• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This is simply a false misconstruction. You're layering my explanations as to why Thor's arc failed as if they are separate arguments, constantly shifting to stay a ahead of responses. But, you know damn well all of those posts are refuting the ideas put by others as to why Thor's arc is somehow great.

To recap, my initial position was the Thor's arc was deeply flawed, perfunctory lip service that doesn't actually explore his character. Instead, it's mostly relegated to a joke. As an aside, this is why I find it funny when anyone treats it as a serious exploration of mental depression when the movie itself wants you to laugh at Thor. So, it's a serious exploration of mental depression but also it's totally fine to make fun of and laugh at mentally depressed people? Pick one. But back to the main point, Thor's arc is completely shallow. He's depressed and fat, he talks to his mom, he's suddenly ready to take on Thanos and actually help the team. Arc done.

All these "changing" arguments you bring up are explanations as to why his arc failed. And, also why every point as to why it's great you all keep bringing up is not at all supported by the film.

Here's the nonsense idea that Thor was somehow trying to live up to some image of being King, something that is never shown in the film:

Here's missing that Thor's ego was the reason for their failure:

Here's the idea that Thor somehow confronted his lust for revenge and ego in Endgame:

Then I responded in posts such as these:

The argument has remained the same, I have merely elucidated why his arc is so weak. And the crux of the issue is that Thor does not have to actually confront any of his issues. He begins as a fat, depressed guy until his mother tells him it's okay to fail, then he gets Mjolnir and is ready to kick ass. He even goes back to being a cocky, egotistical idiot. You know, the thing that caused Thanos to win. Thor does not discuss with anyone why he didn't go for the head, why he needed to let Thanos see him get his revenge. He doesn't talk about his issues about being thrust into the role of King. He doesn't talk about why he has to always be seen as the strongest. And, overcoming these failings are in no way crucial to confronting and ultimately defeating Thanos.

Again, to compare with The Last Jedi. If it were the same movie as Endgame, Luke would've joined up with Rey by the end of the second lesson. She told him that his failure wasn't his fault and that she wouldn't fail him and how the galaxy needs a legend like Luke Skywalker. In any traditional, lesser film, that would have been the moment Luke snapped out of everything and started being a hero again. The very thing that happens in Endgame. But, he doesn't because Luke has yet to confront and make peace with his failings, and Rey's bolstering does little to help him because she doesn not know the truth of his failings. The same way that Thor's mom has no clue why or how Thor failed. Her pep-talk should NOT be enough, because she has no idea what Thor has been through and what caused him to fail and slide into depression. Thor failed because of all the things we mentioned before: ego, revenge, bloated self-importance, etc. Yet, nothing his mother says is about these things because she doesn't know about them. The same way that Rey doesn't understand the true depths of Luke's failure, of his moment of weakness when it came to Kylo.

It's only after Luke speaks with Master Yoda, someone who actually knows the truth and knows everything that Luke has been through that he's able to confront his past and his failings. It's here that he learns that failure is something to pass on, not something keep a dirty secret. And, it's here he has to confront the reality of his legend. AND, this brilliant culminates in his final confrontation with Kylo Ren where he accepts his legend status and uses it against Kylo and TFO to clown all of them and restore Hope to the galaxy.

Now back to Thor, after his pep-talk with Mom and Mjolnir in hand he once again comes face-to-face with Thanos, the source of all his pain. So, tell me how does this confrontation play out with regards to the character development and issues Thor just had to overcome? Does he face Thanos with some new attitude, casting aside the cocky, revenge fueled Asgardian King? Does he trick Thanos by making him think he's the same egotistical, rage machine from Infinity War? Hell, do the two even exchange any meaningful dialogue? The answer is no. The entire final confrontation is a CGI wankfest battle that has Thor revert to his old self as he lays waste to faceless noobs. Even worse, Thor starts the fight exclaiming, "let's kill him properly this time." Indicating he's back to full on ego mode. He's saying that swiftly chopping of Thanos' head was a shallow victory because he was denied a full rematch. Holy hell, talk about a total reversion. He learned nothing.

But yes, Thor's arc is great because of the simple fact a shallow arc exists in that he's kind of a different person than when he started the film. Yeah, again the fact that a bare-bones arc exist is not evidence that it is good.

