• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you seeing this again for the movie or extras?

• Movie

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • Extras

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
The one Endgame Bonus session they're doing tomorrow at my cinema is three quarters full.

Maybe Disney know what they're doing.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you look at it objectively you can't possibly disagree.

I'm not sure how movie action scenes can be objectively measured against each other - unless you just define a set of rules yourself as the right ones - which is of course a subjective set of criteria. And I don't have an opinion one way or another without going and doing a lot of A/B testing. I can't easily think of an action movie better than T2 - but that's my subjective opinion and some things probably haven't aged as well as I remember - though the impact will never leave me - it may not land anywhere nearly as well for a new viewer in 2019 - but more importantly - Cameron's action movies aren't just good because of the action scenes but holistically for all sorts of reasons - from dialog to premise to music.

Some of Cameron's more successful shooting is actually horror movie devices.

Avatar is nowhere near my top ten in terms of action either. Setpieces and spectacle sure, but not the action. For example the dragon bird thing ride is of course an action sequence, but the things that are amazing about it for me are the sense of speed, scale and wonder that I get from Planet Earth style nature films, often with similar types of framing with stuff like geese-cams and so on. That movie for me is a travelog and an experiential ride, not an action movie in the way I (subjectively) line them up.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how movie action scenes can be objectively measured against each other - unless you just define a set of rules yourself as the right ones - which is of course a subjective set of criteria. And I don't have an opinion one way or another without going and doing a lot of A/B testing. I can't easily think of an action movie better than T2 - but that's my subjective opinion and some things probably haven't aged as well as I remember - though the impact will never leave me - it may not land anywhere nearly as well for a new viewer in 2019 - but more importantly - Cameron's action movies aren't just good because of the action scenes but holistically for all sorts of reasons - from dialog to premise to music.

Some of Cameron's more successful shooting is actually horror movie devices.

Avatar is nowhere near my top ten in terms of action either. Setpieces and spectacle sure, but not the action. For example the dragon bird thing ride is of course an action sequence, but the things that are amazing about it for me are the sense of speed, scale and wonder that I get from Planet Earth style nature films, often with similar types of framing with stuff like geese-cams and so on. That movie for me is a travelog and an experiential ride, not an action movie in the way I (subjectively) line them up.

With all that said what MCU was better?

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Did you go get that ticket scanned my guy? Otherwise you're doing Satan's work.
whid1.gif

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I misread it as the entire list, so my bad.
Still, Ebert? Mr Kick ass is killing kids?
You know I mentioned Ebert because of an anecdote that another poster shared, right? I was talking to another poster about his comment reminded me of Ebert's thoughts.

Basically... I don't know what you're trying to get at or why lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Checked the 4:30pm and 8pm showings at my closest and best theater for tomorrow.

0 seats sold. Not a single seat. But it's early in the morning here I guess.

25% full for 8pm tonight. Or, 75% empty. 🤔

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Here in Canada it doesn't seem to have expanded at all, it's not playing at my nearest theater this weekend.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
How did this turn into a James Cameron thread?
The showtime I had previously booked is all sold out. I had to cancel that showtime so I could see Toy Story 4 today but plan on seeing this again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Which auditoriums matter a lot too. Some places seem to be putting it in their 50 seaters and not their 200 seaters.
This one is in the 100+ seaters. But these are really nice seats and I believe all the theaters are roughly the same size but I could be misremembering.

silverspot.net

About 20 seats sold for tonight's showing.

Edit: 6pm showing at the next theater (Regal) has about 25 seats sold out of about 100. 8 tickets sold for the 10pm showing.

About what I expected.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This one is in the 100+ seaters. But these are really nice seats and I believe all the theaters are roughly the same size but I could be misremembering.

silverspot.net

About 20 seats sold for tonight's showing.

Edit: 6pm showing at the next theater (Regal) has about 25 seats sold out of about 100. 8 tickets sold for the 10pm showing.

About what I expected.
You go the theater? I thought you have that setup where theaters beam the movies right to your house?

less

Oct 25, 2017
How did this turn into a James Cameron thread?
The showtime I had previously booked is all sold out. I had to cancel that showtime so I could see Toy Story 4 today but plan on seeing this again tomorrow.

