• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
A good post that isn't about time travel
  • FFNB

Associate Game Designer
    Verified
    Oct 25, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the biggest unsung thing the writers and actors of Endgame executed was making these larger than life heroes human.

Tony: being emaciated and at death's door at the start of the film. His amazing reunion with Cap and the surviving Avengers when he confronts Steve. His relationship with his daughter. Even little details like him washing dishes at his cabin.

Natasha: Her desperation to do something, anything, to make a positive difference in the world. The peanut butter sandwich scene is so incredibly human. Like, "superheroes eat PBJ? So do I!" Her friendship with Clint and how deep it is (and pays off so much over the course of these movies). Her inability to move on after their second defeat (Thanos got the last laugh even though he loses his head).

Clint: His despair and survivors guilt and anger after losing his entire family. I mean, it wasn't just his wife that was dusted, but his 3 children as well. How can that not break a person? I totally understood his arc in this film. And then he loses Natasha, his dearest friend, when victory still wasn't assured at that point in the film. His scene at the beginning with his daughter was also touching and human. No superheroics, just a man having a picnic with his family and joking with his daughter.

Thor: We've seen this guy as a cocky, arrogant prince, and a powerful thunder god, but his depression and sorrow and regret, and guilt was some of the strongest emotional throughline of the movie. Hemsworth killed it. And yeah, fat Thor had moments played up for laughs, but his mental and emotional state was so, so believable and human. I never felt the humor undercut that in any way. His scene with Rocket, and with his mom are two of the highlights of the film.

Steve: Even though they lost. Even though the world is gone to shit, Steve is in a support group with regular, non-super powered people trying to help them move on and find hope, even when he doesn't feel it himself. Even when he's incapable of moving on. The line about how he went into the ice after meeting the love of his life makes that final scene with Peggy that much more beautiful to me. The PBJ scene with Nat and the mention of him coming to do his laundry is another small moment that grounds all of these characters and makes them feel human.

I love the first hour of Endgame because the tone it sets wouldn't be out of place in a drama about people that don't run around in tights and suits of armor for a living. Just really well done stuff. I love little details that make characters feel real, and the cast and crew of this movie delivered that, while also delivering an insanely spectacular and over the top final act.

It's such a great compliment to Infinity War, and a wonderful bookend to the 22 movies that came before it. It's not a flawless film, but it is an impressively made film. I can't wait to own it.