• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
But when Strange and Time Stone where gone, did that make lift the spell that was holding off Dormammu?
Dormammu never had a spell put on him after Strange's movie. Strange kept him away via the threat of the Time Stone's powers, not any actual application of the Time Stone post-movie.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Just saw it. Pretty big meh for me but I've only really liked only a couple of the Marvel movies.

Fat Thor rules. Wish he got the killing blow.

The time travel solution was lame.

Has anyone explained how Thanos snapped in Infinity Wars since he straight up skipped that time period? ---- Thanos wasn't present in the Universe from 2014 to 2023(?) as far as I can figure since Nebula time skipped him to this final battle. Seems like this negates Thanos collecting the stones in the first place among a lot of other things, like Quill even ever meeting Gomora in the first place and Nebula's storyline being very problematic.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Who was paying for Clint's wife's cellphone plan for FIVE YEARS?
If he's under some Avengers family plan, I can understand maybe a year after the snap. But who would still have working phone coverage after 5 years. Also, why would her phone even be around and charged after 5 years?

Yet another feat showing for Professor Hulk.

He didn't just bring people back, he had to do the 5 year jump, save all the people from planes crashing when pilots left, save cell phone plans, etc.

Stark just had to wish away some people on the battlefield :D

Oct 28, 2017
If he's under some Avengers family plan, I can understand maybe a year after the snap. But who would still have working phone coverage after 5 years. Also, why would her phone even be around and charged after 5 years?
It's called dramatic license. You can't tell me you were actually THINKING this in the moment.

Last edited:

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

Some people have prepaid SIMs. If the phone company is still around, or its successor honours the phone credit, the phone can be used. But this is just a narrative device, it's best not to get hung up on trivial detail.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Just saw it. Pretty big meh for me but I've only really liked only a couple of the Marvel movies.

Has anyone explained how Thanos snapped in Infinity Wars since he straight up skipped that time period? ---- Thanos wasn't present in the Universe from 2014 to 2023(?) as far as I can figure since Nebula time skipped him to this final battle. Seems like this negates Thanos collecting the stones in the first place among a lot of other things, like Quill even ever meeting Gomora in the first place and Nebula's storyline being very problematic.
Thanos time jumping from 2014 to 2023 created new alternative timeline, but didn't change the one we were following for the last 11 years.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017

They spell it out for you, it doesn't work like Back to the Future, every timeline is an alternate timeline.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They explained how time travel worked in this movie like 4 times and some of ya'll were still on your phones during it smh lol

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Russo Brothers: Alright, to explain time works differently I am going to have everyone be incredibly disappointed that their favorite time travel movies are false. Then I will emphasize multiple times that time travel isn't linear.

Certain Moviegoers that love being obtuse: HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN TIME TRAVEL IS LINEAR!?!?!?!?!? I DON'T CARE WHAT THE AVENGERS SAY I AM GOING TO MISUNDERSTAND TO THE ANCIENT ONE'S LINE THAN PRETEND I KNOW MORE THAN ANYONE!

No, seriously, it's not that hard to understand, nor confusing. At the very least it's far more understandable than people finagling and twisting logic beyond comprehension so they can pretend the ACTUAL STATED REASON HOW TIME TRAVEL WORKS doesn't exist.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But when Strange and Time Stone where gone, did that make lift the spell that was holding off Dormammu?

...There is no spell holding off Dormamu. It was a deal. Like, at this point I'm questioning people's ability to watch movies. It was never a spell that held off Dormammu, it was a deal. Dormamu goes free from Dr. Strange's timeloop, Dormamu takes his followers and never bothers the main dimension again.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...There is no spell holding off Dormamu. It was a deal. Like, at this point I'm questioning people's ability to watch movies. It was never a spell that held off Dormammu, it was a deal. Dormamu goes free from Dr. Strange's timeloop, Dormamu takes his followers and never bothers the main dimension again.

Or at least until he finds out Strange doesn't have the Time Gem any more and thus cannot trap him with it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
No, seriously, it's not that hard to understand, nor confusing. At the very least it's far more understandable than people finagling and twisting logic beyond comprehension so they can pretend the ACTUAL STATED REASON HOW TIME TRAVEL WORKS doesn't exist.
I would hardly call Hulk's "your present becomes your past, your past becomes your present" infodump as being "not that hard to understand, nor confusing" lol

Certainly the easier way to explain that changing the past doesn't change the future, but creates an alternate future instead, would've been to just say exactly that.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would hardly call Hulk's "your present becomes your past, your past becomes your present" infodump as being "not that hard to understand, nor confusing" lol

Certainly the easier way to explain that changing the past doesn't change the future, but creates an alternate future instead, would've been to just say exactly that.

HE DOES SAY EXACTLY THAT!

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like you missed the whole explanation of how time travel works...

The Thanos from the end of Endgame is from a different timeline than the one who snapped in IW.

This explains all of your 'problems'.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it yesterday. I really enjoyed it but leave it Stark to come up with a plan that benefits himself and fucks everyone else over.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
HE DOES SAY EXACTLY THAT!
the actual dialogue:
"I don't know why everyone believes that, but that isn't true. Think about it: If you travel to the past, that past becomes your future, and your former present becomes the past! Which can't now be changed by your new future!"

Maybe you can parse that as "changing the past creates an alternate future a la BTTF 2" but to me it's a tortured bit of dialogue that confuses the movie's time travel logic more than it explains them. A simpler way of saying it would just be saying changing the past makes a new timeline. Exactly as Doc Brown did in BTTF 2!

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Saw it yesterday. it was awesome and had a question
How does this time travel work? Did Steve make a loop or go to an alternate reality

Status
Not open for further replies.