• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After reading I do like them is having Rose be a actual character that does things instead of a glorified cameo.

But even then they just had to put in a torture scene with her...

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I've read it all... this either seems like it too would be (force) lightning paced or better off as two movies.

I only read the synopsis on AV Club but... not really? There are three stories happening, two of which seem mirrored intentionally as the dark/light side versions of the same idea.

Everything else is happening on a much smaller scale than TRoS ultimately was. No weirdness like the sudden leap to Palpatine to explain. No sudden fleets of Star Destroyers that give you the feeling that something's missing in the narrative. It reads more like a sequel to TLJ.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I feel lucky to be totally onboard with the big decisions TROS made. Rey Palpatine, Palpatine being back, the Force connection, Ben's redemption, Rey Skywalker.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Sounds better than RoS was.

Anything is better than centering a mcguffin chase around the universe's most bland alien: Ochi.

I swear, his blandest design possible is part of the numerous middle fingers JJ gave fans with his conclusion. like, it takes a lot of time and effort to make something this boring.

maxresdefault.jpg

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Treverrow's unwillingness to redeem Kylo is probably why he left the film, right? Given that we know redemption was basically a LFG mandate

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some things are better, some things still seem kind of bad. Is Tor Valum supposed to be Plagueis?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I thought TFA was really weak and crippled the whole trilogy. IMO, TFA was the weakest entry and I haven't watched it anywhere near as much as TLJ. I loved TLJ mostly because of Luke's performance.

Anything wrong with the ST started in TFA and couldn't be fixed.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure it would have worked, but there's a lot to like. In fact, earlier this week I was considering replying to the 'how would YOU have done EpIX?' thread with some of the same ideas. To wit:
- Not retconning TLJ and following up on its ideas: Rey's parents are nobodies, Rose deserves a larger role, the legend of Luke's last stand lights a spark.
- Kylo isn't redeemed.
- Luke's force ghost haunts Kylo (can also be filed under 'follow up on TLJ')
- Return to Coruscant.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel like this script does some things better, but it basically wastes Kylo Ren as a character, despite having some decent ideas to lead with for him.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It sounds less stupid than TROS and at least doesn't waste time undoing the previous film. I'm not sure that introducing Cthulhu was a good idea though.

This and Carrie's death probably. I can imagine him pushing for a CG double.

But we won't know untill in 10 years or so the real behind the scenes books are allowed to be written.

Wasn't there some speculation that he wanted to recast the role?

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I only read the synopsis on AV Club but... not really? There are three stories happening, two of which seem mirrored intentionally as the dark/light side versions of the same idea.

Everything else is happening on a much smaller scale than TRoS ultimately was. No weirdness like the sudden leap to Palpatine to explain. No sudden fleets of Star Destroyers that give you the feeling that something's missing in the narrative. It reads more like a sequel to TLJ.

The AV Club version is much much more condensed than the reddit post. The reddit post could just be Burnett talking about specific things and making it sound like longer scenes. Again, at least that's the feeling that I got coming away from it.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds better than RoS was.

Anything is better than centering a mcguffin chase around the universe's most bland alien: Ochi.

I swear, his blandest design possible is part of the numerous middle fingers JJ gave fans with his conclusion.

The McGuffins in this script are pretty much just as much of a waste of time. Kylo chasing a mcguffin for unlimited power or whatever the fuck, knowledge leading to Palpatines final order. Rey on an entire arc to reinforce commitment to the Jedi at the 11th hour of the trilogy, only to have it revealed that Kylo actually killed her parents lol, which is more of a blatant rewrite of Rian's work than JJ's awkward "your parents were nobodies...because they chose to be."

The scary thing we should all be taking from this is that two of the highest grossing directors of our age both spit out this kind of work as a good place for Star Wars to go.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Truth be told, this is probably a best case scenario for Trevorrow: now his nonexistent film gets compared to the terrible one that actually came out and easily looks better. Meanwhile, had it been released, this too would probably have felt like a let down.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
We are in the worst fucking timeline if Trevorrow's script sounds better than what we got.

goddamn.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Every new thing that comes out just reminds me how much ROS was just a creatively bankrupt pastiche of " fan pleasing " nonsense . They have me over here actually wanting to see what CT's vision would have been. Oh and fuck ROS

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they didn't redeem Kylo. We did the redemption thing in the OT. Repeating it in the ST was a mistake IMO. Same with Rey Palpatine- the OT already established that someone who comes from an evil heritage isn't destined to follow that route. I didn't need to see that again in TROS.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
It sounds less stupid than TROS and at least doesn't waste time undoing the previous film. I'm not sure that introducing Cthulhu was a good idea though.

Yeah that would have been strange, but I would have loved a basically evil Yoda. Like, everyone fails their training and this cosmic thing just laughs and cruelly taunts them until they leave.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I like no Palpatine.

I like the idea of Luke haunting Kylo.

I like no Kylo redemption.

Might not have been a great movie but it definitely sounds better, more coherent and less contrived.

I haven't liked anything Trevorrow's ever made but yeah, this would've at least left me neutral on this whole trilogy instead of thinking it was a waste of time.

