• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Seeing it for my 4th and final time today.

Went out of my way to see it in laser IMAX before it's out of the PLF screens.

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
giphy.gif

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
$11.5m 8th weekend puts it below Home Alone's 8th weekend

anyone have a Kevin McCallister killing Navi gif handy

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Finally saw it for second time. Regular theater 3D HFR. I don't believe our imax had hfr? So this was my first time with it. Theater was half full on Saturday 11am.

It was noticeable mostly in the earlier scenes, but never jarring I thought, so complaints were overblown. I think this forum being gamers gives us a skewed perspective I doubt this is something the average viewer is picking up on or annoyed by. I thought HFR added to the film and I would be down with the entire movie being that way.

It was better the second go around! I feel like I was more focused on the plot this time because I had already taken in the visuals. The emotion hit harder because of this. It's easily better than A1 I think, the emotional core here is just so much stronger. JC really made a story about family interesting, I doubted the premise when I heard about it.

Last act still one of the best action sequences in film

Mucha

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Day 52 comparison:

Avatar 2 is at $2.174B, ($636M dom / $1.538B int) with a daily average of $41.80M, which is a decline of -$5.24M from day 45.

Avatar was at $2.209B (629M dom / $1.579B OS) with a daily average of $42.48M, which is a decline of -$2.83M from day 45.

The difference between both movies is now -$35M in favour of Avatar, which is a decline of -$113M compared to day 45 when it was: $78M in favour of Avatar 2. This is the first time in Avatar's 2 run that Avatar gained the worldwide total lead.

Where lies the differences:
International: -$41M for Avatar
Domestic: - $7M for Avatar 2
Total: -$35M for Avatar

Avatar added around $170M the past week, whereas Avatar 2 added 57M. Note that there are some deviations possible because of estimates vs actual. Could be 5M difference. But Avatar was a monster at this moment in time, and it shows.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I really thought it was going to hit the 2.5b on it's first run. Now I'm just ready for that nice, beautiful Blu-ray release!

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
As a member of team faithless, AND participant in this sometimes very heated thread, I feel we all win in the end. Or do we all lose? Eh, potato/potatoe.

Oct 25, 2017
It's all good fun, I'll happily take the tag and avatar. Seriously though I'm shocked that this is even getting close to 2.5 mark it was a joke of a requirement.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It was noticeable mostly in the earlier scenes, but never jarring I thought, so complaints were overblown. I think this forum being gamers gives us a skewed perspective I doubt this is something the average viewer is picking up on or annoyed by. I thought HFR added to the film and I would be down with the entire movie being that way.
Given the number of TVs with motion smoothing on in the world I agree most people probably won't notice or care, but I don't know what noticing it has to do with playing video games. Just walk into a Best Buy and look at the tvs, it doesn't take years of gaming to notice lol

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Given the number of TVs with motion smoothing on in the world I agree most people probably won't notice or care, but I don't know what noticing it has to do with playing video games. Just walk into a Best Buy and look at the tvs, it doesn't take years of gaming to notice lol

Because people who play video games are probably going to be more sensitive to it since it's a big part of video games.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that week over week drops average ~25% drops (which isn't realistic upfront, but is on the long tail) + total Mon-Thu weekday results that sum to ~50% of weekend box office you'll end up a little over $2.3B (~$2.329) after another 3 months. The issues with that:
  • The week over week drops have and will be >25%
  • Mon-Thu results have been trending more towards 40% of weekend
  • This won't make it another 3 months in theaters
This is over. :(

Seems like my calcs were close to where this will end up at.

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
Although less important than the sequels being secured… the silver lining of it "only" making 2.35 billion or so is that the it'll likely come to UHD bluray quicker. Wondering if there will be a combo 3D pack I can pick up imported.. in a few months.

OP
OP
less

less

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like my calcs were close to where this will end up at.

Seems pretty damn likely that you will be right with that prediction.

Did it not fully release in China?

It had a pretty wide release in China…but was completely screwed over by how a huge Covid outbreak occurred as the CCP ended zero Covid. That significantly hurt the film. Probably a minimum of $150-$200 million was lost due to the bad timing. Enough to have potentially gotten it over the finish line for the bet.