• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

This is all that matters

Passing Avatar's total WW will be a bonus

It honestly doesn't even make sense to compare Avatar and Avengers: Endgame tbh. Avatar and Iron Man came out within a year of each other, and they were both the first of their respective series. It's all the more amazing that Avatar mopped the floor with Iron Man because it was an untested property, when on the other hand multiple generations of people grew up with Iron Man. The end of Avatar phase 1 will be a $6 billion picture at a minumum. I don't even want to speculate how much Avatar: Endgame will make. Like it really boggles the mind that Cameron's warning shot blew the entire 20 movie MCU out of the water when you are thinking about it, which I am.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It honestly doesn't even make sense to compare Avatar and Avengers: Endgame tbh. Avatar and Iron Man came out within a year of each other, and they were both the first of their respective series. It's all the more amazing that Avatar mopped the floor with Iron Man because it was an untested property, when on the other hand multiple generations of people grew up with Iron Man. The end of Avatar phase 1 will be a $6 billion picture at a minumum. I don't even want to speculate how much Avatar: Endgame will make. Like it really boggles the mind that Cameron's warning shot blew the entire 20 movie MCU out of the water when you are thinking about it.
Iron Man still had a bigger opening weekend than Avatar and that's when the studios get the biggest percentage of the box office money, so it doesn't matter that much that Avatar ended up making more in total.

Iron Man was also undercut a week later by Markus and McFeely's Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
At this point what realistically will the final number be? With the upcoming rerelease are we thinking it will fall within $10m? I can't believe it ended up this close.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So since no one has mentioned it yet, Endgame passed AVATARs initial WW run this weekend 👀

That's the last milestone for Endgame though. You will be remembered. For those that want to celebrate, celebrate and pop your bottles of champagne.

Remember, it's the total current WW numbers that matter.

Well, there is an Universe where that was all that mattered, and now PhoncipleBone is paying there. I see that as an absolute win

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere, Zatt is refreshing this thread, CTRL + F ing his name on each page while Enya's Orinoco Flow plays in the background.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
At this point what realistically will the final number be? With the upcoming rerelease are we thinking it will fall within $10m? I can't believe it ended up this close.
With its current trajectory, Endgame will finish at 2.760M unassisted, which is 28M short of Avatar. The final number could be higher (2-5M) but I will take the lowest number.

For domestic, personally I think the expansion will bring in 5M more which makes it 2.765M and 23M short.

For international, currently it has been confirmed to come back in Brazil, Spain, Chile, Australia, New Zealand and Sweden (confirmed by local news); German, UK, Russia - only IMAX for 4 days, Malaysia, Belgium and Israel (unconfirmed sources). Furthermore, something is happening at South Korea because the presale for Endgame here is increasing abnormally.

Can the film make 23M more in these international market? I for myself doesn't think so, it's a lot of money. But on the other one, what Disney wants, Disney gets.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So is the plan to have screenings the day Far From Home starts so that folks can do a double feature?

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I'm in for that bet. I'm sure Avatar 2 won't dethrone 1. As much as Cameron fans expect it.
I don't think he threepeats. He destroyed the previous record twice in a row, and did it with original non franchise films. This is his first sequel since 1991. Of course, Cameron's track record on sequels is second to none, so who the fuck knows.

But for as much as I don't think he will three peat the record, I also would not be shocked if he did just because he sacrificed his soul to some ancient being long ago.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Era has argued about Avengers vs Avatar for almost 5000 posts. More people have viewed this thread than BronsonLee 's favourite film, Colossal, in theatres.

Status
Not open for further replies.