• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Ending sounds pretty bad, but interesting none the less. It looks like it would suffer the same issues as Rise of Skywalker though. There's no way they'd be able to fit all of that into one movie without it feeling rushed. There's two movies worth of plot there.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Honestly a lot of that seems pretty decent. The execution might've been worse but overall I like that direction better than what we got.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
The core of the story sounds pretty much in line with what I was expecting after seeing TLJ. This treatment still needs a lot of work but it at least feels like it flows naturally from TLJ.

It really sounds like Lucasfilm panicked after TLJ made so many dweebs angry, the Episode IX we actually got is a freakish abomination that is concerned only with satisfying the people who buy Star Wars comics and not actually telling a good story that lines up with the other films.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Man this is so much better, just the fact that reys parents continue to be nobodies and both kylo and rey are trying to dsmantle the jedi and sith thing is light years ahead of ROS.

I think thats why in the end this script was shelved, after the news that they didnt want respawn to do a game about jedis because of how overly protective they are of the concept, they will never follow any story thread that challenges the idea of jedis as a group, no matter how interesting it is.

Its a shame.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Just give this some rewrites and it could have turned out pretty good. Too bad it didn't happen.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Force Ghosts being used as a means of Terrorizing people would completely destroy what the whole concept of Force Ghosts are. They aren't there so you can be an asshole to someone you want to torment. Force Ghosts exist to pass on Knowledge and in Lucas's case to keep the Order alive even if the last Jedi dies because select few Jedi were enlightened enough to transcend death and be able to pass on knowledge.

People cheer stuff like this on then complain Palaptine ruined the chosen one prophecy or other crap
I mean only if you see it as Luke's ghost deliberately trolling Kylo.

I think the idea would be that Luke still sees himself as Ben's mentor, trying to guide him back to the light from the other side. That it sets off Kylo anyway is more about Kylo being an unstable manchild than anything Luke does besides just showing up.

His appearance at the end of The Last Jedi was essentially this - one more lesson for the student he failed.

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
He's evil and he wants to be. He should be put down because he's done nothing, but try and be as much of an asshole as possible. As someone earlier said, Anakin was a kid who wanted to be good, but got tempted and went down the path of the Dark Side. Kylo is the opposite, he wants to go down the path of the Dark Side despite people trying to pull him back. Giving him a redemption was weak and cowardice of Disney to fully commit. They shouldn't have made him the son of Han and Leia if it meant he HAD to be redeemed.

Kylo is arguably the most compelling new character of the ST due to his inner conflict and turmoil. Having him just double down on 100% villainy sounds boring to me, and imo there's far more emotional catharsis in him returning to the light than there is in him descending deeper into darkness while his family pointlessly tries to help him.

Plus, the idea of someone being a lost cause/too far gone goes so far against what SW is, so I just can't agree.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I mean only if you see it as Luke's ghost deliberately trolling Kylo.

I think the idea would be that Luke still sees himself as Ben's mentor, trying to guide him back to the light from the other side. That it sets off Kylo anyway is more about Kylo being an unstable manchild than anything Luke does besides just showing up.

His appearance at the end of The Last Jedi was essentially this - one more lesson for the student he failed.
Luke say he's not here to save his soul, I think he's done with that, he says no one's really gone, so my interpretation is he's believe someone else might get to Ren but it's not his destiny. Luke haunting Ren is cool but the twist would be awesome that it's a ghost inside Kylo's distorted mind, not the literal force ghost of Luke. It's Kylo Ren going Macbeth and if Luke has found peace within the force, you still get Mark Hamill playing two versions of Luke, which kind was all ready established with the conflicting flashbacks in TLJ.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know if it would have made a good movie but there's already a bunch of obvious improvements:

- No Palpatine
- Rey remains a "nobody"
- No Reylo
- No Kylo redemption
- More Rose
- Luke trolling the shit out of Kylo would be a never-ending source of amusement
- None of the breath-taking idiocy surrounding the dagger subplot or coordinates in black magic language that C3PO can parse but won't translate

Honestly, I'm in. Reboot when? xD

Oct 27, 2017
Kylo is arguably the most compelling new character of the ST due to his inner conflict and turmoil. Having him just double down on 100% villainy sounds boring to me, and imo there's far more emotional catharsis in him returning to the light than there is in him descending deeper into darkness while his family pointlessly tries to help him.

Plus, the idea of someone being a lost cause/too far gone goes so far against what SW is, so I just can't agree.

I'd argue it's boring and cheap to literally do the same thing done with Vader, for a character decidedly different (and who they went to great lengths to differentiate) and who wanted to be dark as opposed to one who wanted to be good. It make him way less compelling and instead of the inner turmoil being part of his character, it simply became part of what direction Disney/the respective directors wanted to take him

I also didn't know when that became part of the core message of SW and not simply Anakin/Vader's arc. Before you mention Finn, I'd argue someone who willingly gives up a life of killing to try and atone for what they did (even though this atonement isn't really addressed in this trilogy, unfortunately) is different. Either way, that would only be 2 characters across 9 movies

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer this over what we got with TROS just for the fact that Palpatine is not in it along with other things I disagreed with.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it would have made a good movie but there's already a bunch of obvious improvements:

- No Palpatine
- Rey remains a "nobody"
- No Reylo
- No Kylo redemption
- More Rose
- Luke trolling the shit out of Kylo would be a never-ending source of amusement
- None of the breath-taking idiocy surrounding the dagger subplot or coordinates in black magic language that C3PO can parse but won't translate

I don't think Kylo should be totally redeemed but I think they should do something with 'no one's really gone' that's why I think him becoming an exile, a man with no name or a nobody, is good. He never becomes the idealised Ben Kenobi but not really gone either. Then the audience can debates whether he's allowed to play a hero, even on smaller planets. Give them something sweet to contemplate. Even have Rey feel conflicted about whether she should surrender him for execution or whether her generation of jedi must decide their own code.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA

Ah, I don't think that's necessarily true. There are interesting ways to grapple with that that extend beyond "Kylo sucks and is evil so we're gonna beat him!". In fact, I always thought the most interesting path Ep. IX could take would be to play with this idea that Kylo is redeemable, but ultimately can't be; that he rejects his own redemption because he feels it would rob him of his agency.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Luke's ghost ignoring Kylo. Anakin's Ghost no where to be seen. Finn got done DIRTY. This whole trilogy is just wasted opportunity.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Damn, maybe the final product wouldn't have been good, but I really liked the sound of everything that was listed--at least more than I liked RoS.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

I think the idea of "what do you do when someone you love is irredeemable" could have been a really interesting concept for Star Wars, and potentially relevant in a hyper political climate where it seems like lots of people who have family members who have double/tripled down on supporting dangerous beliefs.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
*taps fingers on table* Where's the actual script?!? Multiple people supposedly have it. Somebody needs to leak it already.

We have proof this is from Colin and not just a fan? Because I thought Colin's script included Luke being reincarnated and Leia being a master Jedi with lightsaber fight scenes.

I have not seen any credible evidence to suggest that any of Trevorrow and Connolly's drafts included a reincarnated Luke or Leia wielding a lightsaber. I believe those were just unsubstantiated rumors. This, however, has been independently verified by AV Club, Slashfilm, The Playlist, and Collider.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
I like most of what is listed. Hated how they squeezed Palpatine into this movie. They set it up perfectly for Luke to troll Kylo in ep 9. Plus, lightsaber broke....how could they not have Rey build a new staff lightsaber. She carries and uses that staff in all the movies. Even in TROS she has it for some reason. Why do you need a staff when you have a lightsaber!!! Plus, having Rey create a staff lightsaber allows them to create new toys...PERFECT! Ugh.

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I don't think that's necessarily true. There are interesting ways to grapple with that that extend beyond "Kylo sucks and is evil so we're gonna beat him!". In fact, I always thought the most interesting path Ep. IX could take would be to play with this idea that Kylo is redeemable, but ultimately can't be; that he rejects his own redemption because he feels it would rob him of his agency.

I mean, that would actually be consistent with his character, considering Han tried and Rey tried, but he was the child of the good guys so he had to be redeemed.

What's worse is that I can't even really pinpoint what the turning point was. I know when it occurred in the movie, but it felt entirely unearned. There was no defining moment or impetus that caused him to reconsider his path, and least not one on the level of any of the previous times he had a chance and rejected it, or compared to Anakin. For Anakin it was when he could let Palpatine be killed/apprehended by Windu, and possibly lose Padme, and decided to injure Windu and pledge his allegiance to Palpatine. Then as Vader it seeing his son being killed by the Emperor. With Kylo it was losing to Rey (which wasn't new, it's happened every time they've fought) and talking with Han

I like most of what is listed. Hated how they squeezed Palpatine into this movie. They set it up perfectly for Luke to troll Kylo in ep 9. Plus, lightsaber broke....how could they not have Rey build a new staff lightsaber. She carries and uses that staff in all the movies. Even in TROS she has it for some reason. Why do you need a staff when you have a lightsaber!!! Plus, having Rey create a staff lightsaber allows them to create new toys...PERFECT! Ugh.
Blame JJ and his OT obsession. The only thing from the PT he acknowledged was the emperor's name being Palpatine, which is kind of weird considering I don't think common people even referred to him by that name in the OT

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think both treatments, Trevorrow's and all those of Abrahms, showed that another film was needed to give each character their due and get them to where they needed to be in their endgame. Even if there was no Last Jedi, this always felt as a long game to justify the repetitive backdrop and set-up.

I know some fans would cry that Star Wars has to be released in trilogies just as much as them being "events" make them magically better, but the angle has always focused more on this being a part or conclusion to a saga more than anything else. So cash in and do the Harry Potter, or perhaps more relevant the Avengers, method of splitting your concluding story into two pieces to cover the necessary ground.

Finn's trooper background that was played with in TFA and almost made it into TLJ could pay off. Palpatine could be revealed in film. Kylo's shift can be eased, maybe with a ghost convo with Anakin (no longer being blocked by the influence of Smoke/Palpatine) who uses that Han moment to not only give Ben that peace of mind knowing what he's doing is now right, but to hammer home that the things they've done are irredeemable and all they can do is make sure their final acts, before the Universe's judgement claims them, are done out of love free of anger and hate. Build Poe as a leader who grew from his mistakes. Have Rey build her own identity into what she wants it to be instead of passing it between various players on a switch.

In many ways I'm upset about this film in the same way as Revenge of the Sith, though the latter somehow managed to let it's events breath enough to somehow work despite being a bit tame and underwhelming.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Duel of the Fates is a much better subtitle than Rise of Skywalker

I know that was the title of the awesome PT song, but who named it that? John Williams? George Lucas?

It would have made a great callback to the PT.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

- No Palpatine
- Rey remains a "nobody"
- No Reylo
- No Kylo redemption
- More Rose

It's essentially what my changes aka fanfiction would be. I agree with not redeeming Kylo Ren but also they shouldn't kill him. He commits an act of selflessness in the fight against evil but still can't bring himself to hang with the people he's wronged yet so goes off into the galaxy to seek further atonement. Rey still earns her name as a Skywalker, coming from nobody (no extremely powerful ancestors in sight hint. hint.) to earn her place in the galaxy.

I think it'd be refreshing to not have him die at the end. It's like a trope where if you're not giving your life to the cause, it's not enough to save your friends and family. You have to die to move on. I say let him walk away. It's cooler and leaves more open more possibilities.

Also making him be one with the force cheapens the act more than it already has been cheapened.

Like I said before, a treatment is no guarantee that the film would be good or bad but I like the bullet points of this more than the bullet points of what we got.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Skywalker saga and no version of Episode 9 exists with Anakin's force ghost returning, incredible lol!