But at the same time, movies are watched, not read. Who knows how this would've played out in the end.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
No idea if it's real, but it is better then what we got.

Still feel they should have gotten Rian for it though.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I feel like this script does some things better, but it basically wastes Kylo Ren as a character, despite having some decent ideas to lead with for him.
I appreciate Ren not being ~~~redeemed~~~ in this version of the film. TRoS is basically the worst possible decision at every turn for my money, and I legitimately cannot decide what decision I hate the most. But using Ren as Rey's fucking force twin is right up there. I actually thought TLJ went the right way with what was set up in TFA. Yeah, he's a sniveling manchild in TFA, and TLJ was very clear eyed about how absolutely terrifying that can be. I would have loved that to be studied more than flushing all of that down the toilet for a fucking kiss. Jesus Christ.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I like no Palpatine.

I like the idea of Luke haunting Kylo.

I like no Kylo redemption.

Might not have been a great movie but it definitely sounds better, more coherent and less contrived.
I think it would be better if Luke is haunting Kylo but he's not, that's all in Kylo's mind. People say Kylo isn't threatening enough to be a main villain, but I disagree I think he could have had that classic mad young emperor thing going on like Caligula or Commodus from Gladiator.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't liked anything Trevorrow's ever made but yeah, this would've at least left me neutral on this whole trilogy instead of thinking it was a waste of time.

But at the same time, movies are watched, not read. Who knows how this would've played out in the end.
I mean, reading the leaks for ROS gave you a pretty good idea of how bad it would be before watching it. Most the problems in that movie aren't acting or direction, it's the overall plot point ideas that are dumb or boring.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Some of that is meh. But Kylo should never have been redeemed. And could've gotten this:

SWTOR-KotFE.jpg

Kotor knights of the fallen empire dude

It sounds better.
Duel of the Fates is a better title too.
They could have worked with that script. Make Poe and Finn the leaders of the Resistance to replace Carrie.
Having another big bad instead of just making Kylo the antagonist is stupid though. If you aren't going to redeem him at least make him the villain 100%.

Anything wrong with the ST started in TFA and couldn't be fixed.

100%. It was not a great start.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
For those who have read this: is it as completely empty and unsatisfying as TRoS was, or does it actually make this feel at least something like a coherent trilogy of films?

I'm not asking for an all-time classic here, just something that isn't the most uninteresting "yes, and" of all time.
It seems a tiny bit better, but doesn't seem THAT much better.

I appreciate it doesn't lean on Palpatine and focuses more on the ST stuff, but I prefer Kylo being tortured by his past actions in RoS rather than just being fully evil in this script.

Other than that it does different stuff, but still a bunch of planet hopping and a final Resistance v. FO fight.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like removing a key component from your trilogy without a plan is a bad idea.

I remember getting shit on GAF for saying removing him was a terrible call. Literally 2 pages of people quoting me telling me I was an idiot.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
The McGuffins in this script are pretty much just as much of a waste of time. Kylo chasing a mcguffin for unlimited power or whatever the fuck, knowledge leading to Palpatines final order. Rey on an entire arc to reinforce commitment to the Jedi at the 11th hour of the trilogy, only to have it revealed that Kylo actually killed her parents lol, which is more of a blatant rewrite of Rian's work than JJ's awkward "your parents were nobodies...because they chose to be."

The scary thing we should all be taking from this is that two of the highest grossing directors of our age both spit out this kind of work as a good place for Star Wars to go.

Yeah, this script seems far from a home run, too.

Also starting with a Rose mission and ending on Mortis like, sounded off all the "this is just fan fiction and probably not real" alarms. This seems credible though, as per AV Club!

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The AV Club version is much much more condensed than the reddit post. The reddit post could just be Burnett talking about specific things and making it sound like longer scenes. Again, at least that's the feeling that I got coming away from it.

Yeah, I'll take a look at the full treatment, because this probably isn't enough to get an idea of why they passed on this. I'm curious, at least, but I know my enthusiasm is colored by how empty I thought TRoS was. Like, I know my brain is searching out for some hope that at least someone cared enough to do a better thing than what we got.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
So a lightblade Guillotine eh?

Kylo being haunted by Luke's Force Ghost sounds cool though. That could have been really good, reminds me of Mark's Joker haunting Batman in Arkham Knight.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather they nuke the idea of Tor Vallum and just do a Palpatine holocron that Kylo trains under.

Seems weird to introduce some sort of grand teacher that taught Palpatine after all this time. (no mention of Rey finding the teacher either and finishing him off, seems like he lives on)

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. Would give Kylo redemption in some form though.

also would add "Rey. Just Rey." "So.... Rey Solo?"

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

I was less worried about the writing than Trevorrow's directing. He has no visual flair and his action in JW was banal. I wouldn't have minded this script with a stronger director like JA Bayona helming.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait until JW3 is better received at the BO with better critic and audience reception than the utter trash that was TRoS. Fuck Lucasfilm and KK.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
That treatment would have never fit in to even a 3 hour movie. I'd expect if this was legit and had been made, big chunks of that would have been cut out and overall reworked.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Everyone wanted Trevorrow out because they thought he would deliver cheap, poorly constructed fan service schlock.

Look at us at now.

Last edited: