• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
If Thanos is as powerful as he is in Endgame without any stones, how did his species die off so easily?

It's like the Saiyans all dying off without a Freeza blowing them up.

I'm under the impression that Thanos greaty oversimplifies the circumstances of the demise of his home planet and species.

The idea that overpopulation alone world turn a planet into a wasteland AND eradicate a space fairing species doesn't pass the smell test. There must have been some cataclysmic event - perhaps Biological warfare.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Hah.

Patton Oswalt was on Kimmel to talk about the Avengers Movie and His Modok show. Dropping spoilers lol (At the start of the segment, he asked permission to talk about the movie lol

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it for the first time today and it was brilliant - really brought a lot of moving parts together in a way that managed to not be a mess and that definitely should not be under appreciated. There are so many high profile movies and video games that are just a shit show and it really means a lot that the investment (21 movies! So many years! So many hours!) really did pay off for fans.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Saw it for the first time today and it was brilliant - really brought a lot of moving parts together in a way that managed to not be a mess and that definitely should not be under appreciated. There are so many high profile movies and video games that are just a shit show and it really means a lot that the investment (21 movies! So many years! So many hours!) really did pay off for fans.

Yeah I keep imagining "what if X franchise had as satisfying and cohesive a buildup and payoff as Endgame has" and I can't think of many positive examples

Not to mention one that most fans appear to agree that it's a satisfying payoff

Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of the few I can think of that comes close to what Endgame did

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I keep imagining "what if X franchise had as satisfying and cohesive a buildup and payoff as Endgame has" and I can't think of many positive examples

Seems like most things get cancelled or end really badly, so that they were able to nail the ending so well is amazing.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
First time seeing it, some favorite moments:
  • Thanos straight up decapitated SO early, definitely a bold move
  • Ant Man piecing together what happened
  • Sorcerer Supreme handing over the stone when she heard what Strange did, knowing it was all pre-determined. SO AWESOME, I love Dr. Strange (the movie and the character) so this was probably my favorite moment in all of Endgame, even though it was a comparatively small one.
  • The female heroes shot, yes a bit on the nose, but I like how they're rolling with that and it put a smile on my face
  • "AVENGERS.......... assemble." Perfect delivery and you could see it coming from a mile away in the best possible way.
  • Captain finally getting to live his damn life!

Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of the few I can think of that comes close to what Endgame did

Yeah definitely. I mean there are smaller things like Six Feet Under or Breaking Bad that also managed to end very well, but I can't think of any that had the potential to fly off the rails so hard (so many characters, time travel, superpowers, etc) but did it well. There are so many tools with which the MCU could have jumped the shark and it's crazy that it has managed not to. And yeah, the fact that fans like it too. I mean I wouldn't want to have anything to do with pretty much any rabid fan base, let alone comic book and super hero nerds.

It's also pretty cool that the time travel worked double duty as a framing device for revisiting a bunch of the older movies.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized while rewatching the first Avengers that Hulk's "I was made for this" comment in Endgame, while cheesy, is a reference to the comment in the first movie where Banner asks Tony what it was that Hulk actually saved him from, with Tony's response being "guess we'll find out".

Cute callback.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized while rewatching the first Avengers that Hulk's "I was made for this" comment in Endgame, while cheesy, is a reference to the comment in the first movie where Banner asks Tony what it was that Hulk actually saved him from, with Tony's response being "guess we'll find out".

Cute callback.

The movie is FULL of subtle call backs like this... The attention to detail is insane.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the final, knowing look that Dr. Strange gives Iron Man says what that whole scene is about. Strange says that if he tells him what will happen, it won't happen. Up until then Strange assumes that Stark is perhaps more selfish then he is, but in that final look he's giving him an invisible nod. Stark sees his chance to get the gems and take his shot, and Strange is agreeing, silently, that that is the right path.

When Stark snaps he knows it will probably kill him, but I feel like Dr. Strange's look to him was a big part of the reason he did what he did when he did and knew it would work.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Best Buy posted their steelbook cover.. seems fitting :(

6344517_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Second viewing in the can. I managed to make myself miss SHIELD tonight as a result because I'm too used to that show being off the air oops

The film is not diminished in the slightest by knowing what is going to happen. It was, however, literally diminished by the projector bulb flickering in brightness throughout. I might have a bit of a headache

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy posted their steelbook cover.. seems fitting :(

6344517_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Hulkbuster and Fit Thor gotta go
Like why do they need to protect the home media release from spoilers
Especially when they're showing off the two biggest spoilers right there on the right
Hopefully their inclusions in those forms are just placeholder

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Hulkbuster and Fit Thor gotta go
Like why do they need to protect the home media release from spoilers
Especially when they're showing off the two biggest spoilers right there on the right
Hopefully their inclusions in those forms are just placeholder
Well, out of context tony and nat don't technically spoil anything.
When Tony calls rocket, Ratchet, is that a Ratchet and Clank reference? It makes sense.
I'm guessing yea, or just not remembering his name, but could be both.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was curious to see what the damage to Hulk's arm looked like and I pulled up a short clip on Youtube that was supposed to be just that part.
Then it kept going for a minute and....
Half of the plants got snapped, too? Holy hell, what a dumb retcon.
Hawkguy has kept his wife's cell phone plan and kept her phone plugged in for five years? The fuck?
OMG, Steppenwolf's sneak attack just turned Avengers HQ to dust. Killing most of the Avengers like that was a bold move. Wait, all of the normal humans inside are still completely fine? ...

