• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
You could say the same about litteraly every space faring faction or hero. Why didn't Odin stop Thanos for example.

Not really. A. I'm not sure Odin COULD stop Thanos. Hell, Asgard had enough trouble just fending off the Dark Elves. B. And they DID protect their client worlds. I'm sure if Thanos had directly attacked one of the nine realms or whatever then the Asgardians would have responded.

Granted, the MCU cosmic universe is a murky, murky place. Relationships between intergalactic peoples are ill-defined at best, mostly non-existent apparently so hard to say how closely tey follow what happens on other worlds. You could say the same thing about any Avenger who didn't show up to help a fellow hero out in a pinch, really. But CM is SUCH a "win button" character and seems to effortlessly move around the universe without any limitations that it seems odd that in 30 years of space faring she never seemed to encounter Thanos or any of his minions and just curb stomp them. Clearly the mothership recognized her prowess because they all turned their guns on her the second she hit atmo so maybe they did have some inkling of what she could/would do. The GOTG spent a whole movie or 2 trying to circumvent Thanos so I don't see why anyone would think they didn't do their part. Anyway, given how easily and quickly CM can deal with pretty much anything I hope they come up with a reasonable limiting factor for her other than "I don't care to do that right now".

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not a problem either, because there are an infinite number of universes.
You don't understand, it's going to cause a mess even if the universes are infinite. Eventually there will be universes where the time travelers will get crowded and they won't be able to time travel anymore to get infinity stones. In the meanwhile, the number of universes will go up exponentially as well. although that might not be a problem in and of itself when the number of universes is infinite, if shit starts to regularly go bad consistently after a few iterations, an untold amount will be caused. So it doesn't just end with returning the stones, there will be more and more consequences with each iteration.

Nov 30, 2017
Multiverse is exactly what I'm talking about. Read my post where I explain it.

Just from them appearing there can cause a butterfly effect in that reality where they even don't discover timetravel. Let's look at what happened in 2012. Sure the Ancient One is back to as nothing happened.

However young Steve is aware that Bucky is alive way before he discovers it in the original timeline. That can lead to major ramifications.

Also instead of Loki and the Tesseract ending up in Asgard, Loki takes off with it. Just think about the ramifications of that especially with the headspace that Loki is in at that moment of his life.

But yes with your original statement. Just with the multiverse theory alone there could be an infinite amount of realities where the Avengers travel back in time, however the teams that go could be different, the places the teams go could be different.

One version of Thanos could figure out a way to reverse engineer the pym particles another could never figure it out and end up gathering the stones like he does in infinity War but having learned of his future, instead of snapping half the population away he rebuilds the universe to his liking.

Could be one universe where Thanos becomes the Sircerer Supreme and fights Dormammu to save it his universe.

Infinite possiblities. It's hard for us to wrap our head around.

The MCU is apart of the multiverse of Marvel comics. Marvel Comics is universe 616, MCU is 199999. There could be a future where a 616 character runs into an MCU character. Lol

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Iron Man 1 rocked the best IM armor of the entire MCU:
Mark II
RNe9Vz2m.jpg

The mk2 is very underrated.

In basic chronological order I think my top 5 are mk2, mk3, mk4, mk42, mk85.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Infinite possiblities. It's hard for us to wrap our head around.
You're talking about the multiverse itself. What I'm talking about is a direct consequence of the avengers time traveling. Sure, eventually it's all just part of the multiverse, but it's part of the multiverse the avengers are directly responsible for.

It could be an interesting and fun narrative for the avengers to deal with. Perhaps a multiverse character can come in to play and make the avengers fix the mess they caused or some such. Perhaps people from one of the alternate realities where the accumulation of time travelers had severe consequences figured out how to travel to the original timeline that started the time travel shenanigans and come to get revenge.