Oct 27, 2017
I think both treatments, Trevorrow's and all those of Abrahms, showed that another film was needed to give each character their due and get them to where they needed to be in their endgame. Even if there was no Last Jedi, this always felt as a long game to justify the repetitive backdrop and set-up.

I know some fans would cry that Star Wars has to be released in trilogies just as much as them being "events" make them magically better, but the angle has always focused more on this being a part or conclusion to a saga more than anything else. So cash in and do the Harry Potter, or perhaps more relevant the Avengers, method of splitting your concluding story into two pieces to cover the necessary ground.

Was another one needed though? Or was it more the case that JJ and Abrams or Disney should have actually come up with the complete character arcs for each character before and consulted one another better? You use Finn as an example, and his arc only seems rushed/unsatisfying because TLJ didn't really build on what was established in TFA other than having him kill Phasma. It didn't explore the effects of him being a reformed storm trooper, it didn't really hint at any sort of force awareness, it didn't hint at any other storm troopers having broken their conditioning. As a middle movie of a trilogy it really only did anything for Rey, Kylo and Luke, while everyone else was somewhat shafted or had their arcs arrested, or taken in tangential directions

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
I'd argue it's boring and cheap to literally do the same thing done with Vader, for a character decidedly different (and who they went to great lengths to differentiate) and who wanted to be dark as opposed to one who wanted to be good. It make him way less compelling and instead of the inner turmoil being part of his character, it simply became part of what direction Disney/the respective directors wanted to take him

I also didn't know when that became part of the core message of SW and not simply Anakin/Vader's arc. Before you mention Finn, I'd argue someone who willingly gives up a life of killing to try and atone for what they did (even though this atonement isn't really addressed in this trilogy, unfortunately) is different. Either way, that would only be 2 characters across 9 movies

I agree that it repeats Vader's redemption too closely in that they both die immediately — I would've much preferred Ben living and having to atone and try to fix his wrongdoings. With the dark side seemingly being such a slippery slope, how valuable would it be for someone like Ben, who experienced that fall, to pass on wisdom to other Force users about how to avoid it? That's where I feel JJ and Terrio were too afraid to commit and just killed him off instead of doing the more interesting thing.

I've seen a number of quotes from Lucas about how he likes the ideas of redemption and the villain regaining their humanity. And Anakin's story and the Skywalker saga is kind of the bread and butter of Star Wars as a whole, so his fall and return (and how that legacy affects his grandson in the ST) makes the idea of redemption part of the fabric of what SW is.

Besides that, the entire idea of light side vs dark side and what path a character chooses to take implies the hope that going down the dark path doesn't mean you can never find your way back, rather than the idea of "You made your choice, now you're screwed". That's not always with Skywalkers either — look at characters like Revan or Ventress.

And sure, you've got characters like Palpatine who revel in being evil, but when you have a character like Kylo or Vader who's mired in darkness and conflict, I find it more uplifting to see what it'd be like if they made the right choice instead of continually seeing them make the wrong one. I suppose that's personal preference, but that idea feels more Star Wars-y to me.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Rey/Poe romance stuff is weird and there's a number of other stupid things, but it's still significantly better than what we got.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that it repeats Vader's redemption too closely in that they both die immediately — I would've much preferred Ben living and having to atone and try to fix his wrongdoings. With the dark side seemingly being such a slippery slope, how valuable would it be for someone like Ben, who experienced that fall, to pass on wisdom to other Force users about how to avoid it? That's where I feel JJ and Terrio were too afraid to commit and just killed him off instead of doing the more interesting thing.

I've seen a number of quotes from Lucas about how he likes the ideas of redemption and the villain regaining their humanity. And Anakin's story and the Skywalker saga is kind of the bread and butter of Star Wars as a whole, so his fall and return (and how that legacy affects his grandson in the ST) makes the idea of redemption part of the fabric of what SW is.

