• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will The Rise of Skywalker make over 200m opening weekend domestically?

• Over 200m

Votes: 628 78.9%
  • Under 200m

Votes: 168 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantom Menace sucked, and Attack of the Clones really sucked. They were openly mocked and deried in mainstream media. Revenge of the Sith still had a bigger opening weekend than either of them.

Even if some huge majority of people secretly disliked The Last Jedi, that still doesn't mean that Rise of Skywalker won't be absolutely huge. I don't think you can underestimate the draw of it as the finale and conclusion to a huge saga.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to do ok, but I really don't feel the power of the Jedi in this trilogy.

prefer the prequel trilogy to be honest

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantom Menace sucked, and Attack of the Clones really sucked. They were openly mocked and deried in mainstream media. Revenge of the Sith still had a bigger opening weekend than either of them.

Even if some huge majority of people secretly disliked The Last Jedi, that still doesn't mean that Rise of Skywalker won't be absolutely huge. I don't think you can underestimate the draw of it as the finale and conclusion to a huge saga.
The loudest TLJ haters will be there opening weekend and the first to preorder tickets.

If you can't shut up about a movie for two years straight you aren't skipping its sequel.

Everyone insisting Star Wars is dead will be there to see it in theaters.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The prequels got their ass kicked in the 2000s to be fairly honest. Attack of the Clones got destroyed by Spider-Man head to head, Revenge of the Sith got whupped by Pirates 2 and Shrek 2.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The openings are going backwards, I'd say $190
the fall from TFA to TLJ was near identical to the drop of ESB from ANH and AOTC from TPM.

To the point it's almost eerie how near exactly close they all 3 were in their drop.

And ROTJ and ROTS both went on to rebound over AOTC and ESB.

if the pattern continues to hold we will get 4>6>5 1>3>2 and 7>9>8

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Openings for last movies in trilogies are always huge, generally bigger than the second one. Only exception is stuff like Hunger Games which was chopped into multiple parts.

Safe money is on this beating TLJ in most categories.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember how Fast & Furious 7 had the biggest opening and biggest box office take of the entire series because people had a kind of morbid curiousity about how they were going to bid farewell to Paul Walker?

Rise of Skywalker will probably have a similar "appeal" due to it being Carrie Fisher's final performance and a definitive end for her character.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess would be some what above $200 mill opening weekend + $1.4-1.5 billion WW assuming the movie is decent.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only real questionable thing is if moving the film slightly closer to Christmas might have any negative effect. TFA did gangbusters around December 18.......December 20 I think you might have less people showing up as they try to get last-minute holiday stuff done.

I guess it might help that all schools will probably be out by that point. Some part of Last Jedi's dip might have been that a lot of schools were probably still in session.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars is quite honestly a bit overrated box office wise when it does not have like a 12-16 year hype build up.

Empire and ROTJ got demolished by E.T.

Attack of the Clones got destroyed by Spider-Man and The Two Towers and Harry Potter.

Revenge of the Sith was beaten soundly by Pirates 2, Shrek 2, and Return of The King and completely destroyed by Avatar and The Dark Knight.

Last Jedi was easily bested by the Avengers Infinity Saga films and Jurassic World.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars is quite honestly a bit overrated box office wise when it does not have like a 12-16 year hype build up.

Attack of the Clones got destroyed by Spider-Man and The Two Towers and Harry Potter.

Revenge of the Sith was beaten soundly by Pirates 2, Shrek 2, and Return of The King and completely destroyed by Avatar and The Dark Knight.

Not to mention the entire brand being irrelevant in Asia with the exception of Japan.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Matrix would like to say hello.
Even Matrix Revolutions probably would have done better if it hadn't gotten dumped in early November, and had a bit more time to let the stench of Reloaded wear off.

In retrospect I think even the studio knew Revolutions was a mega-dud and just wanted to quietly get it out of the way.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Any competent director could've directed TFA and nothing would've changed box office wise.
Lol alright, any director would have achieved the greatest domestic box office film of all time and 2B, because SW right

Has nothing to do with JJ being pretty damn great at pleasing crowds and rebooting franchises in terms of BO success

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
giphy.gif
Not in the US but WW I think it takes it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol alright, any director would have achieved the greatest domestic box office film of all time and 2B, because SW right

Has nothing to do with JJ being pretty damn great at pleasing crowds and rebooting franchises in terms of BO success

I mean he has appeal in a sense, but JJ has none of the other top 10 or even 20 grossing films and his second Star Trek movie was a dissapointment. He's not exactly James Cameron.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean he has appeal in a sense, but JJ has none of the other top 10 or even 20 grossing films and his second Star Trek movie made a lot less than the first. He's not exactly James Cameron.
There's a reason why JJ was chosen to come back after Trevorrow bombed.

Otherwise, if it doesn't actually matter, why not just choose whatever "competent director"?

To reduce EP9 to "anybody competent director would have achieved those results" is absurd, full stop

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018

TFA was a marketing gold mine, no one went to see this movie because of JJ fucking Abrams lmao

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a reason why JJ was chosen to come back after Trevorrow bombed.

Otherwise, if it doesn't actually matter, why not just choose whatever "competent director"?

To reduce EP9 to "anybody competent director would have achieved those results" is absurd, full stop

I mean his cheery style probably helps, I'm just saying he's not exactly the biggest box office draw. He's had one film top $400 million WW in his career other than The Force Awakens I believe. He's not exactly a Spielberg (prime) or Cameron or something like that.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

Last Jedi was easily bested by the Avengers Infinity Saga films and Jurassic World.
That Infinity Saga, you mean Black Panther? Yeah a movie having stuff like "if you don't see it you're racist" "all black people must see it" and of course Avengers hype behind it, no way it could sell those numbers without these factors. While TLJ was on its own as a second entry.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Remember how Fast & Furious 7 had the biggest opening and biggest box office take of the entire series because people had a kind of morbid curiousity about how they were going to bid farewell to Paul Walker?

