• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Godzilla looks garbage CGIFest , i saw trailer multiple movies endgame,john wick etc good luck those gonna watch that computer generated shit. Atleast X-Men still has McAvoy,Fassbender acting
you are spending too much time on forums to think if general audience cares that shit.
X-men is household name , its edgy looking which helps, last x-men movie for while and has actual actors instead of monsters cgi plus game of thrones actors while its super hot.
So this is you placing your official bet then?

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Have to put the lack of hype squarely on Godzilla 2014. Movie had great marketing but was a dud

Oct 27, 2017
So... are you taking the bet?
lol, i don't do avatar bets. but thank you for the X-men tracking information.

That definitely is surprising with how rocky and plain bad everything we're hearing about production. I think the terrible WoM will really stunt it's domestic legs compared to Godzilla, but with China, who knows.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
You might want to wait for reviews before this.

Godzilla reviews are out this next week. Dark Phoenix reviews are the day before the Thursday showings.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be shocked if G:KoM made more than the first one domestically. If just seems like a tone poem with no story or characters I want to spend time with that aren't CG creatures.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
You might want to wait for reviews before this.

Godzilla reviews are out this next week. Dark Phoenix reviews are the day before the Thursday showings.
tumblr_n7ymp50INu1t86zbxo4_r1_250.gif

Ghostmate

Dec 11, 2017
With all the avatar bets going on, everybody on this board is gonna have like 1 of 5 distinct avatars.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take that bet #TeamGodzilla

Come May 31st, there are going to be some hurt feelings from the X-Men team...

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
you are spending too much time on forums to think if general audience cares that shit.
X-men is household name , its edgy looking which helps, last x-men movie for while and has actual actors instead of monsters cgi plus game of thrones actors while its super hot.

I don't think people care about the CGI aspect as much as you think. Regardless of that it's got an over the top draw.

GOT actors being as hot as it is the X-Men franchise hasn't been consistent in total sales with or without them. Godzilla has the film debut of Millie Bobby Brown which is getting the film extra media coverage.

Days of Future Past grossed more than 2014 Godzilla (and I think that was because of the old and new cast being in it). Apocalypse just barely went over 2014 Godzilla movie worldwide. My prediction is Godzilla:KotM will be better produced than the last one and have more word of mouth.

Super hero fatigue is real. Avengers are beating it out of us. Look at Deadpool 2.

Lastly, while the plot has been done already a few times for Godzilla:KotM we are talking about way old school Godzilla and not Hollywood Godzilla. I've seen the handling of Dark Phoenix already.

This is all from an old school X-Men fan, signed comics and all. Fox hasn't treated them as well as they could have. I welcome our Disney overlords.

Edit: I'm going to clarify my Deadpool 2 comment before it gets called out. Yes it sold almost equal to Deadpool 1. Yes it was the highest grossing X-Men movie (tells a lot for X-Men too). Unfortunately it sold less domestically.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
For the record, I think Dark Phoenix looks terrible and I won't be seeing it. I will be seeing Godzilla opening weekend, though.

The tracking for both movies is really close, so I can see the total grosses being pretty close, I just have a strong gut feeling that China will like Dark Phoenix more and that'll edge it over Godzilla, even though I would prefer that Godzilla win.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me, I've pretty much won the TecChu bet already and am probably gonna win both my Endgame related bets, so fuck it, here we go:

#TeamGojira

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol are you just trying to top the $1b Pikachu thread?

Honestly, this is actually the most dangerous avatar bet we've had of this recent run of BO-related bets. On one hand, Godzilla clearly looks like the better movie and I'd be shocked if Dark Phoenix was in anyway better. On the other hand, the "end of an era" type marketing combined with people stumbling into it thinking it's an MCU film might actually carry Dark Phoenix over Godzilla.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Because "Game of Thrones actors" really helped Terminator Megadrive.

