• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Quick. Explain it holding the highest (2D) home release sales for 5 years, before being slightly edged out by Frozen?

I can't. I'm just describing it's relevance to the cultural Zeitgeist as I perceive it. If I'm wrong, I guess I'm living in a different world to you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is this your claim to any number one film for it's time then? I can remember bits and pieces of Titanic at this point. That's it. Doesn't mean I'm by any means part of the majority on that. Endgame is a big deal cultural event too. Anything rocketing to, or close to number one is. Doesn't mean it doesn't resonate. People don't go back to see a thing more than once if it doesn't resonate.

Everyone loved Titanic. People talk about that movie fondly. Hey, anecdotal etc, but in my personal experience Avatar gets treated like the Simpsons movie: "oh yeah, I guess I saw that." People are only talking about it now because of the record, and don't @ me, but tbpfh, until now, my friends and I all thought Titanic still held it.

Movies that are cultural events can be beloved. I believe Endgame already is. Avatar just...isn't. It never was.

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Movies that are cultural events can be beloved. I believe Endgame already is. Avatar just...isn't. It never was.

That's not quite true, everyone I watched it liked it and still has fond memories of their experience with it. I rewatched it over Christmas to be sure if it held up and It does.

:)

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
You do not get 2.7 billion dollars on James Camerons name alone. It may be forgettable now since it's been 10 damn years.

Good movies are timeless. No one has forgotten Titanic, and I doubt many people will forget Endgame. In my experience, Avatar's not a movie people talk about. I didn't think that was an especially original or unusual opinion. I can't explain its success, and I'm just describing my observations of its current mindshare.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Good movies are timeless. No one has forgotten Titanic, and I doubt many people will forget Endgame. In my experience, Avatar's not a movie people talk about. I didn't think that was an especially original or unusual opinion. I can't explain its success, and I'm just describing my observations of its current mindshare.
I hated Titanic day one, the script wound me up and I was a Cameron super fan before then

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif
giphy.gif

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Outside of film fandom bubbles like era I'm sure Avatar is beloved just fine. Most of the "normal" people who propelled it to 2.8 bil have never heard of Ferngully.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
"But AVATAR was forgettable" says the forum that just won't shut up about AVATAR.
xD

To be fair, I too have forgotten it. But that's because I haven't seen it since the year it came out on home video. I forget the details of most movies that I haven't seen in a decade, but maybe that's just me. I couldn't tell you much of anything other than the general beginning and ending of Watchmen, Half-Blood Prince, District 9, Terminator: Salvation, and other movies that I haven't watched since 2009. It's not because they were all bad movies; I just have little compulsion to watch them again so the details fade.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The only reason it gets brought up in discussions is because it's the #1 box office movie in terms of take. If it did $2b it'd be seldom heard of.
You mean the only reason it's brought it it was so massively successful that nothing has come close to it's success since until now 10 years later.

End Game run is a testament to how obscenely successful Avatar was.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe people in here defending Avatar or gloating about the China halt on showings are anything but bad faith actors or shit stirrers. It's such an aggressively mediocre film you can't actually care about it, I refuse to believe you lol.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I can't believe people in here defending Avatar or gloating about the China halt on showings are anything but bad faith actors or shit stirrers. It's such an aggressively mediocre film you can't actually care about it, I refuse to believe you lol.

Quality wise and story wise Endgame and Avatar are on par with eachother.

EDIT: and to be fair, for Endgame you need to watch several movies to understand the plot while Avatar is an isolated experience.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never in my life have i heard universally glowing reviews from everyone who have seen avatar. It will never be matched again. So many people saw it and loved it. Lots of people who almost never go to the movies, it was massive. Saying it was never beloved is maybe the dumbest take ever.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Never in my life have i heard universally glowing reviews from everyone who have seen avatar. It will never be matched again. So many people saw it and loved it. Lots of people who almost never go to the movies, it was massive. Saying it was never beloved is maybe the dumbest take ever.

Yeah... since if it wasn't it wouldn't make almost 3 billion dollars.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe you are all too young but even on our previous place 90% really really liked it. Only after the nerd crowd started to turn on it.

The general audience still has fond memories. Look at how the theme park is doing.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Avatar is a medicore and shitty movie i agree, but Endgame on the other hand is not a masterpiece or something.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
Every single person I know bar one said it was "okay." Even my dad, a huge James Cameron fan, was disappointed by the push towards even more spectacle and a less engaging story from him. Avatar is the biggest grossing movie because it looked good, not because it was good.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every single person I know bar one said it was "okay." Even my dad, a huge James Cameron fan, was disappointed by the push towards even more spectacle and a less engaging story from him. Avatar is the biggest grossing movie because it looked good, not because it was good.

And all those people bought the bluray in record numbers months later because they thought it was just okay? All these people flock to the Avatar theme park because it was just okay?

What will be the excuse when Avatar 2 does gangbusters? I'm not talking about the quality of the movie just how much people liked it.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
So if Endgame is such a huge cultural event, but Avatar isn't, then why is Endgame at risk of falling short of Avatar's record?

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean i'm not even a fan of the movie, i thought it was fine just like Endgame was fine. Neither deserve a #1 more than the other but all these hot takes that it was never liked and just grossed x because of x are so bad. Now i'm kinda rooting for A1 to stay on top. At the end of the day all the money will flow in to the same horrible company.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So if Endgame is such a huge cultural event, but Avatar isn't, then why is Endgame at risk of falling short of Avatar's record?
The world is in a pretty different place when it comes to exposure to massive CG-driven action films. If you scrubbed Avatar from existence in 2009 and replaced it with something on the visual level of The Lion King remake, people would have lost their minds. No one came out of Avatar praising the story, they praised the visuals.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
The world is in a pretty different place when it comes to exposure to massive CG-driven action films. If you scrubbed Avatar from existence in 2009 and replaced it with something on the visual level of The Lion King remake, people would have lost their minds. No one came out of Avatar praising the story, they praised the visuals.
Roger Ebert (and many other critics) came out praising the characters and story actually.

Ebert even compared it to his first time watching Star Wars in 77.

Oct 31, 2017
The way some of y'all talk about avatar I'm surprised it doesn't get annual screenings in the park during summer or have a spin off cartoon or video games or toys that people still buy; SOMEthing to affirm this cultural phenomenon that is Avatar besides a themed roller coaster.

and then the fact that Avatar enjoyed a Theatrical re-release isn't brought up enough; it's not like the film organically skyrocketed. It was in theaters way longer than Endgame has been & and Endgame is already within range

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Roger Ebert (and many other critics) came out praising the characters and story actually.

Ebert even compared it to his first time watching Star Wars in 77.
And somehow missed that it's a weak remix of Pocahontas? Describe the villain's character and motivations to me. I had to watch that movie nearly 60 times across its versions for the home release on disc. I can't even remember his name.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Dude it had legs the like of which haven't been since the Titanic. To say it had nothing sort of some of the best word of mouth for a movie in the past two decades would be straight up false. If a good looking movie is all that was needed to make 2.7 Billion world wide more movies would achieve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.