• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There are some people who find it almost too easy to stay out of controversy. It's very unlikely that any of those people are Gina Rodriguez.

Per USA Today, the Jane The Virgin star took to Instagram earlier this afternoon for an impromptu karaoke session, live from her seat in the hair and makeup department. Her song of choice: "Ready Or Not" by the Fugees, which is a timeless classic and an excellent pick. What wasn't so excellent, unfortunately, was the lyric she chose to rap along to, originally perfected by Lauryn Hill: "Voodoo/I can do what you do, easy, believe me/ Fronting [n-word] give me hee-bee-gee-bees." And in a move that could only serve to further confirm to her aversion to good decision-making, she posted the incident on her public Instagram account so that everyone could watch along in abject horror.

What she failed to capture in the short, now-deleted video was the veritable buffet of alternative choices at her disposal, including choosing a different lyric that didn't contain the term, exercising a modicum of restraint by skipping the word entirely, choosing a different song, or just not recording anything and allowing the nice makeup and hair professionals to do their jobs in peace. One would assume that a person who has had repeated issues with race (while claiming that they want to be better) would find any option more desirable than posting a video of themselves saying the n-word—in any context—on the immortal internet. Yet, here we are.

The incident garnered instant backlash, to which Rodriquez responded with an "apology" that doesn't directly address the specific transgression, but tosses a "sorry" to anyone potentially offending by her "singing along to the Fugees." Maybe this apology would work if the offense in question was singing a Fugees song, but it wasn't.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If you aren't used to self-censoring lyrics even when no one is around then I expect this is common.

She probably sings Trinidad James in the shower and goes all out.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"I am sorry if I offended anyone" = I'm not actually sorry I said it, just if you were offended.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
When I sing rap at karaoke, and a verse with the n-word comes along, it's a good time to take a sip of my beer. Pretty easy to avoid this.

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, for some reason Latinos using the n-word...seems to fall under a different category than other non-black races using it. Honestly, my gripe with her using it is less because she isn't black and more because she regularly throws black people under the bus

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
There are times when things celebrities say things that have a negative reception and I'm sure they didn't know better.

This isn't one of those. Really, Gina?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
This is interesting to me because she's Puerto Rican, singing along to a song with the word is getting this woman blasted, but I remember J Lo recording an original song where she said the word, and she was criticized for it at the time, but came out of it pretty much unscathed. I guess this is an example of how things have changed.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
From her past shit you can tell she's racist. I hope Netflix recasts Carmen.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gina Valentina > Gina Rodriguez anyway.

(Don't google her at work)

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah I saw it when she posted it on Instagram and was like is she allowed to say this? It seems dodgy, Eespecially with the laugh at the end. Checked Twitter, nothing like half an hour after she posted it so went to sleep.

Woke up... 100k trending on Twitter. News article. Huge backlash. Surprised it wasn't posted here earlier. With her history she was asking for it.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now imagine how much she says the N-word on the cameras are off...

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's a dork with a history of anti-Black sentiment. This was an attention grabbing stunt by said dork. Next infraction we're calling the homegirls up to get some core shaking going.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I dunno, for some reason Latinos using the n-word...seems to fall under a different category than other non-black races using it. Honestly, my gripe with her using it is less because she isn't black and more because she regularly throws black people under the bus
Pretty much where I'm at on this

Usage of the n-word by various minorities in the boroughs of NYC would create and rupture aneurysms in a lot of ERA members. Singing it during a song would be amateur shit.

Yuuuup

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm from Miami and it's insane how common it is and not called out of.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I keep switching Gina with Michelle, and you know what? It still works

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I love that minorities have a mental of roledex of fuckery that we boolean search everythime a name is mentioned. Instead of true/false, we have fuck with/go in the trash.

I missed the last meeting, is Zoe Saldana off probation with her Nina Simone bullshit?

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Frankly I feel that there's an agenda against her specifically when Hispanic/Latino POC are often attacked for not acknowledging their blackness.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Latinx rappers have been using the word since Big Pun.

It's such a ubiquitous thing it seems weird to call her out, specifically.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I love that minorities have a mental of roledex of fuckery that we boolean search everythime a name is mentioned. Instead of true/false, we have fuck with/go in the trash.

I missed the last meeting, is Zoe Saldana off probation with her Nina Simone bullshit?
No Zoe is not. She fucking knew better.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Cardi B is latina is she not? I'm not saying for who it's okay and not, I'm just confused. Is it just a New york thing in her case?

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
She corrected a black actress with some "all lives matter" bullshit. No one calling her out in a vacuum

I'm aware of most of her controversy and for sure her saying ALM was/is problematic, but specifically in regards to her being targeted as anti-black as often as she is (which I can understand in the case of saying ALM, but not necessarily this situation) I just find it a bit unfair.

Latinx rappers have been using the word since Big Pun.

It's such a ubiquitous thing it seems weird to call her out, specifically.

Relevant Black-ish scene:

Status
Not open for further replies.