• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
I think the major problem I have with Infinity War and Endgame is Thanos' plot armor.

The Avengers are so powerful that Thanos has to be gifted a ludicrous amount of things to even come close to winning.

1. Nick Fury deciding not to call up Captain Marvel once Thanos got multiple stones and when Thor and Hulk were out of commission.
2. Dr. Strange not using the timestone to reverse time and stop Peter Quill from screwing up the pretty effective plan of stealing the Gauntlet.
3. Nebula's network working in this very specific way.
4. Avengers not inviting Captain Marvel to go back in time with them.
5. Nebula not attempting to go back to the future after it failed the first time despite a pretty long amount of time to do so.
6. Dr. Strange not just using his teleportation powers to move the gauntlet away for a few seconds while Captain Marvel etc took out Thanos and his army considering that Thanos' army is completely outclassed at this point and the only way Thanos can win is by getting the Gauntlet.

Dr. Strange, Thor, and Captain Marvel are so absurdly powerful that the Avengers need to make a bunch of very bizarre decisions just to give Thanos any chance at all.

The 1 in 13 million scene is very irritating in light of how much incredible luck Thanos needs.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Gonna miss him.

It's crazy when you think about how far he came...
tumblr_inline_p80q5zCZHG1rp2e8f_250.gif

tumblr_n4cn8btLJt1tpf1uso5_250.gif

e5439140f3f767ec97ae6d013c8e8c6852f8f200_00.gif

Even further than that

It's crazy how I thought he wasn't fit for Captain America at first but now he's the most endearing part of this franchise. The Captain America in the MCU is leagues better than any incarnation in the comics.

Oct 26, 2017
One more point I have is that Civil War 2 is probably the most potentially intriguing Event the series could do moving forward but to do, they're going to have to have some of the Avengers actually have strong philosophical beliefs that become established over the next few movies, with some of the Avengers potentially becoming just villains.

The main reason Civil War 2 the comic is one of the worst comics out there is that Captain Marvel becomes an insane fascist and one of the dumbest people alive with no comics buildup.

Some Avengers showing authoritarian tendencies that develop over time and then having those Avengers drift over to Magneto or Doctor Doom would be very interesting.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
You didn't get the example.

If you go back in to your past, you go to a new reality, that is an exact copy of your past up until the point that you go to.

So take your universe 2012A. 2012A Hulk's past already includes 2012 Hulk, because 2012 Hulk traveled to 2012A. So when 2012A Hulk goes to 2012B it will include 2012 Hulk.

No, when 2012A hulk goes to 2012B it will only have 2012B's hulk. And this 2012B Hulk wouldn't be meeting TAO, he'd be fighting the Chituri.

2012A Hulks history doesn't include anything that 2012 Hulk did after 2012 Because 2012A's universe was created when 2012 Hulk arrived.

Last edited:

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
One more point I have is that Civil War 2 is probably the most potentially intriguing Event the series could do moving forward but to do, they're going to have to have some of the Avengers actually have strong philosophical beliefs that become established over the next few movies, with some of the Avengers potentially becoming just villains.

The main reason Civil War 2 the comic is one of the worst comics out there is that Captain Marvel becomes an insane fascist and one of the dumbest people alive with no comics buildup.

Some Avengers showing authoritarian tendencies that develop over time and then having those Avengers drift over to Magneto or Doctor Doom would be very interesting.
Adapting Civil War 2 would be completely pointless and would accomplish nothing but character assassinating the MCU's only female lead character.

The core of why Civil War was a successful adaptation wasn't the Superhero Registration Act/Sokovia Accords. The emotional core that made Civil War so good as a movie was that it was about the conflict between Cap, who just wanted to protect his friend who was victimized by the real villains, and Tony, who felt betrayed that Cap would protect the man who killed his parents.

There's no way that this could be replicated for Time Cop/Precog bullshit.

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, when 2012A hulk goes to 2012B it will only have 2012B's hulk. 2012's hulk never goes to 2012B.
Ok, you're almost there. Now, in 2012A's past, 2012 Hulk was there. So, when 2012A goes into their past in 2012B, 2012 Hulk must be there. So, 2012B contains 2012 Hulk.