Besides that, the entire idea of light side vs dark side and what path a character chooses to take implies the hope that going down the dark path doesn't mean you can never find your way back, rather than the idea of "You made your choice, now you're screwed". That's not always with Skywalkers either — look at characters like Revan or Ventress.

And sure, you've got characters like Palpatine who revel in being evil, but when you have a character like Kylo or Vader who's mired in darkness and conflict, I find it more uplifting to see what it'd be like if they made the right choice instead of continually seeing them make the wrong one. I suppose that's personal preference, but that idea feels more Star Wars-y to me.

I remember that interview being posted, but his quote was from before The Phantom Menace even released and considering the arc of the prequel trilogy it made sense that Star Wars, at that point in time, was a complete story of a fall and redemption. What I disagree is whether the sequel trilogy had to retain that, considering it was suppose to be a new generation.

To your other point, I'm not saying he should be a cackling evil person like Palpatine, but when you think about it, he's someone who teetered between light and dark and ultimate fell towards the light side. I simply thought it would have been better if he fell towards the dark side. Sort of like Light Yagami from Death Note, that was a character who could have been good (well, maybe until his first kill, but when he lost the DN he genuinely seemed like he had the potential for goodness) and who ultimately died from his own hubris and believe that he chose the right path. I wanted something like that for Kylo. Instead of his typical wishy washy, will I won't I be evil, him being decisive about his path and seeing it to the end even if it ended up with him not being redeemed (or even wanting to be). I was just disappointed they took the safe option. And then there was the kiss. Ugh

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
At least this script feels like an actual follow-up to TLJ and deals with the themes of that movie, like Rey considering not being a Jedi and her discussion with force Luke about her origins. The finale seems a bit half-baked but this at least reads like something better than what we got in TROS.

May 26, 2018
At least this script feels like an actual follow-up to TLJ and deals with the themes of that movie, like Rey considering not being a Jedi and her discussion with force Luke about her origins. The finale seems a bit half-baked but this at least reads like something better than what we got in TROS.

Imagine if the trilogy had some kind of consistent writing room. Ideas being discussed, everyone being on the same page for all three films. We wouldn't be here. Why was the creative vision for each movie a one-and-done?

Oct 31, 2017

The beginning of the film very much picks up from The Last Jedi in that the First Order has cut off all communication between planets in order to suppress a rebellion inspired by Luke Skywalker's stand off at the Battle of Crait. So the spark of the rebellion did work in this version of the movie. In fact, the opening sequence of Duel of the Fates finds Finn (John Boyega), Rose (Kelly Marie Tran), and BB-8 stealing a Star Destroyer that's chock full of Imperial weapons. During the heist, Finn sees a Stormtrooper with his helmet off that he recognizes, with his story arc in Duel of the Fates nicely concluding the one that began in The Force Awakens. Oh and Rose? Apparently front and center through the whole movie, which is a damn shame given that she's completely sidelined in Rise of Skywalker.

Even the beginning is already better.

Again, that's why the, "Nowhere to go in 9," thing is silly. This version actually follows through with TFA and TLJ and sounds more interesting already in the opening moments.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the trilogy had some kind of consistent writing room. Ideas being discussed, everyone being on the same page for all three films. We wouldn't be here. Why was the creative vision for each movie a one-and-done?

That's not really a thing that any movies do. Cameron has done it for the Avatar sequels (and we haven't seen the results yet). Paramount did it for Transformers but we didn't see anything beyond TLK from that work (was Bumblebee a part of that?). I can't think of another example of a TV style writer's room being used for film franchises. It's not what the MCU does.

May 26, 2018
That's not really a thing that any movies do. Cameron has done it for the Avatar sequels (and we haven't seen the results yet). Paramount did it for Transformers but we didn't see anything beyond TLK from that work (was Bumblebee a part of that?). I can't think of another example of a TV style writer's room being used for film franchises. It's not what the MCU does.

Just feels like something, anything, should have been done to keep the story's direction consistent.

Oct 31, 2017
Just feels like something, anything, should have been done to keep the story's direction consistent.

This movie's script would have done that. In fact, a different director did a better job following up TFA/TLJ (story-wise) and with a better theme for a 9-part saga (Duel of the Fates) than the guy who actually did TFA.

Maybe it would have been a poorly directed mess, but this actually sounds like a story I'd have loved to see.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

That's more to the producer's responsibility. You don't need a writer's room, you don't need to plan everything out years ahead of time, and you don't even need the same writers and producers attached to each installment. You just need a producer who makes sure that any new stories flow naturally from the prior work. That's fundamentally what Kevin Feige does with the MCU. He isn't orchestrating an elaborate mass of story beats. He just makes sure that the stories are aligned with what has happened before and where he wants them to end up down the road.

In this case Trevorrow's script actually flowed naturally from TLJ. Abrams and Terrior didn't. Kathleen Kennedy could have forced Abrams and Terrio to pick up seamlessly from TLJ but she chose not to, for whatever reason.

Maybe it would have been a poorly directed mess, but this actually sounds like a story I'd have loved to see.

Given JW, I think Trevorrow's filming of this script would have been "fine". It would have been competent with minimal flare or visual invention Essentially what Richard Marquand did on RotJ. I think the end result may have still be viewed by many as the weakest of the trilogy but it also would have been deemed inoffensive and resulted in a bit more at the box office and a lot less fan discussion.

May 26, 2018
That's more to the producer's responsibility. You don't need a writer's room, you don't need to plan everything out years ahead of time, and you don't even need the same writers and producers attached to each installment. You just need a producer who makes sure that any new stories flow naturally from the prior work. That's fundamentally what Kevin Feige does with the MCU. He isn't orchestrating an elaborate mass of story beats. He just makes sure that the stories are aligned with what has happened before and where he wants them to end up down the road.

In this case Trevorrow's script actually flowed naturally from TLJ. Abrams and Terrior didn't. Kathleen Kennedy could have forced Abrams and Terrio to pick up seamlessly from TLJ but she chose not to, for whatever reason.

So what do you think was going on? An overreaction to the online response to TLJ?

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
So back in 2017, when Trevorrow was let go, trusted Star Wars leaker Jordan Maison said that Lucasfilm had never been entirely happy with a draft he and Derek Connolly wrote, but that they thought the draft he turned in before Carrie died was "workable." This is probably that draft. Lucasfilm was less happy with drafts after this. So it's possible that if Carrie Fisher hadn't died, we would have gotten some form of this.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
The Rey/Poe romance stuff is weird and there's a number of other stupid things, but it's still significantly better than what we got.

I mean Poe/Rey makes some sense. In TFA you can definitely make an argument she romanticizes not just flying away herself but Rebel pilots in general. With the self made doll and wearing the pilot helm. It's not a stretch to imagine she would get feelings for Poe in the long(er) run. Keeping in mind that she barely gets to know him in the 8 days that span TFA and TLJ.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
So what do you think was going on? An overreaction to the online response to TLJ?
They probably were rushed, Treverrow's scripts post-Carrie's passing were back to unacceptable to Lucasfilm/Disney, and they figured JJ captured lightning in a bottle with TFA once, so he could do it again. Check off a few boxes, "give the people what they want", and just send the fuckin' thing out there and make billions.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

On Kennedy's part? Yes. Abrams and Terrio came on months before TLJ even released (and IIRC delivered the first script draft the weekend TLJ came out) so I think on Abrams' part it might have just been a little bit of ego in feeling like he didn't need to be beholden to the decisions made in TLJ since he was the one who launched this trilogy.

But I've got a sneaking suspicion that the first draft delivered was actually less pandering to Reddit (for lack of a better term) than what we've got. The final movie is so sloppy and slapdash it feels like something happened in the past year and they bent over backwards in reshoots and editing to pander to what they perceived the vocal anti-TLJ crowd.

I'm hoping once the dust settled we get some good reporting from the trades on what happened behind the scenes. Because the end result feels like the production even after Abrams came onboard was anything but smooth.