Rise of Skywalker will probably have a similar "appeal" due to it being Carrie Fisher's final performance and a definitive end for her character.

If a movie's going to have a box office bump from an actor's passing (God that sounds morbid), I would assume TLJ would have benefitted instead. The Rise of Skywalker is coming 3 years after Carrie Fisher's passing.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

TLJ was Carrie Fisher's final performance.

TROS is using old footage of her.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Infinity Saga, you mean Black Panther? Yeah a movie having stuff like "if you don't see it you're racist" "all black people must see it" and of course Avengers hype behind it, no way it could sell those numbers without these factors. While TLJ was on its own as a second entry.

No I mean Infinity War and Endgame slapped The Last Jedi around box office wise easily.

Star Wars sequels get dunked on a lot, they're not the defacto box office champion Star Wars fans would like you to believe they are.

Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones don't even make the top 5 WW box office for the 2000s which is a monumental disappointment.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
No I mean Infinity War and Endgame slapped The Last Jedi around box office wise easily.

Star Wars sequels get dunked on a lot, they're not the defacto box office champion Star Wars fans would like you to believe they are.

Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones don't even make the top 5 WW box office for the 2000s which is a monumental disappointment.
Dude Avengers is like 10 fucking times bigger than Star Wars in the world, no SW movie can reach the Avengers popularity level in the world ever.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
TFA was a marketing gold mine, no one went to see this movie because of JJ fucking Abrams lmao
I never said people literally went because they knew JJ Abrams was directing. Disney/LF went to JJ because the was the best guy for the job. Why do you think he will have written and directed two out of three of the ST episodes (regardless of the drama with Trevorrow)?

The idea that just any whatever director would have waltzed in and achieved those numbers is absolutely disingenuous. SW was guaranteed a success of some kind, but not nearly 1B dom/2B WW.
I mean his cheery style probably helps, I'm just saying he's not exactly the biggest box office draw. He's had one film top $400 million WW in his career other than The Force Awakens I believe. He's not exactly a Spielberg (prime) or Cameron or something like that.
I never said he's Cameron, I'm not even saying anything about the quality of his films. Just that he's a box office draw, and a massive one, as shown in 2015. The best example we have to use is literally within the trilogy that we're talking about. He knows how to crowd please. He knows how to sell Star Wars. He proved this with TFA.

Again, 2/3 ST films is not a coincidence, it's not like there's a shortage of directors to jump on fucking Star Wars lol

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude Avengers is like 10 fucking times bigger than Star Wars in the world, no SW movie can reach the Avengers popularity level in the world ever.

Lots of movies beat Star Wars sequels all the time.

Revenge of the Sith barely beat Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen WW lol and was badly beaten by several others.

Last Jedi couldn't come close to Jurassic World and was basically tied by the crappy Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom sequel.

Star Wars is overrated box office wise when it doesn't have the luxury of the 10+ year wait which forces normal people to get off the couch and go "ok fine, I'll go see a Star War". They make good money sure, but there's an overrating of them as some kind of untouchable box office force, there's lots of contemporary comparables to every Star Wars sequel that's made a good deal more money.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Who thinks Black Panther when they think of Infinity Saga?

Are you saying part of its massive success is due to people being forced to watch it because they were afraid of being labelled a racist?

What % of the audience did that make?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Force Awakens outgrossed the first two Avengers movies with ease. The problem is that the MCU grew like crazy afterwards while Star Wars declined.

The Force Awakens is an outlier because it had like 10+ years of pent up hype.

Look at every Star Wars film that doesn't have that ... they get beaten easily by a lot of comparables.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every Star Wars sequel released (aside from Solo) has made more money than Frozen. That bet seems like it would be pretty stacked in favor of SW.

I'm not sure what sort of metric you mean by "Star Wars sequel" but (unadjusted for inflation obviously) Frozen has outgrossed every single Star Wars movie ever made except TFA and TLJ, with the latter only making $60 million more.

TROS is:

- The sequel to what might be the most controversially polarizing blockbuster film ever made
- Being released with moderate competition
- Has had a marketing and promotional campaign with mixed reception; there is a massive fog of (arguably manufactured) negativity around everything connected to this film
- Being released during a low point for the franchise's public perception
- Heavily dependant on how well it pleases fans; that is, fan reception and repeat viewing will decide if it makes $1.2 billion or $2.2 billion
- Basically dead on arrival in nearly every international territory outside the English-speaking world

Frozen 2 is:

- The long-awaited sequel to the most popular animated movie of the 21st century
- Being released with zero credible competition
- Has had a well-received marketing campaign that has attracted interest from a broad demographic (such as men) outside of its original viewership
- As a franchise, is still extremely popular and well-liked in the public eye; the brand has only grown since the original film's theatrical release
- Because kids have no taste, it will make a ton of money no matter what its actual quality and is not beholden to the whims of a devout fanbase
- Like most animated Disney films, extremely popular internationally and outside the English-speaking world

It could go either way, honestly. I'm inclined to give the edge to TROS but it's hard to say. TLJ was proof you could make a god bleed. Solo was proof you could kill one.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They all did remarkably well when you consider how poorly-received their predecessors were. If Fellowship of the Ring or Pirates were as bad as TPM/AOTC, those franchises would have been absolutely sunk.

I think Rogue One is actually what shows the strength of the brand -- it's just some weird offshoot movie that covers mostly-known territory, and it still made a billion dollars at the box office. I imagine it's probably the highest grossing "side-story" film ever made, and I think is the highest-grossing prequel ever made.