• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehrlich's reviews are not really a touchstone for me, especially as far as superheroes go since he tends to dislike those movies anyway (was not surprised he hated Infinity War since he watched it at the tail end of a 30-hour marathon of other movies that he also mostly hated lol). But even still, his praise for this one is pretty interesting to see.
How does one hate IW but like Endgame, make it make sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
I strictly believe that critics who give this movie less than 50% on their review do so strictly so their review will get read because they're going to be one of a handful of negative reviews, and people will read their reviews just to find out what they didn't like.

I'm sorry, I just don't see how any sane "critic" could give a movie like this less than 50%.

why are review threads always like this

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the TLJ take in the Verge End Game review, TLJ is one of the very rare times my own opinion has been quite at odds with critical consensus. Don't get me wrong, there have been films that I've not enjoyed to the level of most critics, but usually I'm still able to appreciate the filmmaking, story etc in the said movie to the degree that I understand why it was as revered as it was, but with TLJ I didn't even get that.

That said, I don't think the Verge review is necessarily saying End Game is like TLJ, rather just assuming it may divide fanbases or anger certain fans in a similar way, but that is ultimately just an assumption on the part of the critic.

There have been narrative comparisons between End Game and the latest GoT episode, and I like and appreciate that. This is a conclusive movie. The grand finale to a decade long series of movies, so it deserves those more sombre or touching character driven moments, the raising of the stakes, that closure and those emotional pay offs. It just makes sense for what this movie encompasses.

A good piece of art is going to be liked by everyone but a great one is gonna make some enemies.

Tell that to some of the greatest movies ever made, which have almost unanimous praise and adoration, eg Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas etc.

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Weird to see so many reviews praise this movie for being hopeful and optimistic, leaving you with a good feeling, etc.

Then that Verge review comes in like "nah. It's the opposite".

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
bandicam-2019-04-23-20-01-50-313.png

Dat average though, it's hard to get 8.0+ on that site.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
People wanted this to be a grim dark movie?

People actually expected this to be a dour, serious movie where many (if not all) of the original Avengers died and some seemed to like that idea.

But blockbuster filmmaking 101 always said this was going to be Return of the Jedi to Infinity Wars' Empire. A mostly upbeat, triumphant win for our heroes after a heavy cliffhanger loss in the last one.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers are specific details. When I notice that multiple reviews don't even mention a character and come to a conclusion about that character's role that's not a spoiler.
That's not what you said. You explicitly stated something and are now backpedaling to say "I interpreted reviews to mean this."

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, 98% isn't the review average. It's just the percentage of how many reviews are generally positive. An RT score is great to get a sense of consensus but people should never use it like it's a review score average
You're right, it's more important than the review average.

Metacritic is completely worthless for movies.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
TLJ is one of the very rare times my own opinion has been quite at odds with critical consensus. Don't get me wrong, there have been films that I've not enjoyed to the level of most critics, but usually I'm still able to appreciate the filmmaking, story etc in the said movie to the degree that I understand why it was as revered as it was, but with TLJ I didn't even get that.

That said, I don't think the Verge review is necessarily saying End Game is like TLJ, rather just assuming it may divide fanbases or anger certain fans in a similar way, but that is ultimately just an assumption on the part of the critic.

There have been narrative comparisons between End Game and the latest GoT episode, and I like and appreciate that. This is a conclusive movie. The grand finale to a decade long series of movies, so it deserves those more sombre or touching character driven moments, that closure and those emotional pay offs. It just makes sense for what this movie encompasses.

Tell that to some of the greatest movies ever made, which have almost unanimous praise and adoration, eg Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas etc.
Even the films in that list are polarizing amongst movie goers because of the rape and violence. People complained endlessly that The Dark Knight was too long. I don't even think the mainstream could even sit through something like Citizen Kane anymore because of what happened to attention spans.

So no such thing as bad? only good to great? Sounds like gibberish
In my opinion, great films challenge people in ways that they're not all going to like.

Of course bad films exist, but they're polarizing for completely different reasons, like lazy writing or hackeyened plots.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OK, this talk is kinda ruining this thread right now.

At least its not TLJ.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Pleasantly surprised at how high the sores are. Couldn't get tickets before Sunday .. the wait is going to be unbearable.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
People actually expected this to be a dour, serious movie where many (if not all) of the original Avengers died and some seemed to like that idea.

But blockbuster filmmaking 101 always said this was going to be Return of the Jedi to Infinity Wars' Empire. A mostly upbeat, triumphant win for our heroes after a heavy cliffhanger loss in the last one.

Yeah I can see that

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
TLJ comparisons make that an impossibility

I have barely heard this being compared to TLJ and I frequent the reddit. It's more being said to troll imo because TLJ was so bad. This movie is literally said to be filled with glorious fans service for invested viewers. TLJ didn't do that at all and is known for rejecting fan service. If someone chooses to loosely link them it's probably for self interest and just a crafty way for them to argue that TLJ was actually good.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't feel Kin5290 original post was really a spoiler.

I got attacked for saying i was upset Korg wouldn't be in IW last year.

Anyway, not reading any reviews - but I already knew this film was going to be amazing. No way the Russos fumble it. Hyped.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Right. I missed it. So did everyone else. Got it.
Not that it's going to stop anyone else from complaining.

I haven't seen the movie yet. I have no idea what happens. But I've read multiple reviews from major industry sources that don't even mention the actor's name including The Verge review that was posted) which had me come to a conclusion.

See:
Thanks for spoiling Carol asshats

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
"Exciting, entertaining, and emotionally impactful, Avengers: Endgame does whatever it takes to deliver a satisfying finale to Marvel's epic Infinity Saga."

RT consensus is just hype

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
If the Marvel superhero movies on the whole are your favorite band's individual albums, "Avengers: Endgame" is the triple-disc greatest-hits package with the really awesome cover and a slew of familiar, comforting gems inside.

My favourite review headline so far