Obviously the 2012 Hulk that we saw wasn't in 2012B, so 2012 must be branched off again, so now there is a 2012' Hulk that ends up in 2012B, where soon after they arrive 2012A Hulk arrives.

Oct 26, 2017
Adapting Civil War 2 would be completely pointless and would accomplish nothing but character assassinating the MCU's only female lead character.

The core of why Civil War was a successful adaptation wasn't the Superhero Registration Act/Sokovia Accords. The emotional core that made Civil War so good as a movie was that it was about the conflict between Cap, who just wanted to protect his friend who was victimized by the real villains, and Tony, who felt betrayed that Cap would protect the man who killed his parents.

There's no way that this could be replicated for Time Cop/Precog bullshit.

I don't mean adapting the actual book.

But like the idea of the Avengers fighting again.

Like Logan the movie is an """""adaptation"""" of Old Man Logan but there are no similarities whatsoever (which is good, Old Man Logan is a disaster and a horrific piece of fiction).

The Avengers have just gotten so strong that a villain being able to challenge them would seem a little silly.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I think moving on, they should separate the two - Earth level heroes and cosmic level heroes. Keep the villains more grounded than Thanos until the X-Men/Fantastic Four are introduced then go with Galactus/Silver Surfer.

It would be awesome to see Old Cap as an advisor too.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Even further than that

It's crazy how I thought he wasn't fit for Captain America at first but now he's the most endearing part of this franchise. The Captain America in the MCU is leagues better than any incarnation in the comics.

I'll be bluntly honest...

Yeah, when I heard Chris "Human Torch" Evans was going to be Captain America, I was thinking "no, that's poor casting, and the stink of the Fantastic Four movies is going to follow him".

Couldn't be further from the truth.
source.gif

He nailed it. Everyone always thinks RDJ was perfect casting (rightfully so), but JUST as much credit has to go to Chris Evans for taking a character that I was always bored by in the comics and making him such a multifaceted, nuanced, and inspiring character in the films.

Oct 26, 2017
Still kind of amazed Civil War 2 the book was ever made.

Captain Marvel was obviously being pushed as one of the main Marvel characters and then they... turn her into an incredibly stupid fascist out of nowhere?

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mean adapting the actual book.

But like the idea of the Avengers fighting again.

Like Logan the movie is an """""adaptation"""" of Old Man Logan but there are no similarities whatsoever (which is good, Old Man Logan is a disaster and a horrific piece of fiction).

The Avengers have just gotten so strong that a villain being able to challenge them would seem a little silly.
If that's what you want then all they need to do is spar as an exercise. Even in Civil War (the movie) it's not like anybody was actually playing for keeps.

Oct 26, 2017
If that's what you want then all they need to do is spar as an exercise. Even in Civil War (the movie) it's not like anybody was actually playing for keeps.

Well in Civil War (the movie), yes.

But I do think an actual conflict that had real stakes and deaths would be very interesting and manage to not have the "... And this guy is like 10x more powerful than Thanos!" power creep issue.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Part of me wants there to be a sequence in Guardians 3 where Thor and Carol get drunk, have a fight, destroy something and have to sober up or something. It'd be funny to see Quill having to be the responsible one in straightening them out.

Though I doubt they'd give Carol her 616 drinking problem. It'd at least give the character something interesting.

I don't even know if Thor will still be fat the next time we see him.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I would love for Doom to be the next overarching big bad for this new generation of MCU movies.

Making an interpretation of Doom that works in film in general would be a feat. I love the character, but he does have certain design aspects that make him...a bit goofy for live adaptation. Confident that they would make it work though.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would love for Doom to be the next overarching big bad for this new generation of MCU movies.

Making an interpretation of Doom that works in film in general would be a feat. I love the character, but he does have certain design aspects that make him...a bit goofy for live adaptation. Confident that they would make it work though.
Doom would be perfect with the right approach in a post-Thanos world.

The whole point of Doom is he thinks the world (even the universe) is at risk from greater threats than humanity is capable of dealing with, that the world is disorganized, hateful, and divided to stand against them, and has the arrogance to assume that if he were to unite the world under his rule he could save all of humanity through his "benevolent" dictatorship.

