• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Sorta like how you are creating holes for the Russo's with this

"Once Cap - even from minutes after - goes back to the "main" timeline, he is also creating an alternate future because, from his perspective, even through an alternate reality, that moment happened in the past, since that would be the only way he would be able to use the time travel gps: only to go back further in time, not really the other way around."

The movie NEVER suggests it's about Caps perspective. It's about whether the act time travel is changing the past. If he travels to the present of a timeline, he isn't changing its past - even if this timelines date is chronologically earlier than the date he left from.
The film heavily suggests that the only way to go back to the future coming from the past is through the platform. I'm pretty sure even Russos said as much in an interview. The time travel - if it happened, I throughly don't believe it did, this is old Cap living in the MCU timeline - happened with Cap and he didn't go back through the platform, so of course if it ever did happen like the Russos say, it happened through his perspective.

So by their own rules - that I disagree with - Cap going back to the past creates an alternate future... in 2023 as well.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The film heavily suggests that the only way to go back to the future coming from the past is through the platform. I'm pretty sure even Russos said as much in an interview.

This is 100% true. And literally NOTHING in the movie contradicts this.

When Cap returned to the main timeline, he came from a point that was chronologically LATER than the prime timeline and jumped back via the GPS... Therefore No pad needed.

The time travel - if it happened, I throughly don't believe it did, this is old Cap living in the MCU timeline - happened with Cap and he didn't go back through the platform, so of course if it ever did happen like the Russos say, it happened through his perspective.

His perspective is irrelevant to whether or not a branch occurs. The branch is created depending on whether or not the travelers arrival would be an example of changing the past or joining the present.

The initial jumps to retrieve the stones all created new timelines, because the prime timeline did not have time travelers arrive in these moments. They WOULD be changing the past, but since the past can't be changed, a new timeline is created.

The jumps to return the Stone are made to the present of these new timeline. So they wouldn't be changing the past- Cap is just joining the PRESENT of those timelines.

When Cap is done returning stones, he lives beyond Chronological moment Banner, Bucky and Falcon were in. He then jumps BACK in time to the join those guys

So by their own rules - that I disagree with - Cap going back to the past creates an alternate future... in 2023 as well.

Nope. You aren't making a judgment based on their rules, you are going by your own.

If you follow the rules presented in the movie, it all checks out.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the idea of Cap creating an infinite amount of timelines so I'm going with the writers' explanation, the ones who developed the time travel for Endgame anyway.

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's not a paradox if it's self-consistent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_paradox

Wikipedia said:
A causal loop is a paradox of time travel that occurs when a future event is the cause of a past event, which in turn is the cause of the future event. Both events then exist in spacetime, but their origin cannot be determined. A causal loop may involve an event, a person or object, or information.[1][2] The terms boot-strap paradox, predestination paradox or ontological paradox are sometimes used in fiction to refer to a causal loop.[3][4]
None of this stuff is really that complicated people. I feel most are running along with flimsy inconsistent ideas, notions, and terminology instead of actually thinking or reading up about it.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
A continuity mistake no one here has noticed yet, Cap's shield isn't broken here.

efnva8dc01y21.jpg

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Nope. You aren't making a judgment based on their rules, you are going by your own.

This is hilarious. Joe Russo says himself that once you go back to the past, you create an alternate timeline. If you agree that Cap is going back from a point in the future, then it's creating an alternate future, like Joe says himself. The way you can't seem to grasp that is making me giggle.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's a problem with wikipedia's classification, as a paradox is a straight contradiction instead of anything escaping common intuition.
Really now? You're going to argue semantics even though the definitions are right there on the page? Now you're just arguing in bad faith.

How about you make an edit on that wikipedia page then, see how that goes for ya.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is hilarious. Joe Russo says himself that once you go back to the past, you create an alternate timeline. If you agree that Cap is going back from a point in the future, then it's creating an alternate future, like Joe says himself. The way you can't seem to grasp that is making me giggle.
If you go into your own past. They can go into the alternate pasts that they have already been to without creating another universe, as long as it's after they left from that universe.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
If you go into your own past. They can go into the alternate pasts that they have already been to without creating another universe, as long as it's after they left from that universe.
Once Cap lived 75 years and goes back from a point in the future to go back to the point on the bench, that's still his past. He delivers a shield that we have never seen as well. Hence, alternate future.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the idea of Cap creating an infinite amount of timelines so I'm going with the writers' explanation, the ones who developed the time travel for Endgame anyway.

