• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Avengers: Endgame |Spoiler OT2| Changing the past doesn't change the future

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's just comic book logic, but it was kind of weird to me that stones-less Thanos gave Thor and Cap so much trouble when even with all the stones Stormbreaker wrecked him in the previous movie.
In IW, Stormbreaker was specifically crafted to overcome the power of the gauntlet, and Thor caught Thanos by surprise when he chucked it at him.

In Endgame, Stormbreaker still would have killed Thanos, but w/o the element of surprise, no one could land a hit on Thanos w/ it.

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's just comic book logic, but it was kind of weird to me that stones-less Thanos gave Thor and Cap so much trouble when even with all the stones Stormbreaker wrecked him in the previous movie.
Yeah it seemed weird that he could just tank the hits in Endgame.

He beats the fuck out of hulk in the first movie without the stones and barely breaks a sweat
He has the Power stone already at the start of IW.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ok. So. Thanos comes from the past to the present and gets killed before he can return to the past and do the snap. Nothing changes, snap still happened.

Cap goes back to the past and marries Peggy Carter, and that change persists into the present.

I'm confused.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok. So. Thanos comes from the past to the present and gets killed before he can return to the past and do the snap. Nothing changes, snap still happened.

Cap goes back to the past and marries Peggy Carter, and that change persists into the present.

I'm confused.
The power stones was removed before Thanos went back, according to the writers removing the stones causes branching timelines.

Mar 5, 2019
Old Man Steve Rogers is around and somehow managed to avoid being known all along.
So, if he actually went back in time in the MCU timeline and managed to avoid being known, nothing changed. He was always there.
Alternatively, if he lived his life with Peggy in a different timeline, nothing changed either.
In short, whatever your preferred theory of timetravel is, the movie says you can't change the past, and it is consistent in that.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The power stones was removed before Thanos went back, according to the writers removing the stones causes branching timelines.
I guess that makes sense, in a dumb comic book way.

I loved the movie, but at the same time I fucking hate time travel stories.

Also, half the population of the universe is five years older than the other half that came back to life I guess? I wonder how that will work for Peter Parker and his friends. Not to mention all the civilian population.

Mar 5, 2019
I guess that makes sense, in a dumb comic book way.
This has nothing to do with it. Changing the past can't and doesn't change the present. So, killing a younger Thanos doesn't change anything, regardless of what happens to the power stone. I mean, it is explicitly told in the scene where Rhodey proposes to kill baby Thanos...

Mar 5, 2019
Tell that to the writers. According to them, the past can be changed and new timelines are made specifically when infinity stones are removed. That’s not my interpretation.
Sure, but this has nothing to do with this specific question. Rhodey wants to go kill baby Thanos. It is explained that that is useless, because it will change nothing in the present. So, regardless of what happens to the stones, 2014 Thanos dying will never have an effect on 2018 Thanos having already snapped his fingers.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but this has nothing to do with this specific question. Rhodey wants to go kill baby Thanos. It is explained that that is useless, because it will change nothing in the present. So, regardless of what happens to the stones, 2014 Thanos dying will never have an effect on 2018 Thanos having already snapped his fingers.
But I’d think that the writers wrote it thinking that 2014 Thanos would be a different Thanos because an infinity stone had just been removed.

Captain America does change the past, according to the writers.

Mar 5, 2019
Captain America does change the past, according to the writers.
No, he doesn't. According to the writers there was always a second Cap in the MCU timeline. So, he doesn't really change the past either. It always happened this way. Anyway, that's already been discussed to death in this thread. I prefer the multiple timelines theory of the Russos.. but in either case the rule is that the past can't be changed. Whatever the theory, Back to the Future is bullshit in the MCU.

Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
No, he doesn't. According to the writers there was always a second Cap in the MCU timeline. So, he doesn't really change the past either. It always happened this way. Anyway, that's already been discussed to death in this thread. I prefer the multiple timelines theory of the Russos.. but in either case the rule is that the past can't be changed. Whatever the theory, Back to the Future is bullshit in the MCU.
I prefer the screenwriters theory, but I do agree with the bolded.

Oct 31, 2017
*time travel talk begins again*

WHAT DID YOU DO????

Anyway, watched it again today, man, I don't get how a 3 hour long movie is so easy to watch. I never thought it would be this rewatchable. I ended up liking it better than Infinity War

The Avengers: Endgame actuals are in on BOM and they came $562.505 below in domestic numbers, $1.482.612 in domestic numbers.

Total Lifetime Grosses:

Domestic: $771,368,375 29.5%+

Foreign: $1,845,482,612 70.5%

Daily countdown:

The Avengers: Endgame box office cume actuals up until Sunday (24th day) is at $2,616,850,987.

This means that it needs more $171.114.100 to top Avatar.

Source: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=marvel2019.htm

Oct 31, 2017
OT title is correct

You can't change the past because time travel is always meant to happen

We've had people travel to our past and present already. You just won't believe.
It's not. I know that some folks say that time loops and alternate timelines can happen at the same time, but the point of alternate timelines is that things that didn't happened, now happened there.

Loki, 2014's Thanos , etc.

Oct 27, 2017
I
The Avengers: Endgame actuals are in on BOM and they came $562.505 below in domestic numbers, $1.482.612 in domestic numbers.

Total Lifetime Grosses:

Domestic: $771,368,375 29.5%+

Foreign: $1,845,482,612 70.5%

Daily countdown:

The Avengers: Endgame box office cume actuals up until Sunday (24th day) is at $2,616,850,987.

This means that it needs more $171.114.100 to top Avatar.

Source: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=marvel2019.htm
I’m pretty sure this doesn’t include the foreign weekend yet.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a few questions.

-Why did Thor not use his seemingly OP God of Thunder mode from Ragnarock
-Wanda strongest Avenger?
-Since Loki has the tessaract clearly setting up the D+ Series does that mean branching timelines are in affect since the stone is away from its original place?
-Ive been reading that Carol was syphoning the power stone while holding onto the gauntlet so Thanos ripped the powerstone out and wallaped her. Is this true? I guess it makes sense being able to withstand a full headbut when in a previous scene she was just brushed away.
- Anyone else think Black WIdow got done dirty, no real funeral at all and basically forgotten once Tony died.

Oct 25, 2017
-Why did Thor not use his seemingly OP God of Thunder mode from Ragnarock
He's using Stormbreaker (and Mjolnir at times), I assumed Thor was fighting to the best of his abilities, his weight gain aside.

Wanda strongest Avenger?
That's Carol, Wanda's a glass cannon

-Since Loki has the tessaract clearly setting up the D+ Series does that mean branching timelines are in affect since the stone is away from its original place?
Ya

-Ive been reading that Carol was syphoning the power stone while holding onto the gauntlet so Thanos ripped the powerstone out and wallaped her. Is this true? I guess it makes sense being able to withstand a full headbut when in a previous scene she was just brushed away.
Not true, people just overthinking it, Carol was already glowing to begin with

- Anyone else think Black WIdow got done dirty, no real funeral at all and basically forgotten once Tony died.
She got done dirty in terms of not getting to share a funeral with Tony, but I wouldn't say she was forgotten. They directly mention her during the funeral, hoping she knows that they succeeded in bringing everyone back.

Oct 28, 2017
He doesn't use the Power Stone during the Hulk fight. The stones glow when they're in use and the Power Stone doesn't glow at all in the fight.
People need to stop thinking about the stones as a passive ability and start realizing that they're power ups that manifest when Thanos closes his fist.

The Power Stone gives Thanos the ability to fire those purple rays of pure power and when activated, endure physical damage and deal a massive amount of it (see his headbutt to Captain Marvel vs his Power Stone punch).