... And, depending on the context of the story, he's entirely right. When he confronted the gods of Black Panther, they judged him as entirely righteous in his goals and ambitions. His methods are often extreme and villainous, but his ultimate aims are altruistic.

5765047-3979859089-doom1.png

1200834-doomwar_3_paperpirate_cps_026.jpg

He's the hero of his own story.

In a post-Thanos world, he would see his need to unite and rule even more important than ever before.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We live in an age where audiences widely accept a cartoon space raccoon as a major chaarcter.

We can have a comics accurate Doom.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Doom would be perfect with the right approach in a post-Thanos world.

The whole point of Doom is he thinks the world (even the universe) is at risk from greater threats than humanity is capable of dealing with, that the world is disorganized, hateful, and divided to stand against them, and has the arrogance to assume that if he were to unite the world under his rule he could save all of humanity through his "benevolent" dictatorship.

... And, depending on the context of the story, he's entirely right. When he confronted the gods of Black Panther, they judged him as entirely righteous in his goals and ambitions. His methods are often extreme and villainous, but his ultimate aims are altruistic.

5765047-3979859089-doom1.png

1200834-doomwar_3_paperpirate_cps_026.jpg

He's the hero of his own story.

In a post-Thanos world, he would see his need to unite and rule even more important than ever before.

Agreed, unfortunately they ruined my dream casting of him by getting Mikkelsen as that forgettable Dr Strange villain. I wonder how they would deal with the mask - it would be hard for the actor to emote unless they go an Ironman route and do a headshot view.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, unfortunately they ruined my dream casting of him by getting Mikkelsen as that forgettable Dr Strange villain. I wonder how they would deal with the mask - it would be hard for the actor to emote unless they go an Ironman route and do a headshot view.
Mikkelsen would've been a poor Doom. Being in a mask robs Mads of his power

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They gotta do the mask.

It's not like they haven't entirely covered their actors up to be unrecognizable or hidden before. Even big actors like Brolin and Spader were just voice and motion capture and they were fine with it.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
What do we think about Jason Isaacs for the new Magneto.

A Jewish actor would be cool I think.

I think he's too old for the part and too young for his current origin story. They need to cast an actor who will be in his (or her) thirties in about five years time. The origin story will need to be tweaked or there will have to be some kind of framing device to explain Magneto's youthful appearance despite being a holocaust survivor.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, you're almost there. Now, in 2012A's past, 2012 Hulk was there. So, when 2012A goes into their past in 2012B, 2012 Hulk must be there. So, 2012B contains 2012 Hulk.

Obviously the 2012 Hulk that we saw wasn't in 2012B, so 2012 must be branched off again, so now there is a 2012' Hulk that ends up in 2012B, where soon after they arrive 2012A Hulk arrives.

Sigh.

There's only ever two Hulks in any given timeline. Let's just walk it through.

2012 Prime Hulk Is feral. He grows up, survives the snap, and becomes Smart Hulk. He then travels back in time to 2012A. He sees feral 2012A Hulk. He then gets the timestone then returns to Prime timeline.

2012A feral Hulk grows up, survives the snap in his universe. Becomes smart hulk. He then Travels back in time to 2012B. He sees feral 2012B Hulk, gets the timestone, then returns to 2012A. (He never sees 2012 prime hulk, because 2012 prime hulk never comes to 2012B)

2012B feral hulk grows up, survives the snap in his universe. Becomes smart hulk. He then travels back in time to 2012C. He encounters feral 2012C Hulk, gets the timestone, then returns to 2012B. (He never sees 2012 Hulk or 2012A Hulk, because those guys never come to 2012C.)

Rinse and repeat. There's no accumulation.

Last edited:

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Did you miss the purple giant with a nutsack for a chin?
They gotta do the mask.

It's not like they haven't entirely covered their actors up to be unrecognizable or hidden before. Even big actors like Brolin and Spader were just voice and motion capture and they were fine with it.

Yeah but Ultron and Thanos could both emote without something covering their face. That being said, Spider-Man and Black Panther workf. I'm sure Marvel will make it work, I'm just not sure what route they'd take, since Doom doesn't like showing his face in the comics.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh.

There's only ever two Hulks in any given timeline. Let's just walk it through.