Nov 30, 2017
You're talking about the multiverse itself. What I'm talking about is a direct consequence of the avengers time traveling. Sure, eventually it's all just part of the multiverse, but it's part of the multiverse the avengers are directly responsible for.

It could be an interesting and fun narrative for the avengers to deal with. Perhaps a multiverse character can come in to play and make the avengers fix the mess they caused or some such. Perhaps people from one of the alternate realities where the accumulation of time travelers had severe consequences figured out how to travel to the original timeline that started the time travel shenanigans and come to get revenge.

Are you aware of the the What If series on Disney Plus?

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
Time travel in movies is always terrible. It only works if the story is time travel, e.g. Back to the Future, The Time Machine.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Seen the movie 3 times. I'm fairly positive she did. Why would her head go all haywire if she didn't? It wasn't just because Maw was accessing her memory file or should would have been malfunctioning before the attempt to jump.

She did not. She freezes when Rhodney warps back and then falls to the ground.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Clint: "So, before me and Natasha go get the Soulstone, is there anything we need to know? Like do we need to know anything important about how to get it? Is there anything we need to do to find it? Anything we'd really need to know beforehand?"

Nebula: "... ... ...No."

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Clint: "So, before me and Natasha go get the Soulstone, is there anything we need to know? Like do we need to know anything important about how to get it? Is there anything we need to do to find it? Anything we'd need to know beforehand?

She didn't know the soul stone requirement of a soul for a soul, she only knows Thanos killed Gamora on Vormir. She doesn't know why. For all she knows Gamora tried to stop him and he killed her.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
Clint: "So, before me and Natasha go get the Soulstone, is there anything we need to know? Like do we need to know anything important about how to get it? Is there anything we need to do to find it? Anything we'd really need to know beforehand?"

Imagine being an audience member to a movie and getting worked up when characters in the movie react a certain way as if they know what you know as an audience member.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanos didn't even know how getting the Soul Stone worked.

Nobody did. Not Thanos, not Nebula, not even Gamora.

It might even be possible that nobody ever knew and that's why the Soul Gem had been left untouched since the beginning of the universe when the other five gems were clearly taken from their own "Vormir" and shuffled around the universe over millions of years.

Maybe there was no one to tell folks what they needed to sacrifice for the Soul Gem until the Space Gem spat Red Skull out on Vormir.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of OT2 we should just ban all Avengers talk across all threads. Would love to see the box office thread this week without it.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
So, we now have an alternate universe where Loki got the Tesseract early. Another where Thanos died before GotG, and another one where Cap stayed behind and probably prevented a bunch of bad stuff from happening, correct?

What do you think is more likely, Ultimate MCU, Incursions, Kang, Secret War Doom, or something else?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, we now have an alternate universe where Loki got the Tesseract early. Another where Thanos died before GotG, and another one where Cap stayed behind and probably prevented a bunch of bad stuff from happening, correct?

What do you think is more likely, Ultimate MCU, Incursions, Kang, Secret War Doom, or something else?

Disney+ stuff. What If, Loki show, etc.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, for the last 3rd of the movie I think I was just openly weeping lol. Not the whole time, but a lot of it. No big ugly cries, but just leaking a lot.

So good.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about Captain Marvel, it seems clear they wrote the EG script without knowing details of her own movie because the Rambeaus are not even mentioned.

The movie was about the effect of the snap and we don't know if Carol's best friends were dusted or not.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Socially unaware? Fuck off dude.

Why is Cap whipping out a pic of Peggy Carter before fighting Thanos? We know why, because the writers wanted to plant that seed in the story, but there's very little reason he would do something like that. It's not like he whips out her pic all the time lol

It's a classic 'fighter pilot looks across at sepia photo of sweetheart in cockpit before going on suicide mission' thing

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this again over the weekend with my little bro. Tony has really grown on me from Ironman to Endgame. I didn't really like him back then but his showing in Endgame was just everything.

The guilt and anger in the beginning, the inability to stay away from it despite having something very precious, figuring out the time stuff, sacrificing himself for everyone, etc... It was great.

