS, this reads rather like a fan wishlist script than an actual thing someone official wrote. The average moviegoer has no idea wtf Kuat is. It's something fans tend to do over the people who are really in charge: work EU stuff in instead of inventing their own things.

Same goes for Mortis.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I like no Palpatine.

I like the idea of Luke haunting Kylo.

I like no Kylo redemption.

Might not have been a great movie but it definitely sounds better, more coherent and less contrived.