• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will The Rise of Skywalker make over 200m opening weekend domestically?

• Over 200m

Votes: 628 78.9%
  • Under 200m

Votes: 168 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 31, 2017
You have it all backwards. Star Wars is now just another franchise whereas it used to be the biggest franchise. But whatever, everyone can see what you've written and I doubt you're going to get anyone agreeing. It's just common sense.

I'm so late on this, but nah, yo. TheHunter is correct that Star Wars simply has more competition since these kind of popcorn blockbusters weren't as prevalent before Star Wars was a thing.

Star Wars twice was the highest grossing movie of the year this decade, with Force Awakens smashing an opening weekend record and easily becoming the highest-grossing movie domestically of all-time. Two of them were billion-dollar movies, and adjusting for inflation doesn't really work because how we consume movies is completely different. Back in the day, watching movies at home wasn't as big. Movies didn't release on home video a few months after a theatrical release; you had to continue to watch it in theaters and wait for re-releases. You didn't have a ton of channels in 1977 on cable syndicating movies to watch at home as we do now where tons of movies can be watched at any time on cable/satellite. You didn't have all these streaming sites and Redbox rentals and ability to purchase movies on Playstation/Xbox/Amazon/iTunes/etc. Which makes Force Awakens even more impressive because it grossed more than Empire and RotJ even when adjusted to inflation, and Last Jedi outgrossing pre-Disney prequels, save for Phantom Menace, which was an event movie similar to Force Awakens.

But all that aside, you're talking about movies that are able to be the #1 movie of the year while still making bank on home video (Last Jedi was the best-selling Blu-Ray of 2018, and Force Awakens the best-selling Blu-Ray of its year), downloads, streaming, and syndication, never mind merchandising.

It's easy to be the biggest franchise head over heels when you're not competing with as many of these blockbuster films. There's no Jurassic Park, no MCU with events movies ranging from a culmination in Endgame to an event like Black Panther, there's no record-breaking Batman films or Dark Knight trilogy, there's no Pirates of the Caribbean (which we forget was a monster in 06), no Spider-Man trilogy, no Toy Story, no Shrek, no Hunger Games, no Twilight, no Lord of the Rings, no Avatar, no Lion King, no Finding Nemo, no nothing. Those movies weren't there. Now they are, so Star Wars isn't the only cool kid on the block, and it's still a powerhouse.

Perhaps RoS should have been a better movie with better word-of-mouth. It'll be the odd one out in a series of bank-busting, critically acclaimed movies that made money hand over fist, and it'll still rake in dough.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Name me one movie that has a chance of breaking that 900m Dom record.

Avatar 2 is it. And I doubt it will even crack 700 this time.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
I'm hoping they wait a phase or two before attempting another Avengers. Let F4/X-Men/Silver Surfer movies come out, THEN set-up another Avengers series of movies.

They'll need Dr. Doom or Galactus if they want anyone that can realistically compete or exceed Thanos as a multi-phase final villain.

If they execute that well, yeah, I could potentially see the domestic record being broken.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping they wait a phase or two before attempting another Avengers. Let F4/X-Men/Silver Surfer movies come out, THEN set-up another Avengers series of movies.

They'll need Dr. Doom or Galactus if they want anyone that can realistically compete or exceed Thanos as a multi-phase final villain.

If they execute that well, yeah, I could potentially see the domestic record being broken.

X-Men Vs Avengers will break records

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Avengers vs. X-Men. The X-Men by themselves aren't 900 million popular, not by a long shot.

The X-Men are the most popular and successful superheros of all time. They were household names well before they had movies and the fox films didn't ever give audiences the characters as everyone knew them.

I don't know how well Disney and Feige can execute, but a proper X-Men film with the characters as they were when they were multimedia giants would be an event as big as Black Panther and Captain Marvel combined.

Properly handled, Storm and Rogue will immediately be the most popular characters in the MCU.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because TLJ did quite well in the box office and iirc also digital and BR sales. TLJ will do better than ROS $ wise and the main reason for that is that ROS is a worse film than TLJ (imo it's nearly as bad as PM and AotC). It's the last chapter in a beloved franchise. If it was a good movie it would do extremely well $ wise. It's problem is itself.

Lol. I know so many star Wars fans who either begrudgingly saw this film or didn't see it at all. TLJ had a long term effect on this franchise and if you can't see that you probably can't see a whole lot of other stuff in the modern political landscape.

It was the most divisive topic I've seen in my lifetime. It was bound to burn fans and damage the franchise. Even if you think it was a great film you have to recognize how wildly divisive it is.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Lol. I know so many star Wars fans who either begrudgingly saw this film or didn't see it at all. TLJ had a long term effect on this franchise and if you can't see that you probably can't see a whole lot of other stuff in the modern political landscape.

It was the most divisive topic I've seen in my lifetime
. It was bound to burn fans and damage the franchise. Even if you think it was a great film you have to recognize how wildly divisive it is.
Take a look in the mirror, my friend.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It was the most divisive topic I've seen in my lifetime.
It was bound to burn fans and damage the franchise. Even if you think it was a great film you have to recognize how wildly divisive it is.

lol hahahaha I hope this is satire because it's hilarious

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017

Best selling comic of all time, ridiculously popular cartoon, video games, trading cards, and toyline. All of which happened before the movies. Which is the key point.

Aside from the X-Men, only Spider-Man was ever popular outside of the MCU (Cap was popular around WW2 but never afterward).

The Avengers were nothing and Batman and Superman had been in films going back to black and white serials.

The X-Men were always the biggest property Marvel had to offer and that's why the X-Men and Spidey film rights were sold off way back when no one cared about any other Marvel properties.

