• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So Endgame finishes #2 and #2.

tenor.gif

Oct 28, 2017
I still havent seen endgame even though it was and remains the most anticipated film ive ever wanted too.

It will break the record when I deem it.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I haven't even seen Avatar since it came out in theaters way back when, and I absolutely loved Endgame... but, I'm really for Avatar holding onto the crown. I don't know why, maybe it's nostalgia for a simpler time, but I'd rather Avatar win.

I didn't really like Avatar, but I'm really happy that the top grossing movie is a fully original film—not part of a franchise, not an adaption, nothing.

I don't think there's ever been a film in history more opposite to this old-fashioned ideal than Avengers. A franchise with 22 movies thus far and an adaption of material that's spanned every possible medium over the past 80 years? Sweet jesus.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
"Avatar 2 will not pass $2 billion worldwide. Who will make an avatar bet about that?" That'll be a fun avatar bet thread to make in a decade when Avatar 2 comes out.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just shows how exceptional Avatar was, it did all this without 22 movie build up.

It's not going to be topped in the long-term unless there's a catastrophic drop in the dollar value.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just shows how exceptional Avatar was, it did all this without 22 movie build up.

It's not going to be topped in the long-term unless there's a catastrophic drop in the dollar value.
I'm not sure if that buildup is a benefit or a hindrance. Two of the three highest grossing films of all time are not sequels. I could see ppl not having seen all the mcu movies passing on endgame because of that. I personally have not seen endgame because I'm waiting to see captain marvel and that's still not out digitally.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm not sure if that buildup is a benefit or a hindrance. Two of the three highest grossing films of all time are not sequels. I could see ppl not having seen all the mcu movies passing on endgame because of that. I personally have not seen endgame because I'm waiting to see captain marvel and that's still not out digitally.
Captain Marvel isn't really necessary for Endgame. Then again, I was perfectly fine with watching Infinity War before Black Panther and didn't feel like I missed much (Black Panther was still great), so maybe I shouldn't be trusted

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

???

It's absolutely a benefit in Endgame's case. How could anyone argue that it was a hindrance? This movie exploded right out on the first weekend, with trailers that showed jackshit about the actual movie mind you, and it's only gotten to where it is due to sheer gravity after that monster opening weekend rather than anything that could be considered good legs at the box office.

The hype for this thing reached an absolute critical mass based mostly (or you could say solely) on the backing of 11 years of the MCU's history, and the entire marketing campaign was based upon the fact that Engame was a conclusion to that. To the point where it broke what people's thought were hard limits on the domestic box office.

Last edited:

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
I've already made peace with the fact that this movie isn't topping Avatar. Even with best-case drops from here on out, Endgame can only hope to top Avatar's original theatrical run.

Taking a step back from all the hype, it's still really impressive the numbers Endgame managed to do. People quickly forgot that prior to release, nobody following the BO seriously expected Endgame to top Avatar. I remember when I first saw this topic I thought to myself how pointless it was. "Who in their right mind would take the bet?" Asking for a $700m growth on a $2b movie is a tall order after just one year. Yet here we are!

The cool thing is that now we have two $2.7b titans sitting at the top of the BO. It's not just the untouchable Avatar anymore; people will be mentioning Endgame alongside it for years to come.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Captain Marvel isn't really necessary for Endgame. Then again, I was perfectly fine with watching Infinity War before Black Panther and didn't feel like I missed much (Black Panther was still great), so maybe I shouldn't be trusted

IMO, Black Panther's importance to Infinity War was a lot bigger than Captain Marvel's importance to Endgame. Without Black Panther you lose a lot of why Wakanda is so important in that final battle, that btw served as the backdrop for nearly half the film. Meanwhile, Captain Marvel was what you expect from an origin story and had little consequence to her role in Endgame which ultimately ended up to about 5 minutes scattered throughout the film in key moments to make sure the heroes are set up for victory.

Oct 28, 2017
Asides from Star wars what sequel with a break as long as Avatar has made billions?

Who'd have thought a fantasy movie of 8ft CGI blue cats would make billions, and have long legs in the Box Office, drawing in teens and soccer moms alike?

Avatar's appeal is just too broad, and too large. Everyone will want to see it. And when it happens, no one will truly be surprised.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I know I'd probably be fine without seeing captain marvel, but I'd likely not ever see captain marvel if I watched endgame first. Cap'n marvel just doesn't look interesting enough on its own for me.

But that's just me having missed one mcu film. What about the countless ppl that have missed several? What's in it for them to see endgame? Twenty two films is a huge investment

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
???

It's absolutely a benefit in Endgame's case. How could anyone argue that it was a hindrance? This movie exploded right out on the first weekend, with trailers that showed jackshit about the actual movie mind you, and it's only gotten to where it is due to sheer gravity after that monster opening weekend rather than anything that could be considered good legs at the box office.

The hype for this thing reached an absolute critical mass based mostly (or you could say solely) on the backing of 11 years of the MCU's history, and the entire marketing campaign was based upon the fact that Engame was a conclusion to that. To the point where it broke what people's thought were hard limits on the domestic box office.
Like I said look at the top three highest grossing films ever. Two of them are not sequels. So no, it's not a fact that it's a benefit. You're looking at this from your own perspective, someone who has very likely seen every mcu film and saw endgame opening night. What about the countless ppl that have seen one mcu film and have no vested interest in seeing endgame?

I used my own personal example as to why I have not seen endgame. And I've seen every mcu film except the last two that released, a majority of those in theaters at that.

Yes it did huge numbers out of the gate, driven by ppl like you who have seen every mcu film and needed to see how it ends. Once ppl like you saw it, the numbers dried up. It's not like avatar or titanic that put up big numbers months after release.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said look at the top three highest grossing films ever. Two of them are not sequels. So no, it's not a fact that it's a benefit. You're looking at this from your own perspective, someone who has very likely seen every mcu film and saw endgame opening night. What about the countless ppl that have seen one mcu film and have no vested interest in seeing endgame?

I used my own personal example as to why I have not seen endgame. And I've seen every mcu film except the last two that released, a majority of those in theaters at that.

Yes it did huge numbers out of the gate, driven by ppl like you who have seen every mcu film and needed to see how it ends. Once ppl like you saw it, the numbers dried up. It's not like avatar or titanic that put up big numbers months after release.
For Endgame it's absolutely a fact. It's the reason it has gotten as close to Avatar as it has.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I didn't really like Avatar, but I'm really happy that the top grossing movie is a fully original film—not part of a franchise, not an adaption, nothing.

I don't think there's ever been a film in history more opposite to this old-fashioned ideal than Avengers. A franchise with 22 movies thus far and an adaption of material that's spanned every possible medium over the past 80 years? Sweet jesus.

I'd like to see Avatar toppled precisely because in my opinion it is a mediocre film that only drew the crowds it did because of James Cameron's name, and the 3D gimmick. But I totally see your point.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see Avatar toppled precisely because in my opinion it is a mediocre film that only drew the crowds it did because of James Cameron's name, and the 3D gimmick. But I totally see your point.
That makes no sense. I don't care for it either, but even Jimbo doesn't have the kind of star power to draw in that kind of money for such a long haul. 3D or not. It resonated enough with people based on the movie itself. It had to. 3D was just a helpful factor.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
That makes no sense. I don't care for it either, but even Jimbo doesn't have the kind of star power to draw in that kind of money for such a long haul. 3D or not. It resonated enough with people based on the movie itself. It had to. 3D was just a helpful factor.

You say that, but if that were the case, people would probably remember it a bit better. People turned out to see it because it was a Big Deal cultural event, not because it resonated with them.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
You say that, but if that were the case, people would probably remember it a bit better. People turned out to see it because it was a Big Deal cultural event, not because it resonated with them.
Quick. Explain it holding the highest (2D) home release sales for 5 years, before being slightly edged out by Frozen?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Is this your claim to any number one film for it's time then? I can remember bits and pieces of Titanic at this point. That's it. Doesn't mean I'm by any means part of the majority on that. Endgame is a big deal cultural event too. Anything rocketing to, or close to number one is. Doesn't mean it doesn't resonate. People don't go back to see a thing more than once if it doesn't resonate.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Did I make this bet? I can't remember. I remember I've affirmed my opinion that Avatar is a terrible movie that doesn't deserve its title, but not if I also held myself back like in the Detective Pikachu thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.