The whole reason for this release is a last desperate attempt for Endgame to surpass Avatar. Of course it would become about Cameron sooner or later.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
You go the theater? I thought you have that setup where theaters beam the movies right to your house?
lmao

new movies, I do.

and yes, I order the bottle of wine to my seat. comes with free popcorn. And no I will not be among the Endgame Returns viewers.

edit:

1pm check in: 33 / 108 seats sold at my local theater for the 8pm showing (only evening showing at this theater, a fairly major theater)

23 tickets sold for all Saturday showings so far (or about 325 total seats).

edit 2:

checking the big 23 screen IMAX theater a little farther down the street. Their lone 8pm showing tonight: 12 / 140 seats sold.

It's a wrap around here. Nobody around here in South Florida is checkin for this movie anymore.

Last edited:

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the doom and gloom based off lack of presales for a movie that's been in theaters for months.

Anyone going this weekend probably isn't buying their ticket ahead of time, they're just getting up and going if/when they feel like it. That's what I'm doing tomorrow.

Not saying we're gonna get a huge explosion in sales that pushes the movie over Avatar, but I'm not sure presales tell the story y'all think it does this late in the game. If that was the case, Toy Story 4 would already be dead in the few theaters in Houston I've checked (I'm gonna see it tomorrow too, before or after Endgame, and barely any seats are taken for any of the many showings available), but that's obviously not true.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't get the doom and gloom based off lack of presales for a movie that's been in theaters for months.

Anyone going this weekend probably isn't buying their ticket ahead of time, they're just getting up and going if/when they feel like it. That's what I'm doing tomorrow.
Just because you're doing it doesn't mean others are. lol wtf

Maybe that's how ya'll get down wherever you are but here in SoFla we still order our shit in advance because *all seats are assigned*. As in, there isn't a single relevant theater that doesn't do assigned seats. Ain't nobody trying to sit in a trash seating location in 2019. Not in So Florida. So tickets sold in advance is a perfect perspective for us. YMMV.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility toward other user, Thread derail, History of similar behavior
Has Zatt chimed in now that we know this is a low effort wet fart rerelease or is he still doing victory laps on a game he lost?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just because you're doing it doesn't mean others are. lol wtf

Maybe that's how ya'll get down wherever you are but here in SoFla we still order our shit in advance because *all seats are assigned*. As in, there isn't a single relevant theater that doesn't do assigned seats. Ain't nobody trying to sit in a trash seating location in 2019. Not in So Florida. So tickets sold in advance is a perfect perspective for us. YMMV.

I didn't say everyone was gonna do it just because I was. Don't be obtuse.

I'm obviously talking about a theater where all seats are reserved, or how would I know how few seats have been taken already, even for the likes of Toy Story 4?

There's no need to preorder your seat to see a movie that's been out for months, even with reserved seats. Nobody's expecting to walk up to the theater to see Endgame tomorrow and be stuck with shitty seating if they didn't purchase their ticket ahead of time.

Niggas in Houston ain't tryna be stuck with aisle seats either lol y'all ain't special. And I go to one of the city's premiere theaters, within the loop and everything. I know how crucial preordering is when a ton of people are trying to see something.

In any case, I never claimed this was definitely what's happening, just floated it as what seems a possibility, and offered up my own experience as one of the targeted "hardcore" audience as an example.

Has Zatt chimed in now that we know this is a low effort wet fart rerelease or is he still doing victory laps on a game he lost?

I know he's not currently in the thread, but this is antagonistic.

This is how that hostile back-and-forth shit gets started, even when he's not around. Chill out. No need to pick on anybody, especially when they're not even here to address you directly.

Last edited:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Here in Canada it doesn't seem to have expanded at all, it's not playing at my nearest theater this weekend.

It seems like Landmark is pushing it, my local Landmark has added a ton of new screens for it, sold quite a bit of seats for every showing as well.

Cineplex, on the other, seems to be trying to pretend that Endgame doesn't even exist anymore.