Simply put, your reduction of Thor's arc is deeply flawed. You can't seem to separate your presumption that Thor's depression should be measured by his contention with Thanos from the reality of his condition.

I'm Endgame, Thor's "issue" is that he's clinically depressed. He confronts this issue through the entirety of the movie. Just because you REALLY WANT his issue to have been his ego, or his thirst for revenge, or his defeat at the hands of Thanos, doesn't mean it is, ever was or should have been.

You keep arguing that Thor's conversation with his mom was his resolution- framed by his newfound willingness to contribute - but it wasn't. HE WAS STILL DEPRESSED AFTER THIS CONVERSATION and he was ALREADY HELPING THE CAUSE PRIOR. Again you insist that his arc centers around Thanos, but it doesn't and never did, nor should it have. This conversation didn't motivate him "kickass" or fight Thanos. He never had qualms about either of those things. The conversation motivate him to challenge his insecurities.

Thor doesn't need to discuss "why" he didn't go to the head, because the "why" isn't important (its also painfully simple). His flaw isn't his ego. His arc isn't about "not going for the head". He didn't lose BECAUSE he thought too highly of himself. He lost because he was talking shit instead of killing - which lead to yet another failure. The lesson here, is don't stop to talk shit when you should be killing.

His "flaw" is his inability to cope with the string of disappointments that he endured over the last 10 years, only one of which was the result of an ego moment. After the snap, this inability sends him on a self-destructive spiral. Throughout the course of the movie he learns to cope, and starts to climb out of the spiral.

As to the humor, do you think people are always sensitive to the emotions of those around them? Any story worth its weight would have characters acting, you know...in character. Some character's in this movie are insensitive and toxic. Other characters became increasingly empathic for Thor's condition the more they interacted with him - as did the audience. The notion that his condition was "mostly a joke" is a flat out lie. Every single humorous moment came accompanied with a stern, painful reminder that he's not OK.

As for the egotistical Banter, maybe at the end he should've said "I've gotta stop yanking Quill's chain because the last time I talked shit, the universe was destroyed. Besides, everyone knows that people who have depression can't have a sense of humor."

Give me a break. You do know depressed people can still have personalities right? They aren't resigned to being "sad-sacks" 24/7 you know?

You desperately want Thanos to be a symbol for Thor's condition, but he isn't and shouldn't be. Stop saying Thanos is the source of all his pain. He isn't, never was. Stop suggesting that confrontation with Thor should have been symbolic of his growth - that's not how depression works. And stop leading with the preconceived notion that ego/revenge were the flaws to be addressed. I can't answer your question about how the Thanos fight influenced Thor's character development in regards to his ego/revenge arc, because there was no Thanos centric ego/revenge arc, nor should there have been. It's a loaded question.

the notion that his arc should have been about the error of revenge or ego that culminates in a fight with Thanos is just your own baseless headcannon. Actually, what you suggest would be truly shallow arc.

"Let's kill him properly this time." Has nothing to do with wanting a "proper rematch" and everything to do with wanting Thanos to die before getting the gauntlet and snapping... Holy baseless conclusion! Seriously, what type of mental gymnastics does it take to come to the conclusion that "let's kill him properly" means swiftly cutting his head off was shallow? It clearly means that the last few encounters yielded the wrong outcome, so with this encounter, they must kill him BEFORE he uses the gauntlet.

Last edited:

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
This is simply a false misconstruction. You're layering my explanations as to why Thor's arc failed as if they are separate arguments, constantly shifting to stay a ahead of responses. But, you know damn well all of those posts are refuting the ideas put by others as to why Thor's arc is somehow great.

To recap, my initial position was the Thor's arc was deeply flawed, perfunctory lip service that doesn't actually explore his character. Instead, it's mostly relegated to a joke. As an aside, this is why I find it funny when anyone treats it as a serious exploration of mental depression when the movie itself wants you to laugh at Thor. So, it's a serious exploration of mental depression but also it's totally fine to make fun of and laugh at mentally depressed people? Pick one. But back to the main point, Thor's arc is completely shallow. He's depressed and fat, he talks to his mom, he's suddenly ready to take on Thanos and actually help the team. Arc done.

All these "changing" arguments you bring up are explanations as to why his arc failed. And, also why every point as to why it's great you all keep bringing up is not at all supported by the film.

