• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's right, the Sozin's Comet finale premiered on July 19th 2008. A week long event leading up to it from Nickelodeon, since they managed to butcher a lot of the release of season 3 of Avatar: The Last Airbender and just dumped episodes 12 to 21 within that July week.

It all came together on the 19th, where the series finale had 5.6 millions views at the time. It has been a decade since Aang and the gang's final adventure on screens. Culminating in a spectacular battle against Fire Lord Ozai, voiced by the remarkable Mark Hamill, Aang managed to come into his own as the Avatar and find a way to stop the Hundred Year war on his own terms. Zuko manages to reconcile with his uncle, surpass his sister with selflessness and kindness, and become Fire Lord.

The series finale is quite divisive among some for its deus ex machina like reveal of a secret form of bending and the reinstatement of Aang's super powered transformation, but despite all of that, I'm sure we can all appreciate all the work it took to get to this ending.

HAkLuUK.gif

Last edited:

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I just rewatched it with my boyfriend as he's never seen it.

It still holds up (though the first half of the first season, less so). So good. My favorite TV show of all time, even now.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone give me a push to watch this series?

My best bud is constantly telling me to watch this show and I kept saying no because I thought it wouldn't be to my taste. I finally picked up that blu-ray collection and I watched about 7 episodes.

I appreciate the voice work and the animation but it's just so...boring? It's exactly what I expected it to be - a kid's cartoon. It just seems so...shallow. And it seems really predictable.

Am I hopeless, or do I need to grind out a bit more to get to the good stuff?

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My best bud is constantly telling me to watch this show and I kept saying no because I thought it wouldn't be to my taste. I finally picked up that blu-ray collection and I watched about 7 episodes.

I appreciate the voice work and the animation but it's just so...boring? It's exactly what I expected it to be - a kid's cartoon. It just seems so...shallow. And it seems really predictable.

Just grind to the end of season 1 where the show fulfills its potential. Skip Ep 11 if you're really down on the childish episodes. And episode 13 is a good litmus test for if you'll like the show.

May 26, 2018

The first half of Season 1 is probably the weakest part of the show. If you keep watching, finish up on Winter Solstice, skip the Great Divide, and get to The Storm and The Blue Spirit. If you're still disliking it by then, I wouldn't recommend watching more. The show merely becomes better at doing its thing from there on.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
The finale is one of the most well-regarded endings of all time. Still a high watermark in terms of storytelling for me.

Watch until episode 12: The Storm. That is a representative sample of the type of storytelling the show will feature.

OP
OP
WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Watch episode 12 "The Storm" and episode 13 "The Blue Spirit".

If you aren't hooked after those two episodes, then you should just stop.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never had a problem with the ending and didn't realize others did until years after the fact. I felt like it made sense and fit in with the world they built.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never forget watching the finale live. I mean the whole show is magnificent, but the scale was unlike anything before it.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
In my Top 3 favorite shows of all time.

There's nothing quite like it.

And Zuko is one of the best characters across all mediums.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going through the comics now. They aren't as good (mostly because of pacing) but it feels nice to be able to see these characters again.

My favorite TV show of all time, even now.
Same. I keep searching for an animated show on the same level but nothing scratches that itch.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I felt
Aang getting hit in the back with a rock kind of... underwhelming, but otherwise the ending was spectacular.
Actually yes I agree with this. I didn't remember that moment till my rewatch and I kind of was left with the impression
"oh aang won because of an accident, not his own merits" and he didn't really master the avatar state, he just fell into it by chance.

I could of sworn there was a moment in the series where he finally regains full control of the avatar state on his own, but nope.

Still an awesome fight though.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
10 years.

Damn where has time gone?

One of my favourite all time series. And they delivered an ending which was conclusive, satisfying and pleased everyone.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I love that show. Season 2 is still one of my favorite seasons of TV ever.

Those motherfuckers took Appa!