• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
In the trailer they are both onboard The Benatar. :)

Ah you're right. Now that I'm looking at her one shot in the trailer that is clearly the Guardians' ship (yeah the Benatar not the Milano! :3). That's interesting then, wonder if they'll be keeping their distance or if they can actually work together to get out of that pickle. Two very abrasive personalities lol

Jun 5, 2018
Ah you're right. Now that I'm looking at her one shot in the trailer that is clearly the Guardians' ship (yeah the Benatar not the Milano! :3). That's interesting then, wonder if they'll be keeping their distance or if they can actually work together to get out of that pickle. Two very abrasive personalities lol

My thoughts exactly. I am also interested in seeing if Nebula, like Tony, needs oxygen and food now that she is mostly machine.

GaijinZero

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fukuoka, Japan
I think its clear if Scott probably time traveled it is probably into the future. He would have grabbed the van from an inpound yard and blasted across the country, late to the party, presumed dead, but with at least a partial idea of how to fix things - with Banner's help. Of course, I really like that theory that explains Hank's comment in Antman. Maybe past Hank helps him get BACK TO THE FUTURE?

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So everyone talking Time Travel is basically spoiling things based on leaked shit and set pics? Fuck that.

I'm one of the few who absolutely loves the Ant Man movies along with Dr Strange. Love the chemistry between all of the actors in AM, even the most minor and smallest members of the crew get their time to shine and don't screw if up.
Yeah, I love them. Always feels odd when I see people trashing them.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
It's not?
People aren't basing their talk of time travel on that. They were saying it before the trailer came out.
Then again, there's a short mention of it in Ant Man 2

Who knows what the real explanation is but they wouldn't have included Cap asking about it being old footage if they weren't hinting about something related to time displacement, and the security feed does seem to say say "1983 ARCHIVE" on it so it's possible at some point Scott was standing outside the compound in 1983 wondering why no one was letting him in.

I'd imagine there are people in these discussions who have been frequenting the spoiler/lead threads but it doesn't always mean they're speculating with spoilers in mind. Time travel has always been one of the prevailing theories about how they're going to "undo" the snap, since the Time Stone is a thing.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who knows what the real explanation is but they wouldn't have included Cap asking about it being old footage if they weren't hinting about something related to time displacement, and the security feed does seem to say say "1983 ARCHIVE" on it so it's possible at some point Scott was standing outside the compound in 1983 wondering why no one was letting him in.

I'd imagine there are people in these discussions who have been frequenting the spoiler/lead threads but it doesn't always mean they're speculating with spoilers in mind. Time travel has always been one of the prevailing theories about how they're going to "undo" the snap, since the Time Stone is a thing.
I guess I disagree with your first paragraph - it could just indicate a time skip.
But it's all good. Just wary of people who actually know things coming in and masking their posts as pure speculation while spoiling. People used to do that shit in Game of Thrones show-only threads.
I'm gonna stay out of A4 discussion from now on ☺️

GaijinZero

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fukuoka, Japan
I find it hard to believe Scott could go from San Francisco to upstate New York and not notice he had slipped back in time. I mean, really? He definitely came back.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I guess I disagree with your first paragraph - it could just indicate a time skip.

oh yeah I have no fucking clue what's actually going on just speculating and throwing bullshit around, but Cap asking if it's an old message is definitely not a red herring or anything. There's something weird going on with Scott in time in this movie and I think that was pretty easy to speculate on ever since Janet dropped that very blatant line about time vortexes. It could just be related to how he gets out of the Quantum Realm and back in present day, or it could also be a larger plot point in the movie related to how they "stop" Thanos. Who the hell knows at this point based on this trailer.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They put shit in the trailers all the time that aren't in the movie or are presented completely different in the trailer. Everyone really shouldn't take the trailer at face value.

Dec 12, 2017
The way this trailer is cut, how do we know they are even addressing the Scott footage?

Cap stands, asks if it is old footage.

Then we get off screen ADR of Widow saying "It's the front door."

For all we know, these are two different scenes, intercut together.

Oct 27, 2017
USA

It says "Strat_XXXX : Archive". It is not clear enough to say for sure it says 1983. I personally think it says 1503.