2012 Prime Hulk Is feral. He grows up, survives the snap, and becomes Smart Hulk. He then travels back in time to 2012A. He sees feral 2012A Hulk. He then gets the timestone then returns to Prime timeline.

2012A feral Hulk grows up, survives the snap in his universe. Becomes smart hulk. He then Travels back in time to 2012B. He sees feral 2012B Hulk, gets the timestone, then returns to 2012A. (He never sees 2012 prime hulk, because 2012 prime hulk never comes to 2012B)
Why would 2012B branch from 2012 rather than 2012A?

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Just came back from watching Endgame. Its not the best MCU movie (not even in the top three), but its still damn great, I really liked it.

Loved the endings for both Tony and Cap.

Unpopular opinion, but I would like the next avengers to be smaller in scale, and only have 6-7 avengers like the Avengers 1. And dont include guardians and captain marvel outside of cameos or something.

Deleted member 13015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched it.

What a perfect ending. Both Captain and Tony finally at peace, after all the bullshit they've been through.

I wish there was one more Hulk vs Thanos fight during the big epic battle, like a personal fight. I would of loved it and that Hulk is so pissed at what happened that he turns back into the barbaric, animal Hulk while kicking Thanos' ass.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Why would 2012B branch from 2012 rather than 2012A?

It doesn't. 2012 B branches from 2012A.

That's what I said.

This is why there's no accumulation of timetravelers. Each time traveler is arriving at a different branch in relation to the one before him.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't. 2012 B branches from 2012A.

That's what I said.

This is why there's no accumulation of timetravelers. Each time traveler is arriving at a different branch in relation to the one before him.
You're already there, but you're missing what I said, haha. 2012B branches from 2012A, which has future 2012 Hulk in it.

And you already got, that 2012 Hulk wouldn't be there, because he went to 2012A. SO, 2012 branches into another reality, creating 2012', where 2012 Hulk lands in 2012B instead of A.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
One thing I did like about Cap and Starks endings was Stark needed to do something completely selfless and Cap was given the opportunity to do something for himself.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
1. Nick Fury deciding not to call up Captain Marvel once Thanos got multiple stones and when Thor and Hulk were out of commission

That one is only shown so late for dramatic effect. Even when Fury did use the pager, it took days or weeks for her to turnup, as per the CM end credits scene. The events of infinity war take a day or two at most, she simply wouldn't have arrived in time.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
You're already there, but you're missing what I said, haha. 2012B branches from 2012A, which has future 2012 Hulk in it.

And you already got, that 2012 Hulk wouldn't be there, because he went to 2012A. SO, 2012 branches into another reality, creating 2012', where 2012 Hulk lands in 2012B instead of A.

No, the moment 2012A Hulk arrives in 2012B it creates a new fork in the road.

the main road would be 2012A (which would have 2012 Hulk show up)

the Branch road would 2012B (which would have 2012A Hulk show up INSTEAD of 2012 Hulk)

You are imagining that the Branch is occurring at after the timetravelers arrive. But it's occuring at the instant they arrive.

Your assumption doesn't work, because we know you can't change an individuals history. 2012 Hulk never ran into multiple timetravelers when he went back. That is set in stone. which means future iterations will never run into 2012 Hulk.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, the moment 2012A Hulk arrives in 2012B it creates a new fork in the road.

the main road would be 2012A (which would have 2012 Hulk show up)

the Branch road would 2012B (which would have 2012A Hulk show up INSTEAD of 2012 Hulk)

You are imagining that the Branch is occurring at after the timetravelers arrive. But it's occuring at the instant they arrive.
This only applies if 2012A Hulk goes back in time to before 2012 Hulk arrived, which is in no way a guarantee. They will choose to arrive earlier than the other sometime.

Arriving at the same time should be no different than if it were afterward, I don't see why that wouldn't happen, since that is what happened in reality 2012A.

But, even if its before, or at the exact same moment, Hulk 2012 arriving in the universe is a completely external factor. There isn't anything they can do to change that, so even if 2012A Hulk goes back in time to before 2012 Hulk arrived, 2012' Hulk would still arrive, otherwise it wouldn't be an actual copy of 2012A.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.