• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
www.gamestar.de

Avatar: Erster Blockbuster, der Raytracing zur Pflicht macht - auch ohne RT-Grafikkarte

Ubisoft setzt bei Avatar voll auf Raytracing: Für die Beleuchtung wird es keine andere Render-Methode geben. Eine Raytracing-GPU braucht ihr dennoch nicht.

" Avatar will be a title that will only appear with ray tracing. But we're developing the game so that the quality and performance will be scalable.
Stefanov couldn't give us the exact performance data, but he at least states that the ray tracing calculations using the compute shader run " surprisingly quickly ".
Ray tracing is by no means the only aspect in which Avatar relies fully on "Next Gen". How important a fast SSD is for the game

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Fully ray-traced as in path-traced, or only with ray-tracing, like Metro Exodus Enhanced?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what framerate someone could realistically expect with the software raytracing on. I'm assuming low on most reasonable consumer CPUs?

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Seems unbelievable, unless this game wants to become the new Crysis.

"But, can your new PC run Avatar?" 👀

OP
OP
Ghostsonplanets
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, made a mistake. Will update the title.
Edit: Wait, you can't do that without a mod right? Can someone require a mod to do that?

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Most likely elements of the game like the lighting solution relies on real time global illumination through various ray tracing techniques, much like how Lumen works in Unreal Engine 5 and does it through software with options to accelerate it through hardware if present.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Translations by me regarding the ray-tracing:

They asked if Avatar will have settings like CP2077 where you can turn on/off ray-tracing settings like Lighting, shadows, reflections individually, thus making it possible to run only some parts using ray-tracing and some using traditional rendering methods.

Ubisoft says, that this won't be possible and the only rendering technique used will be ray-tracing, but you will be able to scale the options. (Speculation on my part: you can do settings like ray-traced lighting/shadows/reflections: low, mid, high, but not off).

Edit: They are NOT ONLY TALKING ABOUT ray-traced LIGHTING, but also SHADOWS and REFLECTIONS!

Last edited:

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
Metro Exodus makes me a believer. I don't know what I'm talking about, but that game ran beautifully and looked awesome.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If Ubi are saying that they are using Ray tracing that can't be disabled then I'd assume they are designing the art for atmosphere lit GI and GI emissive (plus normal directional sunlight)

IGN Article
OP
OP
Ghostsonplanets
Oct 25, 2017
IGN Article with developers where they talk a little about it:
www.ign.com

Why Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora Had to Be a Next-Gen Only Game - IGN

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora will be Ubisoft's first new-gen-only game – we spoke to its developers to find out why it demands next-gen hardware to run.
"but also when you're flying high up in the air – to have a lovely vista and far-distance rendering, where we can even use the ray tracing to do shadows super far away, you know, three or four kilometers away from you."
So a couple of examples, we have a completely new lighting system that is based on ray tracing, and I think it is a dramatic step up in quality that makes you feel like it's a real place. One tiny example is that it can actually handle the translucency of the leaves [...] so it can figure out how much of the light is reflected through the leaves, how tinted it is with the colors and everything else. You get lovely reflections and sights for the water, even down to the volumetric clouds up in the sky – they actually receive the correct lighting as well."

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
This sounds kinda crazy.

I originally thought this was a multiplayer game like The Division, but wouldn't that make these claims even harder to achieve?

Many questions about this game 🤔

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
Sebastian Lindoff, the first guy appears to have fangs, can anyone confirm that ?

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Graphically and technically, this was definitely the standout game from E3 (and Summer Games Fest) for me. Exciting to hear how they're building this game using RT.
Sebastian Lindoff, the first guy appears to have fangs, can anyone confirm that ?
I also noticed that it looked like he had fangs.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It won't be "fully raytraced" but it will require RT support. This will be the norm in a couple of years from now.

Interesting that they mention RT through compute. I wonder how that will work and on which GPUs.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It won't be "fully raytraced" but it will require RT support. This will be the norm in a couple of years from now.

Interesting that they mention RT through compute. I wonder how that will work and on which GPUs.

They mentioned software ray tracing exactly because it won't require hardware RT support.

Anyway, there's another part of the interview here: https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/avatar-snowdrop-engine-next-gen-pc,3371086.html

Can anyone with Gamestar Plus share some of the info?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
They mentioned software ray tracing exactly because it won't require hardware RT support.

Anyway, there's another part of the interview here: https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/avatar-snowdrop-engine-next-gen-pc,3371086.html

Can anyone with Gamestar Plus share some of the info?
You can't just run RT in "s/w" when there's is no h/w since if the RT itself is aimed at h/w performance then it will be a slide show without it. As I've said we need more info.