Oct 28, 2017
I was curious to see what the damage to Hulk's arm looked like and I pulled up a short clip on Youtube that was supposed to be just that part.
Hawkguy has kept his wife's cell phone plan and kept her phone plugged in for five years? The fuck?
OMG, Steppenwolf's sneak attack just turned Avengers HQ to dust. Killing most of the Avengers like that was a bold move. Wait, all of the normal humans inside are still completely fine? ...

Go back to Cinemasins

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Oddly enough, I also thought of the Cell Phone thing when I watched it lol. I was a bit confused, but like, whatever lmao.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

You mad because comic book characters survived an impossible situation? I guess you haven't watched ANY of the MCU movies for the last decade or ever read a comic book...

The phone stuff is silly...just tell yourself it was a voip call or something, and she called from the house

As far as Wakandan trees, how do you know that some other part of the country didn't lose a lot of its plant life. For all you know there's some planet that no longer any plants at all. Random doesn't mean proportional.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I must be the only one freaked out by the use of a child film character to advertise burgers. The picture doesn't send a comforting message.

Dude is fucking fan art, and the burger is a call back to Tony getting Burger King in Iron Man 1. It's not an advertisement. It's just a nod to both of them liking burgers.... which is part of the Morgan/Happy Hogan scene at the end of the movie.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Clearly didn't though as no plants or trees disappear in Wakanda.
The Russo's confirmed it was all living things, not just people. Even Black Widow said the same when she said Thanos did exactly what he said he was going to do, which was eliminate half of all life in the universe.

But I understand what you're saying, because the grass and trees and things didn't dust. Maybe the snap goes by classifications of life, people, animals, plants, etc in some sort of chronological order.

Notice the birds that Antman sees in the tree after Hulk snaps back everything and he says he thinks it worked.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
When Tony calls rocket, Ratchet, is that a Ratchet and Clank reference? It makes sense.

Probably a coincidence. I doubt the writers were banking on a Ratcher & Clank reference landing with general audiences. There's also the Transformer named Ratchet but it's likely just Tony being Tony and not getting Rocket's name quite right.

Edit lol the cheeseburger concern trolling is back

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dude is fucking fan art, and the burger is a call back to Tony getting Burger King in Iron Man 1. It's not an advertisement. It's just a nod to both of them liking burgers.... which is part of the Morgan/Happy Hogan scene at the end of the movie.

No no no, we mustn't allow the evil fanart industry corrupt our minds by exploiting children characters to sell us burghers. This is a serious concern.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
There are multiple. The one victory we know he got was undone, but there's multiple new timelines created where he's still a threat. They killed 2 Thanoses (Thani?) but created at least 4 or 5 more and did nothing to stop them.

Those other timelines will have the same Avenues available to them for defense against Thanos.

And if Cap was really nice. He'd leave an "aim for the head" message somewhere.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Those other timelines will have the same Avenues available to them for defense against Thanos.

And if Cap was really nice. He'd leave an "aim for the head" message somewhere.
Sure. It's just kinda funny that they explicitly point out that it's not a "don't change anything" situation and yet they try to not change anything even though it would've been better to help with Thanos.

But I get why the movie wouldn't go there.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
How about watching the movie in order to judge it?

I must be the only one freaked out by the use of a child film character to advertise burgers. The picture doesn't send a comforting message.
...really?

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That is not how it works. It's not by place, it's in an universe scale. Who knows what it done to what places in the world.
I think it is by planet, since the whole point is to prevent planets from overpopulating and burning their resources so quickly that they die out. If it's averaged out across a universal scale, then it's far more likely you'll have planets where life is mostly or entirely wiped out, and you'll have planets where nothing changes and they just run into the same overpopulation problem. If it's not 50 percent of each planet's species, then it's not accomplishing the goal. Plus, we know Earth's population was halved, which would be a hell of a coincidence if Thanos wasn't doing it on a planet-by-planet basis.

So how come the Avengers are suiting up for battle when Hulk is putting on the gauntlet? Are they worried he might attack them or something?

They're worried about some kind of energy backlash from the gauntlet. That's why Tony has the base sealed up too.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

Well I'm relieved at that. The exploitation would be too painful if the brand placement were paid for, and a piece of fan art is likely to get much less exposure than promotional material.

Dude.....you're the same one from before...

Yes, funny how some posters seem to hold consistent opinions, isn't it? Seriously, yes, I'm one of the people who occasionally post strong opinions about child abuse and exploitation. How weird.

Yes, I really hate pop culture being used to promote unhealthy diet choices to vulnerable children. Again, how weird am I?