Yes I am %100 sure Godzilla will be bomb.
#teamxmen
not that i like x-men , i just think godzilla looks garbage.Kong was garbage and boring fest Loki guy barely saved movie and it had good music. Godzilla 2014 was also another garbage movie.
Do you even know what a box office bomb is? Never mind that you seem to be basing all this entirely on whether or not you personally liked it.

crotchett

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
I hope this comes to fruition just b/c I hate MBB's fucking face. What a terrible actor she is.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Honestly, this is actually the most dangerous avatar bet we've had of this recent run of BO-related bets. On one hand, Godzilla clearly looks like the better movie and I'd be shocked if Dark Phoenix was in anyway better. On the other hand, the "end of an era" type marketing combined with people stumbling into it thinking it's an MCU film might actually carry Dark Phoenix over Godzilla.

As of last week both had the same domestic opening weekend tracking: Dark Phoenix and Godzilla around $50mil. Might all come down to international legs

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I love box office discussion but I feel so eh about either of these films that I don't even bothered projecting where either it's heading. But Dark Phoenix will definitely flop harder.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
For the record, I think Dark Phoenix looks terrible and I won't be seeing it. I will be seeing Godzilla opening weekend, though.

The tracking for both movies is really close, so I can see the total grosses being pretty close, I just have a strong gut feeling that China will like Dark Phoenix more and that'll edge it over Godzilla, even though I would prefer that Godzilla win.

I dont think its just china. People dont care for godzilla or monsters. While x-men even shit state its still superheroes. Parents,older people , kids will want to see super heroes not cgi monsters

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think its just china. People dont care for godzilla or monsters. While x-men even shit state its still superheroes. Parents,older people , kids will want to see super heroes not cgi monsters
Yes if there's one thing general audiences hate in blockbuster films it's "giant spectacle action".

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
you cant see things . same thing happened with Pacific rim too
Godzilla 2014 had a higher opening in the US than all but one of the X-Men films (The Last Stand in 2006). I don't think X-Men is quite the insurmountable draw you think it is, especially when Dark Phoenix is the lame duck post-Disney buyout final release, and is coming off a poor entry in X-Men Apocalypse that disappointed at the BO. Spider-Man, Batman or the Avengers they are not, Fox has never built the mainline X-Men series into the juggernaut it ought to be (Deadpool 1 and 2 are the highest grossing films in the X-Men franchise, with Logan fourth, consider that).
The reason Godzilla 2014 had poor legs was specifically because it had very little actual Godzilla in it, and only monster brawling action in its ending, despite its marketing promise lots of spectacle action, things King of the Monsters clearly has in spades.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Yes if there's one thing general audiences hate in blockbuster films it's "giant spectacle action".

Days of Future Past made almost $750mil. Logan $619mil. Both spinoffs (Deadpool 1 and 2) $780+mil each. Only one film with X-Men in it (Apocalypse) made under $550mil, and it was $7mil shy

Skull Island made $566mil and Godzilla 2014 made $529mil

Whether history holds is the question, and how close tracking is on all sides means it's a damn good question nobody can answer for sure just yet. What we know is there's precedent for those who think there's ceiling of under $600mil for the Monsterverse even when there's a lot of hype, and what we think is either 1) the hype from those who are interested in Godzilla will rewatch it enough that it hits or even breaks that ceiling, or 2) how trash Dark Phoenix has consistently looked throughout its marketing and development period will negatively affect how much people see it even for trainwreck entertainment value, even moreso than it did for Apocalypse

I ain't betting either way because of how close everything's looking from the tracking already, but that it's even close is only a bad sign for Godzilla considering how hyped those trailers were

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I don't think anyone who has been paying attention will be surprised at which one the better movie is.

When are Godzilla reviews BTW?
I already know that Godzilla will review better. That's not the bet.

Godzilla 2014 had a higher opening in the US than all but one of the X-Men films (The Last Stand in 2006). I don't think X-Men is quite the insurmountable draw you think it is, especially when Dark Phoenix is the lame duck post-Disney buyout final release, and is coming off a poor entry in X-Men Apocalypse that disappointed at the BO. Spider-Man, Batman or the Avengers they are not, Fox has never built the mainline X-Men series into the juggernaut it ought to be (Deadpool 1 and 2 are the highest grossing films in the X-Men franchise, with Logan fourth, consider that).
The reason Godzilla 2014 had poor legs was specifically because it had very little actual Godzilla in it, and only monster brawling action in its ending, despite its marketing promise lots of spectacle action, things King of the Monsters clearly has in spades.
So are you betting?