My assumption is that Cap is asking if it's old footage because he knows that Scott is classified as "Missing" and is surprised to see him so he wants to know if this is pre Decimation footage (aka old footage) or is a live feed of the front door.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

It doesn't. someone was helpful enough to post a high quality file of the trailer in the thread. It's STRAT_1503 or STRAT_IS03.

91PGFqA.png

There is an ARCHIVE label/button next to that and on the other side are "read" and "sort" buttons. You can debate whether ARCHIVE indicates archive footage, or is simply the option to archive live footage coming into the video feed, but that video is definitely not from 1983.

Also, in back of Scott there appears to be a modern security cam or intercom, rising up from the ground. You can see it in the wide shot, but not the closeup.

And the final nail in the coffin for the 83 argument? The van again. License Plates in 1983 in California looked like this:

1982.jpg

The license plate on the front of the X-Con van (which was again remodeled in AMATW2) has a current plate using a design that didn't come into use until 1992:

1998.jpg

unless Scott found a way to take that Van through the portal with him (which would be absurd), it's in the present day. And "marvel put a fake van there with fake plates" seems to be unlikely.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
No, it's just clearly not "present day" Scott Lang showing up in that security camera footage. Anyone who saw Ant-Man & The Wasp knew time displacement was going to be a concept explored in this movie.

lol where you getting this?

He was in the quantum realm during the snap. He got out after the snap. He drove to the Avengers HQ. That's the only thing that is clear here.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The way this trailer is cut, how do we know they are even addressing the Scott footage?

Cap stands, asks if it is old footage.

Then we get off screen ADR of Widow saying "It's the front door."

For all we know, these are two different scenes, intercut together.

Yeah, it's probably footage of Peggy sleeping with some dude and he asks if it's old footage.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue with the van in the last could be that, if anything he would probably pop out of time wherever he got lost in the first place. He initially got lost in that van in present day. If he goes back in time, he would still be in that van when he pops out in the 70's. That car I'm assuming is from at least the 70's, so it would make sense for it to be around then. Also would explain why there was a casting for a "70's car girl". He probably pops out in the 70's and scares the shit out of her while he's in her car.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They put shit in the trailers all the time that aren't in the movie or are presented completely different in the trailer. Everyone really shouldn't take the trailer at face value.

Yeah you think people would be aware of this by now, especially big fans of these series that watch every trailer before the films actually come out.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
It doesn't. someone was helpful enough to post a high quality file of the trailer in the thread. It's STRAT_1503 or STRAT_IS03.

91PGFqA.png

There is an ARCHIVE label/button next to that and on the other side are "read" and "sort" buttons. You can debate whether ARCHIVE indicates archive footage, or is simply the option to archive live footage coming into the video feed, but that video is definitely not from 1983.

Also, in back of Scott there appears to be a modern security cam or intercom, rising up from the ground. You can see it in the wide shot, but not the closeup.

And the final nail in the coffin for the 83 argument? The van again. License Plates in 1983 in California looked like this:

1982.jpg

The license plate on the front of the X-Con van (which was again remodeled in AMATW2) has a current plate using a design that didn't come into use until 1992:

1998.jpg

unless Scott found a way to take that Van through the portal with him (which would be absurd), it's in the present day. And "marvel put a fake van there with fake plates" seems to be unlikely.

Neat, thanks for this

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Random out of my ass thought since we're talking about misdirection - who says the footage of Tony is from the beginning of the movie?

Everyones assuming it's from him post escaping Titan. It most likely is, but equally could be where he ends up at the end of the movie.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You guys need to stop talking about set photos and casting.

There is a spoiler thread for for Avengers 4. We should only be discussing what we see in the trailer here.
Unfortunately I bet we're going to see more people act like their talking about theories and shit, but their really talking about plot leaks and shit.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Random out of my ass thought since we're talking about misdirection - who says the footage of Tony is from the beginning of the movie?

Everyones assuming it's from him post escaping Titan. It most likely is, but equally could be where he ends up at the end of the movie.

Incredibly doubtful. They're not showing scenes from the end of the movie in this trailer.

He was lost in space at the end of the last movie. He's lost in space at the beginning of this movie. :P

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
meant to post the photo of the cam/intercom so here it is,

A3jFAt7.png

Whatever that is back there appears to be a fairly modern cam/security/intercom setup. There was definitely nothing like that in use in the 80s or even the 90s. The wireless and camera tech to make it work didn't exist.

This is present day footage.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Incredibly doubtful. They're not showing scenes from the end of the movie in this trailer.