Here's the nonsense idea that Thor was somehow trying to live up to some image of being King, something that is never shown in the film:

Here's missing that Thor's ego was the reason for their failure:

Here's the idea that Thor somehow confronted his lust for revenge and ego in Endgame:

Then I responded in posts such as these:

The argument has remained the same, I have merely elucidated why his arc is so weak. And the crux of the issue is that Thor does not have to actually confront any of his issues. He begins as a fat, depressed guy until his mother tells him it's okay to fail, then he gets Mjolnir and is ready to kick ass. He even goes back to being a cocky, egotistical idiot. You know, the thing that caused Thanos to win. Thor does not discuss with anyone why he didn't go for the head, why he needed to let Thanos see him get his revenge. He doesn't talk about his issues about being thrust into the role of King. He doesn't talk about why he has to always be seen as the strongest. And, overcoming these failings are in no way crucial to confronting and ultimately defeating Thanos.

Again, to compare with The Last Jedi. If it were the same movie as Endgame, Luke would've joined up with Rey by the end of the second lesson. She told him that his failure wasn't his fault and that she wouldn't fail him and how the galaxy needs a legend like Luke Skywalker. In any traditional, lesser film, that would have been the moment Luke snapped out of everything and started being a hero again. The very thing that happens in Endgame. But, he doesn't because Luke has yet to confront and make peace with his failings, and Rey's bolstering does little to help him because she doesn not know the truth of his failings. The same way that Thor's mom has no clue why or how Thor failed. Her pep-talk should NOT be enough, because she has no idea what Thor has been through and what caused him to fail and slide into depression. Thor failed because of all the things we mentioned before: ego, revenge, bloated self-importance, etc. Yet, nothing his mother says is about these things because she doesn't know about them. The same way that Rey doesn't understand the true depths of Luke's failure, of his moment of weakness when it came to Kylo.

It's only after Luke speaks with Master Yoda, someone who actually knows the truth and knows everything that Luke has been through that he's able to confront his past and his failings. It's here that he learns that failure is something to pass on, not something keep a dirty secret. And, it's here he has to confront the reality of his legend. AND, this brilliant culminates in his final confrontation with Kylo Ren where he accepts his legend status and uses it against Kylo and TFO to clown all of them and restore Hope to the galaxy.

Now back to Thor, after his pep-talk with Mom and Mjolnir in hand he once again comes face-to-face with Thanos, the source of all his pain. So, tell me how does this confrontation play out with regards to the character development and issues Thor just had to overcome? Does he face Thanos with some new attitude, casting aside the cocky, revenge fueled Asgardian King? Does he trick Thanos by making him think he's the same egotistical, rage machine from Infinity War? Hell, do the two even exchange any meaningful dialogue? The answer is no. The entire final confrontation is a CGI wankfest battle that has Thor revert to his old self as he lays waste to faceless noobs. Even worse, Thor starts the fight exclaiming, "let's kill him properly this time." Indicating he's back to full on ego mode. He's saying that swiftly chopping of Thanos' head was a shallow victory because he was denied a full rematch. Holy hell, talk about a total reversion. He learned nothing.

But yes, Thor's arc is great because of the simple fact a shallow arc exists in that he's kind of a different person than when he started the film. Yeah, again the fact that a bare-bones arc exist is not evidence that it is good.

First of all, props on replying to all the different posts. Second of all, I agree Luke's failure was explored more in depth. Dove way more in to his character, and one of the main reasons TLJ is one of my favorite SW movies. Because I wasn't expecting the theme of failure, of one of the biggest heroes in pop culture nevertheless, to be so prevalent. And pretty well done.

And just as I didn't expect SW to go this way with Luke (and appreciate it even more for it), I wouldn't expect a giant blockbuster with a cast of thirty superheroes to have one of them deal with depression. Is it a moving and gripping in depth character exploration, worthy of an acadamy award? No. But the part about Thor in your original post was this:

Thor? He's just fat, that's the end result of his arc. He's fat.

