• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Someone owns the trademark to Valkyrie.
Copyright issues. That's why Falcon action figures are called "Marvel's Falcon"

It's not so much that other people own the trademark (you can't do that, otherwise you'd get "Mattel's Megatron"), but that those are terms considered to be too generic to trademark in the toy category. So you need to add something else on to make them more unique.

It is fairly common for Hasbro to do this nowadays. There are plenty of Transformers toys that are named "Autobot xxx" or "Decepticon xxx" in order to make them easier to trademark, like Jazz, which is otherwise quite a generic word.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surely Thor of all people would be able to travel through different realms without additional support?

It's probably less about safely travelling through a dimension and more to do with not getting lost. Seems like it's easy to just... disappear forever... without some safety measures.

After all, Janet couldn't find her way out and she was in there for decades.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
It's not so much that other people own the trademark (you can't do that, otherwise you'd get "Mattel's Megatron"), but that those are terms considered to be too generic to trademark in the toy category. So you need to add something else on to make them more unique.

It is fairly common for Hasbro to do this nowadays. There are plenty of Transformers toys that are named "Autobot xxx" or "Decepticon xxx" in order to make them easier to trademark, like Jazz, which is otherwise quite a generic word.

That's fair, but they didn't call him autobot jazz in the 80s, tho?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My bad, I thought it was totally fucked up and he would have had to get rid of it.

No you're right, the Gauntlet is definitely busted. Probably wasn't designed to do what Thanos did with it. The real question is whether he's even able to remove the Gauntlet because his entire arm is screwed up or if he later uses the Time Gem to undo the damage he did to himself and the Gauntlet.

Would be pretty cool if he tries to but it doesn't work.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think the most solid theory on the gauntled being busted is that as we know, very few beings are capable of handling an Infinity Stone directly.
Thanos does, but he needs the Gauntlet for the "snap". Channelling all the stones at the same time is probably too much even for him.

The snap busted the glove, meaning he can't snap again, but he can still use the stones individually. It serves as a device to avoid all the "why doesn't Thanos snap the other Avengers out of existence instead of fighting them?" complaints.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I think the most solid theory on the gauntled being busted is that as we know, very few beings are capable of handling an Infinity Stone directly.
Thanos does, but he needs the Gauntlet for the "snap". Channelling all the stones at the same time is probably too much even for him.

The snap busted the glove, meaning he can't snap again, but he can still use the stones individually. It serves as a device to avoid all the "why doesn't Thanos snap the other Avengers out of existence instead of fighting them?" complaints.
Yup, was just about to post the exact same theory otherwise what's to stop him just clicking The Avengers out of existence if they come for him.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It looked busted to me.

If there is time travel stuff happening I can bet this version of Thanos is from before the snap.

He used it, like seconds after the Snap, what's "busted" about that? You can't bust the Infinity Gems, and the Gauntlet isn't needed to control them.

No you're right, the Gauntlet is definitely busted. Probably wasn't designed to do what Thanos did with it. The real question is whether he's even able to remove the Gauntlet because his entire arm is screwed up or if he later uses the Time Gem to undo the damage he did to himself and the Gauntlet.

Would be pretty cool if he tries to but it doesn't work.

It's not busted. He used it to teleport away right after the snap. In no version of the canon do the gems ever bust a Gauntlet upon use. It was singed to show the amount of power he just used, but that means nothing.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He used it, like seconds after the Snap, what's "busted" about that? You can't bust the Infinity Gems, and the Gauntlet isn't needed to control them.

It looked really damaged though, to the point that using them all in unison seems impossible now.

Either he get's it fixed or they fight Thanos pre-snap based on the figure... or the toymakers just didn't want to design a damaged gauntlet.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's not busted. He used it to teleport away right after the snap. In no version of the canon do the gems ever bust a Gauntlet upon use. It was singed to show the amount of power he just used, but that means nothing.

This happened in Hickman's Avengers. Cap used the gauntlet to push away another universe, the gauntlet popped and all but one of the gems shattered there and then.

I don't think the gauntlet or the gems are destroyed at the end of Infinity War, but they did seem to linger on them looking pretty fried after the snap.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
It looked really damaged though, to the point that using them all in unison seems impossible now.

Either he get's it fixed or they fight Thanos pre-snap based on the figure... or the toymakers just didn't want to design a damaged gauntlet.
He probably can't use them all in unison, but they will work fine individually, i would expect. He can handle them and use them anyway, so that's what he is likely to do.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

That would mean he can't snap again, but he still can, and has used the gems by themselves. Why throw the thing away?

This happened in Hickman's Avengers. Cap used the gauntlet to push away another universe, the gauntlet popped and all but one of the gems shattered there and then.

I don't think the gauntlet or the gems are destroyed at the end of Infinity War, but they did seem to linger on them looking pretty fried after the snap.