He was lost in space at the end of the last movie. He's lost in space at the beginning of this movie. :P

True enough.

It's funny though - I remember earlier threads where people where scoffing 'THEY AINT GONNA SHOW HOW HE GETS BACK FROM TITAN, JESUS CHRIST IT'S SCRIPTING 101'

Trailer: 'Here is Tony getting back from Titan' lol

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
To be fair, they showed the moment of Peter's death and the immediate aftermath in the IW trailer, we just never would have imagined they'd do that. XD

I remember people speculating whose hand Tony was holding up to his mouth as if giving it a kiss. It wasn't someone else's but he was sitting there in grief after watching Peter die right before his eyes. Hell of a moment to include in a trailer as mood-setting imagery.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
True enough.

It's funny though - I remember earlier threads where people where scoffing 'THEY AINT GONNA SHOW HOW HE GETS BACK FROM TITAN, JESUS CHRIST IT'S SCRIPTING 101'

Trailer: 'Here is Tony getting back from Titan' lol

I kind of agreed with that and I'm happy I was wrong. I legitimately expected a time jump. But seeing Tony in space is going to be impactful.

And funny because he'll be forced to interact with Nebula. Should be very awkward.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
You guys need to stop talking about set photos and casting.

There is a spoiler thread for for Avengers 4. We should only be discussing what we see in the trailer here.
Casting is pretty much public knowledge, but if we shouldn't, then I'll stop.
meant to post the photo of the cam/intercom so here it is,

A3jFAt7.png

Whatever that is back there appears to be a fairly modern cam/security/intercom setup. There was definitely nothing like that in use in the 80s or even the 90s. The wireless and camera tech to make it work didn't exist.

This is present day footage.
Avengers Compound used to be a Stark Facility. Pretty sure Howard Stark has some advanced tech, seeing as how he was able to create Captain America and all

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Casting is pretty much public knowledge, but if we shouldn't, then I'll stop.

Avengers Compound used to be a Stark Facility. *Pretty sure Howard Stark has some advanced tech, seeing as how he was able to create Captain America and all*

It was a stark warehouse, not a research facility. Howard Stark didn't create the Captain America formula, Professor Erskine did- and when he died no one was able to replicate it. Stark assisted in the effort but that was not his tech. Hydra ALMOST managed to replicate it with Red Skull and Winter Soldier but never got 100% of the way there.

And no, we know at least as late as the mid 90s thanks to the Captain Marvel trailer that SHIELD was still using pagers to text message each other as a form of "cutting edge" communication.

DnZa0jCXgAESfNH.jpg

Random equipment from a stark warehouse in the 80s wouldn't have outclassed SHIELD tech a decade later.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
It was a stark warehouse, not a research facility. Howard Stark didn't create the Captain America formula, Professor Erskine did- and when he died no one was able to replicate it. Stark assisted in the effort but that was not his tech. Hydra ALMOST managed to replicate it with Red Skull and Winter Soldier but never got 100% of the way there.

And no, we know at least as late as the mid 90s thanks to the Captain Marvel trailer that SHIELD was still using pagers to text message each other as a form of "cutting edge" communication.

DnZa0jCXgAESfNH.jpg

Random equipment from a stark warehouse in the 80s wouldn't have outclassed SHIELD tech a decade later.
I was talking more so about the machine used to create Cap, rather than the serum.

It's not far fetched to think they would have some sort of advanced intercom system. I mean, it's Howard Stark.

SHIELD also managed to have flying quintets in Captain Marvel, so it's safe to say their tech is wildly all over the place.

EDIT: and I never said it was a research facility, just a Stark Facility. The most powerful arms dealer would wanna keep his stuff on lock, no matter what it is.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I was talking more so about the machine used to create Cap, rather than the serum.

It's not far fetched to think they would have some sort of advanced intercom system. I mean, it's Howard Stark.

SHIELD also managed to have flying quintets in Captain Marvel, so it's safe to say their tech is wildly all over the place.

EDIT: and I never said it was a research facility, just a Stark Facility. The most powerful arms dealer would wanna keep his stuff on lock, no matter what it is.