And it IS quite a bit more than that. And you keep saying it's about Thanos. It's not JUST about Thanos. It's about failing to defeat Thanos. In all his anger he chopped Thanos head of, and that still did nothing. He still failed. (all the Avengers did, and all of them dealt with it in a different way, fitting with their character. Want to see revenge? Look at Clint) Doesn't mean he doesn't want revenge, but his depression is about not being worthy. So the real confrontation isn't with Thanos, it's with someone he loved and lost. Someone he failed. The part in Asgard wasn't with just some random person in a hallway, it's with someone who told him that even though he failed, he was still worthy. For that it doesn't matter she doesn't know why he failed. It' something called unconditional love. And it's pretty important.

As for making fun of a guy with mental illness; it's still a Marvel movie. You claim you want the movie to make up it's mind; but I never felt they laughed at Thor in a mean spirited way. Rocket tells him he's fat repeatedly, but he's an asshole to everyone, and he's also one of the guys most supportive of Thor. He was in Infinity War, and he was in Endgame as well. You might think that's making fun of people with mental health issues, but I disagree. I'm dealing with some pretty shitty mental health stuff as well and a good friend of mine makes jokes about it as well. He's also always there for me and really wants me to be better. He makes jokes about everything, and him joking about this means it's perfectly okay for me to go through this shit, and it even helps lighten the mood. Come to think of it, Endgame did that small part of huge movie pretty well.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
As an MCU fan and not a film buff or critic in any way, shape or form, I like that MCU films inspire so much conversation and debate. We can argue about various aspects of the films but in my opinion the number and intensity of the discussions proves that they are much more than "big dumb action movies". There's an emotional core to them that makes us care for these characters and sparks debate about their arcs over multiple movies.

Oct 28, 2017
As to the humor, do you think people are always sensitive to the emotions of those around them? Any story worth its weight would have characters acting, you know...in character. Some character's in this movie are insensitive and toxic. Other characters became increasingly empathic for Thor's condition the more they interacted with him - as did the audience. The notion that his condition was "mostly a joke" is a flat out lie. Every single humorous moment came accompanied with a stern, painful reminder that he's not OK.

Thor Lebowski isn't something the other characters "acting in character" came up with, that's purely on the writers. Him sleeping looking like a dead hobo and then getting up and rambling on and on in a humorous scene about how out to lunch he is, had nothing to do with how the other characters treated him and his condition.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: trolling
MCU Era is triggered. Nice.

I agree. Thematically speaking, these films are nowhere near as deep as people like to think they are.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Thor Lebowski isn't something the other characters "acting in character" came up with, that's purely on the writers. Him sleeping looking like a dead hobo and then getting up and rambling on and on in a humorous scene about how out to lunch he is, had nothing to do with how the other characters treated him and his condition.
Are we not talking about the jokes the people around him made?

you do realize alcohol abuse isnt uncommon with depression, right? Neither is lethargy and seemingly inappropriate lack of urgency. Neither is disregard for outer appearance. Neither is having to deal with insensitive/toxic friends. That these moments were wrapped in humor for the audience doesnt take away the fact that they were emotionally charged for Thor and those characters who properly realized that he was in trouble.

Characters teased him, because that is their personality. Drunk people say and do things that make observers laugh- until they peal the onion back and begin emphasize with the condition. That's what happened in this movie and for the audience.

People laughed when they saw fat Thor - but Banner wasnt laughing, he was concerned. And the audience stopped laughing too.

Nobody in the room during Thor's rambling was laughing. His friends were concerned, his acquaintances were annoyed and impatient.

By the time Rhodes gave his fat joke, just before Hulk snapped, everyone else (including the audience) had fully realized the severity of his condition and didn't find it funny.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Are we not talking about the jokes the people around him made?

you do realize alcohol abuse isnt uncommon with depression, right? Neither is lethargy and seemingly inappropriate lack of urgency. Neither is having to deal with insensitive friends. That these moments were wrapped in humor for the audience doesnt take away the fact that they were emotionally charged for Thor and those characters who properly realized that he was in trouble.
No, I'm fairly certain BossAttack critique was that the movie doesn't treat Thor's condition with the seriousness it deserves and instead plays it up for laughs. You countered that it was the characters, acting in character, who played it for laughs and this was appropriate because it was true to who those characters are.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It'll be interesting to hear people's opinion of Endgame in 2055.

Btw, ROTJ is a better & more enjoyable movie. Endgame was overly long and full of filler scenes which could've been replaced with more character development if they wanted a 3hr movie.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Maybe similar to Star Wars now?