The Russo's explanation doesn't have cap create infinite timelines. He creates 1.

The writers explanation would allow any time traveler to use time travel to infinitely use time travel to bring back lost people/items, without consequence. It's really stupid.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Once Cap lived 75 years and goes back from a point in the future to go back to the point on the bench, that's still his past. He delivers a shield that we have never seen as well. Hence, alternate future.

This is not true.

How can the point on the bench be HIS past? He landed at a moment that had yet to occur. It was literally NOBODY'S past... Because it's the present.

What are you even talking about at this point....

Also, you have no idea where he got the shield from. He could have had someone (Howard Stark) from the alternate reality he lived in, make a second one. He brought a shield into the prime timeline's present.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

There are already infinite timelines, what's one more?

But it has to create an infinite amount of timelines. If he creates one alternate timeline, then the 2023 Cap in each timeline will again go back into the past and create a new timeline.

In his new timeline he may be able to stop Thanos without time travel, given he has knowledge of the future.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

It's hilarious to me that you think I'M the one who can't grasp. When he travelled to return the stones, he was chronologically going backwards, but to points that weren't anyone's past. Only the initial jumps to get the stones and the jump to get his own Peggy, were actually going to the previously lived moments, ie, the past.

But it has to create an infinite amount of timelines. If he creates one alternate timeline, then the 2023 Cap in each timeline will again go back into the past and create a new timeline.

What's infinity + 1?

That said, I don't think every 2023 is identical, therefore I don't think every cap will do the same thing.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
This is not true.

How can the point on the bench be HIS past? He landed at a moment that had yet to occur. It was literally NOBODY'S past... Because it's the present.

What are you even talking about at this point....
Hahahahahaha....

Dude. He lived a life with Peggy, either by the screenwriters theory that I align to or Joe Russo's. Then he needed to go to a point in the future to go back to that moment. Nevermind how contrived this is - Cap going for an "alternate" version of the love of his life, living that life and going all the way to a point in that future so he could go back to that moment in the past - once he is in the future, according with Joe Russo's interviews, all he can do is to create an alternate future in the moment he travels back to. It only wouldn't create an alternate timeline with Joe Russo's theory if he went back to the platform. But that isn't what it happens. Hence why I said I broke their time travel theory.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
This is not true.

We saw Steve go to 2012 and fight himself. Yet we're still arguing about whether there can be two Steves at once and whether it's possible for Steve to appear in his own past.

Was anybody paying attention?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Hahahahahaha....

Dude. He lived a life with Peggy, either by the screenwriters theory that I align to or Joe Russo's. Then he needed to go to a point in the future to go back to that moment.

Nevermind how contrived this is - Cap going for an "alternate" version of the love of his life, living that life and going all the way to a point in that future so he could go back to that moment in the past - once he is in the future, according with Joe Russo's interviews, all he can do is to create an alternate future in the moment he travels back to. It only wouldn't create an alternate timeline with Joe Russo's theory if he went back to the platform. But that isn't what it happens. Hence why I said I broke their time travel theory.

Once you can accept that the moment he returned to the bench wasn't anyone's past, because literally no one had lived it until the moment we saw it happen, you'll have a eureka moment.

He travelled to the present.

I'm not sure how this is breaking their theory, when it's literally the theory the whole concept of the time heist is based on.

Step 1: create a branch of the main timeline by traveling to a point that has already been lived
Step 2: borrow a stone from this branch timeline
Step 3: return to the future via a pad, SNAP
Step 4: return the Stone to the present of the branch timelines, moments after its taken

Cap returned to the prime timeline using the very same logic that allows him to return the stones w/o create a new timeline.

Last edited:

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Once you can accept that the moment he returned to the bench wasn't anyone's past, because literally no one had lived it until the moment we saw it happen, you'll have a eureka moment.

He travelled to the present.

I'm not sure how this is breaking their theory, when it's literally the theory the whole concept of the time heist is based on.

Step 1: create a branch of the main timeline by traveling to a point that has already been lived
Step 2: borrow a stone from this branch timeline
Step 3: return to the future via a pad, SNAP
Step 4: return the Stone to the present of the branch timelines, moments after its taken

Cap returned to the prime timeline using the very same logic that allows him to return the stones w/o create a new timeline.
LMFAO.

Past, present AND future are all happening at same time.