Also, Black Widow's first scene after the 5 year mark gets me when I see it.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think the accumulation of time travelers will cause problems for anyone because it'll just create an alternate universe- and there's capacity for infinite universes.

One potential avenue for arevenge plot could be the ramifications of a one of the timelines that has deviated in relation to the prime timeline. 2014 Thanos being eliminated, 2012 Loki escaping, and Cap jumping back to the 40's could have huge ramifications for those alternate timelines, and it would be interesting if someone jumped from the future, creating a branch of our prime timeline where he makes the Avengers pay- it could be an interesting take on Kang the Conqueror.

Last edited:

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be cool if they did a MASSIVE super-cut with all the movies.

There's a fan project that has been editing them into tv-length episodes for a while. Haven't seen but the comments are positive.

Thinking about the way Tarentino just put out the 4 part episodic version of Hateful 8 on Netflix makes that an interesting prospect.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that wants them to get rid of Black Panther's suit with dumb shockwave powers?

Felt like they had it perfect with everything in Civil War.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
That was a line that directly tied into 2012 Thanos appearing before them, wasn't it?
That's what the movie's going into, but Tony said it to Cap before they even saw Thanos in the ruins of Avengers HQ. From their perspective there was just the snap (with them covering HQ and not knowing what would occur when it had been done) and then the ruins with that line after Tony found Cap when he asked what the heck happened.

I found it really interesting for Tony to mention that line too considering he was the one that seemed very reluctant about using timetravel and how it could potentially screwup things if not done right originally. Again might be nothing, but it's interesting that Tony mentioned it before they saw that Thanos had comeback into the future.
That's what I was hoping. There's some posts on the consequences in this thread. If you think about it, say the reality where Hulk talks to TAO, then the Hulk from that reality would eventually go back in time and then there would be two Hulks trying to talk to TAO at the same time, three the next time, four, and so on. Plus, for every time this happens, all the other realities have to be branched (copied) as well, so it grows exponentially. It's not just something that can keep on growing, they either have to devise a system to stop it from happening, or there needs to be some outside intervening. Would be cool if they go in that direction, get even more real consequences for what Thanos did, and would be interesting in its own right.

But after the screenwriter's comments on how he understood time travel, I don't think that's happening. At least not by them :(
Yeah it would be a nice way to have Thanos snap shakeup the MCU even more, even after the snap being reversed there'd still be consequences. I don't think they'd have to go too deep into it either, could just go with a villain like Kang or use it as a way to bring the more cosmic beings into the MCU later down the line because of what occured with all the timetravel and three snaps. (heck the living tribuneral was supposed to be in Infinity War on Titan at one point, so they'll probably introduce that type of stuff down the line)

I'm not too sure how far they'll go into it but the Wanda Vision and Loki shows seem like they might cover some alt reality stuff at least (Wanda Vision seemed to have concept art set in the 50's and then there's that open end for 2012 Loki in Endgame they can choose to adapt) all depends on where Fiege and co wanna go with it down the line I guess.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty positive that she hit the button and it didn't work.

I watched it a second time looking for it - she never presses it because she loses control before she can. Her hand freezes before she presses it.

I don't see any evidence in the movie that she regained control. She did press the button to jump, but she couldn't because her location was scrambled up with Bad Nebula. Guess she can't disable her WiFi

She regained control when she is able to run to the ship to try to use the communicator to talk to Nat and Clint.

She never pressed the button to jump. She tried to, but she lost control right before she did. She regains control after her memory was finished being accessed but instead of pressing it, she runs to the ship to try to contact Nat and Clint... then she lets herself be beamed up by Thanos.

The device she uses is the GPS to the present time and Bad Nebula couldn't affect that.