I know, but if the gems had shattered, they'd made it an actual plot point. He obviously still has them, and had the gauntlet and gems even in concept art.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would mean he can't snap again, but he still can, and has used the gems by themselves. Why throw the thing away?

Oh he definitely kept it, the stones still work through it individually, t's just that the leaked toy version of him in Endgame has an undamaged looking gauntlet so I figured the Avengers must fight him before the snap or he get's it fixed to looking new again.

Oct 25, 2017
I know, but if the gems had shattered, they'd made it an actual plot point. He obviously still has them, and had the gauntlet and gems even in concept art.

Yeah I'm with you, I'm just saying that this is something that has happened in the comics, specifically in a series that the writers have drawn upon whilst creating Infinity War.

On a separate note, since the original Infinity Gauntlet series there has generally been a thread of whether characters are up to the demands of wielding the stones. We see that with Nebula in the original series and we see it several more times in later comics.

In the comics Thanos was seemingly far above those demands and was able to ascend to a higher state of being, prior to that he snapped half of existence away as an offering to Death. It was a boast, he was showing off, it didn't faze him in the slightest.

In the movies both Thanos and the Gauntlet appear somewhat depleted after the snap , on one count that might be because of the hammer embedded in his chest and having just fought off Earth's Mightiest Heroes, but there seems to be a suggestion that the snap might have been a step too far.

It could be that this is completely forgotten by the time we get to Endgame, but it seemed to be worth focusing on for that brief moment at the end of Infinity War.

I have thought before that showing the gauntlet damaged by the strain of altering the entire universe at once, might be set-up for the consequences of changing things back.

Basically, in the movies, getting all the stones together was hypothetical. So far as has been said, nobody's ever done it before. The dwarves made the gauntlet in an attempt to harness the stones power simultaneously, but it was still only an idea. Nobody was sure it would work.

So Thanos does the snap, and it seems clearly indicated that changing the whole universe at once can be done, but results in more backlash than anticipated. The gauntlet is damaged, Thanos looks dazed in addition to his injury.

This could be setting up that anyone who gets the stones and tries to undo the snap may not survive at all, because they are not Thanos and lack his constitution. It might be implied all along that undoing the snap is certain death for the wielder or maybe group wielders.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Oh he definitely kept it, the stones still work through it individually, t's just that the leaked toy version of him in Endgame has an undamaged looking gauntlet so I figured the Avengers must fight him before the snap or he get's it fixed to looking new again.

I'd figure he's plenty of time to repair/polish it. After all, he's also in full armour.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
In this day an age, how are all of those available at a store somewhere and no one is doing larger coverage? Also, is there an embargo for Hasbro to officially announce the toys? its only 3 months away.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I would love to see time travel trickery or parallel universes I'm wondering if Endgame will deal with the afterlife. I feel the MCU has already hinted at an afterlife. In Dr Strange we see spirits reside in the astral dimension although the spirits seem to disappear after the body dies.. but maybe they move on to a different 'realm' and perhaps the quantum realm could be a link between the physical, astral and afterlife.

We also see a few dead parents having conversations with their offspring (Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther). Although we don't know for sure if those conversations were just happening within the mind or actually happening. And we have hints that people can be brought back from the dead when Thanos says at the beginning of Infinity War 'no resurrections this time'.

I'm wondering if the 'plan' that Steve seems to be referring to in the first teaser while telling Nat that he knows this will work... will be to search for and bring back specific heroes from the afterlife one by one. That could be what the next trailer is about if the first 30 min of the movie is Related to devising a plan. Maybe Peter Parker gets 'resurrected' half way through the movie, then they can tease spider-man in the next trailer as a stinger and Sony can finally go all out with its Far from home marketing. Still not sure where Captain Marvel fits into all of this. She will probably be in the next(final?) trailer if the trailer drops right after her solo movie.

Also I'm hoping at the very end Thanos sacrifices himself to trade places with Gamora, wherever she is.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

Has this been posted anywhere? Joe Russo talks about how toy leaks are inaccurate early on in the video. Still going through it. Interviewer is awful.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Joe Russo also said the A4 title wasn't spoken in Infinity War.

He has to say that.

heres-an-official-avengers-endgame-promo-photo-featuring-the-team-in-their-new-costumes1

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA

Has this been posted anywhere? Joe Russo talks about how toy leaks are inaccurate early on in the video. Still going through it. Interviewer is awful.

Steve is just awful. His interview with Zachary Levi was something and then the beef with Mackie is hilarious where Steve took his ball and went home because he got called out in his shit.

Also toy leaks pretty much confirmed the leaked promos and artwork from months ago right. lol

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Steve is just awful. His interview with Zachary Levi was something and then the beef with Mackie is hilarious where Steve took his ball and went home because he got called out in his shit.

Also toy leaks pretty much confirmed the leaked promos and artwork from months ago right. lol

I need to see those two interviews then. That Mackie one sounds good.

