• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 5, 2018
Holy moly, a whole 33 minutes longer than Infinity War, the longest current MCU movie.

The Russos have directed the 3 longest MCU movies:
- Endgame: 182 minutes (3 Hrs 2 Mins)
- Infinity War: 149 minutes (2 Hrs 29 Mins)
- Civil War: 147 minutes (2 Hrs 27 Mins)

A1 and A2 were 143 and 142 minutes respectively, for reference (the 4th and 5th longest films in the MCU)

Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty sure most theaters ran the 219 minute version of heavens gate

Also I would take umbrage with his assertion that it 'got away' with it. Considering it was a historic bomb that forever changed cinema with how poorly it did.

edit: also reviewing wikipedia, I would say its more accurate to say theaters played the third 2:29 cut, the 3:39 cut only ran a single week before it was pulled)

If Heaven's Gate could get away with a 5 hour 25 minute runtime then surely the more culturally significant movie Avengers Endgame could be allowed the same.

How did it 'get away' with it? It was a historic bomb, whose failure is far more culturally significant than Endgame will ever be. It ended an entire epoch of film making with it's failure. (And it was never shown in the 5:25 version)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018
Wolf of Wall Street?

Three hours goes by quickly watching that.

Didn't catch that one in theaters, though I'd wished I had. It's definitely enjoyable.

Heck, I could watch this for a good hour alone:

UnripeWateryHusky-size_restricted.gif

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in, obviously.

An intermission would be nice, tho. I've never spent that much time in the theater for one film.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Last time I sat in a theater that long was Return of the King. Let's do this!

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
This looks like bladder problem.

Seriously guys, can't anyone here actually survive 3 hours without going to a bathroom?

For me it's something very specific to theaters. The cold or something, but I almost always have to pee once or at most twice during a movie. At my house or work I can go like a full day without peeing if I haven't had enough water.

But as soon as I start watching a movie in the cinema .. the fucking waterworks kick in.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For me it's something very specific to theaters. The cold or something, but I almost always have to pee once or at most twice during a movie. At my house or work I can go like a full day without peeing if I haven't had enough water.

But as soon as I start watching a movie in the cinema .. the fucking waterworks kick in.

It could be a mental thing though. Try going with appropiate clothes and train your mind to not think about it.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You try going right before you watch? Like not before you leave for the theater, but right before you move your physical body to your seat. My wife and I always pee immediately before the show starts. If we arrive early, we take or seats and then leave one at a time to pee during the previews. Hasn't failed us yet.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Is that Official Avengers Endgame Artwork?

It's weird that they are trying to cut all these trailers that show you nothing, but will gladly spoil the resurrection of Black Panther in a poster.

EDIT: Oh, I guess Gammorah's back too.

It's keyart from the first one. The color palette is wrong (It's Purplish for Endgame) and Thor still has his eyepatch.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The movie was largely "meh." Certainly not a good movie, and these movies always drag their run times. At least the other two movies kept me on my seat with characters I gave a shit about.
I think it's largely not for you man. The characters are widely accepted as engaging and empathetic, hence why that ending worked at all.

Feb 5, 2018
I think it's largely not for you man. The characters are widely accepted as engaging and empathetic, hence why that ending worked at all.

Hence why we are even getting a 3 hour Marvel movie made by Disney. This is literally unprecedented for Disney, especially since this film is riding on topping even Infinity War, yet tgey are allowing it to be 33 minutes longer than even that.

People love these characters. They are essentually our next "star wars"

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
.. what? Infinity literally did not drag at all. Ask most people here, it did not feel like a 2.5 hour movie

According to whom? There will never be any empirical study on opinions, but myself and several other people felt the movie was overly long. The thing was, I felt the runtime in the way I didn't for the other movies. Probably because I never found the plot or character demises interesting or consequential.

This is a wrong opinion.

*Rolls eyes*

I have found the fawning over the MCU movies to be embarrassing, but you may have a point. Widely accepted by whom? Box office, online reviews? Pretty low metric, but go with it if you want. Did the ending work? For the moment, yes. I need to see Endgame to properly review whether the stories of both Infinity War and Captain Marvel will work with the last movie. So, I will reserve final opinion.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
According to whom? There will never be any empirical study on opinions, but myself and several other people felt the movie was overly long. The thing was, I felt the runtime in the way I didn't for the other movies. Probably because I never found the plot or character demises interesting or consequential.

*Rolls eyes*

I have found the fawning over the MCU movies to be embarrassing, but you may have a point. Widely accepted by whom? Box office, online reviews? Pretty low metric, but go with it if you want. Did the ending work? For the moment, yes. I need to see Endgame to properly review whether the stories of both Infinity War and Captain Marvel will work with the last movie. So, I will reserve final opinion.
You won't make friends with holier than thou phrasing like this, just saying.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
I understand for a kid 3 hours could be a long time, but do you guys as adults REALLY have trouble holding it that long? Or is it just jokes about the cliche hyperbole? I really can't tell.

It's been like 5 hours since I pee'd last and I've had 3 cans of Diet. Dr Pepper and a coffee in that time. I could still sit through end game if it started right now. I will frequently sit for 6ish hours at a time without using the restroom.

And it's not some kind of brag post, I'm legitimately confused as to why adults ITT seem to have such a hard time holding their pee?

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Gonna wait for the VOD

I aint aboubt that life, sitting in sweat and smell with a bunch of nerds fro 3 hours.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
You won't make friends with holier than thou phrasing like this, just saying.

You also won't make friend putting words in people's mouths. I said the movie was "meh." Do you have this attitude when you disagree with movie, artist or any consumable pop culture icon you don't like? I'm going to guess not. Give me a break.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
This is terrific news. I probably won't be drinking much after my morning coffee.

This will probably affect the BO performance but that's what is amazing about this decision - Disney must be confident in the 3 hour cut to sacrifice some revenue. Otherwise, they might as well cut the runtime to get more shows in.

I think this is a huge vite of confidence is what the final product is and it's also what this series deserves - a huge send-off (for phases 1-3).