It's worth noting that the myth about the rights being sold due to bankruptcy is completely false. Those rights had sold years before because Marvel was always a really poorly run company.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Best selling comic of all time, ridiculously popular cartoon, video games, trading cards, and toyline. All of which happened before the movies. Which is the key point.

Aside from the X-Men, only Spider-Man was ever popular outside of the MCU (Cap was popular around WW2 but never afterward).

The Avengers were nothing and Batman and Superman had been in films going back to black and white serials.

The X-Men were always the biggest property Marvel had to offer and that's why the X-Men and Spidey film rights were sold off way back when no one cared about any other Marvel properties.

It's worth noting that the myth about the rights being sold due to bankruptcy is completely false. Those rights had sold years before because Marvel was always a really poorly run company.

The X-Men haven't been anywhere near that level of popularity since the 90s though, and even back in their glory days then you had Spider-Man and Batman as more popular, just looking at merch sales. I don't see them becoming box office giants anytime soon.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
TPqNzsQ.gif

While looking for my old avatar I found anime Jesus on my hdd, so while I'm figuring out what to do now that I'm free that's what I'm going with in the meantime.

Crazy to think it's been that long

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Even you underestimated his hackiness.

Which is hilarious to me given that I created this thread after the first trailer and everyone call me mad. I feel that thread should be unlocked so I can be vindicated.

www.resetera.com

Is JJ Abrams the King of All Hacks now?

Listen, you've seen the Episode IX trailer. You heard the laugh. You saw Ian McDermid on stage. And, JJ and Kathleen straight up confirmed Palpatine is back. You also saw the Death Star, again, in that same trailer. Thus you have to ask, is JJ the hackiest hack to every ride into hackdom? This...

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
interested to see what i'd think about this movie now the dust settled and relatively nerd rage'd out

some stuff i think i wouldn't mind so much but yeah... i probably won't bother

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Ironic that this will be the last film for a long time to open to those numbers & do $1 Bill worldwide LOL

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
interested to see what i'd think about this movie now the dust settled and relatively nerd rage'd out

some stuff i think i wouldn't mind so much but yeah... i probably won't bother

I tried to watch it a second time and couldn't get through it. I never thought it would happen, but we have a new worst Star Wars movie. Attack of the Clones had an impressive run, but George Lucas' weak direction and dialogue cannot compete with JJ Abrams' complete lack of storytelling ability.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Which is hilarious to me given that I created this thread after the first trailer and everyone call me mad. I feel that thread should be unlocked so I can be vindicated.

www.resetera.com

Is JJ Abrams the King of All Hacks now?

Listen, you've seen the Episode IX trailer. You heard the laugh. You saw Ian McDermid on stage. And, JJ and Kathleen straight up confirmed Palpatine is back. You also saw the Death Star, again, in that same trailer. Thus you have to ask, is JJ the hackiest hack to every ride into hackdom? This...

"King of All Hacks" is a very impressive title, lol

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to watch it a second time and couldn't get through it. I never thought it would happen, but we have a new worst Star Wars movie. Attack of the Clones had an impressive run, but George Lucas' weak direction and dialogue cannot compete with JJ Abrams' complete lack of storytelling ability.

half a year removed i think the whole indiana jones-ish finding the sith planet thing is cool in theory. and lame as rey palpatine is it's a neat thing to look back at and pick apart

but then i think about how i'll have to suffer through stuff like kerry fisher's useless arc, threepio and chewbacca death fakeouts, stuff like that ... it's just like ughh

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
half a year removed i think the whole indiana jones-ish finding the sith planet thing is cool in theory. and lame as rey palpatine is it's a neat thing to look back at and pick apart

but then i think about how i'll have to suffer through stuff like kerry fisher's useless arc, threepio and chewbacca death fakeouts, stuff like that ... it's just like ughh

Yup. The closest it comes to anything of interest is finding Exegol, but Abrams and Terrio can't even do that right. So the dagger shows the way to Exegol. Except really it shows the way to the Sith wayfinder that shows the way to Exegol. Which is in Palpatine's destroyed throne room from the Death Star II. Which for some reason is indicated by the device in the ancient Sith dagger even though the wreckage is only 30ish years old. And the dagger was in the possession of the bounty hunter that was tracking down Palpatine's son for him, presumably so the guy could find Exegol and deliver him to Palpatine. But why make the guy you hired follow a goddamn scavenger hunt to finish the job you hired him to do? Why not have him meet a go-between so you don't have to give out the location of the secret Sith planet to some rando? Because if you didn't intend for him to come to Exegol why give him the dagger? And for that matter why did he leave Rey on Jakku? Are we supposed to really believe that her mother saying "She's NOT on Jakku!" was believed, especially since according to Rey's memory in TFA she was literally within visual range of the ship as it left, and the ship turned out to be the bounty hunter's, not her parents'? Why not dump her on a nice planet instead of on a hellhole wastepit in the charge of a monster who wouldn't feed her?

1461295942477.gif

Almost every single plot point in the movie is like this. None of it fits together, none of adds up to anything, none of it is taking you anywhere except to the next plot contrivance. It never breathes, it never has a quiet moment outside of the (admittedly solid) Han scene, and it has no idea what to do with any of its characters at any time. It's an absolute mess from start to finish. Impressive in its way, but the worst thing about it is that it's not bad like the other bad Star Wars movies. It doesn't feel like Star Wars, it feels like a shitty JJ Abrams movie written by the guy who wrote Justice League. As Patrick H. Willems says, I can accept the story of the prequels as having "happened" in the Star Wars canon. I cannot accept the events of Rise of Skywalker in the same way, because none of it fits together with itself, let alone with the rest of the story told by the franchise. I didn't expect TROS to be great or anything but I simply wasn't ready for how bad it turned out to be. Sometimes I think about it and am floored all over again that it's a thing that happened and exists and not some kind of crazed fever dream I had.