Here is your eureka moment. The only way for Cap to go back to "our MCU" time - without the pad / platform I mean - according with the film rules is if he goes further in the future and go back in time. Once he lived his life with Peggy, then goes back in time AFTER that moment is his past, even from an alternate future, he is creating yet another alternate future. That all using Joe Russo's theory, which is broken and in fact doesn't work with the film at all up further inspection. Markus and McFeely rules, albeit less science based, work with the film and has even six macguffins to make it work: the infinity stones.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
LMFAO.

Past, present AND future are all happening at same time.

Here is your eureka moment. The only way for Cap to go back to "our MCU" time according with the film rules is if he goes further in the future and go back in time. Once he lived his life with Peggy, then goes back in time AFTER that moment is his past, even from an alternate future, he is creating yet another alternate future. That all using Joe Russo's theory, which is broken and in fact doesn't work with the film at all up further inspection. Markus and McFeely rules, albeit less science based, work with the film and has even six macguffins to make it work: the infinity stones.

Bro, you don't understand what you are saying. And your video has nothing to do with how time works in the movie.

Yes he did live, chronologically, beyond the moment he left the main timeline.

Yes, he traveled, chronologically backward, to the Mainline.

And just like when he traveled to return the stones, he traveled to the PRESENT of his target timeline. Thus no branches. No alternate ANYTHING.

His presence isn't changing anything because he's traveling to moments that have not occurred yet. You can't change something that previously didn't exist. THIS IS THE VERY FABRIC OF THE TIME HEIST.

The " six macguffins to make it work " doesn't even make sense, because it assumes travelers leave with stones. What if someone travels to the past and doesn't take a stone? They could use the past as a farm for characters and weapons, without consequence.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
So... how could Thanos 2014 go to the future then?
Through the pad / platform. Thanos and his whole armada came through there, it's the reason why 2014 Nebula activates the pad: to bring them to the future - THROUGH the pad.

Bro, you don't understand what you are saying. And your video has nothing to do with how time works in the movie.

Yes he did live, chronologically, beyond the moment he left the main timeline.

Yes, he traveled, chronologically backward, to the Mainline.

And just like when he traveled to return the stones, he traveled to the PRESENT of his target timeline. Thus no branches. No alternate ANYTHING.

His presence isn't changing anything because he's traveling to moments that have not occurred yet. You can't change something that previously didn't exist n THIS IS THE VERY FABRIC OF THE TIME HEIST.

The " six macguffins to make it work " doesn't even make sense, because it assumes travelers leave with stones. What if someone travels to the past and doesn't take a stone? They could use the past as a farm for characters and weapons, without consequence.

The "six macguffins" hold the realities together. Of course, if there's a drastic alteration of the timeline, that would also create an alternate line: Thanos and his armada leaving 2014, Thor meeting his mother in 2013, Loki escaping in 2012 with the Tesseract. All of those are branches. Also, I'd argue that Red Skull is also a branch that Cap would have to deal in Vormir, since the Russos themselves have confirmed before:

Once Cap has to live past his present on that bench and he doesn't come back through the platform / pad, he is coming back to a present where he is creating an alternate timeline. Russos rules, not mine. I disagree with that.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Through the pad / platform. Thanos and his whole armada came through there, it's the reason why 2014 Nebula activates the pad: to bring them to the future - THROUGH the pad.
Sure, I understand that. But it does mean that there's no fundamental reason people can't go to the future. Who knows what tech Steve used in his timeline.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
We saw Steve fight Steve in an alternate reality.

The entire film takes place in an alternate reality, statistically. Many Worlds don't go away just because you stopped paying attention. In this interpretation, every single quantum wave interaction is resolved in every possible way all of the time. If you think the Marvel version of time is weird, the physics it's based on will blow your mind.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Sure, I understand that. But it does mean that there's no fundamental reason people can't go to the future. Who knows what tech Steve used in his timeline.
Without the pad, we don't have any indication that Steve could be able to go to the future using only the Pym particles and the quantum time travel gps. In fact, the film makes it very on our faces that for them to go back to the future, they need to use the pad / platform. The Pym particles and the quantum time travel gps only take you further in the past.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I found pretty funny is the distance between the two respective armies was dictated solely by how far Thanos smacked Cap in their preceding fight.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
We saw Steve go to 2012 and fight himself. Yet we're still arguing about whether there can be two Steves at once and whether it's possible for Steve to appear in his own past.

Was anybody paying attention?
I don't think the point is whether there can be two Steves at the same time. Of course there can. Even if Steve went into the past to an alternate timeline, there would still be two Steves there. Plus 'his own past' is his past in the MCU timeline, in an alternate timeline he would share the universe with a different Steve, thus not going to 'his own past'.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Plus 'his own past' is his past in the MCU timeline, in an alternate timeline he would share the universe with a different Steve, thus not going to 'his own past'.