Last edited:

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
That's what the movie's going into, but Tony said it to Cap before they even saw Thanos in the ruins of Avengers HQ. From their perspective there was just the snap (with them covering HQ and not knowing what would occur when it had been done) and then the ruins with that line after Tony found Cap when he asked what the heck happened.

I'm pretty sure he knew Thanos was there. It's not like any of them were shocked when they walked up and saw him sitting there, despite knowing that Thor beheaded him 5 years ago.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure he knew Thanos was there. It's not like any of them were shocked when they walked up and saw him sitting there, despite knowing that Thor beheaded him 5 years ago.
Yeah that's a good point. Again probably just a throwaway line but I do enjoy when stuff has some forshadowing of the future.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the accumulation of time travelers will cause problems for anyone because it'll just create an alternate universe- and there's capacity for infinite universes.
I'm talking about the accumulation of time travelers in the same spot/time. Hence the Hulk example. Every time they decide to get the Infinity Stones from the past, theyll add to the number of people. They'll notice that it's accumulating once they meet themselves as time travelers, and have to do something about it. And if they don't, it'll just keep accumulating. All of it originating from the initial MCU time travel stint.

It doesn't really matter that it'll just create alternate universes, that's just the logistics. What matters here is the morality of it. If by using time travel, you suddenly bring doom and destruction to an untold number of alternate realities, then it's not okay anymore. That's the reason why they decided to return the Infinity Stones from their respective realities, so that they would have the least amount of change to the reality that they would be responsible for. But as we see, that doesn't really hold up, there are going to be real problems eventually.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about the accumulation of time travelers in the same spot/time. Hence the Hulk example. Every time they decide to get the Infinity Stones from the past, theyll add to the number of people. They'll notice that it's accumulating once they meet themselves as time travelers, and have to do something about it. And if they don't, it'll just keep accumulating. All of it originating from the initial MCU time travel stint.

It doesn't really matter that it'll just create alternate universes, that's just the logistics. What matters here is the morality of it. If by using time travel, you suddenly bring doom and destruction to an untold number of alternate realities, then it's not okay anymore. That's the reason why they decided to return the Infinity Stones from their respective realities, so that they would have the least amount of change to the reality that they would be responsible for. But as we see, that doesn't really hold up, there are going to be real problems eventually.

They are in the same spot at the same time, but in completely different universes. They'll never meet each other.

It seemed like you understood this in you last explanation.

Prime hulk lived through Prime 2012, then traveled to 2012A.

2012A Hulk lives through 2012A, then travels back to 2012B.

2012B Hulk lives through 2012B, then travels back to 2012C

2012C Hulk lives through 2012C. Then travels back to 2012D

There's never an accumulation of time travelers. The only way there would be an accumulation of travelers is if they all went to 2012A, which isn't how this works.

Last edited:

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
But as we see, that doesn't really hold up, there are going to be real problems eventually.

maybe, but those 'real' problems aren't their problems. They are problems for that universe to handle.

the real time shenanigans begin when someone time travels into the prime timeline.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are in the same spot at the same time, but in completely different universes. They'll never meet each other.

It seemed like you understood this in you last explanation.

Prime hulk lived through Prime 2012, then traveled to 2012A.

2012A Hulk lives through 2012A, then travels back to 2012B.

2012B Hulk lives through 2012B, then travels back to 2012C

2012C Hulk lives through 2012C. Then travels back to 2012D

There's never an accumulation of time travelers.
You didn't get the example.

If you go back in to your past, you go to a new reality, that is an exact copy of your past up until the point that you go to.

So take your universe 2012A. 2012A Hulk's past already includes 2012 Hulk, because 2012 Hulk traveled to 2012A. So when 2012A Hulk goes to 2012B it will include 2012 Hulk.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's a fan project that has been editing them into tv-length episodes for a while. Haven't seen but the comments are positive.

Thinking about the way Tarentino just put out the 4 part episodic version of Hateful 8 on Netflix makes that an interesting prospect.
Oh pretty cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.