They did leak some of the stuff yeah as the post above shows. Oh well Joe is a consistant liar anyhow.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

I really hope they were lying to him about destroying the Mackie tape. That would be amazing to see.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I need to see those two interviews then. That Mackie one sounds good.

They did leak some of the stuff yeah as the post above shows. Oh well Joe is a consistant liar anyhow.

The Mackie one was never posted. It was during IW press junkets and Steve refused to post it and went on a public tirade about how he was treated and would never interview the actor again.

This all stemmed back to interviews for Winter Soldier and Civil War because Mackie said he didn't like Man of Steel and Steve turned it into a Marvel Films vs DC rivalry thing.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
The Mackie one was never posted. It was during IW press junkets and Steve refused to post it and went on a public tirade about how he was treated and would never interview the actor again.

This all stemmed back to interviews for Winter Soldier and Civil War because Mackie said he didn't like Man of Steel and Steve turned it into a Marvel Films vs DC rivalry thing.

That's interesting. All I could find was an interview between the two during a Our Brand Is Crisis interview. Mackie did not like Man of Steel at all.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
That's interesting. All I could find was an interview between the two during a Our Brand Is Crisis interview. Mackie did not like Man of Steel at all.

No, he did. That's what started the whole thing. They edited the video to make it look like Mackie was trashing the movie, and he brought it up during the Civil War junket:

At 3:00 minutes in this he goes off on the Collider interview:

"Your friend who cut that to make it look like I said that, when I didn't, but anybody would do anything"

Mackie was mad about that for years. So then at the Infinity War junket he was put in front of Frosty and went off on him for four minutes about that interview. Apparently the video tape of the interview was destroyed.

As much as I would love to see time travel trickery or parallel universes I'm wondering if Endgame will deal with the afterlife. I feel the MCU has already hinted at an afterlife. In Dr Strange we see spirits reside in the astral dimension although the spirits seem to disappear after the body dies.. but maybe they move on to a different 'realm' and perhaps the quantum realm could be a link between the physical, astral and afterlife.

If there is any intentional coherency between these details across various films, I would guess the intent is something like this:

1. People have souls / astral bodies / quantum shadows.
2. Doctor Strange showed astral projection of the soul outside the body, but the soul doesn't necessarily have to leave the physical world. It's just invisible to those who can't perceive such things.
3. Physical death severs the connection between the soul and this physical world, so it fades into another layer of reality.
4. The deepest layer of the Quantum Realm ("the Quantum Wasteland") suggests a dimension where thought is reality. Kind of like consciousness creating a world made up of dreams and unconscious thoughts.
5. Perhaps the "wasteland" is the border between the material dimensions with atomic and quantum particles (the conventional laws of physics) and a dimension of pure thought - as hinted at by The Ancient One.
6. The dimension of thought / consciousness would be a shifting place of memories and imagination, where the astral remnants of physically dead beings reside. Essentially the "afterlife".

Living people's minds contacting this dimension of pure thought would account for visions of people who are truly dead, like Odin appearing to Thor. Thanos' vision of Gamora might not have been inside the Soul Stone as many guessed, but simply Gamora's soul meditating in a place of stillness while thinking of her childhood.

I suspect if resurrections are meant to leave a lasting impact, it might require those returned remembering being dead. Maybe forced resurrection pulls minds back from the thought dimension with them being fully aware of what is happening, or maybe retaining repressed memories of being in the afterlife.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
No, he did. That's what started the whole thing. They edited the video to make it look like Mackie was trashing the movie, and he brought it up during the Civil War junket:

"Your friend who cut that to make it look like I said that, when I didn't, but anybody would do anything"

Mackie was mad about that for years. So then at the Infinity War junket he was put in front of Frosty and went off on him for four minutes about that interview. Apparently the video tape of the interview was destroyed.

Whoa that's ridiculous that he edited the footage like that. I don't blame Mackie for his actions then. Frosty goes down another notch for that too.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Why would someone hoping to be a professional name themselves "Frosty" instead of using their real name?

Roger Ebert didn't ask people to call him "BigBoy". Rex Reed didn't go by the screen name "Handlebars".

That shits stupid.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joe Russo also said the A4 title wasn't spoken in Infinity War.

Did someone say "Avengers : Endgame?"

Source: having to truthfully deny arguably semantic details because you're factually correct, elements are in flux and part of your responsibility is creating and protecting surprises.

I wouldn't go nearly that far but I get his angle.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked to learn that the VFX people continued to improve some shots for the home release of Infinity War. I didn't think that was a thing that ever happened.

I wish they'd say which ones.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Did someone say "Avengers : Endgame?"

Source: having to truthfully deny arguably semantic details because you're factually correct, elements are in flux and part of your responsibility is creating and protecting surprises.

I wouldn't go nearly that far but I get his angle.

Ah yes the Stinkles Method 😜

I am interested in seeing how the uniforms play into everything. They're clearly not just for show.