We'll see. Opinions change over time, truly great films tend not to. Lawrence Of Arabia, The Godfather, ESB etc are still considered as great now as they were then. Yet we consistently compare brand new films full of hype, to old movies we've seen countless times.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
On a related note, it's amazing this thread as 12,600+ views but only about 400 replies. So many lurking, come on join in, it's fun.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The argument has remained the same, I have merely elucidated why his arc is so weak. And the crux of the issue is that Thor does not have to actually confront any of his issues. He begins as a fat, depressed guy until his mother tells him it's okay to fail, then he gets Mjolnir and is ready to kick ass. He even goes back to being a cocky, egotistical idiot.

after watching endgame again last night

NO HES DOES FUCKIG NOT

HE BEGS TO BE THE ONE THAT RESTORES PEOPLE, "LET ME DO IT,, LET ME DO SOMETHING GOOD, SOMETHING RIGHT.

ALMOST CRYING.

also another lie you told, thor explains everything to his mom, so her advice is not just fluff, is based on what happened.

Oct 28, 2017
also another lie you told, thor explains everything to his mom, so her advice is not just fluff, is based on what happened.

No, he doesn't. He tells her about how they found Thanos after he destroyed all the stones and he was too late. He doesn't tell her anything about how he failed to stop him prior to the snap or any of the other losses he suffered before that

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm fairly certain BossAttack critique was that the movie doesn't treat Thor's condition with the seriousness it deserves and instead plays it up for laughs. You countered that it was the characters, acting in character, who played it for laughs and this was appropriate because it was true to who those characters are.

The laughs were born of the jokes, no?

BossAttack critique was " Thor's depression was mostly relegated to a joke"

Which is demonstrably false.

Where there laughs? Sure. Depressed people, like any person can say/do funny things or find themselves in scenarios that are humorous. But anyone who walks away with the take that the movie pushes the idea that depression itself is, funny Just wasnt paying attention- but bad takes are what this OP is made of.

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, he doesn't. He tells her about how they found Thanos after he destroyed all the stones and he was too late. He doesn't tell her anything about how he failed to stop him prior to the snap or any of the other losses he suffered before that

:s

nevermind dude, you made up your mind long time ago

Oct 28, 2017

OMG. I just came across this post and I just want to say BRA-FUCKING-VO dude. He completely crushed this analysis

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I agree, ROTJ was a great film and conclusion to a trilogy.

I don't agree, Endgame was a great conclusion to a multi-film/multi-franchise 11 year running film adapted universe juggling more Marvel heroes than there were Ewoks and wrapping it up in a 3 hour 2 minute movie. I mean, I don't expect the film with that many leads to give each the depth of Luke Skywalker... it would be 8 hours long.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest I think Endgame is overrated big time. The first half of the movie boring and Tony inventing time travel like a weekend hamburger recipe is just dumb. The end battle is nice and epic but the rest of the movie isn't that great.

A lot of the "classic" 80s/90s blockbusters like The Matrix, Terminator 2, Aliens, Back to the Future, Raiders are better so is the OT Star Wars. The storytelling is better, full stop.

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I prefer the first half of the movie to the second; it actually takes time to explore the inner lives of the characters and the Time Heist is a nice mix of tones. The ending battle is fun and has its moments but it's not very well constructed as battles go.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
These are extremely superficial similarities. Additionally I like both movies a lot and think both franchises earned the right to be self-celebratory.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
No Star Wars film is in any way better than Endgame.
Agreed, but I guess you had to watch them as they released to really appreciate them. Star Wars was never appealing to me, in fact Rogue One was the only film from the franchise that made me feel excited during some moments. With that said, I'm not gonna compare the two, sure, I enjoyed Endgame faaaaar more than SW, but I won't argue against anyone enjoying SW films better, they probably grew up with them.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Endgame doesn't have Ewoks and Chewie doing a Tarzan yell so it wins on these two alone.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is I loved/love Infinity War, which was a pleasant surprise considering I found the first two Avengers movies to be pretty whatever, and I bought the physical copy day 1 and have watched it multiple times. Endgame was...fine I thought, but I don't think I've seen it again since watching in theaters...just no interest in revisiting it.