The screenwriters say he was in his own MCU timeline. Their theory work with the film best. I agree with them, unless the MCU prove me otherwise.

That moment when you realise that a lifetime of watching Doctor Who was time well spent.
giphy.gif

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

The "six macguffins" hold the realities together. Of course, if there's a drastic alteration of the timeline, that would also create an alternate line: Thanos and his armada leaving 2014, Thor meeting his mother in 2013, Loki escaping in 2012 with the Tesseract. All of those are branches. Also, I'd argue that Red Skull is also a branch that Cap would have to deal in Vormir, since the Russos themselves have confirmed before:

Once Cap has to live past his present on that bench and he doesn't come back through the platform / pad, he is coming back to a present where he is creating an alternate timeline. Russos rules, not mine. I disagree with that.

You think of as "past" merely as reference between the date the traveler leaves from and the date of the reality he arrives in.

This isn't the case. It's a reference to the arrival moment's position on the target timeline. Understand this, and you'll see that Russo's logic is 100% consistent.

All of those Branches you mention are created by the mere attempt to travel to a Moment that had already been passed. A new branch is created at that moment. in this new branch, that moment HASN'T BEEN PASSED. Everything that happens from this moment on is brand new.. It's the present.

these timelines were created before the stones were taken. The would continue to exist if a stone wasn't taken. And they continue to exist after the stones are returned. (Which is why Cap brought Thor's hammer back- So alternate Thor isn't fucked w/o it. Why would he return it if the stones "clip" the timeline from existence?)

We'll just have agree to disagree, until the TV shows and future movies continue to roll with what the Russo's (and everything in Endgame) have been suggesting)

Last edited:

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
The screenwriters say he was in his own MCU timeline. Their theory work with the film best. I agree with them, unless the MCU prove me otherwise.
Their theory works as well as the Russos' theory. I doubt we'll ever hear Feige say that MCU Peggy lived a happy life with Steve only to have that tragic Winter Soldier scene with younger Steve. It doesn't make anything better, at all, story-wise. But, who knows.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
You think of as "past" merely as reference between the date the traveler leaves from and the date of the reality he arrives in.

This isn't the case. It's a reference to the arrival moment's position on the target timeline. Understand this, and you'll see that Russo's logic is 100% consistent.

All of those Branches you mention are created by the mere attempt to travel to a Moment that had already been passed. A new branch is created at that moment. in this new branch, that moment HASN'T BEEN PASSED. Everything that happens from this moment on is brand new.. It's the present.

these timelines were created before the stones were taken. And they continue to exist after the stones are returned. (Which is why Cap brought Thor's hammer back. So alternate Thor isn't fucked w/o it. Why would he return it if the stones "clip" the timeline from existence?

We'll just have agree to disagree, until the TV shows and future movies continue to roll with what the Russo's (and everything in Endgame) have been suggested.
You are the one not getting it. I do understand that past, present and future are all happening at same time. The problem is, Joe Russo's rule of "going back to the past, immediately turning that past ie your current present an alternate timeline" undermines their own film. The screenwriters are right, and that's what the film tells us.

Their theory works as well as the Russos' theory. I doubt we'll ever hear Feige say that MCU Peggy lived a happy life with Steve only to have that tragic Winter Soldier scene with younger Steve. It doesn't make anything better, at all, story-wise. But, who knows.
Peggy lived after that, probably cared by old Steve himself. She and Steve lived a good life. I know how it's like to have a family member with Alzheimer's, so while it's devastating, I think both are glad for the time they got for each other.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
You are the one not getting it. I do understand that past, present and future are all happening at same time. The problem is, Joe Russo's rule of "going back to the past, immediately turning that past ie your current present an alternate timeline" undermines their own film. The screenwriters are right, and that's what the film tells us.

It doesn't undermine their film. You just don't understand the rules presented.

The past present and future happening at the same time isn't something the movie argues.

This is why the amount of time a time traveler experiences can differ greatly from the amount of time that passed in the main timeline.

The "going back to the past, immediately turning that past ie your current present an alternate timeline" line is just a round about way of saying you can't undo something that you've already experienced, but you can make it play out differently in an alternate branch. Nothing that occurred in this movie undermines this.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Based on what the movie presented to me, the Russo's logic works from end to end w/o flaw, in support of multiple branch theory. And the screen writer's theory is nonsensical. I'm pretty confident Marvel agrees and their future content will will role with the Russo's for this reason.

