• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Whichever way this bet goes it's been a fun ride so far.... Kinda hoping for Avatar to stay number 1.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
tumblr_ohfbhl1DgS1u2ragso3_500.gif

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
If Endgame can't pass Avatar then I don't think anything will. If 11 years and 21 films worth of build up and hype isn't enough, then what is?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Re-releases of recent movies are not relevant to the box office. No one cares anymore to show up in meaningful numbers.
I'm not saying they are. Avatar is definitely getting a re-release before Avatar 2. This is a given. So even if Endgame tops it, Avatar will be able to once again top it, since the difference will be so close to each other. Avatar got $30m for its re-release. With the marketing blitz that Avatar will get once it's sequel gets closer, it would make some bank, maybe even more so than it's last re-release, and more than enough to once again top the highest grossing film record.

I do believe that once new technology comes for theaters and the MCU grows bigger in scale, we will end up getting re-releases of sorts for these films. Not saying something now, while I do believe that Endgame will grab a best picture nomination and campaign heavy for it, with a re-release once that happens next year. Endgame is too good and too big of a blockbuster for the Academy to ignore, imho.

Having your biggest films so close to each other adds for the possibility of hype for each other through re-releases. For me it makes sense that Endgame is pushed to beat Avatar, only to lose the crown eventually to Avatar once again. TL; DR: Disney wins by having these films grossings so close to each other, and I don't think anything will come close to this other than the inevitable Episode X.

Last edited:

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This hinges on Endgame making above $860m domestically if it doesn't pick up internationally. I still stand firm on Endgame making $840m-$850m domestically. Avatar shall remain king.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am curious which record stands longer:

The Force Awakens as the highest grossing domestic movie or Avatar as the highest grossing worldwide movie.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I saw endgame for the 5th time tonight and I still loved it all.

Am I crazy?
If anyone judges you for watching a movie you loved multiple times in the theater they're lame and should be ignored
Hoping that Endgame still has enough in the tank to do it, but recent comments from people who know their shit in Box Office ERA aren't encouraging

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
What will be worst? Cameron fans gloating their superiority, MCU fans finally busting that nut, or PhoncipleBone being the most boastful bastard to ever walk the earth? I think no one wins. Pls asteroid destroy this planet.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Avatar 2 will. Man. I can't wait for someone to go back in this thread and compile a compilation of the "it's inevitable" posts.
No way

Avatar 2 isn't going to do enough to do those kinds of numbers. The sequel that came out a decade after the first movie. I'm betting a lot of ppl don't care about avatar anymore and the 3d gimmick is dead. And we know there are another three or four avatar movies coming. So why would ppl rush out to see the second film in a four or five film series?

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to make an avatar bet thread that Avatar 2 will not make it to 2 billion. It's too bad that I need to wait 4 more years to make it.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
So uh how far is Avengers away ? Pretty sure it has another month in theaters or atleast it should so just curious what the numbers are.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't even seen Avatar since it came out in theaters way back when, and I absolutely loved Endgame... but, I'm really for Avatar holding onto the crown. I don't know why, maybe it's nostalgia for a simpler time, but I'd rather Avatar win.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
TFA. Endgame had an opening week over $100M higher, and still will finish nearly $90M behind.
Yet it took 22 years for a movie other than Avatar to pass Titanic. I dunno which will last longer.

Honestly, I think the Endgame domestic OW will hold longer, because that was so fucking far ahead of everything else, while total gross can be a marathon.

Status
Not open for further replies.