You're reaching, buddy. What created Cap was the serum. The machines were only used to Stabilize the process. Erskine came up with all of that himself, it wasn't Howard Stark. He used it to create Red Skull for HYDRA *before* creating Steve Rogers. It didn't work perfectly on Skull because of who he was- a corrupt individual would result in a corrupt process which is WHY Steve Rogers got chosen. Other than his physical appearance, Red Skull was an exact match for Rogers in combat.

Your excuses are getting pretty old. That's obviously a modern intercom/security setup, designed to use WiFi/RFID or similar to gain access. They are extremely common today, but did not exist in the 80s or 90s. Howard Stark didn't invent those things or anything similar to it- he worked on military equipment, bombs, and similar.

The most likely explanation, given the van, and the security setup is that this is modern footage- not that Howard Stark invented Bluetooth and didn't tell anybody about it.

This is the last time I'm addressing you BTW. no need to respond.

edit: also, this is the security footage from 1991 when Winter Soldier killed Howard Stark outside of whatever facility he was heading to with his serum.

4xTV1cx.png

Why would random security footage from a warehouse in the 1980s have drastically better image quality and fidelity than footage from a secure facility in 1991?

Again, the camera tech to make that video of scott didn't exist in the 1980s, even for stark. Game, Set, Match.

Last edited:

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm edging from this trailer.
Perhaps they could have named it AVENGERS EDGEGAME?
That was trash. Movie's six months away, they don't have anything more worthwhile to show?
It wasn't trash! It was fresh, ripe and fully consumable! No need to throw away fresh content...
It was a worthless nothing teaser. Trash is about right.
Too bad it had no worth for you Mr. Jett. Thankfully for those that wanted to be teased it plenty of "worth".
Scott gonna be a big player in this.
I think he may be a small player in this one...

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ah i'm super dumb but i just now realized that if they're doing time travel stuff to retcon all of this, cap will probably get out in his original time and live his live out like that diying as an old man in the 90s or so.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
You're reaching, buddy. What created Cap was the serum. The machines were only used to Stabilize the process. Erskine came up with all of that himself, it wasn't Howard Stark. He used it to create Red Skull for HYDRA *before* creating Steve Rogers. It didn't work perfectly on Skull because of who he was- a corrupt individual would result in a corrupt process which is WHY Steve Rogers got chosen. Other than his physical appearance, Red Skull was an exact match for Rogers in combat.

Your excuses are getting pretty old. That's obviously a modern intercom/security setup, designed to use WiFi/RFID or similar to gain access. They are extremely common today, but did not exist in the 80s or 90s. Howard Stark didn't invent those things or anything similar to it- he worked on military equipment, bombs, and similar.

The most likely explanation, given the van, and the security setup is that this is modern footage- not that Howard Stark invented Bluetooth and didn't tell anybody about it.

This is the last time I'm addressing you BTW. no need to respond.

edit: also, this is the security footage from 1991 when Winter Soldier killed Howard Stark outside of whatever facility he was heading to with his serum.

4xTV1cx.png

Why would random security footage from a warehouse in the 1980s have drastically better image quality and fidelity than footage from a secure facility in 1991?

Again, the camera tech to make that video of scott didn't exist in the 1980s, even for stark. Game, Set, Match.
It's reaching to say that a guy who helped build and operate the machine to create Cap would have some sort of advanced tech? What? Lol Just because it didn't exist to the modern public in that time frame doesn't mean SHEILD or the biggest arms manufacturer in the world wouldn't have something advanced. I mean, he helped put an entire man's consciousness into a mainframe in a SHEILD base. If he can figure that out, I'm sure he could get something like a modern camera system up a couple decades before it hits the mainstream public.

Avengers Compound has advanced tech that doesn't exist yet. Most superhero/sci-fi places do. It's not far fetched.

As for the camera footage, we don't even know where they are. They could be on any open road at any place. Or, you could just chalk it up to directorial intent. The bigger question is why they're filming set pieces from the 70's, if supposedly a ton of us are wrong and nobody is going to that point in time. But we can't talk about that I guess

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
ah i'm super dumb but i just now realized that if they're doing time travel stuff to retcon all of this, cap will probably get out in his original time and live his live out like that diying as an old man in the 90s or so.

He could even use his knowledge of future events to show up during significant events and spectate....but what would Steve Rogers look like as an Old Man? Would he have to let himself go a little? Maybe grow a mustache...put on some fake glasses..

Stan_Lee_Cameo_AvengersAgeofUltron2015.jpg

..nah