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Having seen it over the weekend for my 5th time (and it's still good, can almost imagine still wanting to go back and see it another time in the theater. Thanks A-List), the moments that still are able to get me the most choked up at this point are the moment between Steve and Sam since it feels so genuine and powerful, of course leading to the beautiful moment with Peggy, but also the Portals scene with such a hauntingly beautiful shot with Steve standing off alone against Thanos' army to Sam coming on the intercom to all the heroes arriving to the music to the Avengers Assemble moment. That is just an incredible build up from such despair to such hope and triumph, I just feel myself get overwhelmed with joy. Even seeing the mix of emotions wash over Steve's face in that whole scene is exactly how the audience is feeling.

It definitely is interesting watching the movie again because while I felt like my most reactionary to what is happening on screen in the first viewing while I'm just along for the ride, your mind is going so many different directions. I don't think Tony or Nat's death quite sunk in for me until the second viewing when I realized the characters weren't coming back and I got to catch more of the details. So much of the emotion and acting in this movie is aces, it feels like such a labor of love on so many levels, I can't help but feel that it elevates the movie beyond critiquing it within the confines of viewing it as a stand-alone experience, because it is so much richer of an experience if you've got to see it as the 23rd chapter in this story.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
By the way, regarding the whole timetravel discussion.. Feige just conclusively answered it on Reddit:

Q: 'The Russos and Markus/McFeely have recently shared some contradicting interpretations of Endgame's ending with Cap; whether he grows old in an alternate timeline or he grows old in the main MCU one, making him the father of Peggy's kids in Winter Soldier. Can you give us a definite canon answer for this?'

Feige: 'Yes.'

So, now that that's cleared up...

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
By the way, regarding the whole timetravel discussion.. Feige just conclusively answered it on Reddit:

Q: 'The Russos and Markus/McFeely have recently shared some contradicting interpretations of Endgame's ending with Cap; whether he grows old in an alternate timeline or he grows old in the main MCU one, making him the father of Peggy's kids in Winter Soldier. Can you give us a definite canon answer for this?'

Feige: 'Yes.'

So, now that that's cleared up...

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstud...reddit_im_kevin_feige_amaa/enp5j16/?context=3

Hahaha, and I replied him with my theory. Now it's settled. Yes is good enough. We will see this sorted out eventually.

Nov 30, 2017
For people who don't like Alternate timelines here you go with a batshit insane theory that I thought about. Since Marvel Comics like to use pocket universes I will use them here.

I personally prefer the alternate timelines theory. Because there's way too much Quantum physics involved and too many hints at a multiverse for it not to be.

This is only a thought experiment because it's fun.

If we look at the Fine-Tuned Universe "The proposition that the conditions that allow life in the Universe can occur only when certain universal dimensionless physical constants lie within a very narrow range of values, so that if any of several fundamental constants were only slightly different, the Universe would be unlikely to be conducive to the establishment and development of matter, astronomical structures, elemental diversity, or life as it is understood."

Applying this to the Marvel universe and how taking any stone can destabalize the Single Timeline and only putting it back would correct the timeline. We have to take the Fine-Tuned Universe theory and have the stones "6 singularities" be these "certain universal dimensionless physical constants within a narrow range of values".

Now changing any of these values by the slightest amount can cause a completely different universe to exist where life doesn't exist at all, gravity is completely different, etc.

My guess is the Mind Stone stores these default values of the Marvel Universe. While the other stones maintain these specific default values to their specific area. Time maintains the flow of time values, space maintains the expansion of space values, soul maintains the soul world values, reality maintains the basic physics of the universe, Power Stone I don't know, maybe maintains the link between all stones) allows you to change these fine tuned values is the Reality Stone. However as witnessed in the movies, these stones have a limited range if not used in conjunction with all the stones.

In Thor 2 Dark World these "Fine-Tuned" values can be changed so the the wormholes that connect all 9 realms (planets that I guess are the far corners of SpaceTime), can be used to interlock the wormholes permanently allowing the changed values to spread across the universe to create permanent darkness. Male moth has to wait for the Wormholes to perfectly line-up as the Reality Stone by itself has a limited range, so the portals lining up would create a shortcut to the entire universe.

