• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will The Rise of Skywalker make over 200m opening weekend domestically?

• Over 200m

Votes: 628 78.9%
  • Under 200m

Votes: 168 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 27, 2017
The real fun will be if I decide to make my "Frozen 2 will outgross TROS" avatar bet thread
tenor.gif

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If Revenge of the Sith can make more money after the masterpiece of Attack of the Clones...

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm in. Easy over 200. IMAX and specialty screens are going to boost its total

This feels like that toy story 4 vs pokemon thread. People were upset by the trailers and how TS4 did not need to exist.

This feels the same away.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take it one step above and say it hits $300m OW, and you can give me a even worse avatar if it doesn't.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This is a tough one. Some context:

Force Awakens domestic opening - $247.9 million
Last Jedi domestic opening - $220 million

That's a huge drop, but I think the fact that this is the last one, along with bringing back the Emperor, should generate enough excitement to put RoS around TLJ's opening.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is a tough one. Some context:

Force Awakens domestic opening - $247.9 million
Last Jedi domestic opening - $220 million

That's a huge drop, but I think the fact that this is the last one, along with bringing back the Emperor, should generate enough excitement to put RoS around TLJ's opening.
That's 11% drop..

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It will certainly under-perform due to Star Wars fatigue (after Solo, people I knew were like "another Star Wars movie?" when RotS was announced) and less than stellar marketing, but I'm sure it will still do good numbers.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Voted but not betting. I think it would have done crazy high numbers regardless, but Palpatine is going to put a lot of butts on seats that might have otherwise skipped it in the theatre.

Things I want to see:

- Rey fights Darth Maul force ghost; wins
- BB8 fights R2D2 (one is being controlled by the dark side/a virus) but then they get better and team up and destroy BB9E, who was watching and "laughing"
- Hux discovers the force is strong with him in the second act. He gets a purple lightsaber
- ...But he is killed by Finn in the final battle with an surprise assist from Watto (audience cheers)
- Kylo becomes the coolest cyborg in the series in the first 5 mins. He has lightsaber legs, and when you open his mask, his face is made of lightsabers
- Gungan dog

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you wanted real stakes and petty infighting you should have made the bet about whether or not it will do better than TLJ. This is kids level stuff.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I have my doubts it will match TLJ's lifetime numbers (due to backlash, fatigue with Star Wars in general, other reasons), but cmon, $200 mil opening is not that high of a bar. Especially when "weekend" showings for these big movies tend to start like Wednesday night lol.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Fatigue."

What is fatigue in this case because it wasn't Solo. So much went into Solo's bomb that have been listed here so I can only laugh when fatigue is mentioned.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disney will be spending $200 million alone on marketing, it's going to make that in its sleep

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pirates: Dead Man's Chest (2006) had a bigger opening weekend than Revenge of the Sith (2005) and bigger gross domestic and WW ... man Star Wars was getting whupped in the 2000s.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars fans are the worst. The movie will make a lot of money and get good critical reviews even if you're still crying about RoS.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I didn't realize this was an avatar bet so I voted and can't invite. Just know I won't be changing my avatar for a bet. Thank you for understanding.