digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can anyone think of what past examples he's referring to? I can't think of any.

And do you think he's right? Wrong?

I personally think a $299 entry point + Game Pass will be an extremely popular option for parents and casual gamers.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
OK Jim Ryan, whatever you say Jim, we believe you. (I also cant think of other examples like this in the past ?)

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if hes just saying that to say that.

evidence: *gestures at everything hes said*

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
they were so unsuccessful they left the collective consciousness. hell, i dont even remember those shitty consoles!

wotta

Oct 27, 2017
I think he is right. In my opinion Xbox Series S won't exist in three years.

Xbox One X seems to be on the way out and how old is that?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Weird the PS2 was weaker than the competition.
Same with the Wii. Same with the DS

That's not what he's saying. He's saying weaker consoles from the same family (PSP E-1000, Xbox 360 Arcade, Wii Mini) don't tend to do well.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keeping the fire of console war alive it seems. What's up with those execs?

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
In fairness, people tend to go for the higher end console. The Xbox 360 core only sold out after the more expensive one sold out first etc.

I don't have the numbers but I expect the WiiU deluxe sold better too.

That said the S is quite a bit different to those.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Weird the PS2 was weaker than the competition.
Same with the Wii. Same with the DS

But the PS2 wasn't low spec. It was weaker because it released almost two years before the Xbox and Gamecube. That's like saying the Dreamcast was low spec because it released 3 years before the Xbox.

I can't really think of any cases like the Series S, where it's a weaker version of the same console.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, selling powerful consoles cheap and then gouging customer on game price is the way to go Jim.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Ok Jim.

And there is nothing about the Series S/X strategy that is remotely comparable to what's been done in the past, no?

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
jUZ4orl.gif

lino

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What comparison is he even making???

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
There are no prior direct analogues to what the Series X/S ecosystem is trying to do, so it's a silly statement.

You could bring up the DS (vs PSP), Wii (VS PS3/360), Wii U / Switch (vs PS4/XBO), I guess? But even then, those systems weren't designed in conjunction with each other.

Munroe

May 17, 2019
I think he is right. In my opinion Xbox Series X won't exist in three years.

Xbox One X seems to be on the way out and how old is that?

Ehh? Typo? Guessing you meant Series S?

The one X was just a mid-gen refresh, a more powerful refresh than we're used to but is still an Xbox One at its core. It's no different to any other refreshes that we've had that generally only lasts a few years.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
He added: "Based on our research, it's clear that people who buy a game console want to continue using it for four, five, six or even seven years. They want to believe they have bought something that is future-proofed and not going to be outdated in two-to-three years."

Is this satire? Sony themselves introduced the PS4Pro 3 years after the PS4...

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
The only one that I can think of he could be referring to is that 360 edition that was the cheaper one back in the day? 360 Slim or something like that? IIRC, it apparently sold significantly less than the normal version, due to the memory maybe. I may be fuzzy on the details. But as far as I know, the specs were still the same. I don't think there's been a situation like the Series S specifically in the past.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Lol this is gonna be a thread to watch.

Also yeah I cant think of any examples of a low priced console "not having great results, in the past." What is he even reffering to?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
There's literally no previous examples of this in the console arena. At best you can point to reduced featureset models (360 Core, PS3 20GB, Wii U Basic, Vita WiFi, etc) but even there it's more like 50/50 success ratio.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Woo. Jim Ryan. Just.. Alright. Took out the claws lol

He added: "Based on our research, it's clear that people who buy a game console want to continue using it for four, five, six or even seven years. They want to believe they have bought something that is future-proofed and not going to be outdated in two-to-three years.

"They want to have faith that if they end up buying a new TV that their current console will be able to support that new 4K TV they are considering on buying."
I honestly just don't agree. 1440p, even 1080p upscaled to 4k will look just fine. It seems like a pretty smart implementation of "lower spec" in a console. We'll see how the marketing chooses to advance this, though.

Meanwhile, Xbox is being classy:
Love it! Kudos to them

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
New information from an interview with the Japanese publication AV Watch, translated by VGC.
www.videogameschronicle.com

Series S-style consoles ‘have not had great results’, says PlayStation boss | VGC

Jim Ryan claims Sony considered a lower spec PS5, but decided it would be too ‘problematic’…
"The first thing I would like to say is that I respect every competitor's decision and their philosophies," Ryan said.

"Clearly, price is a very important factor. We respect other companies' competitive strategies. However, we are fully committed to and believe in our current strategy and the effect it will have.

"One thing that can be said is that if you look at the history of the game business, creating a special low priced, reduced spec console is something that has not had great results in the past. We've considered that option and seen other executives who have attempted this discover how problematic it is."

He added: "Based on our research, it's clear that people who buy a game console want to continue using it for four, five, six or even seven years. They want to believe they have bought something that is future-proofed and not going to be outdated in two-to-three years.

"They want to have faith that if they end up buying a new TV that their current console will be able to support that new 4K TV they are considering on buying."

Sony is planning to release two PlayStation 5 models in November. However, unlike Xbox's Series S and X, the only difference between the two PS5 consoles will be the inclusion of an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive, which the Digital Edition console sacrifices for a lower price point.

At $300 / £250, Microsoft's Xbox Series S console is significantly cheaper than the $500 / £449 Series X, thanks to lower specs than target 1440p gaming instead of native 4K.

Edit: Duplicate thread, mods please close.