Now applying the Fine-Tuned universe to the 6 stones means each of the 6 stones have these default values from inception to allow the creation of the Marvel Universe as the way it is up to the point they are used to change the default values or the end of SpaceTime. So as long as the 6 stones remain in the universe they can maintain their default values all throughout time and space in that specific universe until they are used or removed.

Now let's look at how Dr. Strange used the Time Stone to rewind a pocket of Hong Kong let's say like 10 mins. Now that pocket of Hong Kong is 10 minutes behind the natural timeline of the universe but because the past is the present and the present is the past, that pocket of Hong Kong still flows in the present of the timeline. This Pocket Universe is the size of the few blocks of Hong Kong and those people will have experienced a 10 minute time skip.

The Time Stone was used to change the default values, however since all 6 stones still exist at that specific moment SpaceTime in the present, This pocket universe the size of a few blocks, now merged with the main SpaceTime to maintain the default flow of time.

So when the Avengers travel back in time and remove the stone from that point in time it is happening in the present, not in the past. However for this to occur it would have to happen in another point in Space in SpaceTime, not just time.

Now remember when Scott says the 5 years was 5 hours. This is the Dr strange syndrome, those people in Hong Kong experiencing a 10 min time skip, Scott experiencing a 5 year time skip. These time skips only happening in a small radius.

Hong Kong it is a few blocks, Scott is the size of the plank scale. (SpaceTime).

So for the Avengers to travel back in time the reason they have to go through the time portal is because the time portal has to shrink that point in timespace to smaller than the plank scale creating a pocket universe in the Quantum Realm. As long as the stones exist in that pocket universe where they are supposed to be that pocket universe will always only remain a pocket universe because all 6 stones are there to maintain default values.

So when Hawkeye first travels back in time for 5 seconds, in the main SpaceTime at that point in time there is a pocket universe that existed for 5 seconds because no stone was removed from that point in SpaceTime. That pocket universe is only as old as Hawkeye existed in it which was I think a few minutes.

However because none of the stones were removed from that specific point in spaceTime, the stones can erase that pocket universe from existing and creating a new multiverse universe.

Now when the Avengers travel back in time they are also creating these pocket universes. However they are removing the stones from them. So these pocket universes have the potential to become new multiverse universes. Because not all 6 stones remain at that specific point in SpaceTime to maintain the default values of the main Universe.

So really Cap does not need to return Mjolnir and he takes it with him cuz it's his now to use in case he runs into trouble returning the stones to those pocket universe in SpaceTime.

So 1970 pocket universe is a few minute old pocket universe. Because the moment Tony and his father leave the storage are would be the point Cap returns the stone. However that pocket universe would exist in the Quantum realm, for however many days in the main SpaceTime it took to defeat Thanos, have the funeral, build the Time machine, and return to it. So returning the stone would erase that pocket universe completely once Cap leaves as the stones now exist all throughout SpaceTime to return to default values. Removing the need for a new multiverse universe to be created from this pocket universe.

So when Cap travels to the 1940's to spend his life with Peggy, he exists in a pocket universe for that instance which is the smallest measured time known to us is the atomic second. However that pocket universe is, let's say he froze in 1945, it is 2023. So that pocket universe which is 78 years of SpaceTime only existed for an atomic second in the main SpaceTime.

Now because that 1945 pocket universe was allowed to exist until the present of the Main SpaceTime, it would merge out of existence as long as during those 78 years in the pocket universe, none of the stones were removed from any point in SpaceTime, that contradicts the main SpaceTime continuum, Once the pocket universe reached the present, the stones would revert to their default values merging the pocket universe out of existence with the main SpaceTime. Hence bringing Old Man steve to the Main SpaceTime since that pocket Universe would have a time skip of an atomic second.

So in the end the Time machine is designed to create pocket universes and the gps is synced with it to travel between these pocket universes.

TLDR better to read whole thing too much nuance to summarize. But just think pocket universe that exist only for the time spent in them as old as the SpaceTime allows them to exist, before being erased as long as stones exist in SpaceTime continuum at that specific point that doesn't contradict their positions therefore not needing to expand that pocket universe out of the quantum realm into a multiverse universe/branched timeline. Therefore reverting the pocket universe's default values to that of the stones in the present of main spaceTime to correct it to default values.

Anyways so when AntMan shrinks to subatomic size he is creating more dense matter than a giant star collapsing onto itself to the point of creating a black hole, He is shrinking trillions of atoms to a size smaller than one atom and apparently shrinking forever. So how is he not creating a black hole? I wonder if pym particles can reverse a black hole.

Last edited: