• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 19, 2017
https://deadline.com/2019/04/avenge...ket-sales-opening-weekend-records-1202599744/

According to Deadline sources, before Avengers: Endgame even flickers one image on a movie screen ahead of its Thursday night previews nationwide, advance domestic ticket sales for the Russo Brothers-directed Marvel sequel are estimated to be north of $120M with some figuring they're as high as $140M. These figures do not come from Disney.

Note that The Force Awakens presales were estimated at $100M on the Monday before release, so this is truly an historic, record shattering figure.

As far as how a $300M opening stacks up. The current OW record is $257.7M held by Infinity War, so it would be a gigantic increase.

Last edited:

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol and here I thought it'd be around 260 million this weekend just barely scraping by its previous record

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
For the record:

The current Opening Weekend record comes from North America: It's $257 million by Infinity War.

Endgame could potentially hit $300 MILLION IN BOTH NORTH AMERICA AND CHINA, not only shattering the record, but doing so in two territories.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fTmTuFj.gif

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
and for those saying that the 3hr will have a negative affect

Math provided to Deadline by B.O. analysts specified that four or five showtimes a day of Endgame on 5-8 screens per location, at a 70% capacity at 12,000 U.S. auditoriums could hit that box office threshold

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
1 BILLY OW!!!!!!!
WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!

and for those saying that the 3hr will have a negative affect

Math provided to Deadline by B.O. analysts specified that four or five showtimes a day of Endgame on 5-8 screens per location, at a 70% capacity at 12,000 U.S. auditoriums could hit that box office threshold

Checking the theatres around me, this is the first time i've seen 2am, 6am and 8am shows for the entire weekend. Theatres are definitely ramping up.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit. I really don't want to see it in a jam packed theater. I have couple days off during the week so maybe an early matinee won't be so bad.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people are going to be disappointed if it makes 270-280 now. Which would still be insanity.

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
Jesus..... Its the weekend..... Take some quiet time for yourself :/

Between packed theaters, packed parking lots, lines....
Lol well I'm going opening night with my dad because it's tradition for us and then going with two different friend groups Friday and Saturday night. And I'm completely okay with it. This franchise is a big deal for me personally so I'm absolutely ecstatic to dive right into the thick of the hype.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
When you include China's opening weekend to the opening international weekend for IW it was around $840m. If Endgame opens 50m+ in NA and 70-100m+ in China compared to Infinity War, then include what the other countries will probably increase by, it should smash past 1 billion in the weekend.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Lol well I'm going opening night with my dad because it's tradition for us and then going with two different friend groups Friday and Saturday night. And I'm completely okay with it. This franchise is a big deal for me personally so I'm absolutely ecstatic to dive right into the thick of the hype.

Godspeed.

12 hours of total time in a weekend of 56 hours. Idk.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I might even get a 4th showing in.

Whatever it takes.

Loons.

ERA IS FULL OF LOONS!!!

I don't really like movie theaters and I hate assigned seating and the reclining chairs and its SO MUCH MONEY when redbox is cheap and I DONT WANT CRAFT BEER AT $6 a BOTTLE NO THANK YOU SIR! I DON'T LIKE IT. ITS ALL TOO MUCH. (GF dragged me to Captain Marvel in a theater I hate, wasn't my favorite experience this month)

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loons.

ERA IS FULL OF LOONS!!!

I don't really like movie theaters and I hate assigned seating and the reclining chairs and its SO MUCH MONEY when redbox is cheap and I DONT WANT CRAFT BEER AT $6 a BOTTLE NO THANK YOU SIR! I DON'T LIKE IT. ITS ALL TOO MUCH. (GF dragged me to Captain Marvel in a theater I hate, wasn't my favorite experience this month)
uh if you hate assigned seating and recliner chairs I'm afraid you might be the one who's a loon. Lol

AMC A-list is $20 a month for 3 showings a week, resetting each Thursday.

jpv_13

Oct 30, 2017
Loons.

ERA IS FULL OF LOONS!!!

I get your overall sentiment but Assigned seating and reclining chairs is what made going to movie theaters bearable again...how could you hate those two things specifically.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
uh if you hate assigned seating and recliner chairs I'm afraid you might be the one who's a loon. Lol

AMC A-list is $20 a month for 3 showings a week, ending on Thursday.

I abhor that shit. I'll take a simple $12 ticket in small quieter theater thatnk you. Not interested in having to buy tickets ahead of time and lose flexibility in my day, not super thrilled about not being able to move if people sit next to me, pretty much shit all around. I don't even like recliner chairs ANYWHERE.

Its all garbage driving up the cost from desperate theaters trying to squeeze tighter as overall revenues have fallen flat or even regressed.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If true, it would mean that Avengers was the first film to top $200m, Avengers 3 was the first film to top $250m and Avengers 4 will be the first film to top $300m.

Almost two decades after the original Spider-Man was the first film to cross $100m in its opening weekend.

Superhero fatigue, indeed.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I abhor that shit. I'll take a simple $12 ticket in small quieter theater thatnk you. Not interested in having to buy tickets ahead of time and lose flexibility in my day, not super thrilled about not being able to move if people sit next to me, pretty much shit all around.
You really coming into yet another thread just to say this? WE GET IT ALREADY.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I abhor that shit. I'll take a simple $12 ticket in small quieter theater thatnk you. Not interested in having to buy tickets ahead of time and lose flexibility in my day, not super thrilled about not being able to move if people sit next to me, pretty much shit all around.
This post right here is scientific proof that some opinions are wrong.

Deleted member 6223

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insanity. Endgame is the first movie to make me spend a lot of money to book premium seats opening day with my girlfriend and a dear friend at Regal soooo yeah lol.

auicc

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
local theater around me is doing showings for 12 hours straight starting at 6 pm on the 25th so I'd say the ramp is real lol